Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Naughty 'Faster Than Light' Neutrinos a Reality?

  1. #1

    Default Naughty 'Faster Than Light' Neutrinos a Reality?

    Those wacky neutrinos are at it again, mystifying physicists by refusing to behave like they're supposed to.

    x -->


  2. #2

    Default Do neutrinos move faster than the speed of light?

    Can particles travel faster than the speed of light? Most physicists would say an emphatic "no", invoking Einstein's special theory of relativity, which forbids superluminal travel. But now physicists working on the OPERA experiment in Italy may have found tantalizing evidence that neutrinos can exceed the speed of light.

    The OPERA team fires muon neutrinos from the Super Proton Synchrotron at CERN in Geneva a distance of 730 km under the Alps to a detector in Gran Sasso, Italy. The team studied more than 15,000 neutrino events and found that they indicate that the neutrinos travel at a velocity 20 parts per million above the speed of light.

    The rest of the story

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    839

    Default Re: Do neutrinos move faster than the speed of light?

    Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    Can particles travel faster than the speed of light? Most physicists would say an emphatic "no", invoking Einstein's special theory of relativity, which forbids superluminal travel. But now physicists working on the OPERA experiment in Italy may have found tantalizing evidence that neutrinos can exceed the speed of light.

    The OPERA team fires muon neutrinos from the Super Proton Synchrotron at CERN in Geneva a distance of 730 km under the Alps to a detector in Gran Sasso, Italy. The team studied more than 15,000 neutrino events and found that they indicate that the neutrinos travel at a velocity 20 parts per million above the speed of light.

    The rest of the story
    I've been telling my wife this for years, but she always slaps me....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    839

    Default Re: Do neutrinos move faster than the speed of light?

    Seriously though, pretty cool story.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,018

    Default Re: Do neutrinos move faster than the speed of light?

    I don't know who they would ever be able to figure this out due to Hiesenberg's Uncertainty Principle...


  6. #6
    Zeebart21's Avatar
    Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, La.
    Posts
    17,653

    Default Re: Do neutrinos move faster than the speed of light?

    Dont have the intelligence to read scientific studies, arguments, et al....All's I know is, wasn't Nuetrino a character on Welcome Back Kotter.....?

    Z


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    3,905

    Default Re: Do neutrinos move faster than the speed of light?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    Dont have the intelligence to read scientific studies, arguments, et al....All's I know is, wasn't Nuetrino a character on Welcome Back Kotter.....?

    Z
    Yeah, I think he was the cool kid! LOL

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    18,012
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Do neutrinos move faster than the speed of light?

    Sports explains everything.

    When all is said and done they will find that light and neutrinos travel at the exact same speed.

    The variance being, light gives neutrinos a slight head start (in this case a 60 nanosecond head start) and in appreciation the neutrinos act as offensive lineman for the light.

    They will find that neutrinos are willing to go through brick walls for their light.

    Stay tuned


  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    712

    Default Re: Do neutrinos move faster than the speed of light?

    As George "Kingfish" Stevens on Amos 'n Andy once said, "The atom busts into neutrons, protons, fig newtons & morons." And that explains it.


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    18,012
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Do neutrinos move faster than the speed of light?

    Quote Originally Posted by gorcajun View Post
    As George "Kingfish" Stevens on Amos 'n Andy once said, "The atom busts into neutrons, protons, fig newtons & morons." And that explains it.
    And there are mo morons than anything in the universe. Only thing is they carry no weight and get old real quick and think they are the brightest thing around. Whereas neutrons and newtons stay young a long time while protons and newtons are heavy little suckers.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    943

    Default Re: Do neutrinos move faster than the speed of light?

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Sports explains everything.

    When all is said and done they will find that light and neutrinos travel at the exact same speed.

    The variance being, light gives neutrinos a slight head start (in this case a 60 nanosecond head start) and in appreciation the neutrinos act as offensive lineman for the light.

    They will find that neutrinos are willing to go through brick walls for their light.

    Stay tuned
    Was that hand timed? I heard that Neutrino kid signed with a mid-major and his time dropped 80 nanoseconds. His rating went from 4 neutron stars to 1 white dwarf!

  12. Default FTL Neutrino Research 'Almost Certainly Wrong'

    As scientists counter the claim that neutrinos can travel faster than the speed of light, the discussion is becoming less about the physics and more about how physics is presented to the public.

    x -->


  13. Default Cajun culture centerstage

    Although many of the people in attendance wanted to watch the UL Ragin' Cajuns and/or the LSU Tigers' football games, they made sure they were in attendance for the festival honoring their culture. "We've come to the Festivals Acadiens every ...


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    18,012
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Cajun culture centerstage

    Interesting explanation.

    What was supposed to be the undoing of the Theory of Relativity is explained by the theory of Relativity.
    http://dvice.com/archives/2011/10/speedy-neutrino.php


  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    712

    Ragin' Cajuns Re: Cajun culture centerstage

    Those neutrinos that aren't behaving right have never been 6-1. They don't have to act like they've been there before.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •