Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Conference realignment and the Sun Belt

Default Conference realignment and the Sun Belt

With all the talk about A&M leaving the Big 12 and Oklahoma threatening to, what kind of effect does it have on us and the sun Belt? is the Big 12 gonna try to survive by taking C-USA teams and then C-USA take Sun Belt teams? I'm not hearing much talk about it affecting us but I don't see how it wouldn't if the Big 12 loses Oklahoma and possibly dies. Do you think this could be a good thing for us or a bad thing?

Default Re: Conference realignment and the Sun Belt

It amazes me that schools in the non-BCS conferences are waiting for something to happen that will affect them (us). I think many of you are forgetting that this is all about the money for the BCS schools and they are not looking to add anybody to the money pie. It will be easier to shrink the pool (can you say "goodbye" Baylor, Iowa State?) than to pick up newcomers (BYU, Boise State). Also, you need to keep in mind that university presidents are among the most conservative people there are. They will not make a move unless they have a GUARANTEE that the money coming in is worth the trouble of making the move.

It is highly unlikely that any movement going on with BCS schools will affect the Sun Belt or UL in any way. It will take movement from schools in the other non-BCS conferences, primarily CUSA, before the Cajuns are affected.

Once the dominos start to fall, there's no telling who all will be affected. A scenario that could definitely affect the Cajuns is if the Big 12 leftovers raid the MWC and CUSA for replacement schools. CUSA could lose UH and SMU to the Big 12, as well as see UTEP move to the MWC. If CUSA ends up losing three western division schools, I believe UL would be one of the schools considered as a possible replacement. The competition would be UNT, UTSA, La Tech, and Texas State, probably in that order.

CajunRed is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

There will probably be very few Big12 leftovers...which means they may not even be able to retain the Big12's prior auto-qualifier status. And I'm not necessarily talking football, but baseball, softball, basketball.

CajunT or whoever...thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    There will probably be very few Big12 leftovers...which means they may not even be able to retain the Big12's prior auto-qualifier status. And I'm not necessarily talking football, but baseball, softball, basketball.
    I also feel as though the Big 12 "could" cease to exist. Think about some of the scenarios being floated. aTm - gone to the SEC. Mizzou - maybe SEC, maybe Big East. Doubt the Big 10 picks them, or that would already have been done. OU, OSU, UT and Tx Tech to the PAC. KU, KSU, and maybe Mizzou to the Big East. That leaves ISU and Baylor looking for homes. Hardly enough to keep the Big 12 intact. I think ISU could go to the MWC, as could Baylor. Baylor might even be considered for CUSA; but don't think that Houston, SMU and Rice wouldn't make them sweat some after Baylor latched on to coat tails and political powers to get into the Big 12 in the first place; leaving those 3 behind. Definitely fun to watch unfold! :<)

Blog Entries

Baylor is thinking the same.

I believe when all is said and done, the only movement will be A&M to the SEC and an eastern school. Right now West Virginia appears to be the frontrunner there. If that happens, the Big 12 will add BYU. No brainer.

The interesting thing will be if the Big East does nothing, thereby staying at eight, adds one school (Temple and the service academies will be contacted for their interest, or perhaps a CUSA school (UCF?)...or if the Big East says we're tired of living on the edge and adds two or four schools (doubtful).

I think the Big 12 stays intact. I think one CUSA school to the Big East.

Then it just becomes who CUSA adds. Regardless of what you hear out of Ruston, I think WKU is a prime candidate, although if UCF goes to the Big East, CUSA may want to keep a Florida presence by adding FIU or FAU.

that's the only way the belt gets affected.

Now, if the four teams bolt to the PAC, you have a scenario that doesn't affect us at all. Unless we add some WAC schools.

If the PAC adds four, the Big 12 is done. The Big East takes Mizzou, the two Kansas schools and Baylor to go to 12, with WVU going to the SEC.

That leaves Iowa State, who gets gobbled up by the Mountain West.

the MWC would be at eleven and would add Utah State from the WAC, which would put the WAC in jeopardy.

Then the Sun Belt can sit still or cherry pick two WAC schools and put them out of their misery.

There is sooooooo much mis-information out there right now! Things are very quiet on the aTm and SEC fronts (very tight-lipped). Certainly some thoughts that UT is the wizard behind the curtain WRT Baylor. I really think Baylor folks believe that if the Big 12 is done, so too are they WRT being in an AQ conference. Some thoughts that this is a way to give OU time to re-think the whole PAC deal too. Moving without UT would be difficult, and could affect their recruiting in Texas. Also hearing that if OU (in particular) agrees to stand pat in the Big 12, that all the schools will let aTm go without issues. The one benefit in all this (WRT remaining Big 12 teams) is that UT may be seeing the negative affects of their money grab; realizing that a more equitable sharing of funds is better for the long-term, and that may also be what is needed to get a quality replacement team (BYU for example) for aTm. Next couple of days will be interesting.

