_ _ _ _
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In a van down by the river.
    Posts
    4,774

    Default Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    There will be a conference shakeup a coming. I think Tech put themselves in great position last night to get a call.

    We could put ourselves in equally good shape by winning the Belch and packing the Superdome. Short of calling the Soprano's to eliminate our problems how can we achieve this? Does anyone that knows more about college football can honestly say we will have a shot next year? We need to get is shape soon because Memphis is just itching to bolt. Tech showed they control part of the Shreveport market last night. We could do the same with New Orleans if given a chance.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    3,396

    Default Re: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    I don't think we are in as bad a shape as many think. Sure we are losing Fenroy, Desormeaux, and Chery. Our offense will not be nearly as explosive as it was this past year, but our defense will be a hell of a lot better with just about everyone returning. McGuire stepped up and beat a pretty good stAte team last year and we have a couple good backs returning to fill Fenroy's rather large shoes. Not to mention, Falgout has some of the best hands I've ever seen in the vermilion and white.

    Now to answer your question, we do have a shot to win the sunbelt just like everyone else next year. No team is head and shoulders better than any other. It will be the players and coaches job to play sound fundamental football and not give games away. With that being said, we do not have the luxury of not showing up for a game which will result in a very lopsided score no matter who we play.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    343

    Default Re: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    _ I don't think we are in as bad a shape as many think. Sure we are losing Fenroy, Desormeaux, and Chery. Our offense will not be nearly as explosive as it was this past year, but our defense will be a hell of a lot better with just about everyone returning. McGuire stepped up and beat a pretty good stAte team last year and we have a couple good backs returning to fill Fenroy's rather large shoes. Not to mention, Falgout has some of the best hands I've ever seen in the vermilion and white.

    Now to answer your question, we do have a shot to win the sunbelt just like everyone else next year. No team is head and shoulders better than any other. It will be the players and coaches job to play sound fundamental football and not give games away. With that being said, we do not have the luxury of not showing up for a game which will result in a very lopsided score no matter who we play. _

    You are so dreaming. Its a great dream but you are dreaming. It seems to me that the Administration and our Coaches are doing everything possible to keep us from getting such invitations. We might not even be on their back-up list. If we really wanted to win the Belt and move up we have failed miserably. We haven't got a chance with our current leadership.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,126

    Default Re: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    Quote Originally Posted by wgwillis View Post
    _ You are so dreaming. Its a great dream but you are dreaming. It seems to me that the Administration and our Coaches are doing everything possible to keep us from getting such invitations. We might not even be on their back-up list. If we really wanted to win the Belt and move up we have failed miserably. We haven't got a chance with our current leadership. _
    Really? Do you honestly believe the coaches (whos jobs are based on how the team performs) are doing everything possible to keep us from getting bowl invites? You are delusional. These players and coaches work their collective a@@es off. I KNOW of one player who has spent his break getting ready for next year and I can GUARANTEE he isn't the only one. Are you a RC fan or one of those people who just likes to start trouble?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,838

    Default Re: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    Quote Originally Posted by MissingMandy View Post
    _ Really? Do you honestly believe the coaches (whos jobs are based on how the team performs) are doing everything possible to keep us from getting bowl invites? You are delusional. These players and coaches work their collective a@@es off. I KNOW of one player who has spent his break getting ready for next year and I can GUARANTEE he isn't the only one. Are you a RC fan or one of those people who just likes to start trouble? _


    If your son has half the fire the you have, he'll be kicking major butt next year.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    112

    Default Re: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    Does anyone that knows more about college football can honestly say we will have a shot next year? We need to get in shape soon because Memphis is just itching to bolt. Tech showed they control part of the Shreveport market last night. We could do the same with New Orleans if given a chance.
    The only things holding UL back are Consistency and Money.

    IMHO, when UL consistently starts winning, the stands will start filling up and the money will start replicating within the programs. Then the UL athletic budget needs to keep pace with the rest of the conference members as for funding. Right now it is a travesty and no fault of the supporters. The state legislature needs to authorize the greater use of student fees or the ULS system will continue to fall further and further behind our sister states. That, in and of itself, creates momentum within an athletic program like nothing else. Money is like water; it flows to areas where there is the least resistance and where it's treated best.

    It is not my place to argue on your board "how to do it", but I really believe it is only a matter of "when" not "if". From my perspective those goals are attainable but will take a lot of courage and perseverence; it is closer than anyone realizes.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    268

    Default Re: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    There have been a serious of major conference realignments.

    Mid-70's the Pac-8 added two and that shuffled up the WAC. SWC added one in the wake up of shuffling of the Mo Valley.

    circa 1989 the Big 10 added one, that led to the SEC adding two, ACC adding one, formation of the Big East, WAC adding one, and eventually Big West adding four for football only.

    circa 1995 the Big 8 added 4, SWC dissolved, CUSA formed, WAC went to 16 eventually splitting into MWC and WAC followed by adding teams again, Big West collapses Sun Belt forms as a result of those aftershocks, MAC adds three in the aftershocks.

    circa 2004, the ACC adds two then one, Big East adds 4 for football (plus some hoop only), MWC adds one, CUSA adds six, WAC adds three, Sun Belt adds two and proving to be stable leads to adding one next year and another in 2013.

    The formula is pretty simple. There are earthquakes and there are aftershocks and the aftershocks can last for a few years.

    For a major realignment, one of the six rich leagues has to be involved. Looking around, the ACC, Big XII, SEC, and Pac-10 appear to be in very stable states at this point. The Big 10 is likely very stable unless Notre Dame makes move. The Big East right now is making its dollars more from basketball and the distribution of who is making the money seems relatively well balanced between football and non-football schools. As long as Pitt is wanting to play Villanova and Syracuse wants to play Georgetown, and there is no significant financial advantage to splitting the sheets, the Big East is likely stable.

    The big trigger just seems to be lacking.

    Interestingly enough the gotta have it fad of a few years ago is proving to be a bust. The conference title game was the must have for conferences. When it was created by the SEC, they saw it as a financial boom because of gate receipts, it wasn't until later that they saw the made for TV potential. Since then the Big XII has added one, the ACC, the MAC, and CUSA and with the exception of the SEC game, they've proven to be less than successful at the ticket window. If not for television revenue, the Big XII and ACC couldn't justify the existence of their title games. C-USA does OK on the TV side but the money isn't that great and the MAC would likely admit over a drink or two that if not for the TV exposure, it wouldn't be worth having.

    The net result is that the Pac-10 which has never had much expansion support isn't going to add to the list of conferences playing a neutral site unattended title game. The Big 10 I suspect even if they were to expand to 12 would probably not pursue a game in Detroit or Indianapolis either. The Big East is well aware they have two decent venues for such a game, Syracuse and USF and neither is likely to host decent crowds without the home team. The MWC has their eyes firmly set on the clause in the BCS agreement that permits the BCS to expand to 7 auto qualifiers. They know they don't have the TV punch that keeps the Big East in but they know they've got a shot at the quality of play level and they won't expand unless they are convinced it is the final piece in the BCS puzzle, they don't want to mess with a San Diego or Las Vegas title game for TV dollars when snagging a permanent BCS slot is worth so much more.

    Realistically anything in the next 5 years is just aftershock moves. Minor line-up changes with minimal impact.

    Come down the road, the SEC hit the top of the boom market. They are now locked to CBS and ESPN through 2024 or 2025. The conventional wisdom says if there is a trigger out there right now its the crappy economy. I don't know when the Big XII and ACC TV deals expire but it is unlikely that ABC/ESPN will match the per team dollars to them that the SEC locked in if they are coming up at a time when the advertising market is in the toliet. Odds are, it won't touch the nearly $17 million per team, per year that the SEC will make. Notre Dame's last TV deal paid $9 million a year, while they have since signed a new deal, I find it hard to believe it nearly doubled to match the SEC deal.

    I don't find it implausible to believe that if the market stays soft and ABC/ESPN offers the Big XII some insulting figure like $156 million a year for 12 teams ($13 million each) that there won't be phone calls swirling between Austin, College Station, Norman, and Lincoln, followed by a call back to Disney asking if the $156 million figure is good if they only have 9 or 10 teams.

    There is precedence for such a call. The SWC and Big 8 dissatisfied with what they were making came to the idea of jointly marketing their TV rights. ABC shot a figure for all 16 schools. The Big Eight then quietly asked ABC what the number would be if it were the Big 8 plus Texas and Texas A&M and ABC quoted the identical figure. Then Texas politics reared its head and ABC said the number was good for any combination involving the Big 8, UT, TAMU and any number of other SWC schools. So the deal got done. Not unlike when the WAC-16 was negotiating its TV and five of the schools discovered they could get the same figure for them and any combination of other MWC schools leading to 8 breaking away because the same dollars split 8 ways is better than splitting it 16 ways.

    I wouldn't be shocked if the ACC had a similar call.

    Now of course the economy might start ripping and roaring in a few more months or another year, but if it is sucking when the ACC and Big XII deals come up for negotiation, downsizing may be the new expansion.


  8. #8
    Zeebart21's Avatar
    Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    17,784

    Default Re: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy Up View Post
    _ The only things holding UL back are Consistency and Money.

    IMHO, when UL consistently starts winning, the stands will start filling up and the money will start replicating within the programs. Then the UL athletic budget needs to keep pace with the rest of the conference members as for funding. Right now it is a travesty and no fault of the supporters. The state legislature needs to authorize the greater use of student fees or the ULS system will continue to fall further and further behind our sister states. That, in and of itself, creates momentum within an athletic program like nothing else. Money is like water; it flows to areas where there is the least resistance and where it's treated best.

    It is not my place to argue on your board "how to do it", but I really believe it is only a matter of "when" not "if". From my perspective those goals are attainable but will take a lot of courage and perseverence; it is closer than anyone realizes. _
    Tell misses I said hey.

    Z

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Way too far from the beach
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Tell misses I said hey.
    Z


    Your McNeese friend is a wise man. Makes me wish he was a Cajun fan.

  10. #10
    Hammer58's Avatar
    Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tony Matto. Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    10,597

    Default Re: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90 View Post
    _ There will be a conference shakeup a coming. I think Tech put themselves in great position last night to get a call.

    We could put ourselves in equally good shape by winning the Belch and packing the Superdome. Short of calling the Soprano's to eliminate our problems how can we achieve this? Does anyone that knows more about college football can honestly say we will have a shot next year? We need to get is shape soon because Memphis is just itching to bolt. Tech showed they control part of the Shreveport market last night. We could do the same with New Orleans if given a chance. _
    Do a little digging and I think you will find that PolyNech does not control much, if any , of the S'port market. I'd venture a guess (admittedly based on no evidence other than casual observation) that at least a third of the crowd last night was due to it being a bowl game in town on a Sunday night with no other distractions in town and reasonable weather. I'd venture those same folks would have been there regardless of the matchup. Go up to S'port any other time of the year and PolyNeck is not on the radar up there (based on first hand observations when working in the area). Also check out the news media up there throughout the year, They play second fiddle to LSUA&MC. Also, ask your self this question...does the WAC crow about having the S'port market? If they brought such an attractive market would the WAC have been so eager to dump them prior to SMU, et al jumping ship? So take away their falacy of bringing the S'port market to CUSA and what does Ruston bring to the table?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    12,308

    Default Re: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    _ I don't think we are in as bad a shape as many think. Sure we are losing Fenroy, Desormeaux, and Chery. Our offense will not be nearly as explosive as it was this past year, but our defense will be a hell of a lot better with just about everyone returning. McGuire stepped up and beat a pretty good stAte team last year and we have a couple good backs returning to fill Fenroy's rather large shoes. Not to mention, Falgout has some of the best hands I've ever seen in the vermilion and white.

    Now to answer your question, we do have a shot to win the sunbelt just like everyone else next year. No team is head and shoulders better than any other. It will be the players and coaches job to play sound fundamental football and not give games away. With that being said, we do not have the luxury of not showing up for a game which will result in a very lopsided score no matter who we play. _


