_ _ _ _
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: I have been saying this all along about the WAC

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    458

    Ragin' Cajuns I have been saying this all along about the WAC

    http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/c...#ixzz1TZME85iw

    Bowl games and TV revenue are going to Hell in the WAC!!!


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,267

    Default Re: I have been saying this all along about the WAC

    WAC = Big West II: Electric Boogaloo


  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Metairie, LA.
    Posts
    4,734

    Ragin' Cajuns Re: I have been saying this all along about the WAC

    As the WAC slowly clawed its way from the brink, and Benson restocked the league's membership University of Denver, Seattle University and most recently Texas-Arlington were also added as non-football members a West Coast reporter jokingly branded the embattled commissioner as a "meatball surgeon."
    Hawkeye Pierce would've of been proud of Benson's effort, but, unfortunately, he's going to watch this patient slowly bleed out on the table.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    2,366

    Default Re: I have been saying this all along about the WAC

    This could be a perfect vehicle for ULM. They'd get to play Tech home and home in all sports.


  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,819

    Default Re: I have been saying this all along about the WAC

    ULM, Tech, and West Monroe could all be equal rivals in the new WAC.......That would really cut the travel budget.


  6. #6
    CajunRed's Avatar
    CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,301

    Default Re: I have been saying this all along about the WAC

    Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    ULM, Tech, and West Monroe could all be equal rivals in the new WAC.......That would really cut the travel budget.
    That would also help West Monroe's recruiting!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    9,727

    Default Re: I have been saying this all along about the WAC

    Interesting to note that their televised ball games this year is down to 5. With the big three teams leaving after this year, I will bet it is down further, especially with some former FCS teams entering. Also, the bowl tie-ins are down to 1 which to me, obviously puts the WAC way behind the SBC and MAC in terms of prestige. If your conference is proud to call itself a survivor and a fighter and that's its calling card, you are in trouble. I'd rather have the SBC who relies upon progression, stability and balance. This league is only doing one thing and that is going up. TV contracts have been increased with more exposure, Bowl tie-ins are increasing with at least 2 teams making bowls for the last several years. Schools are either building new stadiums or expanding and renovating existing ones which will help in recruiting and fan participation. I hope La Tech is stifled more and more by being in the WAC and has no where to go.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Houston Texas
    Posts
    458

    Ragin' Cajuns Re: I have been saying this all along about the WAC

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Interesting to note that their televised ball games this year is down to 5. With the big three teams leaving after this year, I will bet it is down further, especially with some former FCS teams entering. Also, the bowl tie-ins are down to 1 which to me, obviously puts the WAC way behind the SBC and MAC in terms of prestige. If your conference is proud to call itself a survivor and a fighter and that's its calling card, you are in trouble. I'd rather have the SBC who relies upon progression, stability and balance. This league is only doing one thing and that is going up. TV contracts have been increased with more exposure, Bowl tie-ins are increasing with at least 2 teams making bowls for the last several years. Schools are either building new stadiums or expanding and renovating existing ones which will help in recruiting and fan participation. I hope La Tech is stifled more and more by being in the WAC and has no where to go.
    We have a winner!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    529

    Default Re: I have been saying this all along about the WAC

    Quote Originally Posted by California Cajun View Post
    This could be a perfect vehicle for ULM. They'd get to play Tech home and home in all sports.
    That's actually a very good idea... in the long run it could help ULM as they need a rival that gets their supporters fired up.

    But in the short run, they'd take a hit on revenues.

    And as soon as they left, Tech would try to move into the 'Belt.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Metairie,LA
    Posts
    4,211

    Default Re: I have been saying this all along about the WAC

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Interesting to note that their televised ball games this year is down to 5. With the big three teams leaving after this year, I will bet it is down further, especially with some former FCS teams entering. Also, the bowl tie-ins are down to 1 which to me, obviously puts the WAC way behind the SBC and MAC in terms of prestige. If your conference is proud to call itself a survivor and a fighter and that's its calling card, you are in trouble. I'd rather have the SBC who relies upon progression, stability and balance. This league is only doing one thing and that is going up. TV contracts have been increased with more exposure, Bowl tie-ins are increasing with at least 2 teams making bowls for the last several years. Schools are either building new stadiums or expanding and renovating existing ones which will help in recruiting and fan participation. I hope La Tech is stifled more and more by being in the WAC and has no where to go.
    I firmly believe our uptick in recruiting LA kids is due to a slide in the WAC. No longer can Tech brag about the WAC and make fun of the SBC on the recruiting trails. Even last year we did not have a good success ratio going head to head against Tech for talent. With the implosion of the WAC I expect to win more battles than we lose going forward.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    97

    Default Re: I have been saying this all along about the WAC

    Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I firmly believe our uptick in recruiting LA kids is due to a slide in the WAC. No longer can Tech brag about the WAC and make fun of the SBC on the recruiting trails. Even last year we did not have a good success ratio going head to head against Tech for talent. With the implosion of the WAC I expect to win more battles than we lose going forward.
    Please don't give Tech or the WAC the credit for our recruiting being up. Our recruiting is up because Hud is a recruiting machine. Nothing against Bustle but I hope you can see the difference!!!!

  12. #12
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,138
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: I have been saying this all along about the WAC

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Please don't give Tech or the WAC the credit for our recruiting being up. Our recruiting is up because Hud is a recruiting machine. Nothing against Bustle but I hope you can see the difference!!!!
    I have to agree with you. None of the Mississippi and Alabama connections, nor any other recruits we signed, had a connection to the WAC or Tech. I do, however, believe Metry is correct in the future. Bustle lost some south Louisiana recruits to Tech. The way Tech banged their football drum, and we didn't match or exceed it, that hurt us.

  13. #13
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    16,138
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: I have been saying this all along about the WAC

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Interesting to note that their televised ball games this year is down to 5. With the big three teams leaving after this year, I will bet it is down further, especially with some former FCS teams entering. Also, the bowl tie-ins are down to 1 which to me, obviously puts the WAC way behind the SBC and MAC in terms of prestige. If your conference is proud to call itself a survivor and a fighter and that's its calling card, you are in trouble. I'd rather have the SBC who relies upon progression, stability and balance. This league is only doing one thing and that is going up. TV contracts have been increased with more exposure, Bowl tie-ins are increasing with at least 2 teams making bowls for the last several years. Schools are either building new stadiums or expanding and renovating existing ones which will help in recruiting and fan participation. I hope La Tech is stifled more and more by being in the WAC and has no where to go.
    All true. When Tech first learned of Boise State leaving, they dismissed it. When they learned of the others leaving... they spun it into "Tech will now be at the top of that stack". They would not agree that the "stack" just slumped to the ground. I don't mean that they simply argued about it... they believed it. When the discussion of somehow becoming an SBC member in some future arrangement came up, they (their big boosters) just about passed out. They are so blinded by ULM that they'd rather vaporize in thin air than mention "going backwards" to the SBC.

    The WAC is in a world of hurt... no matter how they spin it. Tech, and some of the remaining WAC members, actually thought the television and bowl contracts were going to stay in place. How ignorant is that? It is going to erode further. They are going to have some serious recruiting issues. They don't believe it, but it is going to happen.

    The best scenario... and it seems harsh to ULM... for Tech and the SBC... would be to have Tech take ULM's conference membership. I seriously wish ULM would return to the FCS.... or go to the WAC... same thing.

  14. #14
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    8,006

    Default Re: I have been saying this all along about the WAC

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I have to agree with you. None of the Mississippi and Alabama connections, nor any other recruits we signed, had a connection to the WAC or Tech. I do, however, believe Metry is correct in the future. Bustle lost some south Louisiana recruits to Tech. The way Tech banged their football drum, and we didn't match or exceed it, that hurt us.
    I don't think MetryCajun was referring to the 2011 class with his comments. I believe he was referring to the commitments we have for the class of 2012 from the state of Louisiana. Lee Bercheen says a few of these guys have talent such that they could play in the SEC. For us to take the next step, we have to
    do well on the field. It could not be much more of a difficult challenge to start this quest next weekend asthe OSU Cowboys may score fifty on a few folks this year. Looking past that game, the Kent State game would be a huge win were we able to pull it out.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Metairie, LA.
    Posts
    4,734

    Ragin' Cajuns Re: I have been saying this all along about the WAC

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Poppa View Post
    Please don't give Tech or the WAC the credit for our recruiting being up. Our recruiting is up because Hud is a recruiting machine. Nothing against Bustle but I hope you can see the difference!!!!
    We will all find out soon enough.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •