_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Are we really progressing or being left behind?

UL Football Are we really progressing or being left behind?

"Florida Atlantic has played eight seasons of major college football and already has a winning streak in bowl games"

"Florida Atlantic began playing in the Football Bowl Subdivision in 2001 but has won both its postseason games. The Owls defeated Memphis last year in the New Orleans Bowl" (ESPN.com, 12/26/08)

FAU eight seasons of major college football and 2 bowl wins all we have after 7 seasons of Bustle is a losing record (31-50). All I hear is how bad of shape the program was after Baldwin but that was 7 years ago FAU has built a competitive program with 2 bowl wins in 8 years.

Teams like FAU, TROY and North Texas are positioning themselves for possible consideration of joining better conferences.

Are we progressing or getting left behind?

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Are we really progressing or being left behind?

Quote Originally Posted by bigspanky95 View Post
    _ "Florida Atlantic has played eight seasons of major college football and already has a winning streak in bowl games"

"Florida Atlantic began playing in the Football Bowl Subdivision in 2001 but has won both its postseason games. The Owls defeated Memphis last year in the New Orleans Bowl" (ESPN.com, 12/26/08)

FAU eight seasons of major college football and 2 bowl wins all we have after 7 seasons of Bustle is a losing record (31-50). All I hear is how bad of shape the program was after Baldwin but that was 7 years ago FAU has built a competitive program with 2 bowl wins in 8 years.

Teams like FAU, TROY and North Texas are positioning themselves for possible consideration of joining better conferences.

Are we progressing or getting left behind? _
    Do some reasearch on athletic budgets of these schools vs UL to get some perspective for your answer. Then call your legislative representative to complain about the state restricting student fees for athletics in the state of Louisiana. That is probably the biggest reason for the gap in athletic budgets which is the main factor in your perception of getting left behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ Do some reasearch on athletic budgets of these schools vs UL to get some perspective for your answer. Then call your legislative representative to complain about the state restricting student fees for athletics in the state of Louisiana. That is probably the biggest reason for the gap in athletic budgets which is the main factor in your perception of getting left behind. _
    Bull_____! It is not all about the money! We could have used the 1 million spent on FB field to fund a quality football coach and recruiting budget. It is ____ poor decisions IMO!!!!1

moorecajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Are we really progressing or being left behind?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan96 View Post
    _ Bull_____! It is not all about the money! We could have used the 1 million spent on FB field to fund a quality football coach and recruiting budget. It is ____ poor decisions IMO!!!!1 _
    Everyone has their own opinion on how to spend budget monies. My opinion is that was probably one of the best expenditures our athletic department EVER made! I would rather spend money on tangible items that recruits can see and want to be a part of. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    Do some reasearch on athletic budgets of these schools vs UL to get some perspective for your answer. Then call your legislative representative to complain about the state restricting student fees for athletics in the state of Louisiana. That is probably the biggest reason for the gap in athletic budgets which is the main factor in your perception of getting left behind.
    THANK YOU Hammer for a little reality. You hit the nail on the head. FAU committed at the onset to succeed in football by providing a poweful stimulant - MONEY! This is the foundation, a football budget larger than any we've had, that Schnellenberger had at FAU to start with. The last ingredient was local access to huge amounts of talent.

FIU had basically the same advantages except for Schnellenberger. They chose Don Strock to start their program out of the gate. But, they may now be ready to compete with FAU.

Quote Originally Posted by bigspanky95 View Post
    _ "Florida Atlantic has played eight seasons of major college football and already has a winning streak in bowl games"

Are we progressing or getting left behind? _

Great Post

I have been saying this all year. FAU doesn't even have a Football Stadium and look what Leadership can do!

It's time to stick our heads up and see which way the wind is blowing. Not only are we not keeping up we are regressing in every sport but Softball. Even Baseball is just holding its own.

Our pride and Joy - Basketball - is mediocre at best.

Here is my suggestion:

As long as we continue to support this rediculous direction the Administration will do nothing Proactive to improve the situation; therefore, this is my recommendation;

A Boycott; that's right a Boycott of Men's Football, Basketball and Women's BBall.

Let them play in front of empty stands and show the Administration that the Fans have had enough. Afterall, that's why they really fired Baldwin i.e. No one was attending the games anymore.

We have to make a choice and I say let's force the issue by non-attendance of all home games. It won't be long before the Administration gets the message and the loss of revenue will prompt action.

The most telling thing is these two universities are relatively young and they have momentum. FAU has 27,000 students while FIU has 38,000 students.

http://www.fau.edu/explore/

http://www.fiu.edu/docs/about_fiu.htm

The goal of both Universities is to eventually compete in the ACC. They are using the SBC as a stepping stone. We will still be in the SBC when they move on.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    The most telling thing is these two universities are relatively young and they have momentum. FAU has 27,000 students while FIU has 38,000 students.

http://www.fau.edu/explore/

http://www.fiu.edu/docs/about_fiu.htm

The goal of both Universities is to eventually compete in the ACC. They are using the SBC as a stepping stone. We will still be in the SBC when they move on.

Just look at UCF and USF as well (I saw UCF first hand myself so I know). It's a plain as an empty wallet that big money was first and foremost the most important part of the forumla.

Where they end up will likely be a factor of availability moreso than anything else but both schools apparantly behave as if the Big East membership is inevitable. In the meantime we spend a lot of wasted time and energy talking about where we ought to be.

Quote Originally Posted by wgwillis View Post
    Great Post

I have been saying this all year. FAU doesn't even have a Football Stadium and look what Leadership can do!

Here is my suggestion:
    A Boycott; that's right a Boycott of Men's Football, Basketball and Women's BBall.

I'm not boycotting any Cajun sports. It's been tried already by many socalled "fans" and seems to work just fine.

If you aren't communicating your feelings to the president of UL and the AD then you're just peeing upwind.

_ Great Post

It's time to stick our heads up and see which way the wind is blowing. Not only are we not keeping up we are regressing in every sport but Softball. Even Baseball is just holding its own.

Here is my suggestion:

As long as we continue to support this rediculous direction the Administration will do nothing Proactive to improve the situation; therefore, this is my recommendation;

Let them play in front of empty stands and show the Administration that the Fans have had enough. Afterall, that's why they really fired Baldwin i.e. No one was attending the games anymore.

We have to make a choice and I say let's force the issue by non-attendance of all home games. It won't be long before the Administration gets the message and the loss of revenue will prompt action. _
    NO BOYCOTT! Do what other successful athletic depts do, Demand CHANGES!

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ I'm not boycotting any Cajun sports. It's been tried already by many socalled "fans" and seems to work just fine.

If you aren't communicating your feelings to the president of UL and the AD then you're just peeing upwind. _
    No boycott here either. I couldn't do that to the kids who are playing.

_ Just look at UCF and USF as well (I saw UCF first hand myself so I know). It's a plain as an empty wallet that big money was first and foremost the most important part of the forumla.

Where they end up will likely be a factor of availability moreso than anything else but both schools apparantly behave as if the Big East membership is inevitable. In the meantime we spend a lot of wasted time and energy talking about where we ought to be. _
    Have any of you read "Slam Dunked"? I just got it for Christmas and am about a quarter of the way through it. It is an eye-opener for me about our previous administrations (Fletcher, Rougeau, and Authement). It looks like the many in those admins worked against the success of the athletic dept. I imagine not all of that attitude has been replaced. I know T-Joe and believe him to be a high quality leader. We'll have to see if that translates to the Athletic Dept. I don't think he has had enough time yet to show his skill in that direction. Obviously, the recently announced budget cuts are a serious blow to the university all the way around. But I do think it starts with leadership and a close second is funding. It really takes both.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    Have any of you read "Slam Dunked"?
    I haven't read it (and I do want to) but I've been a Cajun fan long enough to see what an indifferent - at best - administration has done. Heck, it's amazing we've had any success at all in any sport.

I am not denying the need for leadership but the biggest underlying need is funding and that will have to come from the private sector. For whatever good it does, this has been pointed out for years on these forums.

_ Great Post

Here is my suggestion:

We have to make a choice and I say let's force the issue by non-attendance of all home games. It won't be long before the Administration gets the message and the loss of revenue will prompt action. _
    Yea...that would really be great!!! Let's have our boys (my son) bust his butt 6 days a week, almost 365 days peryear so you can stay at home and boycott the admin.....sounds like a plan. I'll let him know how much you appreciate his team. Pretty sorry. I would NEVER boycott the players, NEVER.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunMama View Post
    No boycott here either. I couldn't do that to the kids who are playing.
    Mama, the kids who take the courts and fields for UL are the specific reason to fully support Cajun athletics. What they need is more support not less - from academic support and such things as their housing, training facilities and playing venues to coaching and to a great fan presence.

_ Mama, the kids who take the courts and fields for UL are the specific reason to fully support Cajun athletics. What they need is more support not less - from academic support and such things as their housing, training facilities and playing venues to coaching and to a great fan presence.

_
    Thank you Destin!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MissingMandy View Post
    Yea...that would really be great!!! Let's have our boys (my son) bust his butt 6 days a week, almost 365 days peryear so you can stay at home and boycott the admin.....sounds like a plan. I'll let him know how much you appreciate his team. Pretty sorry.
    This from the perspective of a chronic observer.

We made some coaching changes and it was for the better in 2008.

We did a fine job recruiting after a 3-9 season in '07

UL football really came on this season only to get decimated by injuries all over the depth chart. Isn't that why K got on the field at left guard this season?