    I happen to agree with you 100%. As a matter of fact, everyone was upset with Bustle after this season but my judgement rests on next season. While we do lose some great players, we also supplement with good talent. Assuming this talent steps up and contributes like they are capable what are we missing besides the senior leadership? While I love Desormeaux, his total stats are likely to be passed by a redshirt freshman or sophomore next year. Desormeaux had 2900 yards combined this season. We will not get the same rushing numbers from the QB position and Bustle hopefully knows this and will tweak the offense a bit but if your QB runs for 600 yards for the year and throws for a modest 2300, you get the same total numbers and hopefully more than 13 TD's which Des threw for. Replacing Fenroy is touch obviously but you have a stable of talented guys who I think can combine for 1375 yards that Fenroy gave this year. That is not far fetched. Chery, if you look at most of his numbers had GREAT games against NT and ULM and only 7 TD's on the year. He gave us big play ability but besides those games mentioned, didn't truly provide it. I think that having more experience with the guys we have and the emergence of Lance Kelley who the coaches are really high on, I think the WR corp will be better. The D only loses Keyes really and while that is a tough loss because of his leadership, we have guys there with Nevels or Accime or maybe even Devon Lewis to fill the void. I think this team should win 7 games next year. 5-3 in conference is modest at best and a win over Southern and the other non-conference home game would give us 7 wins. That is the reality of next year. Whether they perform to those standards is left to be seen.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Woodlands, TX
    Posts
    456

    Default Re: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ Do a little digging and I think you will find that PolyNech does not control much, if any , of the S'port market. I'd venture a guess (admittedly based on no evidence other than casual observation) that at least a third of the crowd last night was due to it being a bowl game in town on a Sunday night with no other distractions in town and reasonable weather. I'd venture those same folks would have been there regardless of the matchup. Go up to S'port any other time of the year and PolyNeck is not on the radar up there (based on first hand observations when working in the area). Also check out the news media up there throughout the year, They play second fiddle to LSUA&MC. Also, ask your self this question...does the WAC crow about having the S'port market? If they brought such an attractive market would the WAC have been so eager to dump them prior to SMU, et al jumping ship? So take away their falacy of bringing the S'port market to CUSA and what does Ruston bring to the table? _
    Its a tarp!



    Blue tarps!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Way too far from the beach
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    As a matter of fact, everyone was upset with Bustle after this season but my judgement rests on next season.
    No, not everyone. I am of the same opinion as you in this because of 2008 season. I am convinced we got killed by injuries about mid season and I cannot hold that against the staff. The win over a tough MT squad that beat Maryland and FAU and lost by a yard to Kentucky made me a believer.

  14. #14
    DaddyCajun's Avatar
    DaddyCajun is offline Dig deep UL will Prosper! Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Da Cro
    Posts
    6,116

    Ragin' Cajuns Re: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRage View Post
    _ I don't think we are in as bad a shape as many think. Sure we are losing Fenroy, Desormeaux, and Chery. Our offense will not be nearly as explosive as it was this past year, but our defense will be a hell of a lot better with just about everyone returning. McGuire stepped up and beat a pretty good stAte team last year and we have a couple good backs returning to fill Fenroy's rather large shoes. Not to mention, Falgout has some of the best hands I've ever seen in the vermilion and white.

    Now to answer your question, we do have a shot to win the sunbelt just like everyone else next year. No team is head and shoulders better than any other. It will be the players and coaches job to play sound fundamental football and not give games away. With that being said, we do not have the luxury of not showing up for a game which will result in a very lopsided score no matter who we play. _
    Geaux to the Ragin Cajun National Signing Day in Feb. '09
    and find out just how good of shape UL is getting into!!!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Way too far from the beach
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun View Post
    Geaux to the Ragin Cajun National Signing Day in Feb. '09
    and find out just how good of shape UL is getting into!!!
    I plan to and I'm looking forward to it.

  16. #16
    wcd35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    9,241

    Default Re: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    Quote Originally Posted by bradyson View Post
    Its a tarp!
    Blue tarps! _
    I dont know if that got a laugh out of anyone, but whenever Admiral Ackbar in involved, you can count on one from me LOL.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    Quote Originally Posted by bradyson View Post
    _ Its a tarp!



    Blue tarps! _
    And an I-Bowl win!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,459

    Default Re: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    Quote Originally Posted by bradyson View Post
    _ Its a tarp!



    Blue tarps! _
    Good one, Brady!

  19. #19
    Hammer58's Avatar
    Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Tony Matto. Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    10,597

    Default Re: Dare I say....getting into shape for CUSA?

    Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    _ I dont know if that got a laugh out of anyone, but whenever Admiral Ackbar in involved, you can count on one from me LOL. _
    Wait...That was a Joke? I thought it was an actual photo of Nechster tailgaters outside the stadium with the three visiting NIU fans.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •