Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Pride of Acadiana

Default Re: Pride of Acadiana

As a former pride member myself, I don't like the name pride of louisiana. I don't like what the band does during games either, but PA announcements suck and so does DJ music, but nothing will change until they have more funds and more support to be an actual football game band and not just a large pep band at football games. I would rather hear fight song over and over again over that dammmmned ESPN song. But what do I know?

But back to the name...pride of acadiana just feels better to me. Sorry!

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by CajunsHat View Post
    _ As a former pride member myself, I don't like the name pride of louisiana. I don't like what the band does during games either, but PA announcements suck and so does DJ music, but nothing will change until they have more funds and more support to be an actual football game band and not just a large pep band at football games. I would rather hear fight song over and over again over that dammmmned ESPN song. But what do I know?

igeaux.mobi _

JMO, but IF we were Acadiana University, the Pride of Acadiana would make sense. Acadiana in nowhere to be found in our name. We are the University of Louisiana. Why should our band's name be anything but the Pride of Louisiana?

the human jukebox might have something to say about that!! j/k

Quote Originally Posted by CajunsHat View Post
    _ As a former pride member myself, I don't like the name pride of louisiana. I don't like what the band does during games either, but PA announcements suck and so does DJ music, but nothing will change until they have more funds and more support to be an actual football game band and not just a large pep band at football games. I would rather hear fight song over and over again over that dammmmned ESPN song. But what do I know?

igeaux.mobi _
    I am a former pride member myself and, in fact, when I was a student the school was known as USL.

But I am concerned that the band is half the size that it was when I was there and like you said, the band has been "benched" to a large degree in favor of other things that cast a negative light on the band. I think things have to change to attract more members, and I also think that it would be helpful for the band to change its nickname from a regional tag to one that suggests it's larger in size and scope for the same reason the university itself did.

I've come to the conclusion that while it is our alma mater, it's not about us as much as it is about attracting a new generation of band members and followers to carry on the tradition. You need to be open to new ideas in order to adjust to changing needs.

i never said i wasnt open to new ideas. I am very open to alot of changes for the band, but i just PREFER the one now. I never said anything negative about changing the name, i was just stating an opinion on the name, but the other info was actual facts about our band. and i do think the quality and size of the band has gone down because of what style of music we play and persona we have.

As a Lafayette High alum as well, i was a member of the band @ LHS for 4 years, and we had a blast in that band...and anyone who knows anything about LHS Mighty Lion Marching Band, knows that the band is VERY disciplined. The band knows when to stand up, play, what song to play, etc...and if the band isnt ready, Mr. Walker (the LHS band director) will give u the look of death and go off on you when the chance comes (mostly in private/band room). so, with that said...i think the band needs more discipline and guidance to become a more respectable band. the band size peeked when we went to the Macy's Thanksgiving parade, free trip for every band member...the year after, the band was about 1/2 the size. if the band would aim for higher standards and promote the band more around the state, we might see more band members and better performances. Right now, high school band members do not have much of an incintive to join POA, besides about $700 stipend... but they travel to know more than 1 away game (usually in the state...LSU, ULM, LaTech, etc...) so, pretty much as a UL band member, you rehearse a ton of hours to only have about 5-7 performances and then have people on these boards (i am guilty as well sometimes too) to bash the band and performances...

just on a side note.....

How many people on this board actually attend the Pre-game performance???

Does everyone on this board know the band performs before the game begins???

now...i am not a fan of the school in BR, but how many fans love when THEIR band enters the field to perform PREGAME??? simple things like that make band members feel appreciated....

Lets get ready for B-Ball season guys!!!

Geaux Cajuns

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2