Like many of you, I see very little domino effect on the Belt, or UL.

Just because I can, here is a regional conference that I've thought of for a while. Its 16 teams, and would make the conference a power like the current Mountain West. Now, I know this is NEVER going to happen, but its a dream of mine to have a strong, regional conference that can afford its own travel costs and have natural rivals. You get easy travel partners and the revenue sharing could be equal, with a big television deal for a 16 team conference on fox/espn/cbs/etc. Also, you could have Shreeveport be the center for championships, since its geographically in the middle and has all venues needed for football, baseball, basketball, softball, etc. Plus everything, even the UAB to UNM trip, is within a single plane ride to each other. Finally, a conference network (ie. BigTen Network) could be structured for the region through Cox/DirecTV/etc. Thoughts?

East Division
    University of Alabama-Birmingham
    Troy University
    University of Southern Mississippi
    Tulane University
    University of Louisiana-Monroe
    University of Louisiana
    Louisiana Tech University
    Arkansas State University

West Division
    Tulsa University
    University of North Texas
    Southern Methodist Univesity
    University of Houston
    Rice University
    University of Texas-El Paso
    New Mexico State Univesity
    Univesity of New Mexico

That's a nice dream. Personally I'd take South Alabama over Troy or UAB; but I understand the perception of having a more established football program - - even if UAB has struggled.

Part of my post didn't make it! I'd bet the UNT faithful would love that western alignment! :<)

I think USA would be a nice fit, over Troy, but they are a charter member of the SBC; I really don't see them ever leaving.

UTEP, NMSU, UNM aside, UNT would be within 4 hours of all their division schools. I think they'd like being shown in the OK and NM markets for recruiting, and would get bigger exposure in the Houston area.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun_in_NM View Post
    UTEP, NMSU, UNM aside, UNT would be within 4 hours of all their division schools. I think they'd like being shown in the OK and NM markets for recruiting, and would get bigger exposure in the Houston area.
    Actually i was agreeing with you!
    NMSU is a long-time rival, and they'd love to be with other Texas FBS programs.

I know with South AL joinging next year that'll take us to 11. Any chance we add a 12th and have a conference championship game? I think that'd help the Sunbelt get more respect/ recognition.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Conference realignment and the Sun Belt

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Once the dominos start to fall, there's no telling who all will be affected. A scenario that could definitely affect the Cajuns is if the Big 12 leftovers raid the MWC and CUSA for replacement schools. CUSA could lose UH and SMU to the Big 12, as well as see UTEP move to the MWC. If CUSA ends up losing three western division schools, I believe UL would be one of the schools considered as a possible replacement. The competition would be UNT, UTSA, La Tech, and Texas State, probably in that order.
    I understand about TV markets and all, but I cannot see CUSA going after ANY (former)1-AA program for any reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun_in_NM View Post
    Just because I can, here is a regional conference that I've thought of for a while. Its 16 teams, and would make the conference a power like the current Mountain West. Now, I know this is NEVER going to happen, but its a dream of mine to have a strong, regional conference that can afford its own travel costs and have natural rivals. You get easy travel partners and the revenue sharing could be equal, with a big television deal for a 16 team conference on fox/espn/cbs/etc. Also, you could have Shreeveport be the center for championships, since its geographically in the middle and has all venues needed for football, baseball, basketball, softball, etc. Plus everything, even the UAB to UNM trip, is within a single plane ride to each other. Finally, a conference network (ie. BigTen Network) could be structured for the region through Cox/DirecTV/etc. Thoughts?

East Division
    University of Alabama-Birmingham
    Troy University
    University of Southern Mississippi
    Tulane University
    University of Louisiana-Monroe
    University of Louisiana
    Louisiana Tech University
    Arkansas State University

West Division
    Tulsa University
    University of North Texas
    Southern Methodist Univesity
    University of Houston
    Rice University
    University of Texas-El Paso
    New Mexico State Univesity
    Univesity of New Mexico
    The first thing that comes to mind is that attendance would get better with closer road conference games. The other thing is that the ex-Southwest Conference schools and Tulane would have an ego problem with this lineup.

USA only gets us to 10.

Quote Originally Posted by bigearl View Post
    I know with South AL joinging next year that'll take us to 11. Any chance we add a 12th and have a conference championship game? I think that'd help the Sunbelt get more respect/ recognition.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    I understand about TV markets and all, but I cannot see CUSA going after ANY (former)1-AA program for any reason.
    Why not ?? They have former 1 -AA memebers currently and have had them in the past ...

Quote Originally Posted by mr. cajun View Post
    Why not ?? They have former 1 -AA memebers currently and have had them in the past ...
    Yeah, but those teams had already established themselves as 1-A teams. TSU is just about to move up and UTSA just started their program!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast