Thread: Realignment Scenario

Default Realignment Scenario

Listening to Tim Brando on the radio over lunch and he thinks this weekend everything will start to shake out. Friday is Nebraska's deadline to either commit to the Big 12 or declare another conference and everything will fall out from that.

It is anybody's guess, so, for the fun of it, here are my predictions for how the realigned conferences will look with a more geographic presence in the non-BCS conferences and some schools left out. We'll see shortly what actually happens as scenarios seem to change daily.

With 120 1A schools, there would be 7 conferences of 16 teams each, leaving 8 schools left over. Of those, Notre Dame, Army, Navy remain as independents joined by Hawaii. The schools left out are ULM, Idaho, Utah State and San Jose State who either remain as Independents or go FCS.

I have UL and LA Tech joining C-USA along with Troy, N. Texas, Ark. State, FAU & FIU. W. KY and MT join the MAC and Marshall returns to the MAC as it no longer has any geographic ties to C-USA.

The Big 12 gets picked apart and folds as does the Big East and Sun Belt. The SEC takes 4 teams from the ACC who then raids the Big East and CUSA. The MWC picks up teams from the Big 12 and WAC. The MAC picks up 3 teams and CUSA reloads with a more geographic presence with teams from the SBC and WAC.

Proposed
    PAC 10

USC
    California
    Oregon
    Washington State
    UCLA
    Stanford
    Washington
    Oregon State

Arizona State
    Arizona
    Texas
    Texas A&M
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State
    Texas Tech
    Colorado

Proposed
    Big 10

Ohio State
    Penn State
    Michigan State
    Iowa
    Illinois
    Minnesota
    Missouri
    Nebraska

Northwestern
    Michigan
    Wisconsin
    Purdue
    Indiana
    Rutgers
    Pitt
    Syracuse

Proposed
    SEC

Florida
    Georgia
    Tennessee
    Vanderbilt
    South Carolina
    Kentucky
    GA Tech
    Virginia

Alabama
    Ole Miss
    LSU
    Arkansas
    Auburn
    Mississippi State
    Florida State
    Clemson

Proposed
    ACC

Wake Forest
    Boston College
    Maryland
    NC State
    W. Virginia
    Uconn
    USF
    UCF

Virginia Tech
    North Carolina
    Miami
    Duke
    Louisville
    Cincinnati
    Memphis
    E Carolina

Proposed
    MWC

Nevada
    Boise State
    Fresno State
    San Diego State
    UNLV
    New Mexico
    Utah
    BYU

TCU
    Colorado State
    Air Force
    Wyoming
    Kansas
    K State
    Iowa State
    Baylor

Proposed
    MAC

Buffalo
    Ohio
    Akron
    Bowling Green
    Temple
    Kent State
    Miami (Ohio)
    Marshall

Central Michigan
    Western Michigan
    Northern Illinois
    Toledo
    Ball State
    Eastern Michigan
    W. KY
    Middle Tennessee

Proposed
    C-USA

SMU
    Tulsa
    UAB
    LA Tech
    N. Texas
    Ark. State
    FIU
    FAU

Houston
    Rice
    Tulane
    S. Miss
    UTEP
    NMSU
    Louisiana
    Troy

Proposed
    Independents

Notre Dame
    Army
    Navy
    Hawaii

Proposed Independents/drop down to 1AA
    ULM
    SJSU
    Idaho
    Utah State

Default Re: Realignment Scenario

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ Listening to Tim Brando on the radio over lunch and he thinks this weekend everything will start to shake out. Friday is Nebraska's deadline to either commit to the Big 12 or declare another conference and everything will fall out from that.

It is anybody's guess, so, for the fun of it, here are my predictions for how the realigned conferences will look with a more geographic presence in the non-BCS conferences and some schools left out. We'll see shortly what actually happens as scenarios seem to change daily.

With 120 1A schools, there would be 7 conferences of 16 teams each, leaving 8 schools left over. Of those, Notre Dame, Army, Navy remain as independents joined by Hawaii. The schools left out are ULM, Idaho, Utah State and San Jose State who either remain as Independents or go FCS ...
    Too logical thinking for this to actually occur. Therefor I doubt it happens, but I would love if it did.

If this was done, you could have either a East / West or a North / South divisions.

West
    SMU, Tulsa, UNT, NMSU, Houston, Rice, UTEP and Tech

East
    FIU, FAU, Troy, UAB, USM, Tulane, ASU and UL

or

North
    UNT, Tech, UAB, Troy, NMSU, SMU, Tulsa and ASU

South
    FIU, FAU, Houston, Rice, UTEP, USM, Tulane and UL

MWC is not adding Boise per the report espn just ran

igeaux.mobi

_ Listening to Tim Brando on the radio over lunch and he thinks this weekend everything will start to shake out. Friday is Nebraska's deadline to either commit to the Big 12 or declare another conference and everything will fall out from that.
    I hope this would one day come true for us.

C-USA West:
    UTEP
    Ark. St.
    NMSU
    SMU
    N. Texas
    Tulsa
    Rice
    Houston

C-USA East:
    Louisiana
    LA Tech
    UAB
    Troy
    FIU
    FAU
    Tulane
    S. Miss

This would be great for travel budgets, rivalries, more post season bids and a possible TV contract also.

cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by JBO70538 View Post
    _ I hope this would one day come true for us.

C-USA West:
    UTEP
    Ark. St.
    NMSU
    SMU
    N. Texas
    Tulsa
    Rice
    Houston

C-USA East:
    Louisiana
    LA Tech
    UAB
    Troy
    FIU
    FAU
    Tulane
    S. Miss

This would be great for travel budgets, rivalries, more post season bids and a possible TV contract also. _
    I take MT and WKU over F_U any day. Besides the two Florida schools dont fit the geographic footprint.

UL Football Re: Realignment Scenario

I would like to keep one or both of the Florida schools in our conference to keep our foot in Florida for recruiting purposes. We appear to have made good in-roads in Florida primarliy because we play FIU and FAU every year. If we don't play in Florida, I think we lose some of the ground we have gained in recruiting Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankruptcyman View Post
    _ I would like to keep one or both of the Florida schools in our conference to keep our foot in Florida for recruiting purposes. We appear to have made good in-roads in Florida primarliy because we play FIU and FAU every year. If we don't play in Florida, I think we lose some of the ground we have gained in recruiting Florida. _
    I was concerned about the same thing. Some the best recruits in the nation come from Louisiana, Florida and Texas.

UL Football Re: Realignment Scenario

If MWC and CUSA also expand to 16 teams (or more) there would be no need to schedule the "big boys" since our schedule would be virtually complete with just conference games. This may be the only leverage the non-Q schools have. Let the "big boys" beat up on each other. Many of them will begin to realize what it is like on the bottom of the college football food chain. Of course, the money will be greater but the alumni will soon demand winning records and without the bevy of available "cream puffs" those elusive 6 or 7 wins will be much harder to come by. If the non-Q schools can limit the amount of money games, those games will be worth a greater premium. Maybe we will come to an era where the only time you see Q and non-Q schools play each other is in bowl games.

The guarantee games will exist as long as there are schools willing to take a big paycheck, and schools willing to pay the money.

The key, at least in my opinion, for the non-AQs is to limit those games and do everything possible to schedule schools from other non-AQs (MAC, CUSA, etc.) with a I-AA every other year or so.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ The guarantee games will exist as long as there are schools willing to take a big paycheck, and schools willing to pay the money.

The key, at least in my opinion, for the non-AQs is to limit those games and do everything possible to schedule schools from other non-AQs (MAC, CUSA, etc.) with a I-AA every other year or so.

igeaux.mobi _
    I agree!

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    _ I take MT and WKU over F_U any day. Besides the two Florida schools dont fit the geographic footprint. _
    We would average 25-30k with this league---just for starters!!!!!

MT would only go to the MAC as a last resort.

We've already told them no, when they wanted a package deal with us and WKU. WKU wanted to go, we did not.

We are in the South......... period.

Quote Originally Posted by KAjunRaider View Post
    _ MT would only go to the MAC as a last resort.

We've already told them no, when they wanted a package deal with us and WKU. WKU wanted to go, we did not.

We are in the South......... period. _
    Personally, you know I want to be in a conference with MT.

It is anyone's guess to know how this will all shake out. Question I have, when the re-alignment happens within a couple weeks or so, I am assuming that this will have an effect on the 2010 football season?

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

With 120 1A schools, there would be 7 conferences of 16 teams each, leaving 8 schools left over. Of those, Notre Dame, Army, Navy remain as independents joined by Hawaii. The schools left out are ULM, Idaho, Utah State and San Jose State who either remain as Independents or go FCS.
    Hard to think that Idaho and Ut. St dropping down---BUT I just get really peoded at how Monroe tried to claim the Louisiana name when --as I heard --we let them in if they would do the La. Monroe deal---Boy I wish that Tech would not be in it also

-but who knows?????

CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Parrott View Post
    _ The guarantee games will exist as long as there are schools willing to take a big paycheck, and schools willing to pay the money.

igeaux.mobi _
    The key, at least in my opinion, for the non-AQs is to limit those games and do everything possible to schedule schools from other non-AQs (MAC, CUSA, etc.) with a I-AA every other year or so." <

- Josh... this has been my thought for years! Non-BCS conferences need to commit to using each other for their non-conference games.

CajunRed is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by KAjunRaider View Post
    _ MT would only go to the MAC as a last resort.

We are in the South......... period. _
    I sure would love to stay in a conference with Middle-Tenn. You guys are a class act.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ Hard to think that Idaho and Ut. St dropping down---BUT I just get really peoded at how Monroe tried to claim the Louisiana name when --as I heard --we let them in if they would do the La. Monroe deal---Boy I wish that Tech would not be in it also

-but who knows????? _

I agree with you about not wanting ULM in the same conference and a drop to Div. II would definately help our name claim but I disagree with LaTech. I can't stand that school. In fact, there is no school that I hate more. In saying that, I think it would be a great rivalry to have in the same conference as us. As much as I want nothing good to happen to LaTex, I think it would help to bring attention to both schools in this state as well as the surrounding states.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HOUCajun View Post
    _ MWC is not adding Boise per the report espn just ran

igeaux.mobi _
    They said they are not adding Boise at this time. They went on to say that they wanted to sit back and see what the other conference do before they made any moves.