Thread: Conference Woes

Now the "fun" begins for us. Have seen numerous posts in recent past about where we might fit into the fray. Are we better off in the Sunbelt, or a rebuilt E-WAC? I like that fact that we are currently teamed with the like of UNT, NMSU, and some of our traditional conference members (ASU, etc.); but is an all-sport, D1A football conf better in the long-run than one spotted with non-football playing, or even D1AA football schools? I haven't followed the florida schools much, so not sure what Fl Atlantic, and Fl Int. bring to the plate.

I just read on the scroll bar at the bottom of the screen on ESPN that New Mexico St. and Utah St. have accepted an offer to join the WAC in 2004-2005. Yesterday I thought we (sun belt) had the upper hand in negotiations but if we are losing teams our hand becomes weaker. I sure hope La Tech joins us quickly and shift some negotiating power our way.

Originally posted by J-Town Cajun
    I just read on the scroll bar at the bottom of the screen on ESPN that New Mexico St. and Utah St. have accepted an offer to join the WAC in 2004-2005. Yesterday I thought we (sun belt) had the upper hand in negotiations but if we are losing teams our hand becomes weaker. I sure hope La Tech joins us quickly and shift some negotiating power our way.
    The SunBelt is in troouble.

Was hoping UTEP might defect to keep NMSU around. Would have been a feather in the cap for Sun Belt, and along with getting LaTech would have positioned the Belt nicely. Losing Utah St to the WAC is definitely better for them geographically, similarly for Idaho & Denver (if that happens). If we are unable to get Tech back in the belt, an "eastern WAC" could be our best opportunity; but only if a couple more schools defect along with us, namely UNT, ASU and maybe one or two others. I don't like the idea of having to travel so much however. Could definitely do without the far west association, particularly Hawaii. As many have stated, this begins to look like the old Big West conference, and that was not good for us at the time. This is far from over!

Speculation time. With the NMSU and USU news, still leaves LaTech as the only "real" Central Time Zone team. They still need more association with schools farther east than El Paso. Lets assume that UNT is the next domino to fall. This would give you 4 teams in an eastern division to start with (NMSU, UTEP, Tech and UNT). I'm also assuming Tech would stick it out, vice have an opportunity to move to CUSA.

Western teams would be: (6-7)
    Hawaii (possible move to MWC ?)
    Boise St
    San Jose St
    Fresno St
    Nevada
    Utah St (new)
    Idaho (probable if Hawaii moves to MWC)

Eastern Division:
    NMSU (new)
    UTEP
    LaTech
    UNT (new)
    UL Cajuns ?
    Ark St?
    Other ?

Anyway, I sure hope our administration is talking with UNT leadership. I'd hate to see us blind-sided!

My big question is this if the Sunbelt disolves what happens to the New Orleans bowl.

Oh yeah Tech will NEVER rejoin the belt. SO I agree with shof that is a good scenario

If all this plays out, the SunBelt might still keep the NO Bowl; but only if Troy St, and others step up. Seen several different opinions regarding WKU football as well as the two Florida schools. SunBelt would be left with MTSU, ULM, Troy St, WKU, Fla Int, Fla Atlantic as 6 football playing schools. Big question is if other current teams leave, namely UL, ASU, UNT, will there be enough left to salvage for D-1A football?

This is "out there" a bit, but I would think it possible that if other programs in this region wanted to make the step to D-1A football, either the WAC or Sunbelt could be a player. Since I'm in the San Antonio area, two teams that come to mind are Texas State (formerly SW Texas) and UT-San Antonio. UTSA has talked about adding football; but its not close right now. Large student body (25K or so), much like UNT - a commuter campus; but a great market to add D-1 football. Other programs on both campuses are good as well. Without others stepping up (again, assuming we and others leave), the Sunbelt could go "tango uniform" in D-1A football.

Default I hope WAC expands to 12 members

This is the only way we can get in.

If we do get the invite, I will be so happy.

With twelve members this means that there will be a conference championship game. What Bowl ties do they have? This would renew the LA tech and UL rival.

This would help UL out greatly.

If we don't get the invite we are screwed and mind as well drop down to I-AA. All this work will be for nothing.

Call me an "optimist"; but regardless how this falls out we will remain 1A. Hopefully it happens in a strengthened conference that also provides some regional sense. I believe LaTech would support our inclusion in the WAC; whereas I do not believe they would support being back into the mix with us and ULM. Also, different conferences might be good for both ULM and us; but I'd still like to see us compete in football so long as both are still 1A. If we are fortunate to get the WAC invite along with UNT and perhaps ASU, we still need other games within easy traveling distance. Monroe, Houston, New Orleans, Arkansas all need to be in the sights for non-conference opponents if this pans out for us. Lots of chatter on Delphi about this. I just prefer to post here. We do bring other strengths to a new WAC alignment. Outstanding baseball/softball, solid tennis, golf, basketball, and so on. Our football is improving and I think a move to the WAC (so long as it brings a regional taste to it) will help our football in the long run. Hears hoping that Hawaii moves to the MWC! Nice place to vacation, but not for 6-8 sports every year. I'm an old-school guy, so I have long looked forward to a time when we can get back into the fold with Tech -- love/hate relationship :-)

As for WAC, if Hawaii and/or Boise St leave, they still have a good conference, and a couple bowl tie-ins. From what I read, Boise St could "take" the Humanitarian Bowl with them to the MWC if they move.

P.S. Someone needs to tap Nelson's and Dr A's phone !!

UL Football It doen't sound good!

Take a look at this article from Andy Katz with ESPN. It certainly does not sound good for Sun Belt football. What do you think?

http://espn.go.com/ncaa/news/2003/1022/1644545.html

I saw it earlier. Just don't think the WAC is done manuevering yet. They either help LaTech by adding more "eastern" schools; or they jeopardize Tech's existance in the WAC. Who knows, maybe they want to cut the border at El Paso; but I really think they want back into the DFW market; hence UNT plus one or two more. Just my 2 cents.

Blog Entries

"Are we better off in the Sunbelt, or a rebuilt E-WAC? I like that fact that we are currently teamed with the like of UNT, NMSU"

I will miss the battle of the high scoring 3 point games.

Blog Entries

They want to cut the border at ElPaso but are stuck with Tech.