Before the injuries caught up I saw us set an alltime UL total offense record at Monroe. I saw us nearly knock off a Big X opponent except perhaps for a very unfortunate TO. I saw us knock off ASU in an unbelievable finish. I saw us come back from the dead and handle a darn good MT team that beat FAU and Maryland and lost by a yard to Kentucky.

We produced the SBC POY AND the Offensive POY and had 6 more players make All Conference.

We had our highest average attendance in years and probably sold more season tickets (near 10K) this year than ever before.

Next season we return more seniors and juniors to the squad than at any time in recent memory. That means leadership, experience and depth.

I personally believe after chronically observing this program that we are where "fan expectations" of winning football can or should be met and if we do not see it then criticism is justified.

_ This from the perspective of a chronic observer.

We made some coaching changes and it was for the better in 2008.

We did a fine job recruiting after a 3-9 season in '07

UL football really came on this season only to get decimated by injuries all over the depth chart. Isn't that why K got on the field at left guard this season?

Before the injuries caught up I saw us set an alltime UL total offense record at Monroe. I saw us nearly knock off a Big X opponent except perhaps for a very unfortunate TO. I saw us knock off ASU in an unbelievable finish. I saw us come back from the dead and handle a darn good MT team that beat FAU and Maryland and lost by a yard to Kentucky.

We produced the SBC POY AND the Offensive POY and had 6 more players make All Conference.

We had our highest average attendance in years and probably sold more season tickets (near 10K) this year than ever before.

Next season we return more seniors and juniors to the squad than at any time in recent memory. That means leadership, experience and depth.

I personally believe after chronically observing this program that we are where "fan expectations" of winning football can or should be met and if we do not see it then criticism is justified. _
    I think many fans only see what isn't right (long term memory) and forget all of the things are are right (short term memory) and forget all of the accomplishments this year (short term memory) unless we are winning. It really irritates me how many people posted here and were so into UL football when we were winning and now when our players need support the most they all disappear. Has everyone forgotten about Fenroy or the magic in the air that night when they retired his jersey? Doesn't anyone see when they visit other schools how incredibly special and rich the traditions are at UL. I haven't been to another school yet where I felt the way I do at a UL homegame. UL has something special and much to build on. Everyone has a right to criticism of what they feel is wrong with anything in life, I understand that. I know I will get blasted for stating my opinion here, that's why I haven't much this year because there is such a difference between being a fan and being a family member of a player but these guys work so hard for the fans and leaving them without support is just wrong. I am as sad and in disbelief as any other fan regarding the bowl snub, one snub irritates me more then the others but that is politics and not the fault of the athletes. Support them, they deserve it.

Clutch0364 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by MissingMandy View Post
    _ I think many fans only see what isn't right (long term memory) and forget all of the things are are right (short term memory) and forget all of the accomplishments this year (short term memory) unless we are winning. It really irritates me how many people posted here and were so into UL football when we were winning and now when our players need support the most they all disappear. Has everyone forgotten about Fenroy or the magic in the air that night when they retired his jersey? Doesn't anyone see when they visit other schools how incredibly special and rich the traditions are at UL. I haven't been to another school yet where I felt the way I do at a UL homegame. UL has something special and much to build on. Everyone has a right to criticism of what they feel is wrong with anything in life, I understand that. I know I will get blasted for stating my opinion here, that's why I haven't much this year because there is such a difference between being a fan and being a family member of a player but these guys work so hard for the fans and leaving them without support is just wrong. I am as sad and in disbelief as any other fan regarding the bowl snub, one snub irritates me more then the others but that is politics and not the fault of the athletes. Support them, they deserve it. _
    Most people who have criticized have never said one negative thing about our players, minus 1 or 2 post. I think highly of the guys we have on this team that is why I have called for a coaching change. We had three of the best players to ever put on a Cajun uniform and we were 6-6...that is a coaching problem. And you are correct it wasn't the athletes fault but it was the coaches fault. We win one more game and politics are taken out of the equation but we didn't so politics kept us out.

I will never stop supporting my team...EVER! However until this coaching staff proves something I will criticize them.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Are we really progressing or being left behind?

From the point of supporting the team--some of us who read or participate on this board have backed SLI-USL-UL athletics and academics for 50 plus years, so loyalty is not in question. From my experience, I have seen the politics of the University in play and believe that presidential decisions have held back Athletics, especially when the head coach has become successful and a crowd favorite

I remember my father being told(in my presence) by a president that "Here the tail will not wag the Dog". I also believe that there has been an opinion here that to get too big might upset the state applecart(I dont mean State by this statement). La Tech has said to heck with this opinion. I think that we have too comfortable with "wait til next year". The NCAA death penalty also did not help. Our only hope is to encourage younger alums to keep the pressure on the admin and give coaches a few years(4-5) to prove themselves--after that the road is well trod, time for a change. Never should we make the kids suffer--they sweat, they try, they balance academics with their sports and give up a lot of free time for our pleasure and pride. Sorry about the rant.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast