Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: UL (23) FAU (24)

Default Re: UL (0) FAU (14)

Right call. He had nothing to lose. I don't understand why you guys are surprised?

My opposition to the call was that there was still 1:45 left on the clock. Even if you make it, you are not guaranteed the win. If you don't, the game is all but over. I know we got 2 onsides agaisnt Ohio, but your odds are still not good.

It wasn't the right call. This was different than the ohio game. In that game, we couldn't stop ohio. Here, we stopped fau except for the 1st few minutes. We would have won this game in OT, no doubt about it.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Agreed, if this were a home game, then I would expect the kick. On the road you go for the win.
    I'm with you. Nothing wrong with that call other than the results.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.

igeaux.mobi

I certainly understand the decision to go for it - and that we didn't make it certainly makes it easier to think it was a bad one - but I don't begrudge the "nothing to lose" mentality, and we've on more than one occasion lost a game under Bustle because we got too lax and somebody came from behind, leaving us complaining about not having a killer instinct.

That said, while I certainly feel bad for the players and coaches, each loss we get from here to the end is just another nail in the coffin. I don't want us to lose, and I don't want players and coaches to ever give up or not want to win, but it's just another step towards the inevitable at this point. Hopefully a bright future ahead, because comparatively speaking, the cupboard is pretty well-stocked for Bustle's successor in relation to how his predecessor left it for him.

Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

It really doesn't matter at this point, but I think the 2 point conversion "on the road" rule gets trumped by a first time starter at QB. IMO

UL Football Re: UL (0) FAU (14)

Blaine played well. He will have to play really well against FIU!!!
    I don't see how our defense will slow down their offense.
    They moved at will against Troy.
    The seniors deserved better!
    I will be there Saturday to see them for the last time at Cajun Field.
    Go Cajuns!

Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    Hopefully a bright future ahead, because comparatively speaking, the cupboard is pretty well-stocked for Bustle's successor in relation to how his predecessor left it for him. _
    What you said.

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    _ Blaine played well. He will have to play really well against FIU!!!
    I don't see how our defense will slow down their offense.
    They moved at will against Troy.
    The seniors deserved better!
    I will be there Saturday to see them for the last time at Cajun Field.
    Go Cajuns! _
    You, me and about 4998 others.

I wanted a tie up. I think the greater chance of a W was with that choice. Not surprised by the 2pt choice. Coaches have nothing to lose.

I don't understand why so many people think it's a good call to go for it in that situation. You only go for it for 1 of 4 reasons:

1. You don't have faith that your offense can score from the 25.
    2. You don't have faith that your defense can stop them from the 25.
    3. You're Boise St, and you have a play in mind that has a 100% chance of succeeding.
    4. Your kicker can't kick a 20 yard field goal.

Your team has put in sweat, pain and tears. Sacrificed all year long. Given you everything they could. If it comes down to one play at the end, so be it. But why force that? Give yourself the best odds at winning the football game. That's overtime. Not one play.

So sick of this bullcrap. Tired of being a laughing stock. FIU won the conference before we did (this year, or will at least). So will WKU. Texas State will win the WAC before we ever win the Sun Belt.

Since our grades are fine, what's our excuse for keeping a coach that goes 2-10? Don't you want to be better than this, Louisiana Or do you enjoy the pub of the bottom 10? Hey, it's ESPN, after all. Just simply bullcrap. Coming from someone with a college education, that's the only word I have to describe it. Maybe someone with a master's can help me. Bullcrap.

Everyone needs to calm down about the 2 point conversion. It's a debatable call, period. It wasn't a mortal sin.

2-8 on the other hand...
    igeaux.mobi

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ragin91cajun View Post
    My opposition to the call was that there was still 1:45 left on the clock. Even if you make it, you are not guaranteed the win. If you don't, the game is all but over. I know we got 2 onsides agaisnt Ohio, but your odds are still not good.
    The amount of time is the big thing, going for two is a no time left/players have nothing left in the tank option in my opinion. A one point lead does nothing with that much time on the clock, if you have that much confidence in your defense with 1:45 let them do it for you in overtime. Still I wish Bustle had coached like this for nine years.

Quote Originally Posted by ULtimateCajun View Post
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. igeaux.mobi
    True Dat!

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ It really doesn't matter at this point, but I think the 2 point conversion "on the road" rule gets trumped by a first time starter at QB. IMO _
    Yeah I think if Blaine had been given more real series all year where he was used as a real quarterback or at least if he had more than 23 passes all year to go with his 37 thrown last night. UL wins the game.

Bottom line: Too inexperienced, too much time on the clock, I applaud the aggressive coaching but it exposed the lack of aggressive coaching for the last nine years. Still it could have worked and I would be excited for last night.

As is I am excited with all the experience UL will have at the QB position next year.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4