Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: A Big Name candidate will only work IF ...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,536
    Blog Entries
    2

    UL Football A Big Name candidate will only work IF ...

    A Big Name candidate will only work IF ... he has a big recruiting year in year one, and he goes to a bowl.

    The luster of a Big Name will not last through a losing season, so for this reason I suggest hiring a program builder from a FCS school.


  2. #2
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    15,019
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A Big Name candidate will only work IF ...

    Sorry Turbine... far too simplistic of an argument.

    The "big name" candidate may have gotten his big name from being a program builder. The FCS candidate may be a great recruiter of "useful talent" and how to apply them. There are tradeoffs no matter what route we take. If the answer were simple, we wouldn't have such a healthy amount of splitting hairs on this forum over the topic.

    What do we mean by "big name" at UL anyway. I consider some FCS guys to be a big name in certain football circuits. I consider some BCS coordinators to be borrowing their bigness from the bigness of the programs they are currently in a parasitic relationship with.

    The only component of your argument that I agree with is how fans will treat these two disparate types of coaches. Fans will not give a "big name"... BCS affiliated guy as much time. A younger guy from the FCS will be granted a little more time to orchestrate his program. I think maybe two weeks more time.... give a day or two.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,274
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A Big Name candidate will only work IF ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ A Big Name candidate will only work IF ... he has a big recruiting year in year one, and he goes to a bowl.

    The luster of a Big Name will not last through a losing season, so for this reason I suggest hiring a program builder from a FCS school. _
    Turbine, there is true formula for success in the SBC. But here is how it has played out in the SBC for coaching hires:

    Middle Tenn.- Coach Stockstill (Florida State) Bowl Games
    Troy- Coach Blakeney (Auburn) Bowl Games
    FIU- Coach Christabol (Miami) Bowl Game 2010
    FAU- Coach Schnellenberger (Miami-Louisville) Bowl Games
    USA- Coach Jones (Birmingham-Southern)
    ASU- Coach Roberts (Northwestern State) 1 Bowl -Fired
    NT- Coach Dickey (SMU, UTEP, LSU,Miss. St) Bowl Games - Dodge (High School) Fired
    WKU- Coach Taggert (Stanford)
    ULM- Coach Weatherbie (Navy) Fired - Coach Berry (UNLV)
    UL- Coach Bustle (Virginia Tech) Fired

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    57

    Default Re: A Big Name candidate will only work IF ...

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ Turbine, there is true formula for success in the SBC. But here is how it has played out in the SBC for coaching hires:

    Middle Tenn.- Coach Stockstill (Florida State) Bowl Games
    Troy- Coach Blakeney (Auburn) Bowl Games
    FIU- Coach Christabol (Miami) Bowl Game 2010
    FAU- Coach Schnellenberger (Miami-Louisville) Bowl Games
    USA- Coach Jones (Birmingham-Southern)
    ASU- Coach Roberts (Northwestern State) 1 Bowl -Fired
    NT- Coach Dickey (SMU, UTEP, LSU,Miss. St) Bowl Games - Dodge (High School) Fired
    WKU- Coach Taggert (Stanford)
    ULM- Coach Weatherbie (Navy) Fired - Coach Berry (UNLV)
    UL- Coach Bustle (Virginia Tech) Fired _
    Played at" and "coached by" might play a significant role in determining success as well?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,274
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A Big Name candidate will only work IF ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Phant View Post
    _ "Played at" and "coached by" might play a significant role in determining success as well? _
    And recruiting at as well. Notice most of these coaches with success have taken jobs in states they worked in and recruited for BCS programs. Stockstill didn't recruit Tenn. at Florida State, but he is recruiting in Florida for MTU. They all had a recognized name in the base recruiting area when they where hired.

  6. #6
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    15,019
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A Big Name candidate will only work IF ...

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ And recruiting at as well. Notice most of these coaches with success have taken jobs in states they worked in and recruited for BCS programs. Stockstill didn't recruit Tenn. at Florida State, but he is recruiting in Florida for MTU. They all had a recognized name in the base recruiting area when they where hired. _
    T, I understood this to be your evaluation of Orgeron for UL. What other candidates are in our interviewing process that fit this criteria for UL?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    8,103

    Default Re: A Big Name candidate will only work IF ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ T, I understood this to be your evaluation of Orgeron for UL. What other candidates are in our interviewing process that fit this criteria for UL? _

    Hudspeth, Jenkins, Both coaches from Oklahoma State especially Deforrest

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    8,274
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: A Big Name candidate will only work IF ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ T, I understood this to be your evaluation of Orgeron for UL. What other candidates are in our interviewing process that fit this criteria for UL? _
    Hudspeth (Miss,Ala. Fla.), Brewer (Tex (Dallas north, OK) Deforest (Tex), Pellini (Tex)and Crowton(Tx,La) as well.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    590

    Default Re: A Big Name candidate will only work IF ...

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ Hudspeth (Miss,Ala. Fla.), Brewer (Tex (Dallas north, OK) Deforest (Tex), Pellini (Tex)and Crowton(Tx,La) as well. _
    i'd take any one of those as our next coach except crowton.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,248

    Default Re: A Big Name candidate will only work IF ...

    Overlooking a very important name:
    Louis Cook (Rayne, Crowley)

    JUST KIDDING!


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    17,536
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: A Big Name candidate will only work IF ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ Sorry Turbine... far too simplistic of an argument.
    I am referring to their ability to attract recruits.

    A Big Name candidate will only work IF ... he has a big recruiting year in year one, and he goes to a bowl.

    The luster of a Big Name will not last through a losing season, so for this reason I suggest hiring a program builder from a FCS school.

    OK I would eliminate successful head coaches at FBS programs from the discussion, they may be the only "Big Names" who could handle the wear of a few bad seasons but they are not applying.

    My idea of Big Names is Coordinators from nationally ranked teams who will have to keep part of the existing staff just to learn the ropes of being a head coach.

    I do not consider any coach from an FCS school a big name even though they are my preference.

    Now if you can find a big name that used to be a head coach I'm good with that.

    But if you only claim to fame is you last boss was very good the luster of your resume will wear off after one bad season. And I am talking about recruiting ability.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    In a van down by the river.
    Posts
    4,742

    Default Re: A Big Name candidate will only work IF ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ A Big Name candidate will only work IF ... he has a big recruiting year in year one, and he goes to a bowl.

    The luster of a Big Name will not last through a losing season, so for this reason I suggest hiring a program builder from a FCS school. _
    Tommy Bowden turned around Tulane into a top ten school in what seemed like a year but he soon booked it to greener pastures.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    24

    Default Re: A Big Name candidate will only work IF ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Damon View Post
    _ Overlooking a very important name:
    Louis Cook (Rayne, Crowley)

    JUST KIDDING! _
    I wouldn't necessarily be kidding. Wasn't he kinda, sorta the heir apparent under Stokely until he got tired waiting? Also, if we were to move to the FCS, maybe he would then be perceived as a better fit.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    590

    Default Re: A Big Name candidate will only work IF ...

    Quote Originally Posted by jayrr View Post
    _ I wouldn't necessarily be kidding. Wasn't he kinda, sorta the heir apparent under Stokely until he got tired waiting? Also, if we were to move to the FCS, maybe he would then be perceived as a better fit. _
    again..... no. take your FCS dreams somewhere else because they are not wanted or welcome here.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    8,103

    Default Re: A Big Name candidate will only work IF ...

    Quote Originally Posted by jayrr View Post
    _ I wouldn't necessarily be kidding. Wasn't he kinda, sorta the heir apparent under Stokely until he got tired waiting? Also, if we were to move to the FCS, maybe he would then be perceived as a better fit. _

    You are right, it would be perceived as a better fit and that is exactly what we DON'T want. Lou Cook would make a very solid coordinator but I am not for his hire in a head capacity. For the money that the administration is looking to spend for a new coach, we can get someone more qualified to run a D-1 program with much more history and a track record than coach Cook. I presume you feel that we should move to FCS. Maybe you could give me 3 factual reasons as to your conclusion. I'm curious to speak with anybody out there who thinks this is a beneficial move on our part. I'm not trying to start a long debate but truly am interested in the reasonings.

    BTW, Cook is not coming anywhere near this staff. He's perfectly content where he is and there are certain groups in the Crowley area that will make sure they do what is necessary to keep him there, I can assure you that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •