Thread: College athletics expects deep cuts

Support College athletics expects deep cuts

The budget news kept getting worse for the University of Louisiana's athletic department on the eve of the 4 p.m. homecoming football game today against Troy at Cajun Field.

What interim athletic director David Walker thought was an $84,000 cut probably became a $140,000 cut Friday, and it's likely that won't be the last slice.

"When you've got a budget balanced to the penny, any of those amounts are a lot," Walker said Friday, "but even at $84,000, we're cutting into programs. If it's more than that, we're talking about a significant difference, and if we have more cuts, it'll be extremely damaging to how we operate."

How the cuts will affect each sport isn't known since Walker has not spoken to all the head coaches, but one immediate possibility is shifting from a charter flight to a bus trip for next Saturday's football game at North Texas. Those savings would be approximately $40,000.

"We're still not sure there," Walker said. "We may bus there and fly back. ... We'll see what kind of costs we have, but we can't just take it all out of travel. We'll just try to do the best we can."

UL President Ray Authement said Tuesday that UL's operating budget likely will have to cut about 3 percent, or approximately $1.8 million. Authement and the state's other university presidents received word of the shared budget cuts Tuesday.

Walker said the state-funded portion of the athletic budget comes to approximately $2.8 million out of the university's total $58 million state appropriation. The 3 percent cut from the athletic budget translates to $84,000.

However, Walker said Friday that Authement received word from the Board of Regents that the initial cut will be closer to 5 percent. That translates into a $2.9 million cut for the university and a $140,000 cut for athletics.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
    dmcdonald@theadvertiser.com

Default Re: College athletics expects deep cuts

Not good....

Why don't we the fans assess ourselves, about $2.00 for every ticket for the rest of the year or have a collection plate or pot to put money in. I know it sounds cheap but if you take total attendance of all sports for the rest of the year, add it up, I bet we could raise $140,000.00 plus. I know this is a task but look at all the spring sports that are gonna be affected by this crunch. Our spring sports are our national recognition sports.

PS I include Basketball in this also.

Let's hear from you

Quote Originally Posted by USLJim
    Why don't we the fans assess ourselves, about $2.00 for every ticket for the rest of the year or have a collection plate or pot to put money in. I know it sounds cheap but if you take total attendance of all sports for the rest of the year, add it up, I bet we could raise $140,000.00 plus. I know this is a task but look at all the spring sports that are gonna be affected by this crunch. Our spring sports are our national recognition sports.

PS I include Basketball in this also.

Let's hear from you

Great Idea!

That is a great idea. I also think they should do the 50/50 fundraiser at all sporting events. It provides support and adds excitement to the game. Last night if 10000 people spent an average of 5 bucks that would raise $25,000 for the program.

Came up with another idea. Get the "S" CLub to sponsor a raffle. Give away a fabulous vacation or Car from one of our LOYAL Car dealers. Raffle would go til Thursday before Memorial Weekend. Have the drawing so the prize vacation or car can be used for the long weekend. Sell the raffle tickets at every sporting event up til the Thursday before Memorial weekend or so. $5.00 or $10.00 per ticket, make it affordable for all. Need ideas.

Alumni Re: College athletics expects deep cuts

Quote Originally Posted by CRAWFISH61
    That is a great idea. I also think they should do the 50/50 fundraiser at all sporting events. It provides support and adds excitement to the game. Last night if 10000 people spent an average of 5 bucks that would raise $25,000 for the program.

Now is the time for UL to start Fund Raising exclusively for football, like TAF. UL should easily be able to raise $250,000 from major donars and from the average fans like us. We have only a $7,500,000 budget. This needs to be supplemented by private fund raising and now is the time to start. An athletic department shouldn't need raffles to raise money. We will never be competitive if we don't commit to doing what other major programs do. We have got to start thinking "big time" and act like a program on the move. We might have a chance at C-USA, but having to hold raffles to meet budget cuts will not cut it. It is time for this university to step up. UL should not have to depend on state funds for athletics. We need to be self-supporting. A winning program will bring fans and increased attendance that will bring in extra revenue. But private funding is the real key right now to get us to the next winning level, then everything will build on that.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: College athletics expects deep cuts

Quote Originally Posted by SugarLandCajun
    Now is the time for UL to start Fund Raising exclusively for football, like TAF. UL should easily be able to raise $250,000 from major donars and from the average fans like us. We have only a $7,500,000 budget. This needs to be supplemented by private fund raising and now is the time to start. An athletic department shouldn't need raffles to raise money. We will never be competitive if we don't commit to doing what other major programs do. We have got to start thinking "big time" and act like a program on the move. We might have a chance at C-USA, but having to hold raffles to meet budget cuts will not cut it. It is time for this university to step up. UL should not have to depend on state funds for athletics. We need to be self-supporting. A winning program will bring fans and increased attendance that will bring in extra revenue. But private funding is the real key right now to get us to the next winning level, then everything will build on that.
    Don't miss understand what I mean by raffle. this idea of a raffle was only to help make up for the $140,000.00 shortfall this season.
    You are exactly right in wanting to get a Athletic Foundation started. I wholeheartly agree. It needs to done STARTING NOW.

Finally the state of Louisiana is cutting down on the wastefull expenditure of funding something as wastefull as Cajun athletics. In my opinion we need to shut down the Cajun football program and move the money saved to LSU. The state needs to rewards its winners and strategically withdraw resources from loosing progams. Especially ones that win 3 games a year

Default UL to shorten days to save funds

Spring will bring a shorter work and class week to the University of Louisiana's campus as a means to save about $200,000 in utility costs, said UL President Ray Authement.

Starting Jan. 3, the campus will close at noon on Fridays and the work day will be extended from 4:30 p.m. to 5 p.m. for the rest of the week, Authement said. The changes are expected to also carry through the summer. Students will notice adjustments in the schedule posted on the online registration system. All changes should be final by Friday.

"It's not a hard change," Authement said.

On Friday afternoon, students were split on the decision.

Right now, Fridays off don't seem like such a bad deal, said Scott Guidry, a visual arts major.

"As long as I don't have to reschedule my classes, I love that," he said.

"Limiting our classes limits our life options," said Candice Fulard, a junior in public relations. "I'm trying to graduate, and marketing and public relations classes are the hardest to get into. They're getting rid of the adjuncts, so that means that now my teacher can't focus on me because he has five or six other classes."

Authement said the work and class schedule changes are being made in an effort to avoid cutting staff.

"There will be nobody losing any salaries," Authement said. "We're not reducing anybody. We're expanding the work day and letting them work longer."

As the state has reviewed its budget, UL initially faced a cut of 3 percent, or $1.8 million, but that was increased to 4 percent. As of late Thursday, the cut was about 6.3 percent, but that's changed, too.

"It changed overnight," Authement said. "I'm waiting on official word over what will be required, but it's less than 6.3 percent, but I don't know the exact percentage now."

Until the budget cuts are finalized, open positions still are frozen, including the search for a new athletic director, Authement said.

The rest of the story

Marsha Sills
    msills@theadvertiser.com