Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Book: The University of Louisiana's CajunBot

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Official CajunBot Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman
    Well, CajunBot was officially disabled after travelling a full 18 miles autonomously. This was far greater than we had hoped for. It was good enough for a top-15 finish.

So why did we stop? DARPA had to "pause" our vehicle to allow some cross traffic to go through. In the process of being paused for fifty minutes, one of the actuator's that control the steering overheated and quit working. Not cool. Bottom line, if we did not have to pause there, we could have finished the course. But hey, what can you do?
    Still a good effort. You guys showed you were among the best in the country.

Interesting note as well...six of the teams that finished ahead of us were actually based in private industry, so we finished 9th among university based teams.

Good turnout fot a great group of guys..

The special thing about CajunBot is that it has been done with a budget only worth a fraction of what some of the other teams have. Much of our gear and equipment has been donated or even borrowed.

This whole project would not have been possible without the support of the community. There are too many people to thank here, but I especially wanted to thank GolfBalls.com for giving us these sweet hats...
    I noticed on the website that you guys are competing against some heavy duty equipment. A couple teams are sporting the real Hummers (H1). You guys are doing a GREAT job representing UL. If this does not prove to the world how creative & smart our engineers are I dont know what will.

I just went to www.cajunbot.com & saw the new Ragin Bot. All I have to say is that the other teams better watch there backs because a red Jeep is fixing to be breathing down there necks.

Good luck to you guys in the future!

Interesting note as well...six of the teams that finished ahead of us were actually based in private industry, so we finished 9th among university based teams.
    Wow! Even more impressive! Way to go! Hope this spurs the depts. on to additional innovative projects. This should also help in recruiting bright new students to the university. I'd like to see more interdepartmental cooperation for these types of projects.

How cool would it have been if at the 15 mile mark the road narrowed to 5 feet wide. There go the dummer hummers. If this is for defense the CajunBot is the perfect size. In Afganistan they won't always have a road waiting for you.

Default 2007 CajunBot II - RaginBot

Just saw this on MSN website:

Just months after awarding $2 million for a sport utility vehicle that drove itself over more than 100 miles of open road, the Pentagon on Monday unveiled a bigger, richer challenge for self-driving vehicles that can negotiate city traffic.

Veterans of the Defense Advance Research Projects Agency's earlier "Grand Challenges" said the technologies developed for the next contest will clearly benefit the U.S. military, which has set the goal of automating a third of its ground vehicles by 2015. But they said the innovations could have an even bigger impact on driving in America.

"It might fundamentally alter the way we use our highways and save trillions of dollars," said Sebastian Thrun, the Stanford University computer-science professor whose team won the Grand Challenge race last October.

The rest of the story at: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12583619/

Shof

Default Re: Next CajunBot Challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by shof
    Just saw this on MSN website:

Just months after awarding $2 million for a sport utility vehicle that drove itself over more than 100 miles of open road, the Pentagon on Monday unveiled a bigger, richer challenge for self-driving vehicles that can negotiate city traffic.

Veterans of the Defense Advance Research Projects Agency's earlier "Grand Challenges" said the technologies developed for the next contest will clearly benefit the U.S. military, which has set the goal of automating a third of its ground vehicles by 2015. But they said the innovations could have an even bigger impact on driving in America.

"It might fundamentally alter the way we use our highways and save trillions of dollars," said Sebastian Thrun, the Stanford University computer-science professor whose team won the Grand Challenge race last October.

The rest of the story at: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12583619/

Shof
    There's been talk of something like this for a while, since the last challenge ended. We were just waiting for an official announcment. I can't speak for the team since I haven't been very involved in the last few months, but I would be willing to say that Ragin'Bot is up for the challenge.

Sadly, CajunBot wouldn't work very well in that sort of environment. It's built more of desert conditions. But Ragin'Bot is a Jeep Wrangler, so it can handle pretty much anything. We'll see!

10. Ragin' Cajuns 2007 CajunBot II ... RaginBot

LOS ANGELES -- The winners of last year's Pentagon-sponsored robot race are back to take on another challenge -- this time to develop a vehicle that can drive through congested city traffic all by itself.

Stanford University, whose unmanned Volkswagen dubbed Stanley won last year's desert race, was among 11 teams selected Monday to receive government money to participate in a contest requiring robots to carry out a simulated military supply mission.

Stanford, which teamed up with the German automaker again, will enter a Passat sedan outfitted with the latest sensors, lasers and other high-tech gear. Engineers have tested the car on a closed course and will begin actual tests after scientists finish writing the program that will serve as the car's brain.

"It's definitely a more challenging problem scientifically," said team member David Stavens.

The rest of the story

By ALICIA CHANG
    : AP Science Writer

DaddyCajun is online now Dig deep UL will Prosper! Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Will there be a Cajun Bot III? DARPA Chooses Teams for Robot Challenge

I have seen the Ragin Bot(Jeep) on West Congress, Cajun Dome Blvd and Bertrand and can't say I saw anyone driving!! May have been someone in it but were they driving?

DaddyCajun

Default Re: Will there be a Cajun Bot III? DARPA Chooses Teams for Robot Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun
    I have seen the Ragin Bot(Jeep) on West Congress, Cajun Dome Blvd and Bertrand and can't say I saw anyone driving!! May have been someone in it but were they driving?

DaddyCajun
    What I saw was a man with a laptop in the passenger seat with no one driving the actual jeep. The engineers pre program the map into the car and it follows it.

USL (1960-1983)  (1985-1998) Re: Will there be a Cajun Bot III? DARPA Chooses Teams for Robot Challenge

LOS ANGELES -- The winners of last year's Pentagon-sponsored robot race are back to take on another challenge -- this time to develop a vehicle that can drive through congested city traffic all by itself.

Crap my wife does this all the time!

Default Re: Will there be a Cajun Bot III? DARPA Chooses Teams for Robot Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Rocent

Crap my wife does this all the time!
    Somebody's wife probably came up with this idea anyway. That way they could apply their make-up better while on the way to work, etc. Great safety idea!

15. This is a GREAT IDEA CajunBot II takes test run

UL — At first glance, the scene would not have looked too far out of the ordinary.

The red Jeep drove through an impromptu track set up in the parking lot of the old Evangeline Downs.

But a closer look would have revealed an array of electronic equipment, antennas and sensors on top of the Jeep — and inside, no driver.

That’s right, CajunBot — the robotic vehicle built by students at the University of Louisiana at UL — is back and has a new look.

Gone is the old six-wheeled all-terrain hunting vehicle that competed in the finals of the 2004 and 2005 Grand Challenge — an event sponsored by the U.S. Department of Defense designed to spur innovations in autonomous vehicles.

None of the 13 vehicles finished the 2004 desert course. The next year, a team from Stanford University won.

The rest of the story

By KEVIN BLANCHARD
    Advocate Acadiana bureau

16. Ragin' Cajuns CajunBot I sent out to pasture

LOUISIANA La. When a local hero retired Wednesday, there was no gold watch or bonus check, just some balloons, a cake and then the retiree was unceremoniously dismantled.

Cajunbot, the little six-wheeled amphibious robotic vehicle that twice made the finals of the ultra-competitive Grand Challenge, was officially retired Wednesday, making way for the younger, sleeker Cajunbot II.

The University of Louisianateam took some time from eating cake Wednesday to put some socket wrenches to the little robot that could, removing the sensors, computer equipment and other items that helped Cajunbot navigate its way through the Mojave Desert during the Grand Challenge.

The rest of the story

By KEVIN BLANCHARD

17. This is a GREAT IDEA Cajunbot II Zooms Ahead

"Change lanes."
    "Looking very nice."

Arun Lakhotia almost whispers the commands to the bright red Jeep Wrangler navigating a stretch of asphalt at Cajun Field.

But it's not Lakhotia's words that guide the vehicle or the hands of a driver behind the wheel.

The Jeep is CajunBot II, the autonomous vehicle designed by a team of students and researchers at UL for the Department of Defense's DARPA -Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.

On Wednesday, CajunBot II showed DARPA officials what it could do. The officials will decide in a few weeks which teams will compete in its Urban Challenge on Nov. 3.

The challenge was created three years ago to promote the development of autonomous vehicles that could perform defense duties - from scouting and armed defense to delivering supplies in war zones.

The team was one of 53 that DARPA officials are visiting to see which 30 will move on to the qualification event at the end of October. Those who qualify will then move onto the actual race where the top prize is $2 million, with $1 million and $500,000 going to the second- and third-place finishers.

The rest of the story

Marsha Sills
    msills@theadvertiser.com

18. This is a GREAT IDEA UL team Cajunbot ADVANCES

At 12:30 p.m. today, UL's team CajunBot should learn whether it will advance as a semi-finalist in the Department of Defense's DARPA Grand Challenge race of autonomous vehicles.

The race is scheduled for the fall.

It would be the third time the team has qualified for the race developed by the DoD's research agency to foster private research of autonomous vehicles for military purposes.

Check back after 1 p.m. for an update about the team's next step.

The source of the story

Default Re: UL team Cajunbot will learn fate today

Default Re: UL team Cajunbot ADVANCES

A Legacy in the making.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast