_ _ _ _

Thread: I have been saying this all along about the WAC

Ragin' Cajuns I have been saying this all along about the WAC

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/c...#ixzz1TZME85iw

Bowl games and TV revenue are going to Hell in the WAC!!!

Default Re: I have been saying this all along about the WAC

WAC = Big West II: Electric Boogaloo

Ragin' Cajuns Re: I have been saying this all along about the WAC

As the WAC slowly clawed its way from the brink, and Benson restocked the league's membership University of Denver, Seattle University and most recently Texas-Arlington were also added as non-football members a West Coast reporter jokingly branded the embattled commissioner as a "meatball surgeon."
    Hawkeye Pierce would've of been proud of Benson's effort, but, unfortunately, he's going to watch this patient slowly bleed out on the table.

This could be a perfect vehicle for ULM. They'd get to play Tech home and home in all sports.

ULM, Tech, and West Monroe could all be equal rivals in the new WAC.......That would really cut the travel budget.

CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    ULM, Tech, and West Monroe could all be equal rivals in the new WAC.......That would really cut the travel budget.
    That would also help West Monroe's recruiting!

Interesting to note that their televised ball games this year is down to 5. With the big three teams leaving after this year, I will bet it is down further, especially with some former FCS teams entering. Also, the bowl tie-ins are down to 1 which to me, obviously puts the WAC way behind the SBC and MAC in terms of prestige. If your conference is proud to call itself a survivor and a fighter and that's its calling card, you are in trouble. I'd rather have the SBC who relies upon progression, stability and balance. This league is only doing one thing and that is going up. TV contracts have been increased with more exposure, Bowl tie-ins are increasing with at least 2 teams making bowls for the last several years. Schools are either building new stadiums or expanding and renovating existing ones which will help in recruiting and fan participation. I hope La Tech is stifled more and more by being in the WAC and has no where to go.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Interesting to note that their televised ball games this year is down to 5. With the big three teams leaving after this year, I will bet it is down further, especially with some former FCS teams entering. Also, the bowl tie-ins are down to 1 which to me, obviously puts the WAC way behind the SBC and MAC in terms of prestige. If your conference is proud to call itself a survivor and a fighter and that's its calling card, you are in trouble. I'd rather have the SBC who relies upon progression, stability and balance. This league is only doing one thing and that is going up. TV contracts have been increased with more exposure, Bowl tie-ins are increasing with at least 2 teams making bowls for the last several years. Schools are either building new stadiums or expanding and renovating existing ones which will help in recruiting and fan participation. I hope La Tech is stifled more and more by being in the WAC and has no where to go.
    We have a winner!!!

Quote Originally Posted by California Cajun View Post
    This could be a perfect vehicle for ULM. They'd get to play Tech home and home in all sports.
    That's actually a very good idea... in the long run it could help ULM as they need a rival that gets their supporters fired up.

But in the short run, they'd take a hit on revenues.

And as soon as they left, Tech would try to move into the 'Belt.

I firmly believe our uptick in recruiting LA kids is due to a slide in the WAC. No longer can Tech brag about the WAC and make fun of the SBC on the recruiting trails. Even last year we did not have a good success ratio going head to head against Tech for talent. With the implosion of the WAC I expect to win more battles than we lose going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I firmly believe our uptick in recruiting LA kids is due to a slide in the WAC. No longer can Tech brag about the WAC and make fun of the SBC on the recruiting trails. Even last year we did not have a good success ratio going head to head against Tech for talent. With the implosion of the WAC I expect to win more battles than we lose going forward.
    Please don't give Tech or the WAC the credit for our recruiting being up. Our recruiting is up because Hud is a recruiting machine. Nothing against Bustle but I hope you can see the difference!!!!

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Please don't give Tech or the WAC the credit for our recruiting being up. Our recruiting is up because Hud is a recruiting machine. Nothing against Bustle but I hope you can see the difference!!!!
    I have to agree with you. None of the Mississippi and Alabama connections, nor any other recruits we signed, had a connection to the WAC or Tech. I do, however, believe Metry is correct in the future. Bustle lost some south Louisiana recruits to Tech. The way Tech banged their football drum, and we didn't match or exceed it, that hurt us.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

All true. When Tech first learned of Boise State leaving, they dismissed it. When they learned of the others leaving... they spun it into "Tech will now be at the top of that stack". They would not agree that the "stack" just slumped to the ground. I don't mean that they simply argued about it... they believed it. When the discussion of somehow becoming an SBC member in some future arrangement came up, they (their big boosters) just about passed out. They are so blinded by ULM that they'd rather vaporize in thin air than mention "going backwards" to the SBC.

The WAC is in a world of hurt... no matter how they spin it. Tech, and some of the remaining WAC members, actually thought the television and bowl contracts were going to stay in place. How ignorant is that? It is going to erode further. They are going to have some serious recruiting issues. They don't believe it, but it is going to happen.

The best scenario... and it seems harsh to ULM... for Tech and the SBC... would be to have Tech take ULM's conference membership. I seriously wish ULM would return to the FCS.... or go to the WAC... same thing.

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I have to agree with you. None of the Mississippi and Alabama connections, nor any other recruits we signed, had a connection to the WAC or Tech. I do, however, believe Metry is correct in the future. Bustle lost some south Louisiana recruits to Tech. The way Tech banged their football drum, and we didn't match or exceed it, that hurt us.
    I don't think MetryCajun was referring to the 2011 class with his comments. I believe he was referring to the commitments we have for the class of 2012 from the state of Louisiana. Lee Bercheen says a few of these guys have talent such that they could play in the SEC. For us to take the next step, we have to
    do well on the field. It could not be much more of a difficult challenge to start this quest next weekend asthe OSU Cowboys may score fifty on a few folks this year. Looking past that game, the Kent State game would be a huge win were we able to pull it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    We will all find out soon enough.