Thread: 2010 RCAF Tour Concludes (Synopsis)

Default 2010 RCAF Tour Concludes (Synopsis)

The Master of Ceremonies was Ken Ardoin, and among those in attendance were the University President Dr. Savoie and most of the coaches. His joke about speeding on a Texas highway and risking getting a ticket to catch up with that rare car out of state that had an RCAF sticker to say "Hi" was his way of saying that we need to achieve more recognition beyond the friendly confines of Acadiana. He recognized coaches who were not going to speak. Attendees left their business cards at the registration table and door prizes were drawn from those cards after each coach's presentation. A couple of prize winners were not present and Coach Marlin suggested that you need to be present to win. That was his way of saying that we need a broader support base actively engaged in UL athletics.

Dr. Savoie discussed the benefits of successful major college athletics to a university and said the private sector was needed to supplement funding due to the ever-present threat of budget cuts. He discussed the improvements on campus that have taken place in recent years, those currently underway, and those on tap for the immediate future. The most notable improvements are the renovation of Girard Hall, Burke Hall, Fletcher Hall, and an overall cleaner and attractive campus than many of us remember from years ago. The library now has a coffee shop, and has become more functional for today's student. He's hoping to beautify the area around Cypress Lake with an expanded, renovated Student Union and wants to get rid of some of the older, less attractive buildings. The overwhelming majority of students in Acadiana that attend college go to UL. The largest-ever Freshman class has checked in. Scholastic performance is increasing. Student housing is continually upgraded and is doubling in size. Dr. Savoie concluded that a University competes for blue chip students, not just blue chip athletes. One of the most memorable things he said (in so many words) was that a sporting event might be the only way some people find out about UL and develop an interest in learning all about it.

Scott Farmer discussed the facility improvements of the last three years and showed us artist's renditions of planned upgrades, with the speed of completion being dependent on the level of participation in the RCAF. The crown jewel of recent accomplishments was the practice facility. A firm has been contracted to go out into the community to sell tickets to sporting events to increase attendance. No conference aspirations were discussed, but clearly his purpose in the presentation was to help us build a means to that end. He said that the details may change by the time actual construction takes place as needs develop.

Rickey Bustle spoke and elaborated on how the facilities had improved in his 8 years here. First, he thanked those who attended the ASU game in the heat. He said that no coach is embarrassed any more to show off UL's facilities.

Bob Marlin looks forward to turning the basketball program around and his speech was largely motivational. He said one sign that things are getting better is that the parents of one recruit turned off the Saints game on TV to talk about UL.

Tony Robichaux possibly made the most illuminating speech of all the coaches, saying that a 13-year-old kid has already committed to Southern California and that recruits through online outlets like YouTube and Twitter have already made a virtual tour of your campus before contact has been made and there is an opportunity to sell the kid on your school. His 17-year-old son, before entering college, has played organized baseball in 10 major college stadiums. The message: the facilities have to be up to standards if there is hope to land the kind of student-athlete you want. There is no comparison between college athletics today and college athletics when he entered the coaching profession 17 years ago.

Stefni Lotief discussed the legacy that softball has had at UL and highlighted the major academic as well as athletic accomplishments of past players. There are no multimillion dollar professional sports contracts awaiting them after graduation, so their impact has been felt most in the community. The recruiting base is Louisiana first, then neighboring states.

RCAF President John Bordelon wrapped up the meeting with a call for action. He said everybody in the room needed to be multiplied by 5 in terms of attending next year's meeting and contributing. Again, the underlying message was that the timing and the level of private support can dictate when and to what degree these projects can move.

A Program Builders form was passed out to each person in attendance. It is a private means of raising money for nutritional supplements for football players. Funds raised are deposited into the RCAF (earmarked for football supplements). The suggested donation is $200, which is the cost per athlete. The program is in its third year and has been very successful.

--

I thought it was an honest presentation. I attended for two reasons. First, the out of town trip I was supposed to take was postponed and second, I wanted to gauge whether there was a strategic plan to accomplish these goals or they were just throwing out plans and hoping that someday everything would fall together. About 25-30 years ago I was spending some free time in the UL Library and saw an alumni publication from 1959 with an artist's drawing of a 40,000-seat football stadium and dreams of major college status that then-SLI aspired for themselves. That was 51 years ago and we still haven't seen it. If I see those football renovations in the next five years and the seating capacity is in the 50,000-seat range I'll be excited. This is really the first time any real effort was made to try to sell me on a vision, and frankly I held out until I received one before I responded. I was motivated to become an RCAF member for the first time, because I was shown something more concrete than a brochure to consider. I would like this presentation to be taken to the community at large (rather than requiring the community to come to them), where some fans who got discouraged in the past and developed other interests can have a chance to fall in love all over again.

Bottom line, I don't think we can stay where we are. In my opinion we're past the Southland Conference stage in terms of a well-rounded athletic program, but we have another barrier to crash before solidifying our hold on major college status. For the first time I was presented a way that could all become possible. I enlisted. How about you?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Synopsis of the RCAF tour in Lafayette 09/15/2010

5 Stars

Thanks, I have never read a better review.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Synopsis of the RCAF tour in Lafayette 09/15/2010

CaliCajun,

I have been a big advocate for our coaches (in the off-season) and adminstrators to address civic organizations in Acadiana. The Junior League of Lafayette will at the same time as MTSU game hold the largest fundraising event in Lafayette. These members are business women & soccer moms. Both of these demographic sectors have & control $$$$$$$$$$$. RCAF $$$$ could be in the household budget. Young Ragin Cajun Club sales opportunities.

There are the Lions, Kiwanis, Rotarians and any other club that would like to hear UL's story throughout southwest LA whose members are alumni, business leaders and movers & shakers.

Most people want "to belong". We must take that opportunity.

BirdofParadise is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by California Cajun View Post
    That is perhaps the most informative post I've ever read here. Excellent job, Angels Fan.

What happened to the improvment at the soccer/track facility? I thought we had approval to build a new locker room and offices there.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunbrian2004 View Post
    _ What happened to the improvment at the soccer/track facility? I thought we had approval to build a new locker room and offices there. _
    I think that is what he means when he says field house. In his list of improvements. From the people I know who attended the meeting they said that was the next thing to happen.

RACK HIM !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BirdofParadise View Post
    _ That is perhaps the most informative post I've ever read here. Excellent job, Angels Fan. _
    Thank you.

BeauCajun is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

_ Thank you. _
    Welcome back Cali.

That was a great re-cap. Very informative. While most, if not all, who attended, or who post here, contribute monitarily on a regular basis, the main focus needs to be on the vastly untapped surrounding communities and alum who have left the state. Unfortunately, I think the only way to do this is to win. There are still too many people who are not engaged and who still see UL as a "joke" on the athletic field, at least in football. I don't agree with this, but when we look as bad as we did against Georgia, the tendency is for people to say, "You see. Same old Cajuns." I really like what the University is doing right now, and although it has taken way to long, at least it is finally being done. Once we start winning in football and basketball again, I believe the money will come rolling in. I think we have a great new basketball coach in Coach Marlin and believe he will get us back to national prominence. As far as football, I truly think Coach Bustle has reached his ceiling. I appreciate what he has done, but I believe this will be his final year. However, I do believe that all it will take is that one season of 7-4 with a bowl win to propel the football program. Maybe this is the year.

Anyway, just my .2. Things are truly looking up for Cajun athletics.

The hardest thing to change in life is perception. The only way to do it is strong, unwavering leadership with a definite vision. Winning will be a by-product of this, but yes, winning is the other most important variable in the equation. Finally, I think we're taking steps in the right direction. The presentation was very exciting, and I can't say enough about the men who coach our athletic programs. Truly classy individuals. IMO, Bobby Marlin is going to be a huge cog in this new regime, and most importantly, I think he relishes that opportunity. Tony is a wise old sage that sees this new direction we're headed in as a well deserved result; result of loyalty to a great school and community. These guys make me proud to be affiliated with UL, and I have to tell you guys, its time.. Time to put up or shut up. No matter what the cause, the people in position to make a change in perception are primed to do so, and they're all but begging us to do our part.. Our time has come. Don't be hypocrites.. Give, Give, Give. Give till it hurts.. and then give some more. Lets turn the SOB around!

I forgot how well you write JA, thanks for sharing the recap.

The Master of Ceremonies was Ken Ardoin, and among those in attendance were the University President Dr. Savoie and most of the coaches. His joke about speeding on a Texas highway and risking getting a ticket to catch up with that rare car out of state that had an RCAF sticker to say "Hi" was his way of saying that we need to achieve more recognition beyond the friendly confines of Acadiana. He recognized coaches who were not going to speak. Attendees left their business cards at the registration table and door prizes were drawn from those cards after each coach's presentation. A couple of prize winners were not present and Coach Marlin suggested that you need to be present to win. That was his way of saying that we need a broader support base actively engaged in UL athletics.

Dr. Savoie discussed the benefits of successful major college athletics to a university and said the private sector was needed to supplement funding due to the ever-present threat of budget cuts. He discussed the improvements on campus that have taken place in recent years, those currently underway, and those on tap for the immediate future. The most notable improvements are the renovation of Girard Hall, Burke Hall, Fletcher Hall, and an overall cleaner and attractive campus than many of us remember from years ago. The library now has a coffee shop, and has become more functional for today's student. He's hoping to beautify the area around Cypress Lake with an expanded, renovated Student Union and wants to get rid of some of the older, less attractive buildings. The overwhelming majority of students in Acadiana that attend college go to UL. The largest-ever Freshman class has checked in. Scholastic performance is increasing. Student housing is continually upgraded and is doubling in size. Dr. Savoie concluded that a University competes for blue chip students, not just blue chip athletes. One of the most memorable things he said (in so many words) was that a sporting event might be the only way some people find out about UL and develop an interest in learning all about it.

Scott Farmer discussed the facility improvements of the last three years and showed us artist's renditions of planned upgrades, with the speed of completion being dependent on the level of participation in the RCAF. The crown jewel of recent accomplishments was the practice facility. A firm has been contracted to go out into the community to sell tickets to sporting events to increase attendance. No conference aspirations were discussed, but clearly his purpose in the presentation was to help us build a means to that end. He said that the details may change by the time actual construction takes place as needs develop.

Rickey Bustle spoke and elaborated on how the facilities had improved in his 8 years here. First, he thanked those who attended the ASU game in the heat. He said that no coach is embarrassed any more to show off UL's facilities.

Bob Marlin looks forward to turning the basketball program around and his speech was largely motivational. He said one sign that things are getting better is that the parents of one recruit turned off the Saints game on TV to talk about UL.

Tony Robichaux possibly made the most illuminating speech of all the coaches, saying that a 13-year-old kid has already committed to Southern California and that recruits through online outlets like YouTube and Twitter have already made a virtual tour of your campus before contact has been made and there is an opportunity to sell the kid on your school. His 17-year-old son, before entering college, has played organized baseball in 10 major college stadiums. The message: the facilities have to be up to standards if there is hope to land the kind of student-athlete you want. There is no comparison between college athletics today and college athletics when he entered the coaching profession 17 years ago.

Stefni Lotief discussed the legacy that softball has had at UL and highlighted the major academic as well as athletic accomplishments of past players. There are no multimillion dollar professional sports contracts awaiting them after graduation, so their impact has been felt most in the community. The recruiting base is Louisiana first, then neighboring states.

RCAF President John Bordelon wrapped up the meeting with a call for action. He said everybody in the room needed to be multiplied by 5 in terms of attending next year's meeting and contributing. Again, the underlying message was that the timing and the level of private support can dictate when and to what degree these projects can move.

A Program Builders form was passed out to each person in attendance. It is a private means of raising money for nutritional supplements for football players. Funds raised are deposited into the RCAF (earmarked for football supplements). The suggested donation is $200, which is the cost per athlete. The program is in its third year and has been very successful.

--

I thought it was an honest presentation. I attended for two reasons. First, the out of town trip I was supposed to take was postponed and second, I wanted to gauge whether there was a strategic plan to accomplish these goals or they were just throwing out plans and hoping that someday everything would fall together. About 25-30 years ago I was spending some free time in the UL Library and saw an alumni publication from 1959 with an artist's drawing of a 40,000-seat football stadium and dreams of major college status that then-SLI aspired for themselves. That was 51 years ago and we still haven't seen it. If I see those football renovations in the next five years and the seating capacity is in the 50,000-seat range I'll be excited. This is really the first time any real effort was made to try to sell me on a vision, and frankly I held out until I received one before I responded. I was motivated to become an RCAF member for the first time, because I was shown something more concrete than a brochure to consider. I would like this presentation to be taken to the community at large (rather than requiring the community to come to them), where some fans who got discouraged in the past and developed other interests can have a chance to fall in love all over again.

Bottom line, I don't think we can stay where we are. In my opinion we're past the Southland Conference stage in terms of a well-rounded athletic program, but we have another barrier to crash before solidifying our hold on major college status. For the first time I was presented a way that could all become possible. I enlisted. How about you?

igeaux.mobi

Does UL have any kind of youtube channel to show off our facilities?

Quote Originally Posted by foofoochaisson View Post
    _ The hardest thing to change in life is perception. The only way to do it is strong, unwavering leadership with a definite vision. Winning will be a by-product of this, but yes, winning is the other most important variable in the equation. Finally, I think we're taking steps in the right direction. The presentation was very exciting, and I can't say enough about the men who coach our athletic programs. Truly classy individuals. IMO, Bobby Marlin is going to be a huge cog in this new regime, and most importantly, I think he relishes that opportunity. Tony is a wise old sage that sees this new direction we're headed in as a well deserved result; result of loyalty to a great school and community. These guys make me proud to be affiliated with UL, and I have to tell you guys, its time.. Time to put up or shut up. No matter what the cause, the people in position to make a change in perception are primed to do so, and they're all but begging us to do our part.. Our time has come. Don't be hypocrites.. Give, Give, Give. Give till it hurts.. and then give some more. Lets turn the SOB around! _
    If you're giving until it hurts, then you're not giving enough. Give until it feels good, that's when you know you're making a difference.