_ _ _ _

Thread: Hardy bill to up GPA standards approved

1. Default Hardy bill to up GPA standards approved

BATON ROUGE High school students who want to participate in athletics have to perform in the classroom, as well as on the field, says Lafayette Rep. Rickey Hardy. Ever since he took office in 2008, Hardy has offered legislation to force the Louisiana ...

Default Re: Hardy bill to up GPA standards approved

This has been long overdue. Congratulations to the legislature for finally realizing that high school athletics should come second to education. By making the high school coaches have some stake in their kids academic standing, maybe they will have an incentive to put a program in place that ensures kids will qualify.

This should lead to not as many LA kids having to go juco or greyshirt.

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    _ This has been long overdue. Congratulations to the legislature for finally realizing that high school athletics should come second to education. By making the high school coaches have some stake in their kids academic standing, maybe they will have an incentive to put a program in place that ensures kids will qualify.

This should lead to not as many LA kids having to go juco or greyshirt. _
    I agree and applaud Mr. Hardy's efforts. But don't get too excited about our politicians just yet. This is just the first step as it finally cleared the education committee in the House. It now has to go to the full House for a vote and then the Senate. We'll see if the rest of the legislature has seen the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ I agree and applaud Mr. Hardy's efforts. But don't get too excited about our politicians just yet. This is just the first step as it finally cleared the education committee in the House. It now has to go to the full House for a vote and then the Senate. We'll see if the rest of the legislature has seen the light. _
    Hopefully, they have, allowing kids to play with D's is not acceptable for IMO.

This solves nothing. The school systems determine what a "C" is! And look at it this way if the school is on a straight block schedule (2 semesters, 4 classes each), a student can take athletic p.e., a relatively easy elective and 2 core classes. Even if they fail the core curriculum classes they can still play as long as they pass the electives with an A. This legislation, like much of the recent "education improvement " legislation is useless. JMO

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Derfdog View Post
    _ This solves nothing. The school systems determine what a "C" is! And look at it this way if the school is on a straight block schedule (2 semesters, 4 classes each), a student can take athletic p.e., a relatively easy elective and 2 core classes. Even if they fail the core curriculum classes they can still play as long as they pass the electives with an A. This legislation, like much of the recent "education improvement " legislation is useless. JMO

igeaux.mobi _
    So you are saying that the legislation is useless because educators across the state will engage in massive fraud and give students a "C" who don't deserve it. If you hold that belief than we shouldn't even regulate education because the teacher, principals and administrators will just defraud the system anyway.

Also, the legislation should include a provision that you cannot play with an F in anything.

Slappy..what I'm saying is that the LHSAA basically already has what this legislation states in it's bylaws. And if you dint think that grades are "fixed" sometimes to keep stars on the field, then I need to talk to you about some property I have for sale. I mean ask some of these Louisiana powerhouse schools why they don't put more kids into Div I. Lastly...those kids that can't make the grades will make the great transition to private schools. These schools don't have to do anything that the legislation mandates.

You want a real fix? Try this. The GPA must be a 2.5 and you must have to meet a minimum class set. (no loading up on electives unless your graduation requirements are finished). Then put it into the LHSAA bylaws. (bylaws means the private schools have to follow it or they can't compete in LHSAA competition) See how many coaches are willing to put it on the line.

BTW...regulating education the way we have has put all the problems on the teacher instead of the student/parent(s) and has created a situation where we are teaching to the base and really letting our top students suffer for it. Get rid of some of the regulation and bring back the compeitive nature of having a "better" school and education can right itself.

_ Slappy..what I'm saying is that the LHSAA basically already has what this legislation states in it's bylaws. And if you dint think that grades are "fixed" sometimes to keep stars on the field, then I need to talk to you about some property I have for sale. I mean ask some of these Louisiana powerhouse schools why they don't put more kids into Div I. Lastly...those kids that can't make the grades will make the great transition to private schools. These schools don't have to do anything that the legislation mandates.

You want a real fix? Try this. The GPA must be a 2.5 and you must have to meet a minimum class set. (no loading up on electives unless your graduation requirements are finished). Then put it into the LHSAA bylaws. (bylaws means the private schools have to follow it or they can't compete in LHSAA competition) See how many coaches are willing to put it on the line.

BTW...regulating education the way we have has put all the problems on the teacher instead of the student/parent(s) and has created a situation where we are teaching to the base and really letting our top students suffer for it. Get rid of some of the regulation and bring back the compeitive nature of having a "better" school and education can right itself. _
    Great Post... You hit the nail on the head!

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Slappy..what I'm saying is that the LHSAA basically already has what this legislation states in it's bylaws. And if you dint think that grades are "fixed" sometimes to keep stars on the field, then I need to talk to you about some property I have for sale. I mean ask some of these Louisiana powerhouse schools why they don't put more kids into Div I. Lastly...those kids that can't make the grades will make the great transition to private schools. These schools don't have to do anything that the legislation mandates.

BTW...regulating education the way we have has put all the problems on the teacher instead of the student/parent(s) and has created a situation where we are teaching to the base and really letting our top students suffer for it. Get rid of some of the regulation and bring back the compeitive nature of having a "better" school and education can right itself.
    Majority of private schools have a tougher grading system than public schools. 100-94 = A, 93-86 = B, 85-77 = C, and a 76-70 = D.

I know that doesn't change the fact that local school politics will continue to corrupt education especially when ut come to athletics. But to say the privates schools are a major problem is foolish and a cop out.

igeaux.mobi

Blog Entries

Raise the bar !!! As a high school coach, I am all for it . Just don't do it in athletics,do it in all extra curricular activities .

CajunAmos is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by tank View Post
    Raise the bar !!! As a high school coach, I am all for it . Just don't do it in athletics,do it in all extra curricular activities .
    I know many of the other clubs do police themselves. I remember it being a requirement for speech when my daughter was in high school, and I remember thinking at the time that no one should participate in any campus "extra curricular" activity without having a 2.0 minimum GPA.

Tank... I totally agree. If you can't get it done in the classroom, you don't need to use up study time on the field or anywhere else.

As for tougher grading scales...yes. But not always. And, they also do not have the same curriculum standards that the public school system has to meet. They take no money (except title I) so they don't have to follow the silly standardized testing policies or the state mandated class requirements the public school system does. Nor or they told what they have to teach and when by anyone but their administration. They can do with their education what they wish. Unlike public schools, where education often,but not always, takes a backseat to finding ways to get more money from the government.

Look, there are plenty things wrong with the whole system. And I'm not trying to say that there is one system (private v public) "better" than the other or that one is the red head step child. What I'm saying is that the legislation is lipstick on a pig.

I am by no means a fan of Ricky Hardy, but I have been hoping this would pass since he first started this crusade in 2008. It is long over due that we quit leading the nation in having the lowest standards in education.

GEAUX UL!

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Hardy bill to up GPA standards approved

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    _ Majority of private schools have a tougher grading system than public schools. 100-94 = A, 93-86 = B, 85-77 = C, and a 76-70 = D.
    I know that doesn't change the fact that local school politics will continue to corrupt education especially when ut come to athletics. But to say the privates schools are a major problem is foolish and a cop out.

igeaux.mobi _
    Don't look for that system at schools like John Curtis and Evangel. Just saying...