Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2010 CUSA has hired Chuck Neinas for Expansion

Default Re: Rumor on CUSA Board

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    _ Yea pretty much.... and since this is also a message board I am commenting on what I read.....

Having said that, what confidence do you or anyone have that those dynamic personalities led by Dr. Walker are out there promoting us in this time of change... a unique time that may not come along in a generation??

Just askin _

What leads you to believe that they aren't out there pining for us to be included in any realignment plans being put together by other conferences? Is it the numerous upgrades to facilities in recent years not to mention the numerous upgrades in play for the next couple of years, the start of RCAF, possibly the implied message sent by our basketball hire that we are looking for and expecting bigger and better etc...?

Just Askin....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by raginsaints View Post
    _ I think Troy would be higher on their list. _
    Troy's academics are not a fit for C-USA.

Blog Entries

_ Yea pretty much.... and since this is also a message board I am commenting on what I read.....

Having said that, what confidence do you or anyone have that those dynamic personalities led by Dr. Walker are out there promoting us in this time of change... a unique time that may not come along in a generation??

Just askin _
    Walker is not in discussions with other univeristy presidents, his contacts are with his peers. Presidents vote on memberships, not AD's.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    _ Yeah.

Just like all of the presidents of the original CUSA lineup knew Doc pretty good.

That went well. _
    Different personalities, Doc was never a negotiator or politician. Dr. Savoie is both, way better at cutting deals.

It's like comparing Obama with Bill Clinton. Bubba knew how to cut deals.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ What leads you to believe that they aren't out there pining for us to be included in any realignment plans being put together by other conferences? Is it the numerous upgrades to facilities in recent years not to mention the numerous upgrades in play for the next couple of years, the start of RCAF, possibly the implied message sent by our basketball hire that we are looking for and expecting bigger and better etc...?

Just Askin.... _
    I DO think we are making internal progress with facilities and the RCAF... However I do NOT believe we have anyone capable of adequately presenting us in these types of talks. Perhaps Dr. T-Joe... Walker??? come-on man....lol

What leads me to believe this? history... being left out of NCAA Regionals in baseball with a higher conference ranking and a higher RPA a couple of years ago... out of the Independence Bowl because Tech said so... With a strong, dynamic AD those things don't happen...

This is a most critical time and I fervently hope that you are correct. That our leadership is on the phone and on airplane talking up what we have to offer....

Just sayin

_ I DO think we are making internal progress with facilities and the RCAF... However I do NOT believe we have anyone capable of adequately presenting us in these types of talks. Perhaps Dr. T-Joe... Walker??? come-on man....lol

What leads me to believe this? history... being left out of NCAA Regionals in baseball with a higher conference ranking and a higher RPA a couple of years ago... out of the Independence Bowl because Tech said so... With a strong, dynamic AD those things don't happen...

This is a most critical time and I fervently hope that you are correct. That our leadership is on the phone and on airplane talking up what we have to offer....

Just sayin _

None of us know much about David Walker because he does not get out in public, like most AD's do. I raised a question earlier about Scott Farmer. At what time does Walker retire and Farmer take over? Is Farmer the right person for the AD job? After several years here, we should know if he is the right person to take us to a new level. If he is and we don't do something soon, how long will he continue to hang around? Walker is one of the remaining old dogs still around. I heard that he was going to continue as AD for a year or so in transition from Dr. A to Dr. S. Walker actually told me in Houston a couple of years ago that he was ready to retire and didn't want to continue doing this, yet he remains. Having the right AD at such a critical time is paramount for UL now.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ None of us know much about David Walker because he does not get out in public, like most AD's do. I raised a question earlier about Scott Farmer. At what time does Walker retire and Farmer take over? Is Farmer the right person for the AD job? After several years here, we should know if he is the right person to take us to a new level. If he is and we don't do something soon, how long will he continue to hang around? Walker is one of the remaining old dogs still around. I heard that he was going to continue as AD for a year or so in transition from Dr. A to Dr. S. Walker actually told me in Houston a couple of years ago that he was ready to retire and didn't want to continue doing this, yet he remains. Having the right AD at such a critical time is paramount for UL now. _
    D. Walker has been in charge for the start of the RCAF, building of the new softball facility, hiring of Bob Marlin, and all the other facility improvements.

Ask Bob Marlin what he thinks of David Walker. Is he media savy, no. Has he done what he thinks appropriate to put UL in a competitive spot athletically yes.

Again, as proven by the current situation that Kansas University is in, conference expansion is about football and television money. Nothing else matters. So, any inclusion or exclusion of us in another conference will be made based on our ability to excel in those areas. I think it will be more a judgment on our previous twenty years than us letting Scott Farmer take over.

I think the time for Scott Farmer will obviously come. However, all of the coaches have glowing things to say about Walker, and he does everything he needs to put coaches in a place to excel.

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    _ D. Walker has been in charge for the start of the RCAF, building of the new softball facility, hiring of Bob Marlin, and all the other facility improvements.

Ask Bob Marlin what he thinks of David Walker. Is he media savy, no. Has he done what he thinks appropriate to put UL in a competitive spot athletically yes.

Again, as proven by the current situation that Kansas University is in, conference expansion is about football and television money. Nothing else matters. So, any inclusion or exclusion of us in another conference will be made based on our ability to excel in those areas. I think it will be more a judgment on our previous twenty years than us letting Scott Farmer take over.

I think the time for Scott Farmer will obviously come. However, all of the coaches have glowing things to say about Walker, and he does everything he needs to put coaches in a place to excel. _
    I have no quarrel with anything that you say.... He probably is a very good administrator and probably does a wonderful job of dealing with the economics or lack there-of.

I also agree that he is not media-savy and by extension not very good at the art of politics... And that is what we need right now.... As Hou said he is one of the last of the old guard at UL... a group that was very satisfied with mediocrity as long as their spot on the team plane was secure.... I was able to see this first hand years ago on a charter flight to Bama.... the group sat up front... Left with the team... were in the hotel enjoying cocktails and laughing with each other... it was a great gig if you could get into that circle...

Making hard decisions then on the quality of the performance of your buddies in that circle became almost impossible... When most schools would pull the trigger and fire a coach or an administrator over lack of performance... we didnt... and used the tired old excuse of money for the reason....

just my opinion.... which means very little

None of us know much about David Walker because he does not get out in public, like most AD's do. I raised a question earlier about Scott Farmer. At what time does Walker retire and Farmer take over? Is Farmer the right person for the AD job? After several years here, we should know if he is the right person to take us to a new level. If he is and we don't do something soon, how long will he continue to hang around? Walker is one of the remaining old dogs still around. I heard that he was going to continue as AD for a year or so in transition from Dr. A to Dr. S. Walker actually told me in Houston a couple of years ago that he was ready to retire and didn't want to continue doing this, yet he remains. Having the right AD at such a critical time is paramount for UL now.
    I'm on board with CajunT on this one. David Walker or any other AD will have some internal input into the process but that will be the extent of it.

These decisions are made by the University Presidents. Walker & Farmers input will be considered but when the talks are happening and the decisions are being made the athletic department personnel at every school are pretty much out of the picture. These conference calls and meetings will happen at the highest levels of the University organization for each school and not in the athletic department.

This will boil down to the almighty dollar and just as an important will be the perception of each schools academics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    _ I'm on board with CajunT on this one. David Walker or any other AD will have some internal input into the process but that will be the extent of it.

These decisions are made by the University Presidents. Walker & Farmers input will be considered but when the talks are happening and the decisions are being made the athletic department personnel at every school are pretty much out of the picture. These conference calls and meetings will happen at the highest levels of the University organization for each school and not in the athletic department.

This will boil down to the almighty dollar and just as an important will be the perception of each schools academics. _
    Well, in the PAC 10s case, their Presidents gave the Conference Commissioner authority to expand the conference. Who is he in contact with? From all indications, it is the Athletic Directors of those schools. At least, those are the spokesmen. I just don't see David Walker as a university spokesman in terms of conference realignment. He may be good with the coaches and in getting some facility improvements, but this is a whole other story. UL's lack of athletic success in football, which is the real driver of all of this, small budget, and poor attendance are detrimental. On the other hand, we are in a good market, attedance is on a par with many teams in the WAC, MWC, MAC & CUSA despite not winning so we have tons of potential, and likely meet all of the academic requirements. Someone has to tell that story and I just don't see David Walker doing that. I hope you are right that Dr. S is heading this drive. It may be do or die for UL depdending how all of this shakes out. Thank God Dr. A is no longer at the helm.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    _ I'm on board with CajunT on this one. David Walker or any other AD will have some internal input into the process but that will be the extent of it.

This will boil down to the almighty dollar and just as an important will be the perception of each schools academics. _

I was reading on the Sunbelt BBS that the last time conference realignment took place, CUSA's representative visited 3 schools before selecting UTEP, N. Texas, LA Tech and UTEP. I hope we invite and can get people to visit our campus and athletic facilities as well as the city of Lafayette to find out more about what UL is really all about.

_ . It may be do or die for UL depdending how all of this shakes out.
    Thats what I am trying to say.... and all this talk about how good a man Walker is and how the coaches really like that he had bottled water put into their offices does not mean squat right now.... What is going on right now will established conferences, bowl alignments, etc etc for at least a generation... maybe more.

For those nitpickers, no I DO NOT KNOW what is going on behind closed doors... All I can say is i HOPE we have somebody with some PR/political skills out there knocking on doors and selling what we have to offer

_ I was reading on the Sunbelt BBS that the last time conference realignment took place, CUSA's representative visited 3 schools before selecting UTEP, N. Texas, LA Tech and UTEP. I hope we invite and can get people to visit our campus and athletic facilities as well as the city of Lafayette to find out more about what UL is really all about. _

Gee... what a radical thought..... maybe we might suggest it to those folks over in the Athletic Dept..... think???

_ I DO think we are making internal progress with facilities and the RCAF... However I do NOT believe we have anyone capable of adequately presenting us in these types of talks. Perhaps Dr. T-Joe... Walker??? come-on man....lol

Just sayin _

We all hope you are right and we agree completely. However, your same excuse, time after time about your unwillingness to believe that someone can be doing something right due to history is exactly that.....History. You are dealing with a different administration and you seem to have trouble believing this or coming to grips with it. You obviously don't know either of the men you speak of since all you have to go by is history and stereotypes, both of which do not apply to the previously mentioned individuals.

To even blame our recent disappointments on an A.D. is completely ludicrous. I understand that you may feel that someone is always to blame when something goes bad but the fact is, there higher level politics in play that created the issues you discussed earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    _ We all hope you are right and we agree completely. However, your same excuse, time after time about your unwillingness to believe that someone can be doing something right due to history is exactly that.....History. You are dealing with a different administration and you seem to have trouble believing this or coming to grips with it. You obviously don't know either of the men you speak of since all you have to go by is history and stereotypes, both of which do not apply to the previously mentioned individuals.

To even blame our recent disappointments on an A.D. is completely ludicrous. I understand that you may feel that someone is always to blame when something goes bad but the fact is, there higher level politics in play that created the issues you discussed earlier. _
    Guilty as charged on Dr. Walker... I have never met the man.... Is that not part of the problem? For all his limitations. Schexnayder was out among the fans and was always willing to talk about issues.. even when we disagreed. I remember a conversation I had with him regarding an annual game with McNeese... I was.. and am... a major proponent of playing them in football annually.. perhaps a 2 for 1 in our favor... He disagreed and we talked about it...

If you can't find time to talk to supporters it seems you have an image problem... and for me thats all it is... an image I have of Dr. Walker as a good man... a good administrator... but lacking in the dynamics needed to lead this university's athletics in this era...

I do know Dr. T-Joe (hence my use of his nick-name..lol)... I believe he does have the dynamics and political savvy to lead us... I hope I am correct.... time willl tell

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ Different personalities, Doc was never a negotiator or politician. Dr. Savoie is both, way better at cutting deals.

It's like comparing Obama with Bill Clinton. Bubba knew how to cut deals. _
    Bummer... Dr. A is Obama... and Dr. S is Clinton. I wonder who "our" Monica is?

_ Gee... what a radical thought..... maybe we might suggest it to those folks over in the Athletic Dept..... think??? _

The thought that we might need to suggest it to the Athletic Department is alarming. If they don't already know this, we are doomed anyway.

Hammer58 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ Bummer... Dr. A is Obama... and Dr. S is Clinton. I wonder who "our" Monica is? _
    Sally Clausen?

Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer58 View Post
    _ Sally Clausen? _
    Yuk... I sure hope (if it ever happens) that T-Joe does better than that!

I may not be able to puff on a cigar for weeks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Please SELL THIS

The day CUSA hired an expansion coordinator was the day UL should have booked the LOUISIANA > CUSA turbine powered charter jet with 10 school reps and 90 diehard fans on board.

Waiting till his ideas cemented before making a pitch is a plan(e) that does not deserve props.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2