Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30

Thread: University of Louisiana Horse Farm 1918 ... Lafayette Central Park

Default Re: Horse Farm

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Especially when Lafayette has so many infrastructure needs. I'm okay with green space, just not at a cost of valuable dollars that are needed for a city that is 25 years behind in infrastructure.
    Private dollars. I do not believe any tax dollars are being spent towards that $32 million.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Holy crap...screw the kids...I wanna get up in that treehouse thing.
    I'm with you. If only they would allow for private paintball parties... maybe that's a good fundraising idea?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    Private dollars. I do not believe any tax dollars are being spent towards that $32 million.
    Slappy, anytime the city has an opportunity to bring in more funds into the coffer without taxing, you do so. Practically giving away property below market value just means funds for city expenses will have to be raised somewhere else, eventually costing city residence. Again, the green space is great but lets not pretend that the movement began as a way to protect a wealthy neighborhood from commercial encroachment. Let's see how many people will care about protecting other neighborhoods when road projects or commercial development happens in Lafayette.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Slappy, anytime the city has an opportunity to bring in more funds into the coffer without taxing, you do so. Practically giving away property below market value just means funds for city expenses will have to be raised somewhere else, eventually costing city residence. Again, the green space is great but lets not pretend that the movement began as a way to protect a wealthy neighborhood from commercial encroachment. Let's see how many people will care about protecting other neighborhoods when road projects or commercial development happens in Lafayette.
    Right on, T! While there was an environmentalist movement to stop the land from commercial usage, it was the wealthy folks who live near by that financed and drummed up the political opposition. While I have no problems with another park, even though Lafayette can't even keep up with it's existing parks. UL should have been fairly compensated for the swap which I don't believe happened.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by BraveCajun View Post
    Right on, T! While there was an environmentalist movement to stop the land from commercial usage, it was the wealthy folks who live near by that financed and drummed up the political opposition. While I have no problems with another park, even though Lafayette can't even keep up with it's existing parks. UL should have been fairly compensated for the swap which I don't believe happened.

-I had posted this a while back

I don't think that the swap is over---now please don't hold me to this but I think that the Lourdes property and the new "Fun District" by the UL athletic campus and the LITE center will somehow greatly benefit UL---Love the way that Durel has future thoughts of the Med School and love what he has already done in helping to Pave the athletic campus---I sure hope that compensation is part of the future!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BraveCajun View Post
    This isn't "another" park for Lafayette to keep up. All maintenance will be funded by the NP in charged with doing so which will have an operating budget designated through a privately funded endowment. In 5 years everyone will be enjoying the spoils and saying "I always said this was a great idea."

7. Default Horse Farm 'fly-over' is worth seeing

Visualize Lafayette's next great thing from 3,000 feet.

The rest of the story

8. Default Re: SaveTheHorseFarm.com

Someone has earned the naming rights to the former UL horse farm.

Lafayette Central Park Inc., the non-profit group turning the farm into a world-class public park, has attracted a major gift in exchange for the ability to name the new park, Chairman Lenny Lemoine said Tuesday during a meeting of the Lafayette Public Trust Financing Authority.

Blog Entries

Default Re: University of Louisiana Horse Farm 1918 ... Lafayette Central Park

This is what a fundraiser can do for you.

They are getting 3 times the money UL received for the land giveaway.

Default Re: University of Louisiana Horse Farm 1918 ... Lafayette Central Park

Too bad we could not get naming rights for Cajun Field!

Hopefully, the city will not "commercialized" the park ... "$30 for a hot dog, popcorn, and coke."

Either the person donating has a very big ego or a business wants some advertising.

Too early to tell what will happen, but this remains the single worst real estate transaction in the history of the university.

Page 30 of 30 FirstFirst ... 20 26 27 28 29 30