Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The University of Louisiana at New Iberia Primate Research Story

Default Re: Oh no...

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post

Another thing is, they have 6,000 primates there, in cages. You're going to see some unhappy animals if you walk around, but when I was there, they were mostly bored.

Finally, I think there's a clip in there of a young monkey being hit in the teeth, and force fed (I read a bullet, didn't watch all of the video).

Think about it: How do you get that video? If you can hide the camera, I suppose you maybe could do it. But when procedures are done on animals, there are only three or four people present. It would be hard to get a clip like that without the other people knowing about it.

Which makes me wonder if the videographer didn't have it staged it for the camera.
    I watched the clip that The DA had attached to their story today. I was only able to watch about half of the video before I just got tired of seeing some of that stuff. I could definitely see how the video was shot. It was like the person was wearing glasses that had a camera in them. I know that sounds like something from a movie, but the reason I say it was because during one "scene", I think it was the one where they were hitting the monkey in the teeth though not sure because that's when I turned it off, they were all wearing head-gear with a face shield, and you could tell that wherever the camera was, there was a slightly lifted face-sheild in front of the lid, as though they lifted it so they could get a clearer shot.

I guess that some of this could have been rigged. I know there was a stink about sedating some of the monkeys with a dart gun, but that was a big ___ monkey, and I sure as heck wouldn't want to walk up to it and ask if I could stick a needle in it. However, if they were doing it for reasons other than out of necessity, then there's no excuse, and there could be other measures taken so the thing couldn't hurt itself when it hit the floor. But I think it would be hard to stage animals with open wounds on them and red stuff (I'm assuming blood) around their mouths from biting themselves.

I'm not a research scientist, especially one that deals in research medicine, so I don't know what a normal day at the office at the BEST facility in the world might look like. Perhaps some of these sights are normal and are so disgusting because it's not what we're used to in our non-research worlds. Perhaps some of the psychiatric states of the animals were purposefully induced to test medicines to cure them. I really can't say one way or the other, and I don't want to sound like I'm defending anyone, because I'm not. But, it's easy to judge prematurely and I'm going to try to wait until more comes of this. And, if any single person or if the NIRC as a whole is convicted of wrongdoing, then I would hope that the problem is cleaned up, the guilty parties are dropped in a jungle or something and have to experience life in the monkey's environment, and the Center can renew it's reputation and become a positive again.

The main question I have is How does this Center fit into the University? Is it part of and controlled by the same folks that control other research centers in the school, like LITE or the Wetlands Center? Are the NIRC leaders and the school in direct and constant communication? And by constant, I don't mean everyday, but just the same amount as any other research center or any other college. I'm curious because it's one of those things that nobody ever thinks about. It's far from campus, it's mission is far different from anything else the school does, and obviously, it's a very touchy subject with a lot of people out there.

Those baby monkeys weren't being experimented on, they were being given medicine.

Much like a young kid screams bloody murder before getting a shot... you hold them down while they get their cortisone (or whatever).

Quote Originally Posted by cajunfan96 View Post
    _ Statement of the New Iberia Research Center at the University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette in response to a campaign by the Humane Society regarding biomedical research

The American public continues to advocate and financially support medical research aimed at finding cures for diseases and illnesses that are detrimental to their quality of life. The New Iberia Research Center plays a vital role in research that advances the nation's public health.

Endless debate has ensued as to the best approach to conduct this research but little debate has questioned the need. Biomedical research is a stringently regulated field and the New Iberia Research Center maintains professional standards that meet and surpass these regulations.

The videos posted online today by ABC Nightline and the Humane Society and obtained in an undercover manner at the New Iberia Research Center are part of a larger campaign by the Humane Society to ban the use of chimpanzees in research. Nothing in the videos alter the fact that the New Iberia Research Center is in compliance with all federal standards and guidelines regarding the care and use of animals, as determined by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the Food and Drug Administration, and the Centers for Disease Control.

The New Iberia Research Center has made and continues to make numerous contributions to public health improvements for the prevention and treatment of diseases such as hepatitis A, hepatitis B, hepatitis C, mumps, measles, chicken pox, prion diseases (mad cow disease). In addition, advances are being made in the development of antiviral compounds, therapeutic proteins, gene therapy, and in the prevention and treatment of cancer.

We take very seriously our responsibility to care for the animals housed at the center and to carry out biomedical research according to federal rules and regulations. We are driven by high standards and ethics and believe the videos distort acceptable standard procedures and incorrectly imply mistreatment of nonhuman primates at the New Iberia Research Center. We take seriously our mission to conduct research that plays a critical role in protecting the health of the nation. _
    Also, I don't really like this release. As I said before, this is a very touchy subject, and I think that the statement could have been a little more sympathetic. For example, saying that they would cooperate with authorities and will work to punish those who are found to be at fault, might have been a little better, especially for perception's sake, than to toot your own horn and more or less accuse the Humane Society of lying, and sounding defiant in doing so.

Anyone know if this was this released by "UL" or by NIRC?

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    _ Also, I don't really like this release. As I said before, this is a very touchy subject, and I think that the statement could have been a little more sympathetic. For example, saying that they would cooperate with authorities and will work to punish those who are found to be at fault, might have been a little better, especially for perception's sake, than to toot your own horn and more or less accuse the Humane Society of lying, and sounding defiant in doing so.

Anyone know if this was this released by "UL" or by NIRC? _
    I believe it was by your BFF Simon-Dronet. I heard it yesterday on 101.1 KBON

Their true agenda is not to have these monkeys treated correctly. What they want is for us to close down the facility. They released this video to get the publics attention and support and will eventually rally to get the research center closed.

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by rhineaux View Post
    _
    ... I know there was a stink about sedating some of the monkeys with a dart gun, but that was a big ___ monkey, and I sure as heck wouldn't want to walk up to it and ask if I could stick a needle in it. However, if they were doing it for reasons other than out of necessity...
    Like you, I know little about this facility or how they should be handled. But after the recent story of the chimp that attacked that woman and caused severe njury to her I don't think I would get close when an injection was called for either.

Quote Originally Posted by cjntgr View Post
    _ Their true agenda is not to have these monkeys treated correctly. What they want is for us to close down the facility. They released this video to get the publics attention and support and will eventually rally to get the research center closed. _
    BINGO!

Physically BR, but mentally on the beaches of St.John

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ Like you, I know little about this facility or how they should be handled. But after the recent story of the chimp that attacked that woman and caused severe njury to her I don't think I would get close when an injection was called for either. _
    I'm no expert on primate care or medical research needs, but I do know a tad bout animals and some of those displayed in the cam shots appeared to be in a high state of fear/emotional distress.

I know we need to do what we need to do to fight disease or whatever, but some of those animals appeared to be in a very bad way and I can't see where that helps anyone or why some have to live in that state for as long as it seems they have been.

Default NIRC Rebuttal

I wrote an analysis of the Nightline story on ultoday.com. I thought it might be worth a new thread...

BeauCajun is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Ragin' Cajuns Re: NIRC Rebuttal

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFun View Post
    _ I wrote an analysis of the Nightline story on ultoday.com. I thought it might be worth a new thread... _
    Nice article Doc. Them damn tree hugging nature freaks who never get out of their offices or houses.

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    _ I always find it funny that we butcher and eat some animals without a second though while we have to treat other animals like we would treat a human being. _
    I have never eaten monkey, but have tasted coon rabbit squirrel etc. all seem pretty good to me!!!!!

Default Re: NIRC Rebuttal

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    _ Nice article Doc. Them damn tree hugging nature freaks who never get out of their offices or houses. _
    Well... *blush*... I'm a tree-hugging nature freak.

But I'm also clear that people come before animals. And I also support prudent hunting, because the alternative-- starvation-- is worse.

I love animals. But sometimes you just have to choose between the lesser of two evils.

13. Default Media tour New Iberia primate research center

More than $30 million in federally supported research is being conducted at New Iberia Research Center, according to information released by the University of Louisiana ... at Lafayette on Thursday.

The funds are National Institutes of Health contracts and grants active through 2012.

The UL primate research center has become the focus of the Humane Society of the United States' campaign for federal legislation that will phase out the use of chimpanzees.

The center, in rural Iberia Parish just outside of New Iberia, is housed on 100 acres and is home to a third of the country's 1,000 chimpanzees used for invasive research.

The rest of the story

By MARSHA SILLS
    Advocate Acadiana bureau

Frenchie35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

This is so COOL Re: Animal abuse allegations denied

Leave 4LSU alone, he's falling in love.......

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Animal abuse allegations denied

I know this much. If I'm Doc T-Joe, as soon as the USDA's investigation is over, WHEN the NIRC is cleared of any wrong-doing, I would immediately have a legal team persuing a lawsuit against the producer of that video and the LAZY BASTARDS at ABC for running that video without bothering to do any investigation of their own into its veracity!!!

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Animal abuse allegations denied

I am all for the humane treatment of animals. We are their keepers, but they are also here for our benefit. Someone ought to run a story right behind this that shows evidence of the advances in human health this research actually provides. The public, in general, is a bunch of stupid cattle. I could easily air a story about a little girl with an incuriable infectious disease that the whole of America would fall in love with (the girl... not the disease). If you showed how we advanced finding the cure (or prevention vehicle) by use of primates, everyone would understand the dilemma we are in. I've heard this BS about other forms of testing. If you listen to research scientists they'll tell you there is absolutely no substitute. Many other "advanced nations" avoid primate-based testing due to cost, not the evidence it has an equal.

Somewhere in the gang of protesters is someone who knows someone with HIV. If they comprehended the necessity of this kind of research to the prevention or cure, I think they might be a little less inclined to operate their kissing instrument on this subject.

You cannot cage a wild animal, and handle them, and not have some unpleasant video. This isn't a zoo where they are approximating the animals natural habitat for our "viewing pleasure" (a much more worthy cause?). These normally social animals have to be isolated for research purposes and with that comes high stress for the animal.

I am sorry, but this video presented no evidence that anyone was intentionally mistreating these animals (cannot tell if it breaks any rules, but didn't see that either). The situation sucks for these primates, but I have seen animal rescue groups use the same techniques for collaring, sedating and securing animals. Is their "cause" any more worthy?

We are about to live in an Oprah-run world my friends. Oh yea... we already are.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: NIRC Rebuttal

I feel the need to repeat the response I posted in the other NIRC thread:

[I know this much. If I'm Doc T-Joe, as soon as the USDA's investigation is over, WHEN the NIRC is cleared of any wrong-doing, I would immediately have a legal team persuing a lawsuit against the producer of that video and the LAZY BASTARDS at ABC for running that video without bothering to do any investigation of their own into its veracity!!! ]

The thing that irks the crap out of me about this whole issue is the absolute LAZINESS of ABC to simply take the video at face value and stick their collective noses up the HSUS's @$$ with no regard to finding the TRUTH, which is supposed to be their F#ING JOB!!!

Physically BR, but mentally on the beaches of St.John

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    _ Leave 4LSU alone, he's falling in love....... _
    Any primate who can be trained to live with a quadriplegic and perform certain task which betters the quality of life for that human or undergoes medical testing in an attempt to find ways to improve the quality of life for all humans is going to get some "love" from me.

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4LSU View Post
    _ Any primate who can be trained to live with a quadriplegic and perform certain task which betters the quality of life for that human or undergoes medical testing in an attempt to find ways to improve the quality of life for all humans is going to get some "love" from me. _
    I prefer dogs. I work with human primates and they are not very impressive.

Default Re: NIRC Rebuttal

Quote Originally Posted by NOCajun View Post
    _ I feel the need to repeat the response I posted in the other NIRC thread:

[I know this much. If I'm Doc T-Joe, as soon as the USDA's investigation is over, WHEN the NIRC is cleared of any wrong-doing, I would immediately have a legal team persuing a lawsuit against the producer of that video and the LAZY BASTARDS at ABC for running that video without bothering to do any investigation of their own into its veracity!!! ]

The thing that irks the crap out of me about this whole issue is the absolute LAZINESS of ABC to simply take the video at face value and stick their collective noses up the HSUS's @$$ with no regard to finding the TRUTH, which is supposed to be their F#ING JOB!!! _
    I've heard that Savoie is considering just that. If there are grounds for a lawsuit here, UL may very well pursue them.

Remember, the Humane Society's ultimate goal is to shut down the NIRC, and all facilities like it; that isn't just a loss for UL, it is an enormous loss for human healthcare.

For those of you who agreed with the article, please use the links at the bottom of it to contact Congressmen & Senators. Once lawmakers see how orchestrated and one-sided all of this all was, it could backfire on the Humane Society.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast