_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Article.

Default Interesting Article.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs...11/1006/SPORTS

"Having turned down an invitation to the WAC seven years ago makes Authement look like a genius today."

The Techsters have always denied we turned down the WAC. They have a lot of praise for Dr. Authement.

This is so COOL Re: Interesting Article.

Quote Originally Posted by RCAJUN90
    http://www.thenewsstar.com/apps/pbcs...11/1006/SPORTS

"Having turned down an invitation to the WAC seven years ago makes Authement look like a genius today."

The Techsters have always denied we turned down the WAC. They have a lot of praise for Dr. Authement.

We never were invited into the WAC. That is a popular myth. There were discussions early on about the pursuing membership. Those talks never got beyond the embryonic state.

Default Re: Interesting Article.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express
    We never were invited into the WAC. That is a popular myth. There were discussions early on about the pursuing membership. Those talks never got beyond the embryonic state.
    I will trust what I read from a columnist over your information. You are hijacking the point of the post. Dr. Authment at least in this writers opinion has served UL well. This contradicts the ____ and k-sippers. However this is one mans opinion.

I will trust what I read from a columnist over your information. You are hijacking the point of the post. Dr. Authment at least in this writers opinion has served UL well. This contradicts the ____ and k-sippers. However this is one mans opinion.
    What if the columnist was, as you say, a "k-sipper"?

Of course Dr. A has served the school well academically. No one can deny that. But it also cannot be denied that the University would benefit greatly from new blood.

You may never find in "print" that we were offered an invitation (official or unofficial) to the WAC. To me that doesn't mean it didn't happen. "IF" Dr A while meeting with WAC officials and discussing possible membership, was "polled" to determine interest, and he then stated something like "sure we're interested; but only if A, B, etc;" those most likely being "along with UNT, ASU, etc"; then at least in my mind that constitutes an "unofficial" invitation. From what I have read in the past, the WAC (at least during the last round of conference moves) was only interested in adding a single travel partner for LaTech. Apparently no "single" school was willing to take that plundge. No official invitation would be extended unless the parties were certain it would be accepted; hence none exists.

Regardless, this is all water under the bridge. We are where we are, and need to make the most of it. Who knows, perhaps around 2010 (the next projected conference shake-up date being thrown around) we might have a chance at an even more regional alignment that helps the program continue building.

Quote Originally Posted by AstroCajun
    What if the columnist was, as you say, a "k-sipper"?

Of course Dr. A has served the school well academically. No one can deny that. But it also cannot be denied that the University would benefit greatly from new blood.
    Perhaps Dr. A is the best we can get like all our coaches? I think new blood would do the university some good unless we get an idiot. Clearly he has done a good job.

Perhaps Dr. A is the best we can get like all our coaches? I think new blood would do the university some good unless we get an idiot. Clearly he has done a good job.
    JMO; but I think he has done an outstanding job on the academic front. My problem, and I think for many others as well, is that he has failed to recognize the potential that successful athletics (specifically football) brings to the university these days. Maybe it wasn't such a big deal when he took over in the 70's; but today many universities are seen and recognized thru the eyes of ESPN, ABC, NBC, etc. Success and recognition in these venues could have furthered academics along even more. I also understand the problems he faced when we were hit with the basketball death penalty; but tighter reigns and successful programs are not mutally exclusive. We've certainly missed a huge opportunity to move our programs forward with this particular strategy.

This is so COOL Re: Interesting Article.

Probably not a good thing to have anyone in a position for thirty plus years. Most corporations, and even governmental bodies recognize that reasonable turnover is a good thing overall. There are no 100% truths with regards to this, and he may be an exception, but I think George Washington had the right idea, don't overstay your welcome.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Express
    I believe, we told them not to ask. That's different from being invited, but the same result.

At that time, the WAC was trying desperately to avoid inviting Idaho. They first tried UNT. Then, they tried UL and UNT. Both deals never went down.

This is what it would have looked like:

HAWAII
    FRESNO STATE
    SAN JOSE STATE
    NEVADA
    BOISE STATE
    UTAH STATE
    NEW MEXICO STATE
    NORTH TEXAS
    LOUISIANA TECH
    LOUISIANA

I have the idea that this was going to happen, and Doc convinced the president at UNT not to do it. IMHO

To this day, I think this would have worked very well.

Not being in a conference with ULM.

Hosting top 25 teams in Cajun Field, almost every year.....a feat that has happenned all of 1 time in our history.

Being in the 9th ranked RPI conference instead of the 20th for basketball.

A home football schedule that could have included:

Fresno State
    Boise State
    Louisiana Tech
    Hawaii
    Nevada

instead of:

UL-Monroe
    Florida International
    Florida Atlantic
    Middle Tennessee State

VObserver is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Interesting Article.

Quote Originally Posted by HOTBOUDIN
    Fresno State
    Boise State
    Louisiana Tech
    Hawaii
    Nevada

Of those, only LTU would draw any fans to Cajun Field.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver
    Fresno State averages close to 40,000, Hawaii 36,000 and Boise State 30,000 ( I wonder how big their stadium is considering their success this year). Even with the vast distances perhaps they might bring more than Tech. I could see them flying into New Orleans to enjoy the city and making the two hour trip to Lafayette to enjoy the game and Cajun culture. Oh well that ship has sailed and in my opinion we made the right move.

I believe, we told them not to ask. That's different from being invited, but the same result.

At that time, the WAC was trying desperately to avoid inviting Idaho. They first tried UNT. Then, they tried UL and UNT. Both deals never went down.

This is what it would have looked like:

HAWAII
    FRESNO STATE
    SAN JOSE STATE
    NEVADA
    BOISE STATE
    UTAH STATE
    NEW MEXICO STATE
    NORTH TEXAS
    LOUISIANA TECH
    LOUISIANA

I have the idea that this was going to happen, and Doc convinced the president at UNT not to do it. IMHO

To this day, I think this would have worked very well.

Not being in a conference with ULM.

Hosting top 25 teams in Cajun Field, almost every year.....a feat that has happenned all of 1 time in our history.

Being in the 9th ranked RPI conference instead of the 20th for basketball.

A home football schedule that could have included:

Fresno State
    Boise State
    Louisiana Tech
    Hawaii
    Nevada

instead of:

UL-Monroe
    Florida International
    Florida Atlantic
    Middle Tennessee State
    Agree 100%. There are problems that would have come with being in WAC, but it would have put Cajuns athletics on the map and the recruits for football and basketball would be better. But I thought Oklahoma St. and Texas A&M were ranked when they came to Cajun Field, right?

If the WAC had been able to go to divisions then

NEW MEXICO STATE
    NORTH TEXAS
    LOUISIANA TECH
    LOUISIANA
    NEVADA
    UTAH ST.

would have been Cajuns' division perhaps and not much different for travel than sunbelt was before the re-allignment. The out of division games would have been exciting, with teams like Fresno St., Boise St., and Hawaii.

Better than Conference USA, although with logistical problems.

Clutch0364 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Fresno State averages close to 40,000, Hawaii 36,000 and Boise State 30,000 ( I wonder how big their stadium is considering their success this year). Even with the vast distances perhaps they might bring more than Tech. I could see them flying into New Orleans to enjoy the city and making the two hour trip to Lafayette to enjoy the game and Cajun culture. Oh well that ship has sailed and in my opinion we made the right move.
    I believe Boise had begun renovations to their staduim not to long ago but before that it held a little over 30,000.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver

If a top 10 Boise State team can't draw fans to Cajun Field, then we may as well throw in the towel now.

Fresno would draw simply on name recognition and to a lesser extent Nevada and Hawaii.

I know one thing. The current SBC lineup does NOTHING to stir fan interest. In case you haven't noticed, attendance has gone DOWN the last couple of years while we have won more games in that time frame than any other 2 year period since '93-94.

People who disagree with me on this say that all we have to do is win and people will come. Well, we are winning, and they are coming LESS.

The only time in my memory of our 1-A football where winning effected attendance was in 1993. After winning 5 games in a row with wins over Memphis, Southern Miss, and Tulane, we drew 27,814 for, brace yourself, San Jose State.

Since 1-A was instituted in 1982, that attendance is ony surpassed by Texas A&M, and Alabama.

Then again, it was homecoming, and we had just won the trifecta of Memphis,USM, and Tulane.

These are schools that, as I understand it, we will no longer schedule after next season to go along with Houston, Tulsa, Rice, East Carolina, etc. etc.

Trying to convince the average Joe out there to attend home games now makes me feel like I'm asking for donations to Unicef.

UL Football Re: Interesting Article.

If a top 10 Boise State team can't draw fans to Cajun Field, then we may as well throw in the towel now.

Fresno would draw simply on name recognition and to a lesser extent Nevada and Hawaii.

I know one thing. The current SBC lineup does NOTHING to stir fan interest. In case you haven't noticed, attendance has gone DOWN the last couple of years while we have won more games in that time frame than any other 2 year period since '93-94.

People who disagree with me on this say that all we have to do is win and people will come. Well, we are winning, and they are coming LESS.

The only time in my memory of our 1-A football where winning effected attendance was in 1993. After winning 5 games in a row with wins over Memphis, Southern Miss, and Tulane, we drew 27,814 for, brace yourself, San Jose State.

Since 1-A was instituted in 1982, that attendance is ony surpassed by Texas A&M, and Alabama.

Then again, it was homecoming, and we had just won the trifecta of Memphis,USM, and Tulane.

These are schools that, as I understand it, we will no longer schedule after next season to go along with Houston, Tulsa, Rice, East Carolina, etc. etc.

Trying to convince the average Joe out there to attend home games now makes me feel like I'm asking for donations to Unicef.
    You bring up some interesting points. I agree with you Boise would have drawn big last couple of years, as well as Fresno when they were on the big run. I think having one winning season in ten years will not have a dramatic impact on crowds. Even Jake's freshman year we did not have a great increase in crowds with an 8-3 season.

We need to put together several good years in a row to run up the crowds IMO. Winning 7,8,9 games per season for several years are what people are talking about when they say winning will make the big difference. I doubt that people will come to see other good teams come to Cajun field unless we can compete with them. After the first couple the same complacency would set in.

we drew 27,814 for, brace yourself, San Jose State.
    A couple of notes about that game...
    San Jose State had Jeff Garcia... and were one of the picks to win the conference....

IT was Homecoming - we usually drew well for homecoming,

But that # would have hit 30k had it not been freaking FREEEZING COLD

al the fans looked like they were going hunting... the camo reminded me of a ULM game in Monroe

Quote Originally Posted by Pirogue
    A couple of notes about that game...
    San Jose State had Jeff Garcia... and were one of the picks to win the conference....

IT was Homecoming - we usually drew well for homecoming,

But that # would have hit 30k had it not been freaking FREEEZING COLD

al the fans looked like they were going hunting... the camo reminded me of a ULM game in Monroe

I stopped feeling the cold around the second quarter. A few Crown and Cokes will do that to you.

Yes, Jeff Garcia was the QB back then. BOP has disagreed with me on this, but Garcia was the QB for SJSU in '91,'92, and '93 according to their website and our memory

You are correct about the att. It would have hit 30K with better weather. That's the magic of a winning streak AND beating Memphis, USM, and Tulane etc. etc.

For the life of me I can't fathom why we are choosing to go the cheap and easy route with 1-AA's and MAC bottom feeders for non-conference, non- payday games and not scheduling our local, non-BCS competitors.

We have UCF this season, and USM next season, but that's it from what I've heard.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I stopped feeling the cold around the second quarter. A few Crown and Cokes will do that to you.

Yes, Jeff Garcia was the QB back then. BOP has disagreed with me on this, but Garcia was the QB for SJSU in '91,'92, and '93 according to their website and our memory

You are correct about the att. It would have hit 30K with better weather. That's the magic of a winning streak AND beating Memphis, USM, and Tulane etc. etc.

For the life of me I can't fathom why we are choosing to go the cheap and easy route with 1-AA's and MAC bottom feeders for non-conference, non- payday games and not scheduling our local, non-BCS competitors.

We have UCF this season, and USM next season, but that's it from what I've heard.
    None. well virtually none of the local non BCS Division 1 teams want to come to Cajun Field. Why they refuse to, I don't know. They may come for 3 to 1 deals, but we won't agree to that. The only exception may be LA Tech. I think we renew the series with them in 2008.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike
    None. well virtually none of the local non BCS Division 1 teams want to come to Cajun Field. Why they refuse to, I don't know. They may come for 3 to 1 deals, but we won't agree to that. The only exception may be LA Tech. I think we renew the series with them in 2008.
    You're right. I would not do 3 for 1 deals either, but are there not any schools out there willing to do 2 for 1's with us?

I'm speaking specifically of:

Houston
    SMU
    Tulsa
    Southern Miss
    Memphis
    Central Florida

Tulane is different. I would much prefer to play them in NO anyway. Unless, they don't want to play us at all.

I guess those CUSA schools hold all the cards. If they don't want to play us, they don't have to.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

You're right. I would not do 3 for 1 deals either, but are there not any schools out there willing to do 2 for 1's with us?

I'm speaking specifically of:

Houston
    SMU
    Tulsa
    Southern Miss
    Memphis
    Central Florida

Tulane is different. I would much prefer to play them in NO anyway. Unless, they don't want to play us at all.

I guess those CUSA schools hold all the cards. If they don't want to play us, they don't have to.
    Our AD won't play non BCS schools unless it is home and home. Personally, I would play Houston, Rice, Tulane and USM in two for one deals. as those are schools are fans can drive to. I would also get a payday for the third game. Apparently, even that deal is not good enough for a lot of the schools mentioned. Scheduling is a lot harder to do than most of us realize.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast