Blog Entries

Default Re: Gotta face the music....

Quote Originally Posted by CajunZ1 View Post
    _ This is true. It's a lose lose.

Solution: Coaches should never have kids that become D-1 athletes. _
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ben7198 View Post
    _ its just a little suspicious when justin gets shoulder tendinitis and hurts his groin and get promoted to the starting first baseman when there are other guys on the team who can play first, hit, and don't pitch. Justin is much needed as a Saturday guy on the mound. If that's not daddy ball then I don't know what is. _

Sounds like you got beat out by Jut or got cut by Tony -- or both.

If the son is good enough, there is nothing wrong with it. I personally would rather my son go somewhere else than where I was coaching to avoid these discussions. But I dont care about any of that. Robe needs to go because the program has been consistently losing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcobra View Post
    _ If the son is good enough, there is nothing wrong with it. I personally would rather my son go somewhere else than where I was coaching to avoid these discussions. But I dont care about any of that. Robe needs to go because the program has been consistently losing. _
    If we were ranked, and winning, no one would be talking about this. Robe is hands down our best Fielding first baseman, and he hasn't exactly been horrible at the plate. This discussion is so disconnected to the actual problems of this baseball team.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigcobra View Post
    _ If the son is good enough, there is nothing wrong with it. I personally would rather my son go somewhere else than where I was coaching to avoid these discussions. But I dont care about any of that. Robe needs to go because the program has been consistently losing. _
    But he is not going to be let go. He took us to the World Series back in 2000 and his son is on the team. Should we let Robe stay until his son finishes? If he didn't have a son on the team would we have let him go long ago? I don't know about you but I would feel strange cutting someones dad that is on the team. We seem to end up with a lot of father son combos. Perhaps that is a selling point for us?

Quote Originally Posted by billdog74 View Post
    _ Dont Forget about Jack and John Elway
    And
    Bob Hurley Sr. and Bobby _

Jack Elway coached Stanford after John graduated. John coached his son in high school, and his son no longer plays football. Bob Hurley coached his son in high school.

Not saying examples dont exist; just these two dont apply. Like I said already, I could care less who's on the team, I just want them to win. Im just tired of these apologists saying Robe doesnt make excuses and is committed to fixing the problems. Of course he's gonna say that. What else would he say? "Its the players fault, not mine." People, especially alumni, should have more loyalty to their team/school than to one person.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Freshman QB

I do not like the idea of a coach's son playing on his team. From what I can tell, it generally messes up the relationship between the coach and his players. Is it just a coincidence that Brandon's last year was his Dad's last year also? How about Brad and his Dad? If I was a coach I would want to coach my son too but I'm just not sure it is good for the team. Jmo

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Sunbelt Re: Freshman QB

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    I do not like the idea of a coach's son playing on his team. From what I can tell, it generally messes up the relationship between the coach and his players. Is it just a coincidence that Brandon's last year was his Dad's last year also? How about Brad and his Dad? If I was a coach I would want to coach my son too but I'm just not sure it is good for the team. Jmo
    I'm damned glad Brandon played for his dad. It was a good thing Jake had him to throw to.

Since this comes out of the blue, are you being critical of Hud's son and coach relationship. If so that is just foolish, the kid isn't on scholarship, and isn't in contention to start ever. I'm absolutely fine with that kid being on the team. Some mighty good basketball players have had their dads as coaches. So maybe your take is just about football quarterbacks and receivers.

Uhhhh, I think the baseball team that was ranked #1 nationally two years ago would disagree with your point.

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

From what I understand, Hud's son will be the holder for place kicks next year

Blog Entries

So it was just happened that Stokley, Bustle and a basketball coach, Evans I think, all left when their son did? Maybe so. But maybe not. I know I could be wrong but......

CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Sunbelt Re: Freshman QB

So it was just happened that Stokley, Bustle and a basketball coach, Evans I think, all left when their son did? Maybe so. But maybe not. I know I could be wrong but......
    Well I think you are wrong. None other than the Fossil admitted he kept Coach Stockely a year too long because he was considering Brandon. Now that public statement is just nutz.

Bustle got fired for nearly a decade of being bad to nearly good.

Jesse got a better job.

Hud's time here will have zero to do with his son. His son is not causing any kind of friction on the team. I'm not even sure what you are trying to say.

Blog Entries

Son-coached teams can be good but are rarely good for a program.

Robi is the exception not the rule.

Marlin's son is a senior.

Blog Entries

Its worse for "the program" when coach tries to make the kid a star.

UL Football Re: Freshman QB

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Son-coached teams can be good but are rarely good for a program.

Robi is the exception not the rule.
    Opinions with zero data. I'm guessing over the decades more good has happened with coaches and sons than bad for teams or programs. Everyone is guessing as well. There was zero problems with Brandon except the Fossils unwillingness to address a declining coach, so there is two I know of at UL.

HUDs son is a walk on that they are grooming to be a holder PATs and FG. He will never be in the mix for QB so it shouldn't cause any friction.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Opinions with zero data.
    Coaches not outlasting their sons career, are not good for 'the program' in my humble opinion.

UL Football Re: Freshman QB

Nelson losing had zero to do his son's participation. Jesse's son had nothing to do with anything, and he left Robert a stocked team. The fact that somethings happen at the same time does not mean there is any correlation. Bustle's son had zero to do with anything.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Nelson losing had zero to do his son's participation. Jesse's son had nothing to do with anything, and he left Robert a stocked team. The fact that somethings happen at the same time does not mean there is any correlation. Bustle's son had zero to do with anything. But go ahead argue to argue.
    It's just a theory. I said I could be wrong. You, on the other hand are making statements about certain players having, "zero to do with anything", if you cannot see the foolishness in a statement like that then it is you who is arguing for the sake of arguing. Every single person involved with any team has something to do with something. I understand that it could easily be debated as to how much his or her association affected the team but, zero affect, is not a reasonable statement. Even the water boy has some affect.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast