_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Conference Re-Alignment

Default Conference Re-Alignment

Not sure if this is the right area for this thread, so if it isn't please move it.

OK, so the talk has been that there will be a major conference realignment phase in the next few years. ECU, UCF, and several other teams are looking to move into the BCS. Personally, I believe that the Sun Belt and Conference USA will be merging to some degree, combining the best regional teams in the southeast to form a "super conference" in the mid-major ranks. below is the line-up I think COULD form based on region and talent. I also think that both the Belt's and USA's bowl tie-ins would transfer.

East:
    Troy
    FAU
    Middle Tennessee
    Marshall
    Memphis
    UAB**

West:
    Louisiana
    ULM
    Southern Miss
    Tulane
    Lousiana Tech*
    Arkansas State

* If this conference DOES form, I feel La Tech would be willing to leave the WAC for a more regionally sound conference with a significant number of bowl tie-ins.

** if they still have a football program, lol. their basketball will improve the conference.

Now, of course this is probably off a bit, but I think it makes sense. What are your thoughts on this scenario?

Clutch0364 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Conference Re-Alignment

Quote Originally Posted by Trojan Delta Chi View Post
    _ Not sure if this is the right area for this thread, so if it isn't please move it.

OK, so the talk has been that there will be a major conference realignment phase in the next few years. ECU, UCF, and several other teams are looking to move into the BCS. Personally, I believe that the Sun Belt and Conference USA will be merging to some degree, combining the best regional teams in the southeast to form a "super conference" in the mid-major ranks. below is the line-up I think COULD form based on region and talent. I also think that both the Belt's and USA's bowl tie-ins would transfer.

East:
    Troy
    FAU
    Middle Tennessee
    Marshall
    Louisiana
    ULM

West:
    Memphis
    Southern Miss
    Tulane
    Lousiana Tech*
    Arkansas State

* If this conference DOES form, I feel La Tech would be willing to leave the WAC for a more regionally sound conference with a significant number of bowl tie-ins.

Now, of course this is probably off a bit, but I think it makes sense. What are your thoughts on this scenario? _
    You have 11 teams...how about Western Kentucky. it would add a 12th team who has a lot of potential and also they have a solid basketball program

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    _ You have 11 teams...how about Western Kentucky. it would add a 12th team who has a lot of potential and also they have a solid basketball program _
    To go along with that you could move Memphis and Western in the the east and move the 2 LA schools into the west

I would like to see South Al in the mix as well. Their baseball progam is top notch and their basketball team has had some success. Not to mention that they will be implementing football very soon.

woops, sorry about that. i meant to have 12. I left out UAB by accident. there ya go, edited.

Post was made as trojan fan updated his post. delete this post

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel02 View Post
    _ If you are going to have 4 LA teams in the same conference, then they all need to be in the same division _
    you're right, i fixed it. man, Louisiana is going to be a battle ground in this scenario!

_ you're right, i fixed it. man, Louisiana is going to be a battle ground in this scenario! _
    I think this would help everyone in the conferences attendance because every game would be drivable except FAU

_ Not sure if this is the right area for this thread, so if it isn't please move it.

East:
    Troy
    FAU
    Middle Tennessee
    Marshall
    Memphis
    UAB**

West:
    Louisiana
    ULM
    Southern Miss
    Tulane
    Lousiana Tech*
    Arkansas State

** if they still have a football program, lol. their basketball will improve the conference.

Now, of course this is probably off a bit, but I think it makes sense. What are your thoughts on this scenario? _
    Not bad.

The only thing I bring up is that you left schools like Houston, Rice, Tulsa, UTEP and North Texas off the list. You have to account for them somewhere. Perhaps UTEP goes to the WACK, and LTU comes back to the region where they don't look like such idiots. That is why I always thought that if there was some rearranging, then some of the Eastern SBC and CUSA teams would merge, and some of the Western SBC and CUSA teams would merge. I think that being the CUSA thinks they're above the SBC, they would basically have control over all of this, and I don't think that some of the CUSA teams I just mentioned would buy into this scenario.

i left off all the texas teams (and those closest to them) because those teams wouldn't fit into this regional conference. the whole point of this conference is to make a strong mid-major league where every team is close and rivalries can form quickly. i think the CUSA teams would be for this realignment because it would cut down on their travel costs, and if the USA bowls signed on with the new league there would be no reason NOT to jump on board.

Tulsa, North Texas, UTEP, etc are too far away.

Blog Entries

What about Houston, Rice, UTEP, UNO, UNT, WKU, FIU and TULSA? Some of these are pretty good schools and I would think they wouldn't just be casted aside. I am thinking that IF there is a conference realignment, it will involve all of these schools and remain 2 seperate conferences. They will just take the far east teams and the most western teams and make the two conferences.

Confence A
    UL
    LA TECH
    Tulane
    Houston
    Rice
    UNT
    UTEP
    Tulsa
    Arkansas St.
    SMU
    UNO*
    Denver*

Conference B
    UAB
    Memphis
    Southern Miss
    Troy
    FAU
    Middle Tennessee
    Marshall
    ULM
    WKU
    FIU
    USA*
    UALR*

*BASKETBALL ONLY

This whole realignment thing has been talked about for a while now. I wonder if it would actually happen? Only thing I don't like about most of the scenarios is there is way too many LA Schools in one conference. JMO

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

My favorite scenario would be an East and West Conference with the following teams.

West: Houston, UNT, Louisiana, La Tech, ASU, Tulsa
    East: Tulane, USM, South Al, Troy, MT, WKU

Of course this will never happen but its nice to talk about.

Geographically & population wise for TV, This is who I would like:

Geographically & population-wise for TV this is who I would like: Houston &/ or Rice, TCU, Tulsa, LaTech, ArkSt., ULL, Tulame, So.Miss, Troy, Memphis, MiddleTenn, UAB &/or S. Alabama

FIU would be a much better option than FAU.

FIU actually has some fans and a football stadium.

From what I've seen, FIU has much better facilities overall, and have many more students, along with a med school, etc.

Would rather have the Miami Market than the Ft. Lauderdale market. I know both are close, but I believe they are considered separate markets.

You almost have to include both, for travel expense purposes, with both of them being on the fringe of any conference.

Would LaTech be in the same conference (let alone division) with ULM ?

4 D1a Louisiana programs in the same athletic conference. Ain't ever going to happen.

hey there Kajun, glad to see ya! i thought i was the lone horseman over here in Cajun country.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun View Post
    _ 4 D1a Louisiana programs in the same athletic conference. Ain't ever going to happen. _

you're probably right, but it DOES make since in the format that I layed out. all this talk of adding the texas schools spreads the conference out way too much.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

West: Rice, UH, NTex, Ark St, SMU ,UL EAST: S MISS, Memp., UAB, Troy, Mid Tenn,W Kent---We only need one Louisiana team with the state shrinking and we have the best attendance and support at home and on the road!!!! Also good interstate roads to get to games!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ West: Rice, UH, NTex, Ark St, SMU ,UL EAST: S MISS, Memp., UAB, Troy, Mid Tenn,W Kent---We only need one Louisiana team with the state shrinking and we have the best attendance and support at home and on the road!!!! Also good interstate roads to get to games!!! _
    IF" the conferences were to ever realign I would want us and LaTech or us and Tulane to be in the same conference. Louisiana does not have an in state rivalry and it would be cool to start one and be in the same conference. I would perfer LaTech. They play every sport that we play and if we scheduled a game with them every year for some sort of trophy (something like the boot). I heard the Troy guy say something about a rivalry between us and ULM but to my knowledge there is no rivalry there. The only in state rivalry (if you want to call it that) would be us vs. UNO in basketball.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast