_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Will the Sunbelt fall apart?

Default Will the Sunbelt fall apart?

C-USA is losing three members to the Big East...

It appears that UCF, Houston and SMU will be heading East.

This leaves a ton of open spots in C-USA. You would have to believe that UNT, FIU, MTSU, WKU, and FAU will all be considered. Also, the defections of the Western schools in CUSA give the Eastern schools a much stronger voting presence. UTEP could also quickly defect to the Mountain West now that there closest opponent would be Tulsa.

It depends if CUSA wants to get back to 12 or is content with the new football merger with MWC to stay at 10. If they go to 12, the Sunbelt will either disintegrate or be extremely weakened.

Thoughts?

Default Re: Will the Sunbelt fall apart?

Why are those schools deemed more worthy then us?

Yes...

No...

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Will the Sunbelt fall apart?

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    C-USA is losing three members to the Big East...

It appears that UCF, Houston and SMU will be heading East.

This leaves a ton of open spots in C-USA. You would have to believe that UNT, FIU, MTSU, WKU, and FAU will all be considered. Also, the defections of the Western schools in CUSA give the Eastern schools a much stronger voting presence. UTEP could also quickly defect to the Mountain West now that there closest opponent would be Tulsa.

It depends if CUSA wants to get back to 12 or is content with the new football merger with MWC to stay at 10. If they go to 12, the Sunbelt will either disintegrate or be extremely weakened.

Thoughts?
    So, you don't think UL would be considered at all??

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    So, you don't think UL would be considered at all??
    At this point in time, I don't think we do enough to increase their profile for television. I'm not convinced they move beyond 10 though.

If this shakes down where the Sunbelt is raided by CUSA, we are screwed! Why? Because we have a lame duck commissioner in Wright Waters, who wasn't that good to begin with. Maybe he has a MOU he's hiding in his pocket.

GEAUX UL!

At this point in time, I don't think we do enough to increase their profile for television. I'm not convinced they move beyond 10 though.
    And UNT, FIU, MTSU, WKU, and FAU DO?? Considering the way our athletics, football included , are performing at this time, UL would have to be part of this list at the very LEAST!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    And UNT, FIU, MTSU, WKU, and FAU DO?? Considering the way our athletics, football included , are performing at this time, UL would have to be part of this list at the very LEAST!!!
    Not about quality of the program it is about markets...

UNT = DFW
    FIU = Miami
    FAU = Miami/Ft. Lauderdale
    MTU = Nashville
    WKU = Bad market, but if those schools leave CUSA the Eastern voting block becomes much stronger.

UNT = DFW
    FIU = Miami
    MTU = Nashville
    WKU = Bad market, but if those schools leave CUSA the Eastern voting block becomes much stronger.
    We need to push ourselves in the NOLA market after we KICK-@$$ in the New Olreans Bowl!!!

I would think having 30K at football and 8 or 9k in BB would have some influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    I would think having 30K at football and 8 or 9k in BB would have some influence.
    That is our strongest argument. As well as facilities and CWS appearances by our spring sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Chop View Post
    As would our tiny athletic budget.

cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by HOUCajun View Post
    As would our tiny athletic budget.
    I believe our athletic budget will be above 15M this year, soon to be voted on student fee will bring us to over 20m within three years. That is without RCAF contributions. We are growing rapidly and university presidents are taking notice.

If we could get into CUSA this could extend coach huds stay a few more years.
    This would remove a bunch of teams that could lure him away.
    Teams like Memphis, Tulsa, Houston etc.. would all of a sudden become lateral moves.
    All of a sudden you would not have to worry about Hud leaving for any school other then a major FCS program.

Blog Entries

I 'll tell you what makes a school attractive to any conference, and of course the answer has to be yes . . .

Can a school ever expect an 11-1 record and get a BCS invite, so the entire conference shares in the winnings?

The answer to that question trumps market size, athletic budget, and any other criteria.

UNT = DFW
    FIU = Miami
    MTU = Nashville
    Our market size is larger than we give it credit for.
    When you include the surrounding parishes, our region is close to 450k.

...and within that 450k, we have much better "share of mind" than UNT has in Dallas, MTU in Nashville, or FIU/FAU have in Miami.

Those schools are all dwarfed by other sports options. We've got a strong and growing pull in our local market.

Ok here's my take on the situation.

1. The Sun Belt will be just fine. We may lose some members but we'll always be able to pull from the imploding WAC. I would be very surprised if La Tech (once they swallow their pride), UTSA, Texas State, Idaho, NMSU, or Utah State would turn down Sun Belt membership especially since the WAC still doesn't have enough football members to survive. And if C-USA wants to take big market schools which have little to no support I say let em go. It will be a loss but these schools are all easily replaceable by WAC schools.

2. Throughout C-USA's history they have always gone for the schools with big market sizes. So if history is a good judge I would expect them to go for big market teams again. FIU, FAU, and UNT are our big market schools. UNT is probably #1 on the list with that brand new stadium of theirs. Middle Tennesee might be an option as well.

3. C-USA would be crazy not to have us in the conversation. I am completely biased here but I feel that out of all the schools in the Sun Belt we have the most potential for growth. This football season proves it as does many other basketball and baseball seasons. If we were in C-USA we would probably be attendance leaders or close to it in these three sports. Of course our downside is our small budget and less than adequate facilities in baseball and football. But if we can prove that we will be renovating these soon and that our budget will increase we will get a good hard look from C-USA. No Sun Belt school has as much fan support as we do. Period.

4. As far as UL is concerned, if we show that we can sustain this football momentum we will absolutely be invited into C-USA. It wouldn't be a question of if but a question of when. They simply won't be able to pass up a school consistently ranked in the 60's with 30,000 people showing up every game. And while we aren't a "big" market 450,000 people isn't a small one either. But that's IF we can sustain this for a few more seasons.

5. La Tech won't get so much as a sniff from C-USA and that makes me really happy.

Patience will be the key to anything the Cajuns do. The Sun Belt is catching up to Conference USA in football, we are even with them in basketball, ahead of them in baseball and, because of our softball team, only slightly behind them in softball. Besides, I'll believe these schools are going to the Big East when they play their first game for them.
    The Sun Belt is not going anywhere. With a new commissioner coming in, one who, hopefully, will be smarter than Waters about realignment, will take the strengths of this conference, combine them with the strengths of another conference, and make it better for everyone. Or just keep things as they are and watch the Belt get stronger each year. Realistically, Conference USA is not a benefit for anyone in the Belt right now and, soon, the Belt might be a better option for some in CUSA.

Blog Entries

Ruston is a metropolis. Takes a good 5 minutes to get across town

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    Ruston is a metropolis. Takes a good 5 minutes to get across town
    Did you catch a red light?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast