_ _ _ _
Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast
Results 741 to 760 of 762

Thread: Campus Construction

  1. #741
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,780

    Default Re: Campus Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    I have noticed that, over time, plants that died around the new residence halls has not been replaced. The dead plants were just removed. All of the landscaping along McKinley placed around the Baker and Huger halls has been removed. It's just grass and they mow it. I haven't checked in the courtyards lately but I drive by on McKinley often. Many of the plants along University against Corona and Bonin have also been removed after they died. I suspect they will be mowing that in the next couple of years. We shall see what happens with the landscaping around the student union. I figured that would happen. They have the money to build but not maintain. If you walked into the Dr. Maggards office and were writing a check for one million dollars I doubt much if any would go to landscaping. I suspect they have bigger priorities than landscaping at the complex.
    We are seeking millions of dollars in donations to athletics. We are also wanting to move up in conference. We will only get one chance to make a first impression with any new donors, with visiting conference commissioners or potential conference schools that we might play, and any visitors to our complex. We need to make the right impression when they visit our athletic complex. Relating this to Real Estate terms, we have Class A interiors to our facilities (which nobody sees), but Class B exteriors and grounds, and in some buildings Class C. A lot will change when something is done with the Cox Building, but who knows when that till occur. UL is looking at 2 options with that building (1) tear it down and rebuild elsewhere, or (2) renovate and put a 2nd story on it. I would argue that UL can't afford to not landscape and make the complex as attractive as possible. There are a couple of things UL can do. (1) Find a landscaping company as a major sponsor of athletics who will handle the landscaping for us and (2) get creative, for example, by utilizing the agronomy department to provide each year a senior class project to work on the athletic campus landscaping in conjunction with the landscaping sponsor.

    UL cannot afford to overlook the details that will make for a great athletic campus to match our now beautiful academic campus that Dr. S has done a remarkable job with. We are attracting more valedictorians than ever to UL. When students and their parents visit, they want to see a beautiful, vibrant campus. If you want to attract wealth (economic and academic), look wealthy. Quit operating like we are USL. We are the University of Louisiana. Invest in it. Act like it. Look like it.

  2. #742
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,373

    Default Re: Campus Construction

    Interesting, realated recent article in the Verm.

    https://www.thevermilion.com/news/ne...1c49a63a5.html


  3. #743
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Youngsville, LA
    Posts
    4,022

    Default Re: Campus Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    We are seeking millions of dollars in donations to athletics. We are also wanting to move up in conference. We will only get one chance to make a first impression with any new donors, with visiting conference commissioners or potential conference schools that we might play, and any visitors to our complex. We need to make the right impression when they visit our athletic complex. Relating this to Real Estate terms, we have Class A interiors to our facilities (which nobody sees), but Class B exteriors and grounds, and in some buildings Class C. A lot will change when something is done with the Cox Building, but who knows when that till occur. UL is looking at 2 options with that building (1) tear it down and rebuild elsewhere, or (2) renovate and put a 2nd story on it. I would argue that UL can't afford to not landscape and make the complex as attractive as possible. There are a couple of things UL can do. (1) Find a landscaping company as a major sponsor of athletics who will handle the landscaping for us and (2) get creative, for example, by utilizing the agronomy department to provide each year a senior class project to work on the athletic campus landscaping in conjunction with the landscaping sponsor.

    UL cannot afford to overlook the details that will make for a great athletic campus to match our now beautiful academic campus that Dr. S has done a remarkable job with. We are attracting more valedictorians than ever to UL. When students and their parents visit, they want to see a beautiful, vibrant campus. If you want to attract wealth (economic and academic), look wealthy. Quit operating like we are USL. We are the University of Louisiana. Invest in it. Act like it. Look like it.
    I totally agree with you on the need to put the finishing touches to complete the total look of a 1st class university. This is a must-do.

  4. #744
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    3,029

    Default Re: Campus Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Interesting, realated recent article in the Verm.

    https://www.thevermilion.com/news/ne...1c49a63a5.html
    I think they will try to do more of this. They need to cut costs on landscape up keep and anything that will let them do nothing will be a help. It will be interesting to see how this works long term. I suspect these areas might be trash magnets.

  5. #745
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,373

    Default Re: Campus Construction

    Green space is pretty much complete, and I think it turned out to be a great addition to the campus:

    Attached Images Attached Images                

  6. #746
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,373

    Default Re: Campus Construction

    This is a view from Buchanan taken right before the construction was completed, and that was posted on the UL Housing FB page.

    Attached Images Attached Images  

  7. #747
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    1,381

    Default Re: Campus Construction

    Thanks for the pics. Been meaning to drive by for a first hand look. Is there a bioswale in the green space?


  8. #748
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    19,050

    Default Re: Campus Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Thanks for the pics. Been meaning to drive by for a first hand look. Is there a bioswale in the green space?
    Talked to T-Joe and I along with others offered congrats on the campus look....he said it was. Getting there but more to do......just think how bad it was!!!

  9. #749
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,373

    Default Re: Campus Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Thanks for the pics. Been meaning to drive by for a first hand look. Is there a bioswale in the green space?
    Well, not sure but I think so: in the space between the pine trees and Hebrard (where Corona Hall......or was that one Olivier????......used to be) is now a valley-like depression for drainage. Either that, or it left a hole when hell swallowed up the old 'eye-sore' buildings. ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  10. #750
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    6,780

    Default Re: Campus Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    This is a view from Buchanan taken right before the construction was completed, and that was posted on the UL Housing FB page.
    Thanks for the pictures. The campus is really looking great. Need to do the same thing at the athletic campus that is sorely in need of a beautification project.

  11. #751
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,373

    Default Re: Campus Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Thanks for the pictures. The campus is really looking great. Need to do the same thing at the athletic campus that is sorely in need of a beautification project.
    No problem. And here's one more: a picture of what the corner of Hebrard and Boucher used to look like, when the 'new' student union was just completed in 1957 to replace the 'old' one, Bittle Hall.

    Also note that the street lights in the vintage photo are basically the same ones that have now replaced the modern ones that were put in during the 1960's.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  12. #752
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.
    Posts
    6,429

    Default Re: Campus Construction

    We need to pass some sort of proclamation.

    There shall be no pine trees anywhere on campus.


  13. #753
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Lafayette,LA
    Posts
    4,182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    We need to pass some sort of proclamation.

    There shall be no pine trees anywhere on campus.
    Heard that! Pines are the worst!

  14. #754
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    679

    Default Re: Campus Construction

    Man it looks like parking has always been scarce on campus going back over 60 years.


  15. #755
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    4,005

    Default Re: Campus Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by FacelessBuffoon View Post
    You are correct. I was by there the other day and if I were Franks / Mosing family who paid for the naming rights to the APC, I'd be p_____ed as half of the name is blocked by that eyesore.
    Maggard is flipping is leaning more towards demolishing the cox building

  16. #756
    Frenchie35's Avatar
    Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Campus Construction

    It would be the biggest eye sore if that building was not torn down.


  17. #757
    Frenchie35's Avatar
    Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: Campus Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    3-4 years is at least a decade faster than I actually believed it could happen.
    Let's see, that would make me 84 or 85. I hung around for Russo Park so just maybe I can hopefully sit in the new renovated Cajun Field.

  18. #758
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    4,373

    Default Re: Campus Construction

    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    It would be the biggest eye sore if that building was not torn down.
    Yep.....that one and the maintenance shed too. They both ruin the views of the two buildings that we've spent so much money on, the APC and the Tigue.

    And looking at the new Cypress Lake Plaza makes me you more easily imagine how great a new green space the new Champions Plaza will be.

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 28 34 35 36 37 38 39 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •