_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Question

Default Question

I have a question for yall. Being a TROY fan who spends most of his time talking to other TROY fans, i don't really get a good idea of our conference perception. i'd like to ask what you all think of our team and our program overall. be as specific as you like, i just want to get a picture of how my Trojans are viewed by someone outside the Trojan Nation. Thanks guys, you're all a great group of fans.

Greg

Default Re: Question

When Troy first joined the conference I told one of my buddies that Troy wouldn't be in the conference for too long. They just consistently play too well in football to stay in the belt. I think when the next conference realignment shake up comes along, yall are the prize ticket to move up. I just hope Scott Farmer will do all it takes to make sure that we're in a position to move up as well. That's what he said his mission is....and I saw a spark this season but it got snuffed out.

With all that being said, I don't think the belt is such a bad place. Over the past few years the belt has been getting some really impressive OOC wins. I think with two more years of continual improvement we'll be viewed as a better conference than the MAC and CUSA. I think the belt is starting to earn some respect nationally and the national media exposure we are getting as a whole is a testament to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kal View Post
    _ When Troy first joined the conference I told one of my buddies that Troy wouldn't be in the conference for too long. They just consistently play too well in football to stay in the belt. I think when the next conference realignment shake up comes along, yall are the prize ticket to move up. I just hope Scott Farmer will do all it takes to make sure that we're in a position to move up as well. That's what he said his mission is....and I saw a spark this season but it got snuffed out.

With all that being said, I don't think the belt is such a bad place. Over the past few years the belt has been getting some really impressive OOC wins. I think with two more years of continual improvement we'll be viewed as a better conference than the MAC and CUSA. I think the belt is starting to earn some respect nationally and the national media exposure we are getting as a whole is a testament to that. _
    I think for Troy to move to that "next level" they must get their men's hoops and some other sports in order (they pour all their money into football-- and it shows), something that many of us can relate to. But, for Troy, in an otherwise sparsley populated area, they need to do well in men's hoops because they'll be up against much bigger markets (i.e. Murfreesboro, Lafayette, Miami) when and if Coosa comes a'calling.

Quote Originally Posted by KAjunRaider View Post
    _ I think for Troy to move to that "next level" they must get their men's hoops and some other sports in order (they pour all their money into football-- and it shows), something that many of us can relate to. But, for Troy, in an otherwise sparsley populated area, they need to do well in men's hoops because they'll be up against much bigger markets (i.e. Murfreesboro, Lafayette, Miami) when and if Coosa comes a'calling. _
    Mens hoops is bad in troy, but their baseball team is top notch. Their only week spot in my mind is basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Delta Chi View Post
    _ I have a question for yall. Being a TROY fan who spends most of his time talking to other TROY fans, i don't really get a good idea of our conference perception. i'd like to ask what you all think of our team and our program overall. be as specific as you like, i just want to get a picture of how my Trojans are viewed by someone outside the Trojan Nation. Thanks guys, you're all a great group of fans.

Greg _
    In terms of football, there's none better but obviously it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Whatever your formula for putting the kind of talent you always seem to have on the field is, it sure does work well.

CajunT is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

_ I have a question for yall. Being a TROY fan who spends most of his time talking to other TROY fans, i don't really get a good idea of our conference perception. i'd like to ask what you all think of our team and our program overall. be as specific as you like, i just want to get a picture of how my Trojans are viewed by someone outside the Trojan Nation. Thanks guys, you're all a great group of fans.

Greg _
    I think you are viewed as a very good athletic program at the top, with Football being the premiere program in the Sun Belt right now. But you are also viewed as a Institution with questionable academic standards that finds ways to get athletes with poor transcripts and ACT scores eligible. Unfortunately for Troy, the football program and academic reputation go hand-in-hand to those outside the Troy program.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ I think you are viewed as a very good athletic program at the top, with Football being the premiere program in the Sun Belt right now. But you are also viewed as a Institution with questionable academic standards that finds ways to get athletes with poor transcripts and ACT scores eligible. Unfortunately for Troy, the football program and academic reputation go hand-in-hand to those outside the Troy program. _
    Questionable academics? Are you kidding me, you have no clue what you are talking about.

Greg _
    1) Team - Always a good football team.
    2) Program - Top notch in the Belt and would be in CUSA
    3) Facilities- Top notch football stadium.
    Big Negatives
    1) Metro area- There is none. A Wal-Mart and a Hardee's doesn't make a city.
    2) Student Population. 5,000+
    3) Campus. Seen much better at I-AA schools.

you've seen much better campuses at 1-AA schools?! wow, i'd like to tour those schools. TROY has a beautiful campus and the amount of contruction going on could only be dreamed of by 1-AA schools.

_ you've seen much better campuses at 1-AA schools?! wow, i'd like to tour those schools. TROY has a beautiful campus and the amount of contruction going on could only be dreamed of by 1-AA schools. _
    Take away the sport facilities which are great, I don't see much there. Even the gates entering the school are not impressive. You wanted an honest opinion and that is what I gave you. You administration, I had access to the press boxes were awesome. You guys were great hosts we some hardy BBQ and all the diet cokes you could drink. You guys were a class act. Your alumni had a great time on level 4 partying it up. Even after the game a few coaches in the box offered me beers which I declined facing a 5 hour drive. Very good folks. The baseball field looked good. I didn't see a dome for basketball but I'm sure you guys have one.

The campus? McNeese has a nicer looking campus than you guys accept for the football field.

Look you were looking for an honest opinion. Troy is unbelievable. Driving away from 65 I was looking at Delervance country and wondering if we were on the right track. There in the middle of no place we found Troy. I'm not poking fun at you guys. Louisiana has plenty of places like that but we don't build great universities there (Well we do have LSUE). We went through the gates and around the campus and I'm sorry to break it to you but your campus isn't impressive. Once all the construction is done then maybe it will be but from what I saw I wouldn't want to spend 4 years there.

One thing I was very impressed was the pride you guys had. You guys love your school. Some of your fans were _____ but not on the level of LSU. The tailgating was almost no where's to be found except some dusty places with about 6 tents.

Reading your boards you guys think you are a sure in to CUSA. Well I don't think so but best of luck. Also I wish you guys the best of luck where you end up in Bowl season because as the Sunbelt champ I will be pulling for you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FHBrian View Post
    _ Questionable academics? Are you kidding me, you have no clue what you are talking about. _
    Clue me in dude? What are your admissions standards? Again, you guys asked the question, I'm giving you the outside view from people that follow recruiting.

Greg _
    I think it's time for you to answer the same question for us. How do you view UL?

well unfortunantly i've never been to UL, something I look to fix next season when I come down. as far as the football program is concerned, i see U of L as in the top-tier of the Belt. you seem to find a couple good athletes who are able to carry the team into the endzone. baseball, of course solid. i'll be able to give a more accurate opinion after next year's game.

as far as academics at Troy, the minimum required GPA/ACT for admission is 2.5/19 i believe.

Blog Entries

_ well unfortunantly i've never been to UL, something I look to fix next season when I come down. as far as the football program is concerned, i see U of L as in the top-tier of the Belt. you seem to find a couple good athletes who are able to carry the team into the endzone. baseball, of course solid. i'll be able to give a more accurate opinion after next year's game.

as far as academics at Troy, the minimum required GPA/ACT for admission is 2.5/19 i believe. _
    Thanks for the honest answer. UL and ULM both have higher admission standards. It makes it kind of tough to get transfers in that cannot make the minimum requirements, even on a sliding scale of the NCAA. I would like to see the Sun Belt require consistent admission standards for all member institutions. But, I don't see that happening any time soon.

I would like to clarify the Troy has no metro issue. While that's true in a direct sense, just 40 miles north of Troy is Montgomery, the state capital. In 2000, the Montgomery Metro Area had 347,000 people living there. 50 miles south of Troy is Dothan. The Dothan Metro Area has 140,000 inhabitants. Neither of the two have D-1A colleges. Another 60,000 can be found in the surrounding cities, Ozark-Enterprize-Ft. Rucker. They make up the "Wiregrass Region" and are located within 30 miles of Troy. This is why we have decent crowds at our game with a main campus Enrollement of 6,500. Worldwide, that number is 29,000. Also a reason our attendance is good. The closest D1A colleges are UAB (150 miles) and Florida State (150 miles).

Quote Originally Posted by TroyTrojan05 View Post
    _ I would like to clarify the Troy has no metro issue. While that's true in a direct sense, just 40 miles north of Troy is Montgomery, the state capital. In 2000, the Montgomery Metro Area had 347,000 people living there. 50 miles south of Troy is Dothan. The Dothan Metro Area has 140,000 inhabitants. Neither of the two have D-1A colleges. Another 60,000 can be found in the surrounding cities, Ozark-Enterprize-Ft. Rucker. They make up the "Wiregrass Region" and are located within 30 miles of Troy. This is why we have decent crowds at our game with a main campus Enrollement of 6,500. Worldwide, that number is 29,000. Also a reason our attendance is good. The closest D1A colleges are UAB (150 miles) and Florida State (150 miles). _
    I thought Auburn was close to Troy. And I figured South Alabama will be about as close as Fl. State, and an easier drive. Bama is easier drive than Tallahassee as well.

Quote Originally Posted by KAjunRaider View Post
    I thought Auburn was close to Troy. And I figured South Alabama will be about as close as Fl. State, and an easier drive. Bama is easier drive than Tallahassee as well.
    My mistake, I didn't think about that. Auburn is about 100 miles from Troy. Bama is around 170-190 miles away. Though, South Alabama won't be a full fledged D1A untill 2013. It will have an impact then, most certainly.

Even so, the areas listed are still large enough and close enough to gather a lot of Troy interest.

_ My mistake, I didn't think about that. Auburn is about 100 miles from Troy. Bama is around 170-190 miles away. Though, South Alabama won't be a full fledged D1A untill 2013. It will have an impact then, most certainly.

Even so, the areas listed are still large enough and close enough to gather a lot of Troy interest. _
    Tell the truth! You omitted Auburn and Alabama on purpose! Just like with us and that school-which-must-not-be-named in Baton Rouge, you all just try and ignore the big elephant in the room (pun intended!).

_ My mistake, I didn't think about that. Auburn is about 100 miles from Troy. Bama is around 170-190 miles away. Though, South Alabama won't be a full fledged D1A untill 2013. It will have an impact then, most certainly.

Even so, the areas listed are still large enough and close enough to gather a lot of Troy interest. _
    Look dude. You guys have done something impossible. You have created a football power next to Bama and Auburn. Judging by your fans, you have many McNese like fans that pull for the powers and Troy at home. Your athletic facilities are amazing. The campus and town are not. Your fans love the university with a passion I envy. Will you get into CUSA? I don't think so but if the Belt keeps this up then who will want into CUSA? You guys just skull dragged us in football. We are not the best folks to ask about your future. Other than you guys prove that UL has great potential that isn't being tapped. Best of luck to Troy. I will be pulling for you guys against any team you end up against. GEAUX skull drag a BCS School!

Default my Question

.. moved to page 3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast