Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: with all the talk of expansion...

Default with all the talk of expansion...

lets just say that 2 of the schools with the largest market areas get pulled to join other conferences (UNT with the DFW area and FIU with MIA) after next season. with USA joining in football after this upcoming season that would put the SBC at 8 teams. why not pull in Appy St., GA Southern, Jacksonville, and Stephen F Austin into the conference. all are located in, around or near a large market areas with the exception maybe being SFA. being at 12 teams the conference would have the obvious 2 divisions of 6 teams divided into east and west with a championship game at the end of the season. to me the divisions would be arranged like so...

East:
    Appy St
    GA Southern
    Jacksonville
    FAU
    USA
    Troy

West:
    MTSU
    WKU
    ASU
    ULM
    UL
    SFA

this to me makes sense. reduces travel costs. not a bad all sports conference. the conference doesn't lose any major markets and adds potential market areas in NC, GA, and N. FL that weren't previously there. comments, concerns, objections?

60 miles W of Tiger Stadium, 1500 miles SW of Gampel Pavilion

Default Re: with all the talk of expansion...

What makes you think App and GSU want to join the SBC? App St. in particular enjoys it's place, and they're profitable....they could easily lose their shirts trying to meet 1A requirements.

...The SBC would also be thoroughly embarrassed if was rejected by 1aa school.

Quote Originally Posted by LSUConnMan View Post
    _ What makes you think App and GSU want to join the SBC? App St. in particular enjoys it's place, and they're profitable....they could easily lose their shirts trying to meet 1A requirements.

...The SBC would also be thoroughly embarrassed if was rejected by 1aa school. _
    GSU has been looking into the fbs move up for a little while with facility upgrades being a major focus in order for the move. in fact i'm sure that is the case with several fcs schools researching the upgrade to fbs sports.

also, what makes you think these two schools would reject any invite into the fbs arena?

Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunFan89 View Post
    _ lets just say that 2 of the schools with the largest market areas get pulled to join other conferences (UNT with the DFW area and FIU with MIA) after next season. with USA joining in football after this upcoming season that would put the SBC at 8 teams. why not pull in Appy St., GA Southern, Jacksonville, and Stephen F Austin into the conference. all are located in, around or near a large market areas with the exception maybe being SFA. being at 12 teams the conference would have the obvious 2 divisions of 6 teams divided into east and west with a championship game at the end of the season. to me the divisions would be arranged like so...

East:
    Appy St
    GA Southern
    Jacksonville
    FAU
    USA
    Troy

West:
    MTSU
    WKU
    ASU
    ULM
    UL
    SFA

this to me makes sense. reduces travel costs. not a bad all sports conference. the conference doesn't lose any major markets and adds potential market areas in NC, GA, and N. FL that weren't previously there. comments, concerns, objections? _
    Anything to get away from Monroe

this is a major holdup for the good guys!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ Anything to get away from Monroe

this is a major holdup for the good guys!!!!!!! _

lets say we drop ULM out of the equation, shift USA or Troy over to the western division and add a Richmond or an Old Dominion to the eastern division. don't know if thats too far north or what but wouldn't be any more extreme than what the current situation is in the belt.

60 miles W of Tiger Stadium, 1500 miles SW of Gampel Pavilion

_ GSU has been looking into the fbs move up for a little while with facility upgrades being a major focus in order for the move. in fact i'm sure that is the case with several fcs schools researching the upgrade to fbs sports.

also, what makes you think these two schools would reject any invite into the fbs arena? _
    two words...title ix!

It's no surprise that women are a money pit! Any school looking to upgrade must also agree to dump their least unprofitable men's program, or create another unprofitable women's team.

Quote Originally Posted by LSUConnMan View Post
    _ two words...title ix!

It's no surprise that women are a money pit! Any school looking to upgrade must also agree to dump their least unprofitable men's program, or create another unprofitable women's team. _
    excellent point. it didn't even cross my mind at the moment. who would you suggest then that wouldn't be too affected by title ix forcing cuts to their athletic programs

Travel costs would eat that expansion alive. If the Big 12 falls apart (not even likely) maybe the SBC could gather some of the fallout like a Baylor or Houston.

_ lets just say that 2 of the schools with the largest market areas get pulled to join other conferences (UNT with the DFW area and FIU with MIA) after next season. with USA joining in football after this upcoming season that would put the SBC at 8 teams. why not pull in Appy St., GA Southern, Jacksonville, and Stephen F Austin into the conference. all are located in, around or near a large market areas with the exception maybe being SFA. being at 12 teams the conference would have the obvious 2 divisions of 6 teams divided into east and west with a championship game at the end of the season. to me the divisions would be arranged like so...

East:
    Appy St
    GA Southern
    Jacksonville
    FAU
    USA
    Troy

West:
    MTSU
    WKU
    ASU
    ULM
    UL
    SFA

this to me makes sense. reduces travel costs. not a bad all sports conference. the conference doesn't lose any major markets and adds potential market areas in NC, GA, and N. FL that weren't previously there. comments, concerns, objections? _

The things that concern me are:

1. ULM is still a part of this.
    2. Everyone of these schools either is or has been 1AA, except UL.
    3. This is like the Southland Conference going 1A all at once.
    4. This is worse mix of teams than the current SBC and I already dislike the SunBelt.

Conference Realignment will be UL's final chance at moving up from the worse 1A conference in football and basketball. If we don't make it and we are relegated to this kind of conference, UL athletics is dead. No need to spend funds enlarging or improving the football stadium. We won't average 15,000 a game.

UL would be better off going independent. Just my opinion. Don't mean to dis yours.

East:
    Appy St
    GA Southern
    Jacksonville
    FAU
    USA
    Troy

West:
    MTSU
    WKU
    ASU
    ULM
    UL
    SFA

I certainly hope not. It looks like a nightmare or SLC part 2!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    _ The things that concern me are:

4. This is worse mix of teams than the current SBC and I already dislike the SunBelt.

Conference Realignment will be UL's final chance at moving up from the worse 1A conference in football and basketball. If we don't make it and we are relegated to this kind of conference, UL athletics is dead. No need to spend funds enlarging or improving the football stadium. We won't average 15,000 a game.

UL would be better off going independent. Just my opinion. Don't mean to dis yours. _
    Not a chance

_ The things that concern me are:

UL would be better off going independent. Just my opinion. Don't mean to dis yours. _

I agree with you 100%. Considering this senerio, I would rather be independent also. Just reading it makes me want to throw up.

East:
    Appy St
    GA Southern
    Jacksonville
    FAU
    USA
    Troy

West:
    MTSU
    WKU
    ASU
    ULM
    UL
    SFA

Instead of this abomination, why don't we instead go to work on developing an alliance with Houston, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, and USM so that maybe we would be considered along with MTSU, Troy, and WKU when an opening comes up in CUSA. Man, we have GOT to start setting our sights higher than what you have proposed.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    _ I agree with you 100%. Considering this senerio, I would rather be independent also. Just reading it makes me want to throw up. _
    We must do all that is possible to get into a CUSA

---If the chips fall and we don't make it ---IT IS OVER!!!!! We were there and got screwed by Tulane

Now we need to maximize every area that would result in an acceptance of UL---these areas include

Academics-student population--Acadiana area population--Wins in all athletic sports---attendance at all sporting events---a huge increase in RCAF--More Federal and state funds---student athletic fee---continued facility upgrade---I am sure ya'll can add more but also to do it right---when we talk about population we say a million people in the Acadiana area with the populations of LC, BR, and Alex. a short drive away--see how much better this sounds then well Lafayette has about 100K

OK guys give them some selling ideas!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    _ Instead of this abomination, why don't we instead go to work on developing an alliance with Houston, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, and USM so that maybe we would be considered along with MTSU, Troy, and WKU when an opening comes up in CUSA. Man, we have GOT to start setting our sights higher than what you have proposed. _

It is hard to build an alliance when these schools won't play us home & home we won't agree to 2 for 1 or 3 for 1. We are on the outside looking in and are not in a favorable position. Yet there are many here who would rather we maintain our position and to hell with them. I just hope that doesn't cost us an invitation later.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    We must do all that is possible to get into a CUSA

---If the chips fall and we don't make it ---IT IS OVER!!!!! We were there and got screwed by Tulane

Now we need to maximize every area that would result in an acceptance of UL---these areas include

Academics-student population--Acadiana area population--Wins in all athletic sports---attendance at all sporting events---a huge increase in RCAF--More Federal and state funds---student athletic fee---continued facility upgrade---I am sure ya'll can add more but also to do it right---when we talk about population we say a million people in the Acadiana area with the populations of LC, BR, and Alex. a short drive away--see how much better this sounds then well Lafayette has about 100K

OK guys give them some selling ideas!!!!!

Don't sell us short. See population info below.......

The Lafayette Metropolitan Statistical Area is a metropolitan area in the south central Acadiana region of Louisiana that covers two parishes - Lafayette and St. Martin. As of the 2000 census, the MSA had a population of 239,086 (though a July 1, 2009 estimate placed the population at 263,171).[1] It is also part of the larger Lafayette-Acadiana Combined Statistical Area, which had an estimated population of 546,834 in 2009.[2]

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    _ Don't sell us short. See population info below.......

The Lafayette Metropolitan Statistical Area is a metropolitan area in the south central Acadiana region of Louisiana that covers two parishes - Lafayette and St. Martin. As of the 2000 census, the MSA had a population of 239,086 (though a July 1, 2009 estimate placed the population at 263,171).[1] It is also part of the larger Lafayette-Acadiana Combined Statistical Area, which had an estimated population of 546,834 in 2009.[2] _
    Well what parishes does the later have???? ---I think that when we mention population we should include all the parishes that touch Lafayette and Evang., Jeff Davis, and St. Mary

Also depending on the route that the crow flies parts of Cameron !!!!!

_ It is hard to build an alliance when these schools won't play us home & home we won't agree to 2 for 1 or 3 for 1. We are on the outside looking in and are not in a favorable position. Yet there are many here who would rather we maintain our position and to hell with them. I just hope that doesn't cost us an invitation later. _
    Is it that many here want to maintain our position, or is it that many here have given up hope of bigger and better things in UL's future? If UL supporters are satisfied with life in the Sunbelt Conference, satisfied even if the Sunbelt had to resort to raiding the Southland for new members, then there is no hope for anything ever changing.

_ Instead of this abomination, why don't we instead go to work on developing an alliance with Houston, Rice, SMU, Tulsa, and USM so that maybe we would be considered along with MTSU, Troy, and WKU when an opening comes up in CUSA. Man, we have GOT to start setting our sights higher than what you have proposed. _
    it was kind of an all other things out side the belt staying the same more or less with the exception of a few teams shuffling scenario. just a thought. i am all for making a case for moving up the ranks, don't get me confused with someone that actually wants to say at the perceived bottom.

Zeebart21 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Is it that many here want to maintain our position, or is it that many here have given up hope of bigger and better things in UL's future? If UL supporters are satisfied with life in the Sunbelt Conference, satisfied even if the Sunbelt had to resort to raiding the Southland for new members, then there is no hope for anything ever changing.
    Oiler, align yourself with the right people. You want answers call the athletic dept, or better yet...go by and ask to visit with Scott Farmer. Taking the word of the chronic b*tchers and M.oan.ers on this board is not a good thing... In the end You'll end up misinformed and look as lame as they do.

Z

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast