_ _ _ _
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Attendance at FIU game

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    638

    UL Football Attendance at FIU game

    Why do you think there was a dropoff of 5000 from the Troy game? I have heard duck hunting season started. It was LSU game fatigue. Who is FIU? We always lose the big games, who knew we would win.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    638

    Default Re: Attendance at FIU game

    I forgot to say what I think the problem is. These big wig entertainers who invite people to the game but never come inside. I know I saw 4000 stay outside.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Eunice, LA
    Posts
    1,702

    UL Football Re: Attendance at FIU game

    Quote Originally Posted by gridiron
    Why do you think there was a dropoff of 5000 from the Troy game? I have heard duck hunting season started. It was LSU game fatigue. Who is FIU? We always lose the big games, who knew we would win.
    Who the hell knows. I give up on trying to figure it out. Duck hunting is kind of a lame excuse. The game is at 6 pm and they have been out of the duck blinds since 9 am, and had their afternoon beauty nap at home. Nope, a better reason has to be found.

    The televised lsu game might have had some influence, since it ran over past our game starting time. Even the student side numbers appeared to be lacking.

    Frankly I have no idea what the problem is/can/could be.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    1,336

    Default Re: Attendance at FIU game

    The problem is that there is no passion for Cajun football in the general community. The 10 years of losing football has lost the interest of alumni and the general public. There has been no stars to root for, no rivals to hate, and generally lousy football. This year has been great but we were 1-5 to start year. Most people quit following thinking that it is the same old same old. We played a bad FIU team. The solution is to keep improving the team and have back to back winning seasons. I'd like to ask the people who keep worrying about attendance this. What other mid-major that lost for 10 seasons in a row could attract almost 17000 people to a game?


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    11,804

    Default Re: Attendance at FIU game

    Our attendence is still better than everyone elses in the sunbelt. North Texas had not lost a sunbelt game until this year and their attendence is horrible. Could you imagine if the cajuns won four straight title! we would have to expand the stadium. I also put some blame on the university. The university is horrible at marketing sports events. They make it seem like you should go to the game only if you don't have anything better to do! There should be banners and stuff all over campus advertising the game. I promise you over half the student body did not know that saturday was the most important game in ten years. I bet they don't know that Nov. 26th is the most important game in ten years. Even the faculty barely pushes the games. The teachers should make sure and announce home games in class and remind everyone to go to the game. Give extra points to the students with a ticket stub from teh game! Also, duck season is not a lame excuse it always hurts our attendence every year!


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,760
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Attendance at FIU game

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun
    The university is horrible at marketing sports events.
    Bingo !!!

    Overall the University is marketing Lafayette and to Lafayette, not Louisiana or even Acadiana as a whole.

    But when it comes to sports I see no marketing at all . . . wait I saw a couple of billboards.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    1,446

    Default Re: Attendance at FIU game

    The problem with the student attendance is this...We have more foreign students at our campus and they just don't support sports...There is just no other way to put it...:confused:


  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    228

    Default Re: Attendance at FIU game

    Quote Originally Posted by gridiron
    I forgot to say what I think the problem is. These big wig entertainers who invite people to the game but never come inside. I know I saw 4000 stay outside.
    Quit blaming tailgaters, they bring pizzazz to game day. Corp type who buy NFL suites and bring friends or clients never face the football field and you don't see the NFL complaining.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Sportsman's Paradise
    Posts
    210

    Default Re: Attendance at FIU game

    Quote Originally Posted by gridiron
    I forgot to say what I think the problem is. These big wig entertainers who invite people to the game but never come inside. I know I saw 4000 stay outside.
    You must have been pretty drunk on your way into the game(no offense), cause I made the walk from near Bertrand drive and didn't see anywhere that number. The ones that I did see were plastered to the tv watching LSU.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    2,244

    Default Re: Attendance at FIU game

    Quote Originally Posted by CRAWFISH61
    The problem is that there is no passion for Cajun football in the general community. The 10 years of losing football has lost the interest of alumni and the general public. There has been no stars to root for, no rivals to hate, and generally lousy football. This year has been great but we were 1-5 to start year. Most people quit following thinking that it is the same old same old. We played a bad FIU team. The solution is to keep improving the team and have back to back winning seasons. I'd like to ask the people who keep worrying about attendance this. What other mid-major that lost for 10 seasons in a row could attract almost 17000 people to a game?

    No stars? I would argue that we have had more stars in the last decade than any other previous decade. I remember everyone sitting around TVs watching the NFL draft in 87 or 88 when I first started at UL. Apparently we had a defensive end that was taken in the 3rd round (I can remember that but can't remember his name to save my life. Go figure.) and it was a huge deal that a Cajun was being drafted. In the last decade, it has been commonplace. Not only are they getting on rosters, they are winning staring jobs. Delhomme, Stokley, Ivan Taylor, Charles Tillman, CC Brown. All stars here and all were fun to watch. I also think we have more than a few on this roster that are worth watching. I think our problem with attendance is no different than anyone elses. There are football fans, and then there are people who like to be associated with winning. Football fans are the minority by far. Your last sentence certainly makes the point though. UNT barely pulls that when they are winning.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    1,336

    Default Re: Attendance at FIU game

    I did mean last 10 years or after Jake and Brandon. The players you noted were buried under losing games and mainly on defense. I believe with Tyrell, Mike, Jerry, and the other guys on offense we'll have to once again stars to follow and on winning teams which will improve the attendance. I also believe that once we beginning having more heated rivalries within the Sunbelt that will help. We spent along time as an independent with nothing to play for and except for La tech no rivals. I do believe that as the program and the conference improves that attendance will improve.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    607

    Default Re: Attendance at FIU game

    Quote Originally Posted by gridiron
    Why do you think there was a dropoff of 5000 from the Troy game? I have heard duck hunting season started. It was LSU game fatigue. Who is FIU? We always lose the big games, who knew we would win.

    1-Florida Int

    2-Sunbelt Conference

    3-LSU game

    Theres 3 reason why there was a dropoff..

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    638

    Default Re: Attendance at FIU game

    Quote Originally Posted by Mineshaft
    1-Florida Int

    2-Sunbelt Conference

    3-LSU game

    Theres 3 reason why there was a dropoff..


    Also, it wasn't Homecoming.....but still no excuse!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    634

    Default Re: Attendance at FIU game

    Quote Originally Posted by CRAWFISH61
    The problem is that there is no passion for Cajun football in the general community. The 10 years of losing football has lost the interest of alumni and the general public. There has been no stars to root for, no rivals to hate, and generally lousy football. This year has been great but we were 1-5 to start year. Most people quit following thinking that it is the same old same old. We played a bad FIU team. The solution is to keep improving the team and have back to back winning seasons. I'd like to ask the people who keep worrying about attendance this. What other mid-major that lost for 10 seasons in a row could attract almost 17000 people to a game?
    Very good post and an accurate analysis of what is going on with the Cajuns' program. Also add what a couple of other posters mentioned that the L(ittle)S(chool) U(p) the road was playing the # 4 team in the nation and FIU and us were probably #'s 125 and 150, have a lot to do with our attendance. I agree with you though, in looking at other Mid Majors attendances in the paper Sunday, we did fairly well.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    1,299

    UL Football Re: Attendance at FIU game

    slight correction to what showdog said, there are only 117 teams in D-IA. But still we are in the high 100's, or low 90's right now.

    But overall, I would have to agree with the poster who said that for having 10 losing seasons in a row, and we can still pull 17,000 says ALOT. However, we could say much more when we start winning more, and when once we start winning more, and we also start marketing it better, watch out! Things are lookin up y'all. Just have faith.

    God Bless


  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Eunice, LA
    Posts
    1,702

    UL Football Re: Attendance at FIU game

    Things are lookin up y'all. Just have faith.

    God Bless

    I like that Sid. Keep on preaching!!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    589

    Default Re: Attendance at FIU game

    FIU has always been a fun game at Cajun Field, cause their players suck. Unfortunately I had to work this weekend and it's one of the only games I missed this season.

    It's true... we'ere doing pretty good for a team that hasn't seen a winning season in 10 years.

    I agree that our University does a poor job of marketing games. They've been poor at marketing basketball games too. Usually you don't know about them until the night of the game.

    We're getting there. This town has the capacity to bring 25,000 to the Field on a regular basis. We've hit 22,000 I believe a time or two in the last 3 years.

    The university pushed the Bustle program hard the first 3 years... now Bustles taking over. The program will see better days.


  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    1,188

    Ragin' Cajuns Re: Attendance at FIU game

    Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    slight correction to what showdog said, there are only 117 teams in D-IA. But still we are in the high 100's, or low 90's right now.

    But overall, I would have to agree with the poster who said that for having 10 losing seasons in a row, and we can still pull 17,000 says ALOT. However, we could say much more when we start winning more, and when once we start winning more, and we also start marketing it better, watch out! Things are lookin up y'all. Just have faith.

    God Bless

    It is really disappointing we can't average 22,000 plus. All these local -yocals who keep calling in and putting us down are really those who don't want us to succeed. Most can't read anyway. Didn't even grad from college but must have something to put down in order to make themselves look big but are really small people.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    2,244

    Default Re: Attendance at FIU game

    Quote Originally Posted by CRAWFISH61
    I did mean last 10 years or after Jake and Brandon. The players you noted were buried under losing games and mainly on defense. I believe with Tyrell, Mike, Jerry, and the other guys on offense we'll have to once again stars to follow and on winning teams which will improve the attendance. I also believe that once we beginning having more heated rivalries within the Sunbelt that will help. We spent along time as an independent with nothing to play for and except for La tech no rivals. I do believe that as the program and the conference improves that attendance will improve.
    I see your point. It is likely the offensive stars that bring people out of the parking lot and into the stadium to see what they are going to do next.

  20. #20
    DaddyCajun's Avatar
    DaddyCajun is offline Dig deep UL will Prosper! Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Da Cro
    Posts
    5,878

    UL Football Re: Attendance at FIU game

    Quote Originally Posted by Sid
    slight correction to what showdog said, there are only 117 teams in D-IA. But still we are in the high 100's, or low 90's right now.

    But overall, I would have to agree with the poster who said that for having 10 losing seasons in a row, and we can still pull 17,000 says ALOT. However, we could say much more when we start winning more, and when once we start winning more, and we also start marketing it better, watch out! Things are lookin up y'all. Just have faith.

    God Bless

    Yes Sir Sid you are very right, just have the faith. Build it and they WILL come.

    Does anyone know how to find the ratings NCAA 1-117 for football and the NCAA listing of rankings in Mens and Womens basketball????


    DaddyCajun

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •