Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: $1,000,000 to be cut from Athletic Budget (late 2011 story about 2012)

Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 1 MIll cut to Athletics

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    I guess all have heard about the supposed 1 Mill cut to UL athletics---What are the other schools' amounts for their athletic cuts????
    I don't think anyone is being told what departments they have to cut funding from. UL is choosing, as I understand it, to cut $1MM from athletics. Who knows where other schools are making their cuts.

Blog Entries

Default Re: $1,000,000 to be cut from Athletic Budget

If one school can run around bragging about being "non dependant" on State funding.

Could UL now claim being least dependant?

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I don't think anyone is being told what departments they have to cut funding from. UL is choosing, as I understand it, to cut $1MM from athletics. Who knows where other schools are making their cuts.
    That would be correct. The schools are being told how much in cuts to plan for, and their administration is choosing which departments.

Deep in the Ouachita Mountains Hot Springs Village, Ark

Ragin' Cajuns Re: $1,000,000 to be cut from Athletic Budget

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    If one school can run around bragging about being "non dependant" on State funding.

Could UL now claim being least dependant?
    t, that school can run around bragging all they want. when they reimburse the state for tiger stadium and the assembly center, then i'll consider them to be "non dependent" on state funding.

These are sum of the overall cuts required to some of the other universities in millions:

LSU 8.1
    LSU Ag 3.4
    SLU 2.44
    Southern 1.67
    Northwestern 1.57

Note: LSU is using its athletic surplus to lessen the impact.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I guess that the 8.1 is just the BR campus

Do you have the Tech and Monroes and how much in Athletics???

I guess that the 8.1 is just the BR campus

Do you have the Tech and Monroes and how much in Athletics???

Yes, Just LSU-BR 8.1

Approximate total mid-year reductions in millions
    ULM 1.8
    LaTech 2.1
    Gramblin .9

Note: Do not know if any of these schools willl take some of the reductions from athletics.
    UL was the only school that reported athletic reductions, but others may also.

If we are taking a third of the total from athletics

I would think that a near similar percentage would be taken from athletics of the total budget cuts at the other schools

--In fact there would be a chance that maybe even more of a percentage could be taken from athletics at other schools that don't have our income!!!!

--Last year we had great crowds at S-ball, baseball,and basketball to combine with the record football crowds this year!!!!

If we are taking a third of the total from athletics

I would think that a near similar percentage would be taken from athletics of the total budget cuts at the other schools

--In fact there would be a chance that maybe even more of a percentage could be taken from athletics at other schools that don't have our income!!!!-!

I'm not sure it works that way -- the way I understand the higher-ed budget process is that the decision on how to address the budget reduction is made on at the campus level. Each system gets told to cut a percentage and then each campus gets told they'll have to cut a certain amount based on that percentage. At that point, the decision becomes local to each campus. So, how ULM or NSU would address their cuts could have a very different allocation in their budget than what you see at UNO or here. Could be a much higher or much lower percentage in each area.

There's been rumors of this cut on campus for a couple of weeks and I figure the administration has an idea of how they want to deal with them.

What hurts is that this is money used for the day-to-day operations of the University. This is an area that's seen mid-year budget cuts 4 out of the 7 years I've been a graduate student at UL; any cuts now are things are going to cut bone, not meat. Makes me wonder just what it's going to take to make it stop...

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Raise ticket prices in every sport to make up for and exceed the budget cuts!

Blog Entries

I wonder if Authement woke up to the realization . . . 'I could have been making athletic budget cuts all along with impunity if had just endorsed the RCAF, last century.'

I did recently read an article where LaTech would be eliminating "open teaching positions" to cover the budget cuts; therefore, athletics would not be affected.

Is there anyway to see the UL athletic budget that was projected and what was taken in and spent for the half year ending in December????? The reason being is to see how much more we had to spend like on the Bowl game, the trip to ASU for the Championship game where we flew, game security hirings,etc.

---Then the increase in ticket sales, merchandise sales, concession sales, and RCAF and personal donations---I don't think that "IN_Kind' donations are part of it although they are a tremendous help!!! Anyway I would love to see all the salaries and just how every penny is spent!!!

Is there anyway to see the UL athletic budget that was projected and what was taken in and spent for the half year ending in December????? The reason being is to see how much more we had to spend like on the Bowl game, the trip to ASU for the Championship game where we flew, game security hirings,etc.

---Then the increase in ticket sales, merchandise sales, concession sales, and RCAF and personal donations---I don't think that "IN_Kind' donations are part of it although they are a tremendous help!!! Anyway I would love to see all the salaries and just how every penny is spent!!!

This is not the budget, and do not know the reliability of source, but maybe good birds eye view of overall athletics for 2010 (??).

http://www.fldcu.org/louisiana/unive...-at-lafayette/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USL1970 View Post
    This is not the budget, and do not know the reliability of source, but maybe good birds eye view of overall athletics for 2010 (??).

http://www.fldcu.org/louisiana/unive...-at-lafayette/
    I've not run the numbers but it seems after the $1M cut, the numbers are close to the amount needed to fund the scholarships.

Which ironically fits nicely since the Athletic Department turns around and gives the money right back to the University.

So in essence (if this holds up) beyond scholarships, the UL Athletic Department will be totally self funded.

CajunAmos is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

In the UL system, I think there is a fixed percentage of the total institutional budget that can be spent on athletics. If you reduce the total budget, I think you would have to reduce the athletic budget as well. As to the exact amount (or percentage), I'm not sure of that number.

Calling Doc Fun....Doc Zap....Is this private or for us guys to know??????

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Now is the time to bring a student fee for athletics in to place. Have the students vote on a $10 per credit hour student fee which would max out at $120 for a full time student. This would bring our total athletic budget up to around $20M even with the cuts. It is the cost of modern day college athletics, hell FIU and UNT almost fund their entire athletic departments off of student fee's. Louisiana is also one of the only states that university's do not have a student fee for athletics. LSU has one as well, except it is not named student athletic fee, it is for the "right" to have tickets to sporting events. There is no guarantee that you will get student tickets in any sport if you are a student there. So they charge a substantial fee to the 30,000+ students that they do have and only 5,000 get tickets.
    No student fee at LSU.

Here is a link to the breakdown of fees:
    http://www.lsu.edu/catalogs/2011/014fees.shtml

Here is another breakdown of how much tuition and each fee is:
    http://www.bgtplan.lsu.edu/fees/11-12/undergrad.pdf

Once again, LSU doesn't take a dime from the state or the student funds. Everything raised is either raised by the Athletic Dept or TAF.

There are fees for student ticket holders, but not students. LSU students only pay $12 per ticket for a football game and every other sport is free.

Blog Entries

Did we ever post a link to this story?

Perhaps on another thread?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2