Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 61 to 74 of 74

Thread: UL vs NMSU

  1. #61
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,578

    Default Re: UL vs NMSU

    Wow, just seeing the score this morning. I thought the Cajuns would show up a little better than that. I guess we can't expect too much at this point. Still have a ways to go and it's only the 1st game.


  2. #62
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    4,670

    Default Re: UL vs NMSU

    Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    _ Wow, just seeing the score this morning. I thought the Cajuns would show up a little better than that. I guess we can't expect too much at this point. Still have a ways to go and it's only the 1st game. _
    They did show up better. You're just looking at the final score. This game wouldn't have been close if a change wouldn't have been made from the prior season. I really liked what I saw out of the team's play last night. Lots hustle, working to find the open man and shot. This team will surprise a lot of people this season.

  3. #63
    CajunRed's Avatar
    CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    8,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Wow, just seeing the score this morning. I thought the Cajuns would show up a little better than that. I guess we can't expect too much at this point. Still have a ways to go and it's only the 1st game.
    You had to be there to... 1) see how hard they played and how close it was till late when the fact that we were outmanned caught up with us...and 2) how recruiting over the past 3 or 4 years had let this program down. The difference in talent level (overall) was huge...particularly inside where they had 3 or 4 big men better than ANY of ours.

    Trust, though, Coach Marlin will fix that in the next couple of years of recruiting.



    igeaux.mobi

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,201

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    You had to be there to... 1) see how hard they played and how close it was till late when the fact that we were outmanned caught up with us...and 2) how recruiting over the past 3 or 4 years had let this program down. The difference in talent level (overall) was huge...particularly inside where they had 3 or 4 big men better than ANY of ours.

    Trust, though, Coach Marlin will fix that in the next couple of years of recruiting.



    igeaux.mobi
    I really liked what I saw last night out of the team. I think we'll do very well in the sunbelt.


    igeaux.mobi

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,431

    Default Re: UL vs NMSU

    Here was the problem last night.

    Due to Andrews injury, we did not have a PG, or questionably, our best perimeter defensive players.

    Also, due to recruiting, we do not have a 5 man. Its really upsetting that Cobly, Javon, and Courtney were not able to get anything done. With that being said we played against some really talented big guys last night.

    You have to remember. This team is trying to figure out how to do 3 things.

    1) Play hard
    2) Play with each other (half of these guys had different teammates a year ago).
    3) Run a new system. (Which still was not great last night, but will get better over time).


  6. #66
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    15,999

    Default Re: UL vs NMSU

    I sat pretty close to courtside last night, NMSU is a huge huge team. My god just seeing those guys dwarf ours was shocking. Plus, they shoot the lights out. We played tough, but we left too many points on the court, couldn't finish buckets. We had our chances and couldn't get it done. I love the Perez kid, gonna be a good player. We have some good talent, NMSU and their International group of hard to pronounce last names was just too much for us. That's an NCAA tournament team we were watching last night. We will only get better, the SBC better be on high alert, Marlin and his group are coming and they won't go quietly. I liked the defense, we played like aggitated badgers on defense, left guys open in the blocks and open for the threes but they will get it down before conference play begins.


  7. #67
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Eunice, LA
    Posts
    1,702

    Default Re: Game time updates please

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ 5 minutes into the game, NMSU 8 UL 7. Looks like there is no attendance. If there are 1,500 I'd be very surprised. That is horrible for the first game. What excuses are there for this one? _
    The final count was 3,488! I made a guess of 3,500. You stand corrected.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Eunice, LA
    Posts
    1,702

    Default Re: UL vs NMSU

    Speaking of NMSU players from foreign countries, only four NMSU players are from USofA. Two are New Mexico natives, one is from Mass., I think, and one is from Cheneyville,La. The rest of the NMSU team has players from Canada, S Africa and other African nations.

    All in all I felt we competed fairly well. They still are not totally in sync offensively and defensively. If this had been last year no telling what the final score woul've been. I, also, feel that we will be a presence in the SBC.

    As a side note, the Perez fellow has the quickest shootin release I can ever recall.


  9. #69
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,666

    Default Re: Game time updates please

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ igeaux.mobi

    3200 is not good. _
    Probably the best opening day crowd in years. Probably would be a top 5 crowd at any game the last 2- 3 years.

  10. #70
    raginsaints's Avatar
    raginsaints is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,057

    Default Re: UL vs NMSU

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunCharlie View Post
    _ Speaking of NMSU players from foreign countries, only four NMSU players are from USofA. Two are New Mexico natives, one is from Mass., I think, and one is from Cheneyville,La. The rest of the NMSU team has players from Canada, S Africa and other African nations.

    All in all I felt we competed fairly well. They still are not totally in sync offensively and defensively. If this had been last year no telling what the final score woul've been. I, also, feel that we will be a presence in the SBC.

    As a side note, the Perez fellow has the quickest shootin release I can ever recall. _

    They did have one player with a New Iberia haircut.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,578

    Default Re: UL vs NMSU

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunRed View Post
    _ You had to be there to... 1) see how hard they played and how close it was till late when the fact that we were outmanned caught up with us...and 2) how recruiting over the past 3 or 4 years had let this program down. The difference in talent level (overall) was huge...particularly inside where they had 3 or 4 big men better than ANY of ours.

    Trust, though, Coach Marlin will fix that in the next couple of years of recruiting.



    igeaux.mobi _
    Well, I understand it can be somewhat misleading just looking at the score. I was thinking the outcome would have been closer. However, it's great to hear how the team played and the effort given. I believe Coach Marlin will get us there. I think NMSU may be a good team, but they are not a top 20 team, and we were at home, which is a huge advantage in college basketball, more so than football.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    2,741

    Default Re: UL vs NMSU

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    _ I sat pretty close to courtside last night, NMSU is a huge huge team. My god just seeing those guys dwarf ours was shocking. Plus, they shoot the lights out. We played tough, but we left too many points on the court, couldn't finish buckets. We had our chances and couldn't get it done. I love the Perez kid, gonna be a good player. We have some good talent, NMSU and their International group of hard to pronounce last names was just too much for us. That's an NCAA tournament team we were watching last night. We will only get better, the SBC better be on high alert, Marlin and his group are coming and they won't go quietly. I liked the defense, we played like aggitated badgers on defense, left guys open in the blocks and open for the threes but they will get it down before conference play begins. _


    Every time New Mexico State made a sub and the name was announced a guy sitting close to me would say "what is this, the Nigerian National Team?". That team had nothing to do with New Mexico. I think it may not be long before all of the real good college teams are "Foreign". I'm beginning to wonder if American College Sports really have anything to do with educating Americans. Sorry, just some thoughts I had while watching the game last night.

  13. #73
    Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    5,852

    Default Re: UL vs NMSU

    Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    _ Well, I understand it can be somewhat misleading just looking at the score. I was thinking the outcome would have been closer. However, it's great to hear how the team played and the effort given. I believe Coach Marlin will get us there. I think NMSU may be a good team, but they are not a top 20 team, and we were at home, which is a huge advantage in college basketball, more so than football. _
    Interesting comment by Coach Marlin in the paper. He was upset that when things got tough, our guys did not fight through the situation as well as he would have liked. I thought that when we pressed in the 2nd half we should have left at least one big guy to protect the basket. I know we were trying to go with quickness to force turnovers. However, when you give up so many dunks when they break your press, the other team will shoot a hig %. Giving up 18 of 23 shots made is unacceptable. Transition defense needs to improve quite a bit for us to reach our potential. I was encourage by offense other than the turnovers. I agree that not having Andrews hurts. When will he be back?

  14. #74

    Default Re: UL vs NMSU

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    _ Interesting comment by Coach Marlin in the paper. He was upset that when things got tough, our guys did not fight through the situation as well as he would have liked. I thought that when we pressed in the 2nd half we should have left at least one big guy to protect the basket. I know we were trying to go with quickness to force turnovers. However, when you give up so many dunks when they break your press, the other team will shoot a hig %. Giving up 18 of 23 shots made is unacceptable. Transition defense needs to improve quite a bit for us to reach our potential. I was encourage by offense other than the turnovers. I agree that not having Andrews hurts. When will he be back? _
    Marlin said that he hopes to have Thomas and Andrews back before the rematch with New Mexico State on Dec. 21.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •