This is going to be a hard day for Meredith Smith and Ainsley Breaux.

The senior co-captains for the Louisiana Ragin' Cajun soccer team will play in their final home match when UL hosts South Alabama at 1 p.m. today, and it will be hard to leave behind a program they've helped build.

"It has meant a lot to play for a program in my hometown," said Breaux, a product of St. Thomas More. "It's a program that I watched, even when I didn't play here yet.

"We've come so far, and it will be an exciting program to watch in the years to come. It will be awesome to come back and watch them play."

"I think we've laid a foundation," said Smith, the 2004 team MVP. "Our turnover rate has been high. We only have three seniors (Rachel Rozelle is the third), instead of five or six. Every year is getting better, though."

"We had a class of 11, and there are only three of us this year," Breaux said.

Smith is tied with Natalie Hanks for No. 2 on UL's career matches list with 71 and will tie No. 1 Sherry Owens today. She takes her job as captain seriously but maintains a level head.

"I don't tell them what to do," she said. "I hope they follow my actions. I do the right thing and hope they follow me, and I feel they do that."

The rest of the story

bbrown@theadvertiser.com