_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article, Georgia State to Sunbelt?

Default Interesting article, Georgia State to Sunbelt?

Found this article author seams to think Georgia State is the team the sunbelt should invite. Interesting article, i know it goes against the already DI football things the conference has said but interesting. Take a look...
    http://www.pigskinu.com/justsayin/20...nference-plan/
    I can Imagine a Sunbelt like this...
    West
    N. Texas
    Texas St. or Lamar (I wouldn't do LA Tech)
    Louisiana
    ULM
    Arkansas St.
    S. Alabama
    East
    Troy
    MTSU
    W. Kentucky
    FIU
    FAU
    Georgia St.

Default Re: Interesting article, Georgia State to Sunbelt?

This is what our conference could look like...

Attached Images Attached Images  

"In the Sun Belt Georgia State could compete immediately."

Not so sure about this. Western is still struggling even after winning National Championship in FCS.

"If the SBC could put this together, this might just allow them to bypass the WAC, in terms of the conference pecking order"

After those schools leave the WAC, the Sunbelt is the better and much more stable conference. I don't think adding Georgia State or Texas State will help the conference in terms of image like he is stating. I would much rather La Tech and NMSU, but I don't think that is going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    _ "In the Sun Belt Georgia State could compete immediately."

Not so sure about this. Western is still struggling even after winning National Championship in FCS.

"If the SBC could put this together, this might just allow them to bypass the WAC, in terms of the conference pecking order"

After those schools leave the WAC, the Sunbelt is the better and much more stable conference. I don't think adding Georgia State or Texas State will help the conference in terms of image like he is stating. I would much rather La Tech and NMSU, but I don't think that is going to happen. _

I hear ya Jack, but he is talking about the influence the Atlanta media market might bring the SBC. By adding Tech (hope not) or NMSU you really dont help that aspect of the conference.

And more importantly, by adding NMSU, you would need another page for CJB's neat map.

Wasn't saying i agree with all his statements just though ideas where different, and footprint would be nice.
    Look at footprint with New Mexico State and LA Tech. New Mexico does little for North Texas as far as a travel partner, and makes the Flordia Teams, W. Kentucky, and MTSU travel 3/4 of the country. Im one of the people that like to drive to away games, but not driving to NMSU. La tech fits but i think they have talked down on the sunbelt too much over the years, and would bolt the second they got the chance. Texas State and Georgia State are each over 30,000 students are closer to current member's locations. Lamar was a traditional rival for the cajuns back in the day.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Clampett View Post
    _And more importantly, by adding NMSU, you would need another page for CJB's neat map. _
    Thanks. If you got any other suggestions or requests let me know...lol...

BirdofParadise is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cjbcajun View Post
    _ Wasn't saying i agree with all his statements just though ideas where different, and footprint would be nice.
    Look at footprint with New Mexico State and LA Tech. New Mexico does little for North Texas as far as a travel partner, and makes the Flordia Teams, W. Kentucky, and MTSU travel 3/4 of the country. Im one of the people that like to drive to away games, but not driving to NMSU. La tech fits but i think they have talked down on the sunbelt too much over the years, and would bolt the second they got the chance. Texas State and Georgia State are each over 30,000 students are closer to current member's locations. Lamar was a traditional rival for the cajuns back in the day. _
    If you add NMSU for football only, you're talking (at most) one trip every other year. And, it's a charter flight, making travel easier.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    _ If you add NMSU for football only, you're talking (at most) one trip every other year. And, it's a charter flight, making travel easier. _
    Jay, and others that know...

Why would we want to add a program for one sport only? Wouldn't it make sense to add all sports whomever we add?

BirdofParadise is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    _ Jay, and others that know...

Why would we want to add a program for one sport only? Wouldn't it make sense to add all sports whomever we add? _
    If and when the Sun Belt expands, they'll probably add one full-time and one for just football.

The reason is UALR. They're not getting kicked out of the league, and adding one for all sports and one for football gives you twelve for football and twelve for basketball.

_ If and when the Sun Belt expands, they'll probably add one full-time and one for just football.

The reason is UALR. They're not getting kicked out of the league, and adding one for all sports and one for football gives you twelve for football and twelve for basketball. _
    In that case I would love to have NMSU!!!!

_ If and when the Sun Belt expands, they'll probably add one full-time and one for just football.
    I agree with you a 100% that the belt wont just kick ULAR, so this it the only suitable expansion. Jay, any ideas where NMSU's other sports would end up? And who would "you" like to see as the other full member?

_ I agree with you a 100% that the belt wont just kick ULAR, so this it the only suitable expansion. Jay, any ideas where NMSU's other sports would end up? And who would "you" like to see as the other full member? _
    I think Jay wrote a blog saying that the WAC will most likely remain a conference for other sports except for football so NMSU would stay put b/c the current teams in the WAC have strong basketball and baseball programs

If the wac drops football do you think texas st. and texas - SA would go to the wac. I think they would probably change their minds and stay in the southland...
    Also i hate football only members, that is only a temporary fix and has never lasted for very long. See resent sunbelt history...

_ If the wac drops football do you think texas st. and texas - SA would go to the wac. I think they would probably change their minds and stay in the southland...
    Also i hate football only members, that is only a temporary fix and has never lasted for very long. See resent sunbelt history... _
    Why the need to keep UALR? Why not just help them find a better conference fit since they don't play football and turn the SBC into an all sports conference? Heck, the Southland may be looking for members if UTSA and TSU leave. One of the biggest problems with the SBC in the past was the hodge-podge of football and non-football playing schools, UNO, USA, UALR, Denver. USA finally adds football, UNO leaves 1A, Denver moves to the WAC, but UALR hangs on. I know some people like UALR and want to keep them, but wouldn't the conference be better in the long run if it were an all sports conference and UALR found a better conference fit for itself?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ Why the need to keep UALR? Why not just help them find a better conference fit since they don't play football and turn the SBC into an all sports conference? Heck, the Southland may be looking for members if UTSA and TSU leave. One of the biggest problems with the SBC in the past was the hodge-podge of football and non-football playing schools, UNO, USA, UALR, Denver. USA finally adds football, UNO leaves 1A, Denver moves to the WAC, but UALR hangs on. I know some people like UALR and want to keep them, but wouldn't the conference be better in the long run if it were an all sports conference and UALR found a better conference fit for itself? _
    UALR has been a valued member. Unlike Denver, they fit geography-wise, and they've done nothing wrong. And, there is no better conference for them. I think if something came open in the Missouri Valley, they'd take it, but other than that, they're here..probably for the long term.

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan32 View Post
    _ In that case I would love to have NMSU!!!! _
    Pretty nice trip

-Lafayette/Houston/ElPaso!!!!!Rent a car for about an hour trip to Las Cruces!!!

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Clampett View Post
    _ I hear ya Jack, but he is talking about the influence the Atlanta media market might bring the SBC. By adding Tech (hope not) or NMSU you really dont help that aspect of the conference.

And more importantly, by adding NMSU, you would need another page for CJB's neat map. _
    But does GaState really bring the Atlanta market? I think GaTech probably owns that market along with UGA. Do they really get much publicity there now? From people I know thta live in atlanta the answer seems to be no. And frankly I had no idea before this that GaState was in Atlanta. I think the market they would bring might not be anythign more than what UNO brought in terms of the New Orleans market which was not much.

Boomer is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ But does GaState really bring the Atlanta market? I think GaTech probably owns that market along with UGA. Do they really get much publicity there now? From people I know thta live in atlanta the answer seems to be no. And frankly I had no idea before this that GaState was in Atlanta. I think the market they would bring might not be anythign more than what UNO brought in terms of the New Orleans market which was not much. _
    At least we got stories in the T-Pic when UNO was a member---Now NOTHING!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ But does GaState really bring the Atlanta market? I think GaTech probably owns that market along with UGA. Do they really get much publicity there now? From people I know thta live in atlanta the answer seems to be no. And frankly I had no idea before this that GaState was in Atlanta. I think the market they would bring might not be anythign more than what UNO brought in terms of the New Orleans market which was not much. _

No, I agree hammer. It was what was mentioned in the article. Its just like North Texas delivering Dallas Fort Worth. Hell, I lived in Dallas for seven years and never heard about North Texas or Denton. I knew they existed because the stadium was right next to the interstate.

It's not always reality that matters but what the conference can sell to espn as far as markets go...lol... TV money drives everything...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast