Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Campus Construction

Default Re: Campus Construction

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    There are one or two buildings accross the swamp from the student union facing the Blvd. I don't remember the name of the building(s), but they are total eyesores. I don't think the buildings are being used for anything, at least they shouldn't be. I hope they are being torn down to make a clear view of the swamp and renovated student union. Just a simple removal would help beautify the campus. Can you please confirm the status of them?
    There are three buildings that you are talking about. Guillory, Olivier and Corona. Guillory is the building with the balcony over Cypress Lake. It will be used for food service during the Student Union Renovation. Corona and Olivier halls are on Hebrard Boulevard across from University Police. Corona Hall is the building in the last photograph posted in the Student Union construction thread. It still houses some offices. the other building is Olivier Hall and is vacant. It will house some of the student union offices while the current student union is being renovated. For sure Olivier and Corona will be torn down after student union renovation. Guillory might be saved with a total renovation (I don't know for sure though).

One of the new rose garden residence halls will be named Corona Hall. Which one I don't know. The other rose garden hall one will be named Bonin Hall. The new parking tower completed last September is named Olivier Parking Tower. Given that two new buildings are named Olivier and Corona it's a good bet that the existing Olivier and Corona will be demolished.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

What will Dr A have named after him???

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    What will Dr A have named after him???
    The state of the art, olympic sized, septic system.

Cleaning up along University Ave. The oak trees are going to be much happier I'm sure.

happy-trees

Unfortunately they were not too concerned about this tree. It's not as bad as it looks as there was a concrete parking lot there just three days ago. If the tree thrives the side walk will be bumped up in less than five years. It could have been planned better. An obvious example of having a designer 1000 miles from a project.

oh-my

This is the view of the same tree from another angle.

building1-2

Building 1 (probably Corona Hall) alley facade as seen from University Ave. They are working on drainage, walkways and lighting here. Once they finish the columns veneer will go on and the building will be very near completion. They will easily open this building in August.

building1-1

Building 2 (probably Bonin Hall) alley facade as seen from University Ave. This building is not as far along but they will probably be able to open by August.

building2-1

Building 1 and Building 2 as seen from the side of McLauren Gym. (I just noticed that there are no precast concrete elements between the second and third floor of building 2 at each window like there is for building 1. There is no gap in the brick reserved for them either. )

building1&2

University Ave facade of Building 2, McKinley street is to the rear of the camera.

building2-2

The Boucher Street facade of building 2 as seen from the side of the Student Union. The scaffolding for the brick layers is seen to the right of the building. They have finished all brick work on this building except for the area with exposed Tyvek. Once they finish this area only minor brick work remains on the project. Most of the brick layers are gone, hopefully to another job. If not they are home. The area where the Old Saucier Clinic was is in the foreground. This view was not available before they tore old Saucier down.

building2-3

The hectic pace of construction has been dramatically reduced this past couple of weeks. Most of the work is inside now and is not as noisy. It's nice to have a little peace and quiet on the weekends now. I understand that they are not going to replace the parking areas along University Ave. under the oak trees. The trees will like that much better and it will make a much nicer look along the road. There is still plenty of work to do on Harris, Randolph and Buchanan Halls but, if they don't make it for August, it will be OK as they are not critical for housing. It's already June 3 and August is 9 weeks away.

Blog Entries

HelmutVII thanks again for all the updates. Very nice, and nice of you.

This is an absolutely beautiful campus! The amount of construction that has taken place / is about to take place is just unbelievable, especially in this time of large budget cuts being implemented by the state.

I know a lot of people don't care and there is not a direct connection but, I don't think large scale athletic upgrades were really even feasible until after these campus upgrades were completed or at least well under way. When you look at how the state can't balance a budget you have to be proud of what we are able to accomplish right now.

If you get into too much debt sometimes you just don't get out of it.

Two inches of rain on Saturday afternoon left the site pretty wet. all of the parking areas along University Ave have been removed.

rose-1

New university Ave. entrance gate with Building 2 in background

rose-2

All brick work on building 2 is finished. The green ladder structures in the foreground are the scaffolding that the brick layers used.

rose-5

Installing downspouts and overflow boxes on building 2.

rose-3

Trailer used to form gutters. They can form up to 600 feet of continuous gutter at one time. The longest gutter they installed on this project was about 100 feet. This crew is from Gawga.

rose-4

Three inches of rain on Tuesday and continued rains through the week have left the site a quagmire.

quagmire

They continue to to work though and are trying to connect drain lines to University Ave. inlets. Unfortunately they did not check for underground electric lines for the street lights. The inlet box they want to connect to is on the right. The hay bale is to keep mud out of the University Ave drain lines and the concrete to the left of the hay bale surrounds the conduits for the street lights. It at the same grade as the new drainage pipe and will have to be offset to avoid a conflict. This has happened at two locations. This could take some time because the street lighting belongs to the DOTD.

oops

Manlift stuck AGAIN. If the guy operating the manlift was not wearing boots he was in trouble because he would have sunk up to his knees.

stuck-again

Trying to get some walkways ready for concrete. Somebody is going to have a hard time servicing the port o lets because they can't get to them.

sidewalk

The alley between the two new buildings got a new tree last week. Building two is to the left.

tree

Gutters waiting to be installed are being stored behind Mc Lauren Gym.

gutters

Exit end of the gutter forming machine.

gutter-x-section

Plenty of inside work going on with the two new buildings. Harris, Randolph and Buchanan Halls are also progressing but most of that work is inside too.

This is the University Ave facade of building 1 (probably Corona Hall) almost ready for landscaping.

ready-for-landscape

University Ave Entrance to the alley between the two new buildings. Split columns are installed so they are getting close to being finished in this location.

university-entrance

Conflict box for conduits for the University Ave street lighting are being placed in a split casing (the red pipe) and a conflict box built around them.

conflict-box

University Ave facade of building 2 (most probably Bonin Hall)

building-2

Not much else to show because most of the work being done is inside.

Just wondering if it will be finished by Fall and if reservations are full!!!! last Fall we (STATE FARM) had a great move in party for the students moving in---would like to do it again!!!!

Just wondering if it will be finished by Fall and if reservations are full!!!! last Fall we (STATE FARM) had a great move in party for the students moving in---would like to do it again!!!!

the two new residence halls will be finished but Harris, Buchanan and Randolph won't make it.

Damn Lazy ___ company---Needed the company that did the softball complex!!!! LOL

Heavy rains the last part of this past week have made the site look pretty miserable. I have been on many muddy job sites and it really makes everything much more difficult to do.

They have started to place landscaping materials around Corona Hall. This is the University Ave facade.

corona-1

A peek at the new rose garden. Buchanan Hall is to the rear, Randolph is to the right and Corona is to the left.

new-rose-garden

The new University Ave gate to the alley between the two new residence halls. There will be a small parking area along University Ave for Handicapped Students only all the other parking that was there has been removed and won't be replaced.

University-ave-gate

One of two unanticipated conflict boxes for University ave underground electric conduits for street lighting. The hay bale is to keep silt from entering the subsurface drainage for University Ave.

conflict-box

Mostly inside work going on on almost all the other buildings.

Two weeks of rain has resulted in not much subject matter to photograph. Lots of landscape work has been done though and they moved furniture into Corona and Bonin residence halls. Harris is just about finished on the inside and it's a good thing too, they will have students moving in by next week (the week of August 6th). Final Certificate of Occupancy was granted on Corona and Bonin Halls last week. A temporary Certificate of Occupancy was granted on Harris Hall (the elevator wasn't ready). They should get permanent CO for Harris Hall next week. Still lots of outside work to be done. Randolph Hall won't be ready next week though but should be pretty close once school starts.

