Kicker commits to Cajuns

LOUISIANA La. The University of Louisiana's 2004 football season will provide a homecoming for Drew Edmiston ... who in turn will provide a lot of support to the Ragin' Cajun kicking game.

Edmiston, a prep standout as a punter and kicker for Owasso, Okla., High but a native of Lafayette, became the 12th player to give Cajun head coach Rickey Bustle a verbal commitment on Sunday after an official visit over the weekend.

The 6-foot-5, 195-pound Edmiston spent his first 15 years in Acadiana and played freshman football at St. Thomas More before moving to Oklahoma.

"It's a lot different there now," Edmiston said Monday after his visit and commitment. "The school's gone through a lot of changes and it's had a big face lift. It's a lot more desirable place to be now."

Edmiston handled kicking chores for the Owasso squad of head coach Ron Smith for the past three years, and added punting duties as a senior. He was 39-of-40 on extra points and 7-of-9 on field goals as a senior with a long field goal of 48 yards. He also averaged over 38 yards per punt.

"Coach came to me just before the season started and said we needed a punter," he said. "I've been doing PAT's and field goals longer so I like that more."

Owasso finished with a 7-4 record and lost in the first round of the Oklahoma state playoffs last fall.

Edmiston and his father sent a video tape to the Cajun coaches in making a first contact earlier this year, and was invited for an official visit over the past weekend. He said that the Cajun coaches told him he'd have a shot at punting and kickoff roles.

Sean Comiskey had a strong sophomore season on placements for the Cajuns last fall, hitting 28-of-29 conversions and 12-of-15 field goals while missing only once inside 50 yards. However, Louisiana's punter Grant Autrey (39.2) graduated.

The rest of the story

Dan McDonald
dmcdonald@lafayette.gannett.com