Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: UL v.s. SLU

CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    Not a bad loss in the sense that SLU is a pretty darn good club and has been for a couple of years now. However, it was a very bad loss considering the way the team played.
    My thoughts exactly. We did NOT look ready to play.

igeaux.mobi

wcd35 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: UL v.s. SLU

I has been a distracting week with all the rain outs. Not an excuse, but just saying. Hopefully that game will get us tuned in for the Cal trip.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ My thoughts exactly. We did NOT look ready to play.

igeaux.mobi _

I know it's baseball, and a team is going to have a game or two like this during the course of a season, but what is irritating to me is that the Cajuns have made this a pattern for the last 3 or 4 years. From a purely baseball standpoint, I thought this program had advanced beyond this type of situation. However, it is a game being played by young, college student/athletes, and they have more on their minds than just baseball. Hopefully, they can rebound this weekend.

Its not the same team or veteran team with 30 year olds every year like a professional team. Collegiate sports is always susceptible to a bad game now and then. Its not that big of a deal. Just want to limit it. It was just a bad night. And we still only lost by 2.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    _ Its not the same team or veteran team with 30 year olds every year like a professional team. Collegiate sports is always susceptible to a bad game now and then. Its not that big of a deal. Just want to limit it. It was just a bad night. And we still only lost by 2. _

I agree, but you have to admit, this was not the first bad night this season. Up until the series with Sienna, they had quite a few Bad News Bears moments.

_ I agree, but you have to admit, this was not the first bad night this season. Up until the series with Sienna, they had quite a few Bad News Bears moments. _
    I disagree with that to some extent. Maybe a couple of bad moments but not quite a few. We've came in with less than an error a game. Fontenot has had some issues, partly thanks to not having Justin to bail him out at first at times, though T-Fred is doing well.

Last night was an aberration. Simple as that. It was miles beyond any single game this year. We just looked rusty, like we had only played a couple of games in over a weeks time.

The second Nicholls game and the Southern game were our other bad performances, but still nothing like last night.

You are going to see some inconsistancies day-to-day from part-time amateur athletes. Minimizing the swings of the pendulum are key to a good season. I'll bet the team didn't get back from H'burg until 3AM or 4AM Monday, just in time for a bite to eat before an 8AM class. I'm now ready for the stories of staying up three days straight and functioning fine.

_ I know it's baseball, and a team is going to have a game or two like this during the course of a season, but what is irritating to me is that the Cajuns have made this a pattern for the last 3 or 4 years. From a purely baseball standpoint, I thought this program had advanced beyond this type of situation. However, it is a game being played by young, college student/athletes, and they have more on their minds than just baseball. Hopefully, they can rebound this weekend. _
    Rice just finished 3 game series with Southern Cal and Stanford and, I believe, took 2 out of 3 from SC and swept Stanford. On Tuesday or Wednesday they got beat by Sam Houston State something like 9-2. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ Rice just finished 3 game series with Southern Cal and Stanford and, I believe, took 2 out of 3 from SC and swept Stanford. On Tuesday or Wednesday they got beat by Sam Houston State something like 9-2. Go figure. _

That's college baseball for you.

The only difference, IMHO, is that a team like Rice, due to their conference and SOS, can afford to lose some of those games whereas it is much more difficult for us to lose games against teams like SEMO and still make post season play without having to win your conference tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ Rice just finished 3 game series with Southern Cal and Stanford and, I believe, took 2 out of 3 from SC and swept Stanford. On Tuesday or Wednesday they got beat by Sam Houston State something like 9-2. Go figure. _
    Amen...also Wed....#25 Auburn 2, Bethune Cookman 5
    #28 GA Tech 3, GA State 6
    #7 LSU 10, Miss Valley St. 8 (MVS is 0-9) LSU scored 6 in the 1st and held on.

On Tuesday;

#2 Vanderbilt 6, WKU 5
    #16 Arkansas 6, McNeese 8
    #20 Oregon 3, Portland 5
    #29 Fresno St. 4, Cal Poly 11 (Mighty Mustangs!)

Its midweek...justsayin

B-I-N-G-O!!! It's mid-week college baseball. The purpose is to get your team ready for conference weekends and postseason play. Beside the fact that SLU has a very good team. Now if we continually struggle on the weekends, then it may be time to press the panic button. Until then, take it for what it is.

igeaux.mobi

When I made my comments after driving back from last night's game, I was not panicking or freaking out or anything. I also know that midweek baseball can be turbulent at times.

My comment was simply that we got our butts kicked by SLU for the 6th straight time...that they outplayed us in all facets of the game...and that we didn't seem prepared to play. I also made the comment that it was disappointing that over the last 7 years or so, in all but one or so of those our hitting had struggled to start the season.

igeaux.mobi

I was at the game last night.... here are a few positives and negatives I noticed.

Positives -

Matt Hicks - The kid just gets outs, nuff said. Very bright future. He made a very good SELA lineup uncomfortable from the minute he touched the rubber.

Blake Wascom did a pretty good job of getting out of a jam. He lost a couple and hit some guys but he battled and nothing came back to bite us.

Mike Petello - He made a pretty bad play in the field but I feel confident when he's at the plate in crunch time. He just has a swagger about him. He's gonna be very valuable to us down the stretch.

Negatives -

Fielding, Fielding, Fielding --- Guys, it was embarrassing 2 of the errors did basically no harm; Sinclair was just off on his throws the first few innings. The throw into center was backed up well and I was begging the guy to run. Fuse would have had him hosed.

The error by Poirrier was inexcusable. He literally booted it, he kicked it out of his own glove. He was off balance - these are fundamentals - Getting around the ball (and he had plenty of time to do so)

Petello's error was a much harder play to make, dead sprint to the line but he just alligator armed it. I'm confident it was a flukey play on his part.

We win the game going away without those two errors.

I think we'll be fine - We have a good staff and the bats are coming around. Defense will make or break us every night.

Two boots from a win against a good team on the road on Wednesday. Hicks just gets it, don't he?

UL Baseball Re: UL v.s. SLU

Was at the game Wed night, as poorly as we played at times we were still one swing away from tying it in the 9th. Got out hit but allot more of our outs are loud or line drives that are staying up. Were swinging it better as of late, let's talk turf / dirt infield. Of our 14 errors this year I would say 90% are infield errors on the road (dirt infield). I'm not pointing any fingers, I'm asking do we ever practice on a dirt infield (besides the day before, or day of the road game)? Is this a dumb question ? It's a rhetorical question. I understand about truer hops on turf and the whole home field thing. I'm sure other Ragin Pagers know more about this than I do, Just a thought.

Good points. Yes, we'll be fine. By the end of the season, we'll be the better team...just like last year.

(Just wish we could hit better earlier in the year.)

Quote Originally Posted by seehard View Post
    I was at the game last night.... here are a few positives and negatives I noticed.

Positives -

Matt Hicks - The kid just gets outs, nuff said. Very bright future. He made a very good SELA lineup uncomfortable from the minute he touched the rubber.

Blake Wascom did a pretty good job of getting out of a jam. He lost a couple and hit some guys but he battled and nothing came back to bite us.

Mike Petello - He made a pretty bad play in the field but I feel confident when he's at the plate in crunch time. He just has a swagger about him. He's gonna be very valuable to us down the stretch.

Negatives -

Fielding, Fielding, Fielding --- Guys, it was embarrassing 2 of the errors did basically no harm; Sinclair was just off on his throws the first few innings. The throw into center was backed up well and I was begging the guy to run. Fuse would have had him hosed.

The error by Poirrier was inexcusable. He literally booted it, he kicked it out of his own glove. He was off balance - these are fundamentals - Getting around the ball (and he had plenty of time to do so)

Petello's error was a much harder play to make, dead sprint to the line but he just alligator armed it. I'm confident it was a flukey play on his part.

We win the game going away without those two errors.

I think we'll be fine - We have a good staff and the bats are coming around. Defense will make or break us every night.

igeaux.mobi

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4