This is a view of the two new halls and Buchanan (to the left) from the rear of Mc Laurin Gym. The trenches in the foreground are for chilled water and hot water lines .

rose-1

A view down Boucher from the front of McLauin Gym. Harris Hall is to the immediate right in the photo.

rose-2

( A Harris Hall story. I had a White German Shepherd several years ago. She escaped from my yard and ran across University Ave. I got on campus and asked everybody I saw if they had seen a white dog running by. Everybody I spoke to pointed in the direction of Harris Hall. I asked at the front desk and they said she was there. I found her in the TV room watching TV with some of the residents.)

The University Ave. facade of Corona Hall. A muddy mess but it should look much different by next week if the forecast holds.

rose-6

The alley way facade of Corona Hall.

rose-3

The University Ave facade of Bonin Hall

rose-5l

The alley way facade of Bonin Hall.

rose-4

Buchanan Hall. the only thing they will be doing is to water proof and paint the exterior and install an elevator. (they ran out of money)

buchanan

It ought to be an interesting next two or three weeks. It will be quite a change from construction to an influx of college students. Although it won't be that much different from when Randolph, Baker, Huger, Bonin and Evangeline had residents.

All of the temporary construction fencing is down and they are cleaning up the site nicely. I spoke to the landscape foreman today and he said he would be finished in about 3 days. They are from Slidel.

This is the front of Randolph Hall scraped and ready for paint.

randolph-front

This is the new rear entrance to Randolph Hall almost ready for paint.

randolph-rear

Putting a new roof on Alumni Hall (the Vermilion Office)

roof-alumni

Completed Harris Hall. Maybe a little clean up but it looks like it's ready for heads on the bed.

harris-hall

Finished quad area behind Corona Hall this is the new rose garden. Buchanan Hall is to the right.

rose-garden-1

The new rose garden. It's in the same place as the old rose garden. I'm wondering how long they will be able to keep it up. They had roses planted on both sides of the entrance to Girard Hall when they finished and they are all gone now. There is a lone Crepe Myrtle on each side of the entrance now. I guess time will tell.

rose-garden-2

Cast iron plants waiting to be planted. I don't think the even the grounds crew for the University can kill these plants. I think they will survive.

cast-iron-plants

A small handicapped parking area off of University in the front of Corona and Bonin Halls. This is the only University Ave parking that will be constructed. The Oak tress will like it much better I'm sure.

HC-parking

University Ave entrance to the alley way between the two new buildings.

rose-2

Boucher Drive entrance to the alley between the two new buildings. as seen from what's left of the service drive to the student union. Boucher drive and the drive way are in pretty rough shape after all the construction.

rose-1

University Ave facade of Corona Hall as seen from the front corner of Corona Hall. Randolph Hall is to the my right.

rose-3

View from the driveway to my home.

driveway-view

It was very quiet this weekend as they are finished with all but the smallest details. The only construction going on is the landscaping, and work on Randolph Hall and Alumni Hall. Buchanan will get waterproofing and painting only.

If you go here

http://maps.google.com/

Type in "Lafayette Louisiana", Switch to satellite. If you zoom into the campus area close enough it will switch to a birds eye view of the campus taken in late April of this year.

So all the dorms are ready for the fall use---Thought they had mentioned that some would not be ready---Man this is just beautiful!!! Thanks so much for your weekly reports!!!!

Blog Entries

Looking good.

It has been a busy year and a half.

Thanks HelmutVII

HelmutVII is the man. It has been so much fun keeping up with construction. I only hope when they renovate the Tigue, the track stadium and the football stadium the university or "someone" will be able to provide just a little of what he has done for us. Fans love seeing things like this. Get's them excited about the university!

So all the dorms are ready for the fall use---Thought they had mentioned that some would not be ready---Man this is just beautiful!!! Thanks so much for your weekly reports!!!!
    All of the residence halls will be able to accept students for the fall semester. Randolph may not be ready at the start but it should be finished shortly after school starts. Buchanan will be painted and water proofed only from what I understand.

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 17 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast