_ _ _ _

Thread: FRANKly My Dears

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default FRANKly My Dears

Man the crew at Franks Casing (Ms Mosing) gave a cool 2.5 mil to the Engineering Dept tonight

Zappy was quite pleased---Endowment over 115 Million in a recession taint bad!!!! Actually I think it is much higher because of present and near future match programs---Endowed chairs in Enge, Bus stats, and Gen Bus---Muchos schollys for some great future Cajuns

biggest Fresh class, smartest Freshman class---Close to 17K enrollment!!!

Default Re: FRANKly My Dears

Great to hear!

OUTSTANDING!! WAY TO GEAUX FRANK'S!!!

Awesome!! As an engineering grad this is like music to my ears.

And my understanding is that the UL Mechanical Engineering Department is the largest engineering department in the state of Louisiana.

Big things happening, and it ain't just football!

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Just to increase my knowledge of it, can somebody explain in a short way the differences of the engineering programs like mechanical , petro, elect????? T-Joe was talking about some of the accomplishments of the various departments and I think some are working together maybe on projects!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    Just to increase my knowledge of it, can somebody explain in a short way the differences of the engineering programs like mechanical , petro, elect????? T-Joe was talking about some of the accomplishments of the various departments and I think some are working together maybe on projects!!
    I took this from the great Wikipedia, but it sums it up well.

Chemical engineering – The exploitation of both engineering and chemical principles in order to carry out large scale chemical process.

Civil engineering – The design and construction of public and private works, such as infrastructure (airports, roads, railways, water supply and treatment etc.), bridges, dams, and buildings.

Electrical engineering – a very broad area that may encompass the design and study of various electrical and electronic systems, such as electrical circuits, generators, motors, electromagnetic/electromechanical devices, electronic devices, electronic circuits, optical fibers, optoelectronic devices, computer systems, telecommunications and electronics.

Mechanical engineering – The design of physical or mechanical systems, such as power and energy systems, aerospace/aircraft products, weapon systems, transportation products engines, compressors, powertrains, kinematic chains, vacuum technology, and vibration isolation equipment.

Beyond these four, sources vary on other main branches. Historically, naval engineering and mining engineering were major branches. Modern fields sometimes included as major branches include aerospace, architectural, biomedical, industrial, materials science and nuclear engineering.

If this wasn't what you're looking for let me know.

To elaborate on your last statement I would say you're correct. Not sure what's going on there now as far as large projects, but 2-3 years ago the BeauSoleil Home was a huge collaboration between Electrical and Mechanical Engineering, the Architecture folks, and other departments at UL. On the electrical side I can say for sure what projects they are doing now in senior design as of last semester. BeauSoleil house monitoring and automation system, Cajun Advanced Picosatellite Experiment 2 (CAPE-2), the yearly IEEE robot competition, Swarm Bots (multiple robots working together to accomplish a common task, think ant/bee behavior in robots, scary I know), and various other projects. Lots of good things going on. Dean Zappi and all the department heads are doing a great job.

Anyone else care to elaborate more?

CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Along with the new PHD program just approved by the State Board of Regents, things continue to move grow.