Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zappi on Carbon Credits

Default Zappi on Carbon Credits

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    I think the carbon comments were from the gentleman w Verdant Power ("clean" power tech firm).

Zappi's comments were good to geaux.

igeaux.mobi

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Zappi on Carbon Credits

Quote Originally Posted by RaginRash View Post
    _ I think the carbon comments were from the gentleman w Verdant Power ("clean" power tech firm).

Zappi's comments were good to geaux.

igeaux.mobi _
    Very perceptive, Mister Rash!!

"I would strongly encourage them to dramatically increase funding for both basic and applied science in the area of energy both traditional and alternative options. So much of today's global problems and conflicts are rooted in this issue that will only continue to get worst if we do not initiate a major initiative now."
    Mark E. Zappi, Dean of Engineering at University of Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Zeebart21 View Post
    _ Very perceptive, Mister Rash!!

"I would strongly encourage them to dramatically increase funding for both basic and applied science in the area of energy – both traditional and alternative options. So much of today’s global problems and conflicts are rooted in this issue that will only continue to get worst if we do not initiate a major initiative now."
    – Mark E. Zappi, Dean of Engineering at University of Louisiana _
    I think Fun got all excited thinking a sensible fellow like Dr. Zappi would buy into the carbon credit shell game that he pulled the trigger on his post too quickly

Always interesting linkage from UL Today.

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by RaginRash View Post
    _

I think Fun got all excited thinking a sensible fellow like Dr. Zappi would buy into the carbon credit shell game that he pulled the trigger on his post too quickly

Always interesting linkage from UL Today. _
    Buddy, I knew that couldnt be true but was scared to check it out just in case. LOL!

Z

CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Hey...when one of those "wind cars" comes out...CALL ME!

igeaux.mobi

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ Hey...when one of those "wind cars" comes out...CALL ME!

igeaux.mobi _
    Is the president using a wind or solar powered plane to fly his personal trainer in from Chicago each week?

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Energy is the root cause of almost all conflicts now, and in the future.

We need to:

1) Divorce ourselves from foreign oil, ASAP.

2) Drill for every drop of American oil we can find. Expand our refining capability, big tme. It will take several years to get done, but we need to start now.

3) Convert as much of our energy needs today that we can to being derived from NUCLEAR POWER.

While doing the above, continue to research alternative sources of energy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ Is the president using a wind or solar powered plane to fly his personal trainer in from Chicago each week? _

Well said...my good man.

But...how dare you? The lifestyle changes they preach about are for us little people...not for them!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ Energy is the root cause of almost all conflicts now, and in the future.

We need to:

2) Drill for every drop of American oil we can find. Expand our refining capability, big tme. It will take several years to get done, but we need to start now.

3) Convert as much of our energy needs today that we can to being derived from NUCLEAR POWER.

While doing the above, continue to research alternative sources of energy. _
    Did you hit the nail on the head or WHAT?

We need to:

Spot on. This is the ONLY way to go. To add a little to your last sentence, the research for alternative sources for energy should in NO WAY be paid for and/or subsidized by the government.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Zappi on Carbon Credits

We need to:

But, what about the lavender-striped, t-crested spotted amoeba? WHAT HAPPENS TO IT AFTER WE DO ALL THIS DRILLING!?!

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    But, what about the lavender-striped, t-crested spotted amoeba? WHAT HAPPENS TO IT AFTER WE DO ALL THIS DRILLING!?!

we don't have to hunt them down to feed our starving families..

We can hunt then for sport.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    _ Spot on. This is the ONLY way to go. To add a little to your last sentence, the research for alternative sources for energy should in NO WAY be paid for and/or subsidized by the government. _
    Agree with what has been said except for this point. I think it is completely arguable that it is in the nation's national security interests to spend money on research for alternative sources of energy.

Therefore, I don't mind paying taxes for it. However, in the meantime, we should not limit the energy resources that we have available to us. Namely oil.

Also, many of the alternative energy research would be done in public universities. So, the states are already subsidizing some of that research.

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    _ But, what about the lavender-striped, t-crested spotted amoeba? WHAT HAPPENS TO IT AFTER WE DO ALL THIS DRILLING!?! _
    Just to play devil's advocate here, its a little more than just spotted amoeba. We came dangerously close to wiping out our fishing industry and coastal life during the last spill.

I freely admit that oil exploration and drilling is an inherently risky business. I also would proudly put the oil and gas companies safety records up against any other company in the world. However last time there was a mistake many Human suffered. Not some rare piece of bio diversity. So the stakes have changed slightly. IMO.

However, I do think we should be drilling as much as possible when warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    We came dangerously close to wiping out our fishing industry and coastal life during the last spill.
    Let's not get carried away now.

I heard the amount of oil spilled from the Horizon in comparison to the amount of water in the Gulf was the equivalent of pouring a 16 ounce beer into a Superdome filled with water.

How could that possibly wipe out an entire fishing industry and all coastal life?

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Zappi on Carbon Credits

_ Let's not get carried away now.

I heard the amount of oil spilled from the Horizon in comparison to the amount of water in the Gulf was the equivalent of pouring a 16 ounce beer into a Superdome filled with water.

How could that possibly wipe out an entire fishing industry and all coastal life? _

Damage to the wetlands, and coastal areas. Highly toxic OIL IS. Let's admit it, the Feds were lazy, and BP has a history of being a bad coporate citizen. No doubt we still need to be drilling, and companies like BP need to be punished, but more to the point the heads of companies like BP should be punished, not some poor Brit hoping for a little dividend to subsidize their paltry government pension.

_ Let's not get carried away now.

How could that possibly wipe out an entire fishing industry and all coastal life? _
    The specific places where it hit in coastal LA, where many people could not go fishing and lost significant amounts of money is very different than pretending its only some insignificant amoeba that may be hurt. That is all I'm saying.

The repercussions of any accident, even though the odds of them are infinitesimally small are more serious than an amoeba was my point. Look at the fishing industry in Alaska after the Valdez. It is almost not existent now.

Also, while the spill compared to the whole of the gulf of Mexico may be small, you have to admit that at the point of the spill where the oil was most concentrated more serious damage may occur. Oil is not like beer into a Superdome full of water where it will peacefully dissolve into the mass. By its character oil stays together and wildlife in the way are affected. While, I appreciate wildlife for wildlife, I understand that many are not as sensitive to the plight of animals as humans, and can respect that, but in coastal LA, many human livelihoods are tied to wildlife, that was my only point.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Zappi on Carbon Credits

We need to:

I got news for you. Look at the numbers. You will NEVER DIVORCE ourselves from foreign oil. It will take a long time to get there!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lafitte the Pirate View Post
    I got news for you. Look at the numbers. You will NEVER DIVORCE ourselves from foreign oil. It will take a long time to get there!!
    My point, Lafitte, is that ZERO use of foreign oil should be the goal, and we should be doing everything in our power to get there.

It will take decades, but we CAN and SHOULD do this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast