_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 81

Thread: Father-Son / Coach-Player relationships

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3

    Default Re: Father-Son / Coach-Player relationships

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ I'm thinking of a few examples there are more, if you know of any . . .

  2. Press & Pete Maravich at LSU
  3. Wally & Jon English at Tulane
  4. Jessie & Jared Evans at Louisiana
  5. Nelson & Brandon Stokley at Louisiana
  6. Nelson & David Schexnayder (Dissimilar but mentionable)

    I ask because just around the corner we may have
    Tony & Justin Robichaux; Baseball
    Rickey & Brad Bustle; Football

    Good, Bad or Irrelevant? I ask because it seems to be there is a relationship between the end of a career and coaching ones son. Even when successful there seems to be a burnout factor. _
  7. Happy? You got your wish.

  8. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    lafayette
    Posts
    76

    Default Re: Gotta face the music....

    It looks to me that Rob will go the way of most UL coaches and leave the profession to go into business full time here in town.


  9. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,068
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Gotta face the music....

    Quote Originally Posted by j___pop View Post
    _ It looks to me that Rob will go the way of most UL coaches and leave the profession to go into business full time here in town. _
    IMO no D1 college coach should be allowed to have a side business while coaching. Jerry Denardo's restaurant was a distraction that contributed to his downfall.

    Also no coach should be allowed to coach his or her child, they either have bad teams or simply tread water. Bustle is the first I seen a coach survive the situation but this year will tell the tell if he has the drive to coach after his son has left. Then againg he was give an extraordinarily long leash, so survive might be the wrong word.

  10. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    3,072

    Default

    /agree

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Also no coach should be allowed to coach his or her child


    igeaux.mobi

  11. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    2,285

    Default Re: Gotta face the music....

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ IMO no D1 college coach should be allowed to have a side business while coaching. Jerry Denardo's restaurant was a distraction that contributed to his downfall.

    Also no coach should be allowed to coach his or her child, they either have bad teams or simply tread water. Bustle is the first I seen a coach survive the situation but then again he has been given an extraordinarily long leash. _
    Careful what you say. Bob Marlin has a son who is a pretty good HS basketball player and may end up here. May not be on scholarship but on the team.

  12. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,068
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Gotta face the music....

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Town Cajun View Post
    _ Careful what you say. Bob Marlin has a son who is a pretty good HS basketball player and may end up here. May not be on scholarship but on the team. _
    Historically it's a career killer, the coaches seem to burn out or lose their drive after the kid is gone.

    Press & Pete Maravich at LSU

    Wally & Jon English at Tulane

    Jessie & Jared Evans at Louisiana

    Nelson & Brandon Stokley at Louisiana

    Nelson & David Schexnayder

  13. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,935

    Default Re: Gotta face the music....

    WTF are some of u guys talking about? Robe having his son on the team, has absolutely NOTHING to do with anything. Period. Idont care if it is a son, a nephew, a cousin...if the kid is good enough, then he should be on the team. His son was recruited out of HS by every D1 school in the state, as well as schools from bigger and better conferences. He chose to come here.


  14. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,609
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Gotta face the music....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben7198 View Post
    _ You're exactly right. If you want daddy ball...sign up for the rec league or USSSA ball. Ever since Justin or should i say "Jut" got here, the program has gone down hill. The only reason 2007 was worth anything was because of Lucroy and Tatford. And the bad news is...there is another Robichaux on the way. _
    Better he play here, then some other Div1 program. If the kid is good enough to pitch at some very good programs, we shouldn't sign him because his father is the Coach? This is an idiotic statement. Maybe we should not try and sign the younger Lucroy, heck he can go play at Fla.State and Miami. You sign the best talent you can get period!

  15. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2

    Default Re: Gotta face the music....

    its just a little suspicious when justin gets shoulder tendinitis and hurts his groin and get promoted to the starting first baseman when there are other guys on the team who can play first, hit, and don't pitch. Justin is much needed as a Saturday guy on the mound. If that's not daddy ball then I don't know what is.


  16. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,935

    Default

    Its suspicious because u as well as others have a hard on for Robe because we are having another bad season. Let's face it I'm not happy how thing are going but your comments are completly innaccurate. His son can pitch, and has done so with sucess at this level for 4 yrs now. And I may add that he has filled in rather nicely at firstbase and at the plate when noone else on the team could seem to lock down that position. His bat isn't to shabby either after not hitting for 2 yrs if u haven't noticed. U are taking a cheap shot at a kid bc of his dad and that's completly uncalled for. Btw, Robe has a younger son that u better hope "descides" to come here bc guess what.... He's pretty dam good also

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben7198 View Post
    its just a little suspicious when justin gets shoulder tendinitis and hurts his groin and get promoted to the starting first baseman when there are other guys on the team who can play first, hit, and don't pitch. Justin is much needed as a Saturday guy on the mound. If that's not daddy ball then I don't know what is.


    igeaux.mobi

  17. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,457

    Default Re: Gotta face the music....

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ IMO no D1 college coach should be allowed to have a side business while coaching. Jerry Denardo's restaurant was a distraction that contributed to his downfall.

    Also no coach should be allowed to coach his or her child, they either have bad teams or simply tread water. Bustle is the first I seen a coach survive the situation but then again he has been given an extraordinarily long leash. _
    Turb -

    I could not disagree with you more about coaching your son. If Robe's son was good, and was allowed to elsewhere. We would have crucified him on this board. Bruce Pearl and Tennessee were in the Elite 8 and he was coaching his son.

    I guess Bryce Drew did not work out for Homer Drew at Valpo....

    Oh yeah, Bobby Knight was a terrible coach with Pat Knight.

    You are making a blanket statement that is simply not true in every situation. It depends on the coach and the son and each situation.

    So are you saying that Stokely, Bustle, and Robe would be better off without coaching their kids....

  18. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    217

    Default Re: Gotta face the music....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben7198 View Post
    _ its just a little suspicious when justin gets shoulder tendinitis and hurts his groin and get promoted to the starting first baseman when there are other guys on the team who can play first, hit, and don't pitch. Justin is much needed as a Saturday guy on the mound. If that's not daddy ball then I don't know what is. _

    So you get yourself a screename to bi%ch and moan because your cousin's neice's boyfriend is buried somewhere on the bench and his grandma feels like he should be starting at 1st base instead of the coach's son. I am very critical about this team as a whole you can ask the people who sit around me they call me Negative Nancy. Robicheaux is probably the best defensive 1st baseman we have ever had here, no offense to Hawke.... We tried multiple people at 1st and they were given ample opportunities to get it together. None of them could hit and they damn sure couldn't catch any ball that was thrown in the dirt much less some balls that were thrown right at them. It doesn't matter if you have a pitcher who can throw a complete game 2 hitter if we make 7 errors a game we probably still won't win. I was begging for Robe to be put there several weeks before he got inserted into the lineup. We would have been better off with him at first even if he was batting .200. Most of the errors we had at the beginning of the season were from balls in the dirt that the first baseman couldn't scoop. I think that we would really have almost the same amount of errors on the left side of the infield if it wasn't for T-Robe bailing them out. Now that still doesn't correct Porrier booting every other ball hit his way, but it sure has erased alot of errors that we would have potentionally had.

    So how about you tell us who your baby momma's, step father's, coworker's daughter's boyfriend is who can hit .350 and play a better first base. Or better yet tell us how you really feel and tell us that this alleged stud should be pitching on Friday nights instead of Osbourne.

  19. #33
    CajunRed's Avatar
    CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,301

    Default Re: Gotta face the music....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben7198 View Post
    _ its just a little suspicious when justin gets shoulder tendinitis and hurts his groin and get promoted to the starting first baseman when there are other guys on the team who can play first, hit, and don't pitch. Justin is much needed as a Saturday guy on the mound. If that's not daddy ball then I don't know what is. _
    What a STUPID comment! Evidently, you have NO idea as to why Justin was put at first base. The reason is that he is by FAR the best first baseman we have... PERIOD.

    We all make comments from time to time that may miss the mark, but this one was just plain DUMB!

  20. #34
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,668

    Ragin' Cajuns Re: Gotta face the music....

    I can't speak for others, but my problem with Robichaux has nothing to do with his son.

    Tony has NOT produced at the level expected of him for years. That is reason enough to let him go.

    He has a philosophy that does NOT work in college baseball unless your team has really outstanding hitters; something we have been sorely lacking for a number of years now. We do not make opposing pitchers pay for their mistakes. Tony is more interested in forcing the opposing pitcher into high pitch count than he is in making things easy for our hitters. He's always been like that, it is not new.

    He's been very successful in the past; but anything over 3 years ago is ancient history; it should be commemorated, but not rewarded. Three consecutive bad years should earn him [or any other coach at UL] a pink slip.


  21. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Iota
    Posts
    89

    Default Re: Gotta face the music....

    Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    _ Turb -

    I could not disagree with you more about coaching your son. If Robe's son was good, and was allowed to elsewhere. We would have crucified him on this board. Bruce Pearl and Tennessee were in the Elite 8 and he was coaching his son.

    I guess Bryce Drew did not work out for Homer Drew at Valpo....

    Oh yeah, Bobby Knight was a terrible coach with Pat Knight.

    You are making a blanket statement that is simply not true in every situation. It depends on the coach and the son and each situation.

    So are you saying that Stokely, Bustle, and Robe would be better off without coaching their kids.... _

    Dont Forget about Jack and John Elway
    And
    Bob Hurley Sr. and Bobby

  22. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,609
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Gotta face the music....

    Quote Originally Posted by billdog74 View Post
    _ Dont Forget about Jack and John Elway
    And
    Bob Hurley Sr. and Bobby _
    I thought about both of those examples last night, but there are many examples of successful trios in college sports. It hasn't worked out as for us because those were poor programs at the time. But Jack Elway was coaching at another program while John was at Stanford and beat him three times.

  23. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    20,068
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Gotta face the music....

    Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    _ Turb -

    I could not disagree with you more about coaching your son. If Robe's son was good, and was allowed to elsewhere. We would have crucified him on this board. Bruce Pearl and Tennessee were in the Elite 8 and he was coaching his son.

    I guess Bryce Drew did not work out for Homer Drew at Valpo....
    Hey I think it's great for the child of a coach but unfortunately can be bad for the team. those are good examples of it working out though)

    Just for the record I raised this issue before Bustle or Robichaux ever signed LINK

    The reason I find nepotism can be bad for the coach-player ‘team’ relationship has nothing to do with favoritism (even though it often occurs and the player leaves the school a record setter). My reasoning is inevitable that it will remove any mystic and lower the respect level a team has for the coach.

    The reason is the child of a coach will, without ever wanting to will give away through words or body language, when a player doesn't have to take the coach serious.

    jmo

  24. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In a van down by the river.
    Posts
    4,745

    Default Re: Gotta face the music....

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ Hey I think it's great for the child of a coach but unfortunately can be bad for the team. those are good examples of it working out though)

    Just for the record I raised this issue before Bustle or Robichaux ever signed LINK

    The reason I find nepotism can be bad for the coach-player ‘team’ relationship has nothing to do with favoritism (even though it often occurs and the player leaves the school a record setter). My reasoning is inevitable that it will remove any mystic and lower the respect level a team has for the coach.

    The reason is the child of a coach will, without ever wanting to will give away through words or body language, when a player doesn't have to take the coach serious.

    jmo _
    I agree with you Turbine. Also I don't think you mentioned it but if you have to fire the coach it makes for a really ugly situation. I believe we kept Stokley around a few years to many because of Brandon.

  25. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,004

    Default Re: Gotta face the music....

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben7198 View Post
    _ its just a little suspicious when justin gets shoulder tendinitis and hurts his groin and get promoted to the starting first baseman when there are other guys on the team who can play first, hit, and don't pitch. Justin is much needed as a Saturday guy on the mound. If that's not daddy ball then I don't know what is. _
    Come on fella's, you have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to see that Justin is one of the best 9 players on this team! If the other players on the team that supposidly can play first, hit and pitch were doing the job early in the season, Justin would not have had to be put back in to play first and hit while he was healing up.

    When the season is not going as well as expected, we all tend to look for reasons. However, blaming the Coach for playing his son does not make any sense in this case!!!

  26. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    3,061

    Default Re: Gotta face the music....

    I don't know about the Father/Son issue and if that has soemthing to do with the horrid performance of this team over the last 2 1/2 years, but I do know that something is not right from within the program. I have talked to former players, who were stars on the team, and they have all indicated that the problem is at the top. There is absolutely no good reason why this program is so inconsistent. We have made post season only 3 times since the 2000 season and we will not make it again this year, baring some miracle in the conference tournament. Absolutely no excuse for this. I don't expect for us to go to a super regional or the CWS every year, but regional play 3 or 4 out of every 5 is not asking too much for a program that at one time was considered to be top 3 in the state.

    What is going to happen at the end of this year? Doesn't Coach Robe's contract run out at the end of next season? I would think that he would not want go into his final year without a new contract, or at least an extension. As impressed as I am with the basketball hiring, I don't think the admin is going to pay that much attention to baseball, especially with the very real possiblity that we will be looking for a new football coach at the end of this upcoming season.


Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •