The Cannon Was Removed Because A Mother Said That
    It Scared Her Little Boy.

Originally posted by prasincajun
    Please tell me you are kidding.....:o

Originally posted by RaginRash
    Please tell me you are kidding.....:o
    Yea sorry guys, it scares me at the games so i told my mommy to make the loud noise go away. :-P

Tuffguy

Originally posted by prasincajun
    The little boy can do something that won't make the cannon so loud. IT'S CALLED COVERING YOUR EARS!!!!!

Humm, come football time I think we will have to sign a little petition to get that thing back in there. All of our voices together should be able to drown out the screams of that scared little kid.

I bring my two little ones to the games and they love the cannon. But then they are not weenies.

I'm with you REDBUG58. I usually bring 2-6 kids to every game and they were VERY disappointed that the cannon was not in action for the last two home games.

My niece and I nearly jumped out of our skins on several occasions because of the cannon. Isn't that part of the fun of having a cannon? She's 8, and I'm 33, and we would both laugh our heads off afterward. The cannon brought out the kid in me.

Default The Cannon

Now that football season is approaching, I have a question about the cannon at Cajun Field. To my disappointment, they stopped using it at the end of the year. I heard somewhere that they stopped because the person using it needed a pyrotechnic license or something to that effect. Well, I was just curious to see if anyone close to the University knows the fate of the cannon.

BTW, if they need someone to volunteer, sign me up!

Actually, it was over a dispute between Kappa Alpha Fraternity (owners of the cannon) and the University. The University decided to start charging people to park along Fraternity Row, including fraternity members. This ____ed off the frats, so they began to boycott the football games. I hope that all is resolved on the cannon is back at The Swamp.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

BRING THE CANNON BACK !!!!!!!!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Blog Entries

Originally posted by rebel02
    Actually, it was over a dispute between Kappa Alpha Fraternity (owners of the cannon) and the University. The University decided to start charging people to park along Fraternity Row, including fraternity members. This ____ed off the frats, so they began to boycott the football games. I hope that all is resolved on the cannon is back at The Swamp.
    You have got to be kidding me. This administration is a tightwad moneygrubbing killjoy. Now I understand why the cops had us get off the grass it was because we didn't pay extra.

The University had every right to begin to charge people on Fraternity Row. The land is owned by the university, along with the houses the fraternities live in. Many students began to park there and walk to Cajun Field to use the bus system without paying. I fully condone what the university did.

Wait, are you sure KA owns the cannon? Because they didn't bother to take it back when they stopped.

Anyway, was this thing resolved anyone, or will I have to start a "buy a new cannon fund" on here.

Default clarification

The land is owned by the university, along with the houses the fraternities live in.
    Just to clarify a few things so there is no miss information going around. I agree the university should be charging to park at frat row. It is university land, however, the university does NOT own the houses. The houses are owned by each fraternity alumni or housing corporation. The alumni or housing coporations lease the land the houses are built on from the university under a 99 year lease agreement.

Wait, are you sure KA owns the cannon?
    KA does own the cannon. It is in front of their house on fraternity row as of a few days ago.

I always thought it was a big mistake to move onto University owned land.

Blog Entries

Default Re: clarification

Originally posted by CajunGrad94
    The alumni or housing coporations lease the land the houses are built on from the university under a 99 year lease agreement.
    So how does the university get off charging for parking on leased land? Shouldn't that be the prerogative of the fraternity alumni or housing corporation?

University owns the parking lot. It is not part of the lease apparently.

DaddyCajun is offline Dig deep UL will Prosper! Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Bring back the cannon, just get it done!!!

Default Re: Re: clarification

Originally posted by Turner
    So how does the university get off charging for parking on leased land? Shouldn't that be the prerogative of the fraternity alumni or housing corporation?
    Again, it is up to the property owner(the univeristy) to charge or not. The alumni and housing corporations ONLY own the improvements(houses) to the property. Another point, the parking lot is used for access to the park behind the row, the sports complex, and the busing system, not just for the fraternity houses. I was there from 1989 - 1993 and we always had to purchase a parking sticker for the zone and it was policed on a regular basis just like any other parking zone for the university.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast