_ _ _ _

Thread: Value of an Athletic Program

Ragin' Cajuns Value of an Athletic Program

The athletic program of Tulane University is so valuable that the university is relocating teams to practice at 5 different universities in two states. Unless Tulane is a rare instance, not many universities "turn a profit" in the athletic department, yet the entire fall sports industry can be housed off campus, out-of-state with the possibility of playing games either away or "home".

This is the value of a marketing program that says keep the Tulane Green Wave most visible sign of life vibrant--the Athletic program.

It seems that Tulane would rather loose more money than cancelled the entire season, except for volleyball, by an agreement with other schools and wild arrangements.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Value of an Athletic Program

Quote Originally Posted by gorcajun
    This is the value of a marketing program that says keep the Tulane Green Wave most visible sign of life vibrant--the Athletic program.
    I agree 100%

You can't put a price tag on the advertising value that an athletic program brings a university.

One thing this does expose though. It was pure posturing a year ago when Tulane threatened to shut down football. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine
    I agree 100%

You can't put a price tag on the advertising value that an athletic program brings a university.

One thing this does expose though. It was pure posturing a year ago when Tulane threatened to shut down football. LOL
    Yep, the pants have dropped on that one.

Moving the Golf Team out-of-state. Let's take a look at what that means.

Relocation of approximately 20 players and 2 coaches. Housing for these players and coaches. Certainly no home tournaments. Tulane University and its athletic department can do this with a sport (M & W) that has very little revenue stream. No one has season tickets to the Tulane Golf Schedule. Yet, they find a way to keep it all together and play even under the most dire circumstances.

This university does not have a storied athletic program. BTW, Tulane ranks 173 in the statistics of the 2004-05 PENTATHLELAM.

GO FIGURE!!!!!!

Blog Entries

Very good point! I couldn't have said it better.

I agree 100%

Tulane folks tell me Cowen was shuttin' it down. It wasn't a case of posturing at all.

The vaule of its sports program to exposing FAU to the nation was discussed at length by the announcers during last night's game. Included was an interview at halftime with new basketball coach Matt Doherty who explained why he chose to go to FAU. Of course as we know they already had Howard Schnellenberger as head football coach. The FAU administration clearly "gets it".

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by DestinCajun
    The vaule of its sports program to exposing FAU to the nation was discussed at length by the announcers during last night's game. Included was an interview at halftime with new basketball coach Matt Doherty who explained why he chose to go to FAU. Of course as we know they already had Howard Schnellenberger as head football coach. The FAU administration clearly "gets it".
    Doherty? Was that the Coach at Baylor during the scandal involving the murder of a player (Dotson?) by a team mate? If not, where did Doherty come from? I don't follow basketball outside of UL but that name is familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58
    Doherty? Was that the Coach at Baylor during the scandal involving the murder of a player (Dotson?) by a team mate? If not, where did Doherty come from? I don't follow basketball outside of UL but that name is familiar.
    I think was the coach at North Carolina. If I'm not mistaken, he also played there.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4ever
    I think was the coach at North Carolina. If I'm not mistaken, he also played there.
    You are corect.

You are corect.
    He kind of bombed out at UNC; but had done a very good job at Notre Dame before taking the UNC job. I think its a good hire for FAU.

Blog Entries

Tulane folks tell me Cowen was shuttin' it down. It wasn't a case of posturing at all.
    They could be right, but I think that is exactly to whom his posturing was directed at. If they bought it, his posturing was successful.

I agree with his stance this year as opposed to last when he was saying athletics was dispensable. This year he is showing how valuable an athletic program really is, even one that makes no money.

jmo

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Value of an Athletic Program

Do you think that the "Greenwave Bot" team has found an intact home at another university? Did the debate squad all escape New Orleans in a 15-passenger van? Which campus organization commandered the Greenwave bus?

There is no need to answer any of the questions, but the fact remains that for the next year, win or lose, references to Tulane, Greenwave, the displaced university in New Orleans because of Hurricane Katrina, will be voiced on ESPN, sportstalk radio, and other media outlets.

Oh, yes, don't forget about UNO, the basketball team that draws about 1,000 fans at the Lakefront Arena will be playing in Tyler, TX. UT-Tyler will be their home for next season.

Turbine, could you give a prize to the winner of "Guess the Butts in Tyler" contest?

UNO is under the same budgetary constraints or restraints (sorry) as this local institution. It is a GIT-R-DONE attitude.

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4ever
    Thanks. I knew the name was familiar but had the circumstances mixed up.

tulane has alot of money where some schools do not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58
    The coach at Baylor during that time was Dave Bliss, who's probably working as dogcatcher somewhere.

Actually, Dave Bliss will be coaching a CBA league (or some such semi-pro, minor league team).

Quote Originally Posted by cajunvbmom
    Actually, Dave Bliss will be coaching a CBA league (or some such semi-pro, minor league team).
    I guess everyone deserves a chance at redemption.