_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ULM Money

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default ULM Money

I think that the vote on student athletic fees was today---Anybody know the results???

Default Re: Monroe Money

I believe they are voting today and tommorrow.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Monroe Money

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    _ I believe they are voting today and tommorrow. _
    Think you are correct---saw it later ---2 day deal---make sure they can rig the deal---some really bad pub in the Monroe paper---We need our vote soon!!!!!

Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: ULM Money

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ I think that the vote on student athletic fees was today---Anybody know the results??? _
    The result will be the same regardless of whether the fee passes or not.

ULM will still have the lowest budget in the Belt either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ I think that the vote on student athletic fees was today---Anybody know the results??? _
    I got a friend of mine to call a contact that he has at ULM. It's a two-day deal, and it will be close.

Personally, I hope they get it. If it passes, no one can stop us from doing the same thing.

If it fails on the other hand, there is an opening in the door to say, 'It failed at UNO and ULM, let's revisit the whole idea.' We would probably still be able to do it, but it would mean that our people need to spend time and political capital on that, rather than even bigger fish.

And yes, the bigger fish are about athletics as well as academics.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ I got a friend of mine to call a contact that he has at ULM. It's a two-day deal, and it will be close.

Personally, I hope they get it. If it passes, no one can stop us from doing the same thing.

If it fails on the other hand, there is an opening in the door to say, 'It failed at UNO and ULM, let's revisit the whole idea.' We would probably still be able to do it, but it would mean that our people need to spend time and political capital on that, rather than even bigger fish.

And yes, the bigger fish are about athletics as well as academics. _

Doesn't Tech already do it?

http://www.thenewsstar.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

"Louisiana Tech reported 6,326 students enrolled in its undergraduate program this past fiscal year with its student aid topping out at a little more than $3 million in athletic fees."

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    _ Doesn't Tech already do it?

"Louisiana Tech reported 6,326 students enrolled in its undergraduate program this past fiscal year with its student aid topping out at a little more than $3 million in athletic fees." _
    Hmmm... but it also says we get $2+ mill from our students.

Not sure now.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: ULM Money

_ Hmmm... but it also says we get $2+ mill from our students.

Not sure now. _
    Now Dr. Fun,

Do you believe everything that comes out of the Tech media? lol

As a University (UL) we hope this passes. Then it will be out turn in the near future.

Lafitte

Ragin' Cajuns Re: ULM Money

To Turbine:

A while back there was some discussion on here via UL Victory as was explained to everyone how you can use student fees. If you could find that and paste it here, it would be appreciated.

Lafitte

_ Hmmm... but it also says we get $2+ mill from our students.

Not sure now. _
    Yeah something is not right with this.

Reading ULM's comments makes me wonder what our students would think about a raise in tuition for athletics. I know we have quite a larger fan base and our school seems to have the spirit needed but on the other hand students aren't to fond of tuition hikes. I can just see the "THIS IS JUST ANOTHER TAX" people screaming and the sports haters. We will need to get a clear message our there from our school and media. No confusion on what we want! Everyone seems to be confused on the ULM situation. I think if we get the message out we would have no problem passing something like this!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post

Reading ULM's comments makes me wonder what our students would think about a raise in tuition for athletics. I know we have quite a larger fan base and our school seems to have the spirit needed but on the other hand students aren't to fond of tuition hikes. I can just see the "THIS IS JUST ANOTHER TAX" people screaming and the sports haters. We will need to get a clear message our there from our school and media. No confusion on what we want! Everyone seems to be confused on the ULM situation. I think if we get the message out we would have no problem passing something like this! _
    Yes, I don't think now would be the time to try this here. Wait for a few winning seasons. We would need some momentum to pull this off, and I don't think we are quite there yet.

Things are changing...but trying this at UL right now would be a PR nightmare. Anytime you increase student fees for any reason you have to expect a backlash.

Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Get a poll and find out how the students feel before you take on this.

I've posted this in the past, but wouldn't the Athletic Improvement Fee be considered an athletic fee? These are my summer fees FYI.

E-LEARNING $ 90.00
    INSURANCE 14.00
    REG.FIXED 45.00
    GEN REGI 1126.15
    STU UNION 12.00
    STU TECH 45.00
    FIXED FEE 22.35
    ENERGY FEE 24.00
    STU HLTH 20.00
    PARK/TRANS 12.50
    RECREATION 10.00
    STU UNION 27.50
    ART MUSEUM 2.50
    ACAD EXCEL 60.00
    ATH IMPROV 7.50
    BAND ASSOC 2.50
    CHEERLEADR 3.00
    OPER. FEE 30.60
    LYCEUM 0.40
    STU UNION 10.00
    STU HLTH 5.00
    S G A 3.75
    AUX OPER 50.00
    TOTAL: $ 1623.75

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    _ Get a poll and find out how the students feel before you take on this. _
    Only 830 students voted in the SGA elections this year. If you wanted to pass an athletic fee, now would probably be a good time as only those who are "involved" on campus would more than likely vote.

wcd35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by nathancpike View Post
    _ I've posted this in the past, but wouldn't the Athletic Improvement Fee be considered an athletic fee? These are my summer fees FYI.

E-LEARNING $ 90.00
    INSURANCE 14.00
    REG.FIXED 45.00
    GEN REGI 1126.15
    STU UNION 12.00
    STU TECH 45.00
    FIXED FEE 22.35
    ENERGY FEE 24.00
    STU HLTH 20.00
    PARK/TRANS 12.50
    RECREATION 10.00
    STU UNION 27.50
    ART MUSEUM 2.50
    ACAD EXCEL 60.00
    ATH IMPROV 7.50
    BAND ASSOC 2.50
    CHEERLEADR 3.00
    OPER. FEE 30.60
    LYCEUM 0.40
    STU UNION 10.00
    STU HLTH 5.00
    S G A 3.75
    AUX OPER 50.00
    TOTAL: $ 1623.75 _
    I like that you have 3 student union fees

What do my Tuition and Fees pay for?
    Your tuition is divided into many different fees. Fees have been assessed by the Board of Supervisors, the University, and by the student body through regular elections. None of these fees are optional. Also, GENERALLY, these fees are for an in-state undergraduate student. Graduate, International and Out-of-State students may be subject to other specific charges as well. For a list of complete charges please send a request to: bursar@louisiana.edu

Board Assessed Fees

Tuition/General Registration
    - Up to $ 1501.15 per semester

Building Use Fee
    - $10.00 per semester

Academic Enhancement
    - $25.00 per semester

Academic Excellence
    - $10.00 per credit hour; $30.00 minimum, $120 maximum

Operational Fee
    - up to $61.20 per semester

University Assessed Fees

Records and Evaluation Fee ($10.00 per semester)
    - Provides funding for maintenance of student academic records; provides students with free copies of University transcripts

Auxiliary Operations Fee($100.00 assessed at 4 or more credit hours)
    - Provides ancillary student support for Auxiliary services which include the Student Union, transit system, operations, recreational sports/activities, the health clinic, and other student related services.

Energy Fee (up to $48.00 per semester)
    - Provide funding to offset energy costs of the University

Student Self-Assessed Fees
    Student Union (up to $23.00 per semester)
    - Provide funding for construction and maintenance of existing UL Lafayette Student Union

Student Union ($20.00 per semester for students assessed at 6 or more credit hours)
    - Provides funding for construction and maintenance of a new first-class Student Center

Student Union ($55.00 per semester for students assessed at 6 or more credit hours)
    - Provides funding for constuction and maintenance of a new first-class Student Center

Student Technology Fee ($5.00 per credit hour)
    - Provide funding to enhance student-accessible technology on campus

ID Photo ($10.00 per semester)
    - Provide for ID photographs and identification cards

La Louisiane - Alumni ($2.50 per semester)
    - Provide funding for La Louisiane, the alumni magazine

Debate ($1.00 per semester)
    - Provide funding for travel and expenses for the University Debate Team

Entertainment ($5.50 per semester)
    - Collected for University Program Council for events like Lagniappe Week, Ragin Roar, and Homecoming. UPC sponsored events are free to students.

Day Care ($2.25 per semester)
    - Provides for top quality child care at affordable prices for children of full time students.

Intramurals ($2.00 per semester)
    - Provides for intramural sports for UL Lafayette students

Band Association (up to $5.00 per semester)
    - provides funding for the Pride of Acadiana Marchng Band

Student Loan ($0.50 per semester)
    - Provides for emergency loan assistance through the short-term loan program

Lyceum (up to $0.60 per semester)
    - Provides for academic speakers at the University

Book ($ 0.10 per semester)

L'Acadian ($12.00 per Fall semester for students with 12 or more credit hours)
    - Provides a copy of the L'Acadian Yearbook for each full-time student

KRVS ($0.50 per semester)
    - Provides funding for KRVS, the campus radio station

SGA ($7.50 per semester for 6 or more credit hours)
    - Provide funding for the Student Government Association

Insurance ($22.00 per semester for students assessed at 7 or more undergraduate credit hours or 6 or more graduate credit hours)
    - Provide students with health care coverage

Vermilion ($2.00 per semester)
    - Provide funding for the student published newspaper

SGA Scholarship ($0.75 per semester)
    - Provide funding for SGA-awarded scholarships

International Student Council ($ 0.35 per semester)

Club Sports ($3.15 per semester)
    - Provide funding for club sports such as Judo, Bowling, Soccer, Rugby, Tae Kwan Do, Skeet Shooting, and Water Skiing.

Arts Fee (up to $7.00 per semester)
    - Provides funding for the UL Lafayette Symphony Orchestra and UL Lafayette Performing Arts

Cheerleaders (up to $4.00 per semester)
    - Provide funding for UL Lafayette cheerleaders

University Police ($1.00 per semester)
    - Provide funding for the University Police Department for scholarships, student officers, Code Blue emergency systems, crime prevention programs, and equipment for officers.

Art Museum (up to $5.00 per semester)
    - Provide funding for the University Art Museum

Parking and Transit (up to $25.00 per semester for students assessed at 6 or more credit hours)
    - Provide funding to maintain transit facilities (buses), improve parking facilities, and provide free parking at Cajun Field and Zone 40.

Recreational
    - Facility/Equipment ($20.00 per semester for students assessed at 6 or more credit hours)

Student Health Service ($20.00 per semester for students assessed at 6 or more credit hours)
    - Provide health care services to students free of charge

Student Health Service Support ($5.00 per semester for students assessed at 6 or more credit hours)
    - Provides support services for Student Health Services

Auxiliary Improvement
    - $15.00 per semester for students assessed at 6 or more credit hours

Initial Enrollment Fee ($7.50 for first-time freshmen)
    - Provide enrollment services to first-time students

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by nathancpike View Post
    _ Only 830 students voted in the SGA elections this year. If you wanted to pass an athletic fee, now would probably be a good time as only those who are "involved" on campus would more than likely vote. _
    If you had the vote today, then you would have 300 student athletes vote for the fee. That would mean that you only need around 200 hardcore student fans to vote for it to pass.

The ULM fee referendum failed with well over 20% turnout...high for an SGA election.

The original Monroe News-Star report that showed Louisiana Tech, ULM, and Louisiana-Lafayette all using student fees in their budgets was totally erroneous. The amounts quoted as student fee revenue in the story were actually the athletics student financial aid spending figures in 2009-2010 for each university.

Only ULM is able to use student fees directly as revenue into its budget ($362,045 in 2009-2010) since it does not max out its allowed general fund transfer each year...not enough money available. Any student fee revenue that either Louisiana Tech or Louisiana-Lafayette tried to use toward their athletics budgets would reduce the allowed general fund transfer and change the total revenue in each budget by $0.

There has been no change in the Board of Regents policy for using student fees toward athletics from what was adopted in 2007.
    http://www.laregentsarchive.com/pdfs...e/policies.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    _ The ULM fee referendum failed with well over 20% turnout...high for an SGA election.

The original Monroe News-Star report that showed Louisiana Tech, ULM, and Louisiana-Lafayette all using student fees in their budgets was totally erroneous. The amounts quoted as student fee revenue in the story were actually the athletics student financial aid spending figures in 2009-2010 for each university.

Only ULM is able to use student fees directly as revenue into its budget ($362,045 in 2009-2010) since it does not max out its allowed general fund transfer each year...not enough money available. Any student fee revenue that either Louisiana Tech or Louisiana-Lafayette tried to use toward their athletics budgets would reduce the allowed general fund transfer and change the total revenue in each budget by $0.

There has been no change in the Board of Regents policy for using student fees toward athletics from what was adopted in 2007.
    http://www.laregentsarchive.com/pdfs...e/policies.pdf _
    This makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast