Thread: W O W

UL Basketball W O W

First, let me offer congrats for a hard fought loss. If there ever was a thing (and I believe there is) as a good loss, tonight was one of those nights. The UL team played very hard, but like others on this board have said throughout the night, were overmatched at many (definately not every) positions. I salute your team and coaches for the effort put forth in this game. Because of Mitchell and Southall, you'll be a tough out during the conference tournament.

Second, I want to offer any apologies for anything I have said about Southall. Like many UL posters have said throughout the year on the SBC board, he definately has changed his attitude. For me, I incorrectly took all of those comments and let them pass right over my head, without giving them any thought.

Tonight, we pushed and grabbed (nothing dirty, just rough; and several fouls were called for it) and students verbally harrassed Southall nearly every trip down the court. I kept waiting for him explode. I even told my little sister that its gonna happen any minute (about 5 times throughout the game) and it never did. The Michael Southall I last saw (the 2003 Sun Belt Tournament at Diddle) would have retaliated and lost all focus. Not tonight. He never gave in; in fact, I think he used that as motivation to up his performance.

Several times during the game, he was talking to different people on our team with great sportsmanship. Twice, he helped our fallen players off the floor. A couple of times, he joked with the referees. What I am getting at is the fact that he looked and acted like a completely different person. If there was ever a success story in college basketball, his complete change of attitude has to rank up there with it. Our fans gave him heck the entire night, and he seemed to completely block it out. When he fouled out, the entire gym was applauding--- some for the mere fact that he fouled out (which I don't agree with), some for the fact that we didn't have to worry about his ability anymore during this game, and some (including myself) applauded his turnaround.

Cajun fans, you may not have won the ball game tonight, but in my book the players, coaches, fans, and Michael Southall all proved they are winners in the game of life (which is much more important). You should all be very proud of the way they represented the University of Louisiana.

Default Re: Wow

Thanks for the kind words, Topper...I think it's safe to say that all us Cajun fans were a little upset with the way we played the first half (or I guess that you played so well? ), but the 2nd half was representative of what we all believe somewhere inside that this team can be. Here's hoping we continue to up our effort like we did tonight and see you guys again in the tournament!

On the issue of Southall and the rest of the team being personality-reformed, I am definitely happy that people on the outside get that image as well, which is astounding considering some Cajun fans miss the boat on that issue. For so long the emphasis with Coach Evans was all about winning and almost none on the players being better people when they left than when they got here... Coach Lee may not be quite the gameday coach or recruiter that Evans was, but he gets the big picture. I know in the big business of college athletics wins and losses are numero uno, but to see a guy like Michael Southall, who was on the fast track to nowhere under Evans, earn his way back onto the team and continue that effort both on and off the court even when some around him aren't is in a way inspiring. I'm glad to have a better teacher of life lessons and demander of personal accountability coaching this team, even if it means a few less wins a season.

Thanks for stopping by.

Topper-

I would love if you could share this with the members of the Hilltopper Haven message board.

I would like to compliment WKU on the way that they represented the Sunbelt Conference on national televsion last night It was a great crowd and a second-to-none atmosphere. I think this year the Hilltoppers are more of a complete team than the Cajuns, and they proved it. Your guard play was better. Michael kept us in the game. But your guards were always able to hit the big shot when it was needed. Last year, we won by about the same margin at home, this year the Hilltoppers won.

I think Coach Horn's style of play helped spark our offense a little bit, as we have been struggling with zone defenses as of late. But when your team excels in uptempo environments like the Hilltoppers do, then you have to stick with your plan. Anthony Winchester is amazing and has been a joy to watch the past years, and I am not looking forward to having to deal with Courtney Lee in the future.

Basically, it was a great showcase of college basketball for the nation to see. There is a reason one of these two teams has been the league champions for the past six years. Although we are down this year, I have full faith that Coach Lee is going to build a team that is not reliant on transfers. I only wish that the two schools were closer, and in the same division. Because these contests are truly growing into one of the premier non-BCS college basketbal lrivalries. Best of luck unless we meet you guys in the tournament.

Blog Entries

This is so COOL Re: Wow

Quote Originally Posted by 01Topper
    First, let me offer congrats for a hard fought loss. . .

Second, I want to offer any apologies for anything I have said about Southall. . .
    I have read many a gracious win post, but what you wrote about Southall brought a tear to my eye.

Thanks 01Topper, it's a must read.

WOW is right!

Thanks Michael Southall, I'm feeling a little proud of you this fine morning

Default Re: W O W

After last night I got the confidence back in this team and I appreciate the kind words from you topper because its nice to finally get a little good feedback after such a bad year. Hopefully we get a chance for redemption come tourny time but I know regardless of who represents this conference in the big dance out of the sunbelt they will be a class act.

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

First, let me offer congrats for a hard fought loss. If there ever was a thing (and I believe there is) as a good loss, tonight was one of those nights. The UL team played very hard, but like others on this board have said throughout the night, were overmatched at many (definately not every) positions. I salute your team and coaches for the effort put forth in this game. Because of Mitchell and Southall, you'll be a tough out during the conference tournament.

Second, I want to offer any apologies for anything I have said about Southall. Like many UL posters have said throughout the year on the SBC board, he definately has changed his attitude. For me, I incorrectly took all of those comments and let them pass right over my head, without giving them any thought.

Tonight, we pushed and grabbed (nothing dirty, just rough; and several fouls were called for it) and students verbally harrassed Southall nearly every trip down the court. I kept waiting for him explode. I even told my little sister that its gonna happen any minute (about 5 times throughout the game) and it never did. The Michael Southall I last saw (the 2003 Sun Belt Tournament at Diddle) would have retaliated and lost all focus. Not tonight. He never gave in; in fact, I think he used that as motivation to up his performance.

Several times during the game, he was talking to different people on our team with great sportsmanship. Twice, he helped our fallen players off the floor. A couple of times, he joked with the referees. What I am getting at is the fact that he looked and acted like a completely different person. If there was ever a success story in college basketball, his complete change of attitude has to rank up there with it. Our fans gave him heck the entire night, and he seemed to completely block it out. When he fouled out, the entire gym was applauding--- some for the mere fact that he fouled out (which I don't agree with), some for the fact that we didn't have to worry about his ability anymore during this game, and some (including myself) applauded his turnaround.

Cajun fans, you may not have won the ball game tonight, but in my book the players, coaches, fans, and Michael Southall all proved they are winners in the game of life (which is much more important). You should all be very proud of the way they represented the University of Louisiana.
    Thanks, congrats on the win last night..

Z.

I think I'm going to cry.

Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux
    Thanks for the kind words, Topper...I think it's safe to say that all us Cajun fans were a little upset with the way we played the first half (or I guess that you played so well? ), but the 2nd half was representative of what we all believe somewhere inside that this team can be. Here's hoping we continue to up our effort like we did tonight and see you guys again in the tournament!

On the issue of Southall and the rest of the team being personality-reformed, I am definitely happy that people on the outside get that image as well, which is astounding considering some Cajun fans miss the boat on that issue. For so long the emphasis with Coach Evans was all about winning and almost none on the players being better people when they left than when they got here... Coach Lee may not be quite the gameday coach or recruiter that Evans was, but he gets the big picture. I know in the big business of college athletics wins and losses are numero uno, but to see a guy like Michael Southall, who was on the fast track to nowhere under Evans, earn his way back onto the team and continue that effort both on and off the court even when some around him aren't is in a way inspiring. I'm glad to have a better teacher of life lessons and demander of personal accountability coaching this team, even if it means a few less wins a season.

Thanks for stopping by.

I agree with you partly in that making these guysbetter people is a priority for coach lee and i applaude that. This is also why he was the assistant for so long and he should never be let go from this program. However, winning is important at this level and maybe he could stay on as an assistant. I beleive he has what it takes to coach them, we are gonna hurt with recruiting. A lot of people forget what jesse had around his finger that hardly any coaches do. That is a big part of recruiting and nothing against coach lee but he does not have the past credentials in coaching to get those big name players.

UL Basketball Re: Wow

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun
    I agree with you partly in that making these guysbetter people is a priority for coach lee and i applaude that. This is also why he was the assistant for so long and he should never be let go from this program. However, winning is important at this level and maybe he could stay on as an assistant. I beleive he has what it takes to coach them, we are gonna hurt with recruiting. A lot of people forget what jesse had around his finger that hardly any coaches do. That is a big part of recruiting and nothing against coach lee but he does not have the past credentials in coaching to get those big name players.
    Well first off crazycajun, you are taking the low road. It is my understanding that the General did the recruiting for Evans. Evans made personal appearances in recruit's homes, but the groundwork was laid by Lee. So why knock Lee's ability as a recruiter? I would think that giving him time to prove that the Cajuns can attract high level talent should be the order of the day.

What I sense in your post is that you question his head coaching ability. That also remains to be seen. Keep the faith!

UL Basketball Re: W O W

Avery good post, and an accurate one, I might add. I for one was not to enthralled with Southall being allowed to return to the team. But I admit my false assumptions. The young man, with the assistance of Coach Lee, has turned his life around.

It was a tremendous college basketball atmoshphere at Diddle. I salute the Hilltoppers for their win. The shooting ability of your team is almost unbelievable. That kind of effort should get you all into the "Big Dance" and to advance in the tournament.

We Cajun have heard all the horror stories of WKU fans. Thankfully, I now realize that our fears are not completely founded, if the majority of the folks are of your calibre. I believe that to be the case.