Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 60 of 60

Thread: UL-0 vs Don's-4 (final)

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    420

    Default Re: UL-0 vs Don's-4 (final)

    When ya'll are done with Coach Tony, send him to Murfreesboro. We'll take him off your hands


  2. #42
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,381

    Default Re: UL-0 vs Don's-4 (final)

    With this weekend being opening of conference, what have we learned about this team? I think that when u look at the whole picture there are some areas that have made progress, and are better than we were opening weekend. Starting Pitching has been good enough to win, and the bullpen has been nails all year long. Probably the brightest spot of our team. Aggressive base running has run us out of some innings so far, but if u gonna be aggressive that will happen. Stuipid baserunning has killed us since opening weekend. There is a difference. Defense has been suspect and in the close games we have lost, errors have played a big part. We haven't been good enough offensively to overcome that yet. We haven't had enough big licks in RBI situations for us to win the close games. I don't know the stats but it seems like we are not striking out as much as in the past. As long as we are making good contact, those hits will come. Seemed like we hit the ball on the nose this weekend right at people. At least that's what it sounded like on the radio. When u have 3 true freshman in the lineup like we did yesterday, the other 6 guys better protect them and that's not happening therefore we are being exsposed. The positive is they are gaining exsperience but there is a price u pay when u are developing young kids. If and when the hits begin to fall, we can be a good team.

    igeaux.mobi


  3. #43
    CajunRed's Avatar
    CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,301

    Default Re: UL-0 vs Don's-4 (final)

    My thoughts? We can't freakin hit.


    igeaux.mobi


  4. #44
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,006

    Default Re: UL-0 vs Don's-4 (final)

    Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    _ With this weekend being opening of conference, what have we learned about this team? I think that when u look at the whole picture there are some areas that have made progress, and are better than we were opening weekend. Starting Pitching has been good enough to win, and the bullpen has been nails all year long. Probably the brightest spot of our team. Aggressive base running has run us out of some innings so far, but if u gonna be aggressive that will happen. Stuipid baserunning has killed us since opening weekend. There is a difference. Defense has been suspect and in the close games we have lost, errors have played a big part. We haven't been good enough offensively to overcome that yet. We haven't had enough big licks in RBI situations for us to win the close games. I don't know the stats but it seems like we are not striking out as much as in the past. As long as we are making good contact, those hits will come. Seemed like we hit the ball on the nose this weekend right at people. At least that's what it sounded like on the radio. When u have 3 true freshman in the lineup like we did yesterday, the other 6 guys better protect them and that's not happening therefore we are being exsposed. The positive is they are gaining exsperience but there is a price u pay when u are developing young kids. If and when the hits begin to fall, we can be a good team.

    igeaux.mobi _
    We only had two starting true freshman yesterday. Compton at first and Strentz at DH. Bourque and Sinclair are JUCO's. I think Tony is just trying to figure out the lineup. He is giving some longer leashes than others. Poirrier is a liability in the field but not at the plate. There has to be some way to get someone...anyone at second. T-Fred back to third, Bourque to second and Compton at first. I just wish Tony would get this done earlier. It seems like every year we are scrambling to find something that works. But....Tony is a winner. If this is how he wins...so be it. Can't argue with Tony's results. It may seem strange...but if it works...it works.

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,381

    Default Re: UL-0 vs Don's-4 (final)

    I typed that yesterday...was referring to game on Saturday
    igeaux.mobi


  6. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    290

    Default Re: UL-0 vs Don's-4 (final)

    Tough to dominate the first 15 games of the year. Or any 15 games of the year in a row. If you look at the past, at some point during the season we dominate 15 straight games, but more important to dominate the ones at the end than the beginning. 7-8 is not ideal, but not terrible. Let's wait to throw the towel in on the season until we see the whole body of work. 4-5 months a long time and we just haven't hit the baseball yet. We have a top 25 pitching staff once again and once we start hitting the wins will start rolling. It will come.

    But I do agree. We need to lock down the middle of the field. The secret to winning games is lock down catcher, short, second, and center. Pitch well enough to win and get some timely hits. 70% of our errors are at SS and 2B. We need to lock that down and the wins will pile up.


  7. #47
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,006

    Default Re: UL-0 vs Don's-4 (final)

    Quote Originally Posted by BGlass29 View Post
    _ Tough to dominate the first 15 games of the year. Or any 15 games of the year in a row. If you look at the past, at some point during the season we dominate 15 straight games, but more important to dominate the ones at the end than the beginning. 7-8 is not ideal, but not terrible. Let's wait to throw the towel in on the season until we see the whole body of work. 4-5 months a long time and we just haven't hit the baseball yet. We have a top 25 pitching staff once again and once we start hitting the wins will start rolling. It will come.

    But I do agree. We need to lock down the middle of the field. The secret to winning games is lock down catcher, short, second, and center. Pitch well enough to win and get some timely hits. 70% of our errors are at SS and 2B. We need to lock that down and the wins will pile up. _
    You can if you are LSU and you play the first month at the litter box. First away game for them is a mid week at Nichols. Wow. It's good to be the king.

  8. #48
    CajunRed's Avatar
    CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,301

    Default Re: UL-0 vs Don's-4 (final)

    Quote Originally Posted by BGlass29 View Post
    _ Tough to dominate the first 15 games of the year. Or any 15 games of the year in a row. If you look at the past, at some point during the season we dominate 15 straight games, but more important to dominate the ones at the end than the beginning. 7-8 is not ideal, but not terrible. Let's wait to throw the towel in on the season until we see the whole body of work. 4-5 months a long time and we just haven't hit the baseball yet. We have a top 25 pitching staff once again and once we start hitting the wins will start rolling. It will come.

    But I do agree. We need to lock down the middle of the field. The secret to winning games is lock down catcher, short, second, and center. Pitch well enough to win and get some timely hits. 70% of our errors are at SS and 2B. We need to lock that down and the wins will pile up. _
    I agree with what you're saying, Buddy, cause you sure as hell know more about baseball than me. But don't you think the most critical thing right now is to start hitting better? In the 2nd and 3rd games in California combined, we scored "2" runs. Its tough to send a pitcher out there and say..."Look, we're going to only score 2 runs in our next two games. Go out there and be PERFECT so we can still win 'em."


    You have 1 guy pitching at a time...but 9 guys in the batting lineup. WE NEED HITS!!

  9. #49
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,885

    Default Re: UL vs Don's

    Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    _ The guy received an at-large bid to a regional last year. Runs one of the most successful mid-major baseball programs in the South. Has good kids and graduates his players.

    Why should he feel pressure? Quick answer, he shouldn't.

    I think its fine to question the coach from time to time. But Tony has a couple of bad seasons built up before he feels pressure. _
    I agree with you... This happens almost every year and is insane.. Tony should have a lifetime contract.... plain and simple... He has the skins on the wall... has built this program beyond any of the expectations of those of us who sat with our ice chests in the metal bleachers pre-2000.

    So just stop the stupid talk... yes stupid... comparing Robe to Bustle....

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,642

    Default Re: UL-0 vs Don's-4 (final)

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    _ You can if you are LSU and you play the first month at the litter box. First away game for them is a mid week at Nichols. Wow. It's good to be the king. _
    i'd rather have them play a couple tuff away series before the sec starts myself---i know putting 30 thou in the stands over the weekend is good for the checkbook, but i'd forego that for some adverse conditions prep.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,642

    Default Re: UL vs Don's

    Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    _ I agree with you... This happens almost every year and is insane.. Tony should have a lifetime contract.... plain and simple... He has the skins on the wall... has built this program beyond any of the expectations of those of us who sat with our ice chests in the metal bleachers pre-2000.

    So just stop the stupid talk... yes stupid... comparing Robe to Bustle.... _
    their only commonality is that neither took their teams to the new orleans bowl.

    agreed--"bustle" and "robichaux" need not find themselves in the same sentence down the road.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    16,006

    Default Re: UL-0 vs Don's-4 (final)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonsissymia View Post
    _ i'd rather have them play a couple tuff away series before the sec starts myself---i know putting 30 thou in the stands over the weekend is good for the checkbook, but i'd forego that for some adverse conditions prep. _
    Bringing in Cal State Fullerton was a big series for them. They performed well. But its going to be the Murderers Row SEC east that may show the true mettle of that team.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,431

    Default Re: UL-0 vs Don's-4 (final)

    I'm not an LSU fan, but as far as putting together a baseball program it seems obvious that they know what they are doing.

    That knife can cut both ways, also sometimes playing at home gets your confidence going and can really start the snowball rolling downhill.


  14. #54
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,150

    Default Re: UL vs Don's

    Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    _ The guy received an at-large bid to a regional last year. Runs one of the most successful mid-major baseball programs in the South. Has good kids and graduates his players.

    Why should he feel pressure? Quick answer, he shouldn't.

    I think its fine to question the coach from time to time. But Tony has a couple of bad seasons built up before he feels pressure. _

  15. #55
    CajunRed's Avatar
    CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,301

    Default

    I'm not comparing Robe to Bustle. I'm not saying ANYTHING about not wanting Robe to stay here for a long time.

    I'm just wondering why we struggle at the plate for the first part of most seasons since 2000. And sometimes those early season hitting problems last thru the whole season.

    Anyone know why?

    Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    I agree with you... This happens almost every year and is insane.. Tony should have a lifetime contract.... plain and simple... He has the skins on the wall... has built this program beyond any of the expectations of those of us who sat with our ice chests in the metal bleachers pre-2000.

    So just stop the stupid talk... yes stupid... comparing Robe to Bustle....



    igeaux.mobi

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Broussard
    Posts
    592

    Default Re: UL-0 vs Don's-4 (final)

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ I'm not comparing Robe to Bustle. I'm not saying ANYTHING about not wanting Robe to stay here for a long time.

    I'm just wondering why we struggle at the plate for the first part of most seasons since 2000. And sometimes those early season hitting problems last thru the whole season.

    Anyone know why?
    igeaux.mobi _
    Wade Simoneaux left for Head Coach Position at La Tech in 2001 I believe. We have never been the same at the plate since except for a couple guys (Lucroy, Hawkins). I'd love to get Wade back as Top Asst. His son is a redshirt on the team I believe.

    GEAUX UL!

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,680

    Default Re: UL-0 vs Don's-4 (final)

    Quote Originally Posted by rgncjn12 View Post
    Wade Simoneaux left for Head Coach Position at La Tech in 2001 I believe. We have never been the same at the plate since except for a couple guys (Lucroy, Hawkins). I'd love to get Wade back as Top Asst. His son is a redshirt on the team I believe.

    GEAUX UL! _
    I think it might be hard for Wade to return as an Assistant Coach after having been a Head Coach for a number of years and running his own program. But, you never know!

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    290

    Default Re: UL-0 vs Don's-4 (final)

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ I agree with what you're saying, Buddy, cause you sure as hell know more about baseball than me. But don't you think the most critical thing right now is to start hitting better? In the 2nd and 3rd games in California combined, we scored "2" runs. Its tough to send a pitcher out there and say..."Look, we're going to only score 2 runs in our next two games. Go out there and be PERFECT so we can still win 'em."


    You have 1 guy pitching at a time...but 9 guys in the batting lineup. WE NEED HITS!! _
    Absolutely. Easier for me to mentally tackle the errors first than the hitting, but that's probably because I know nothing about hitting ha. I just feel like the hitting will come eventually and in bunches. Hitting is such a streaky thing. Always amazes me when a professional team gets no hit twice in 2 weeks or a few near no hitters back to back, but it happens. Just funks you go in and out of. As a pitcher, errors, infield hits, bunt base hits, and stolen bases eat you alive.

    But, I do agree the hitting has been absolutely inexcusable.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,381

    Default

    I wouldn't say never, but I'll say 98% sure that wouldn't happen at this time. One, someone would have to leave for that to take place. Two, we have a tremendous young knowledgable resource with Brooks, who isn't getting paid anything as a volunteer coach right now, that should be promoted if someone was to leave. But in a perfect world I would love to have a guy like wade back on our staff if there were more coaching spots. He and Tony had a good thing while he was here, they were good cop bad cop. Wade kept those guys loose and happy, and instilled a great brand of offense here that worked.




    Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    I think it might be hard for Wade to return as an Assistant Coach after having been a Head Coach for a number of years and running his own program. But, you never know!



    igeaux.mobi

  20. #60
    CajunRed's Avatar
    CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,301

    Default

    As usual, Buddy, you make such great points.

    Hope all is well with you..and I'll see you at TheTigue.


    Oh...and btw...we just lost 4 games in a row. I couldn't care less who said "GEAUX" first!!

    Quote Originally Posted by BGlass29 View Post
    Absolutely. Easier for me to mentally tackle the errors first than the hitting, but that's probably because I know nothing about hitting ha. I just feel like the hitting will come eventually and in bunches. Hitting is such a streaky thing. Always amazes me when a professional team gets no hit twice in 2 weeks or a few near no hitters back to back, but it happens. Just funks you go in and out of. As a pitcher, errors, infield hits, bunt base hits, and stolen bases eat you alive.

    But, I do agree the hitting has been absolutely inexcusable.



    igeaux.mobi

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •