Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 153

Thread: Charting UL Enrollment since 1901

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,650
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Enrollments

    Here was a group of articles on the subject (written by Dan McDonald) way back in 2001 and 2002 LINK


  2. #102
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,444

    Default Re: Enrollments

    FIU charges $7.31 per hour just for football and another $6.90 per hour for the rest of the athletic department. FIU's football fee brings in $321,640 per credit hour and $3,859,680 per semester and $7,719,360 per year.

    Not some measly $15 bucks per semester, that is not a fee for athletics. Now if it were $15 per credit hour then I would agree that we have a fee, but we do not.


  3. #103
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    134

    Default Re: Enrollments

    Im all for a fee to help out athletics but I think the vote would be interesting especially due to the recent tuition increases and rumors of future increases. Then again, having been involved with stuff like this and the knowledge of how most of it works, in the past when these votes have come up very few students actually vote. I think only a few hundred actually voted for the New Union fee.


  4. #104
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    9,345
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Enrollments

    Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    _ FIU charges $7.31 per hour just for football and another $6.90 per hour for the rest of the athletic department. FIU's football fee brings in $321,640 per credit hour and $3,859,680 per semester and $7,719,360 per year.

    Not some measly $15 bucks per semester, that is not a fee for athletics. Now if it were $15 per credit hour then I would agree that we have a fee, but we do not. _
    That's not going to happen. Student Fees are allowed for facility improvements like the
    Moncla Indoor Field and student union. Those fees are temporary, not permanent. The UL-System board will not change the rules to allow student fees for funding athletic budgets. If you could get $150 per year, then you could use it along with bonds to pay off the stadium improvements. Of course you would need RCAF and others to help pay those bonds down over the next 10 years.

  5. #105
    cajun4life's Avatar
    cajun4life is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    6,444

    Default Re: Enrollments

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    _ That's not going to happen. Student Fees are allowed for facility improvements like the
    Moncla Indoor Field and student union. Those fees are temporary, not permanent. The UL-System board will not change the rules to allow student fees for funding athletic budgets. If you could get $150 per year, then you could use it along with bonds to pay off the stadium improvements. Of course you would need RCAF and others to help pay does bonds down over the next 10 years. _
    I honestly think that is the route that UL should go. LSU did something similar while I was in school with a campus beautification fee of $100 in order to fund on campus improvements.

    I think we could implement a ten year $12.50 per credit hour fee to fund athletic facility improvements. That would enable UL to self fund nearly all of their athletic upgrades with student fee's. I know that is a lot to a poor student, but if UL athletics take off like I think they will in the next ten years then it will be all worth it. That fee would generate at or around $50M for facility enhancements.

  6. #106
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,990

    Default Student Migration

    Today's WSJ--10-25% of Louisiana'''s Freshmen come from out of state---Only Tex. Cal. Nev and Mich are lower at less than 10%---Fun if you are around ---just wondering how skewed this is with the Loyola and Tulane entering enrollments---Also does anybody know the UL percentage???? In the Southern states only Alabama has over 40%---Basic article was about the huge amount of out-of-state students that go to the 2 N. Dakota Universities!!!! On the map the line of states from Montana down to Arizona has the highest percentage!!!


  7. #107
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    17

    Default Re: Student Migration

    I've tried too look up a breakdown of where students come from (parish,state etc.) But UL's fact book doesn't list anything but the total number of freshman etc and if in state or out of state. I've done alittle research on the other state universities and most of their information is broken down extensively.

    As far as Tulane and Loyola, Tulane has A LOT of students from the northeast, It feels as though they try too hard to distance themselves away from louisiana students.. but what do I know.
    Loyola seems to have a good amount from Louisiana but keep in mind they only have a total student population of 1,500-2,000 I belive


  8. #108
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: Student Migration

    In the Morning Advocate yesterday, there was an article that LSU is down 20% in applications and expects its freshman class to be lower this year than last.

    The Chancellor was on the "hot seat" with the Board of Regents and he should have been. He was a "doom and gloom" forecaster of budget cuts and known in Baton Rouge as the "whiner."

    He attributed the reduction in applications and the drop in enrollment, at least partially, to LSU eliminating the Bengal Legacy Scholarship which brings in out-of-state students into the university from alumni.

    However, no stratification of students was provided.


  9. #109
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Thibodaux
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Student Migration

    North Dakota has a nurse practioner degree which seems to be popular so I wonder if this might be a magnet. As for Loyola, when our two girls were there in the mid-90s(their mother's alma mater--Dominican--had been shuttered)there were closer to 3000 students. Being a Jesuit school, it had a group of Jesuit educated students from around the country, but for a private school had many Louisiana residents.


  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    19,650
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Student Migration

    Back in 1902, 03 and at least till 1911 the annual catalog as it was called back then (before the yearbook came out) listed the city, parish and state of each student.


  11. #111
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,908

    Default Re: Student Migration

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ Today's WSJ--10-25% of Louisiana'''s Freshmen come from out of state---Only Tex. Cal. Nev and Mich are lower at less than 10%---Fun if you are around ---just wondering how skewed this is with the Loyola and Tulane entering enrollments---Also does anybody know the UL percentage???? In the Southern states only Alabama has over 40%---Basic article was about the huge amount of out-of-state students that go to the 2 N. Dakota Universities!!!! On the map the line of states from Montana down to Arizona has the highest percentage!!! _
    I wonder what percentage of the out of state students are paying out of state tuition. With the budget challenges we'll be faced with in the coming years, I would think that the practice of waiving out of state tuition, which all state universities do at times, will be eliminated. The citizens of Louisiana won't, and shouldn't, be willing to subsidize the college costs for out of state students.

  12. #112
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    15,917
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Student Migration

    Quote Originally Posted by ULEverywhere View Post
    As far as Tulane and Loyola, Tulane has A LOT of students from the northeast, It feels as though they try too hard to distance themselves away from louisiana students.. but what do I know.
    Loyola seems to have a good amount from Louisiana but keep in mind they only have a total student population of 1,500-2,000 I belive _
    Tulane doesn't distance themselves from Louisiana students. Tulane has always attracted a pipeline of students from the northeast US. A friend (Louisiana resident) who went to Tulane told me that a lot of northeast kids that are kind of Ivy League rejects, target leaving the northeast and really like the New Orleans lifestyle. Their parents view Tulane as an acceptably prestigious school, but their main goal is to live the New Orleans eclectic lifestyle.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    4,457

    Default Re: Student Migration

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    _ Tulane doesn't distance themselves from Louisiana students. Tulane has always attracted a pipeline of students from the northeast US. A friend (Louisiana resident) who went to Tulane told me that a lot of northeast kids that are kind of Ivy League rejects, target leaving the northeast and really like the New Orleans lifestyle. Their parents view Tulane as an acceptably prestigious school, but their main goal is to live the New Orleans eclectic lifestyle. _
    Agreed. NE students come to NOLA to party. However, I think Katrina has caused Tulane to look much more w/i the state of LA.

  14. #114
    Just1More's Avatar
    Just1More is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge
    Posts
    15,917
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Student Migration

    Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    _ I wonder what percentage of the out of state students are paying out of state tuition. With the budget challenges we'll be faced with in the coming years, I would think that the practice of waiving out of state tuition, which all state universities do at times, will be eliminated. The citizens of Louisiana won't, and shouldn't, be willing to subsidize the college costs for out of state students. _
    The battle for students and budget cuts are nationwide. I assume more students than ever will stay near the family home and resources. I'm not sure what the upside/downside is on the out of state student (break point on discounting their tuition just to get their enrollment) considering the higher education funding crisis.

  15. #115
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,603

    Default

    Even with out of state tuition, many students can attend UL for less than it would cost them to attend a public U in their home state. The tax payers of Louisiana should not subsidize the cost of attendance for ANY student not on scholarship. The tuition rates should mirror the actual cost of providing the service.

    Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    The battle for students and budget cuts are nationwide. I assume more students than ever will stay near the family home and resources. I'm not sure what the upside/downside is on the out of state student (break point on discounting their tuition just to get their enrollment) considering the higher education funding crisis.



    igeaux.mobi

  16. #116
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    627

    Default Re: Student Migration

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    _ Even with out of state tuition, many students can attend UL for less than it would cost them to attend a public U in their home state. The tax payers of Louisiana should not subsidize the cost of attendance for ANY student not on scholarship. The tuition rates should mirror the actual cost of providing the service.




    igeaux.mobi _
    UL has a legacy scholarship for out of state students that waives a substantial portion of the out of state tuition. Cancel that, and you can expect some major donations to dry up from successful out-of-state alumni ... sorta of what is happening at LSU.
    Also, the waiving of out-of-state tuition is overwhelming due to academic scholarships - good grades and high test scores of out-of-state students.

  17. #117
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,990

    Default Re: Student Migration

    Quote Originally Posted by SlappyCajun View Post
    _ Agreed. NE students come to NOLA to party. However, I think Katrina has caused Tulane to look much more w/i the state of LA. _
    Somebody has to help me on this---Am I imagining it or what---that Tulane had 42K admission inquiries!!!! I just can't believe that ---Anybody else saw this????

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    110

    Default Re: Student Migration

    Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    _ Somebody has to help me on this---Am I imagining it or what---that Tulane had 42K admission inquiries!!!! I just can't believe that ---Anybody else saw this???? _
    Tulane had the most applications in the country, yes. This is largely due to their abolition of the application fee. That being said, Tulane has been getting a lot of good press since Katrina and is thus a fashionable school. Plus, New Orleans is a unique place.

    I agree, though, with the "Ivy League" reject comment.

    I am an alum of both TU and UL, and Tulane has made a concerted effort to reach out to Louisiana students. I'm quite certain my scholarship was given in large part because I am from Louisiana. I don't know why this would be important post-Katrina, but it does make sense, in general, to have students from in-state to push back against the blindly pro-LSU legislature.

    As for UL, it was my understanding when I was a student there that that it had one of the highest percentage of in-state students in the country. (I always looked at this as a plus.) Of course, we're paying to educate many of these people for jobs in Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta (this goes for UL, LSU and I'm sure most state schools). If the goal is to get more out of state students, boosting athletics, I'm sure, would work. That being said, it's interesting that none of the SEC schools except Alabama attract many out of staters. Athletics is the front-porch of a school though. Outside of that, highlighting the culture in Lafayette would be a draw. Usually, you see a couple of alligators and cypress trees and I'm sure people not from the area think we're all right out of Swamp People. It would be prudent to highlight the nightlife, which I would say ranks up there with most any college town, as well as the art and music scene.

  19. #119
    VObserver's Avatar
    VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Abbeville, LA
    Posts
    5,603

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by USL1970 View Post
    UL has a legacy scholarship for out of state students that waives a substantial portion of the out of state tuition. Cancel that, and you can expect some major donations to dry up from successful out-of-state alumni ... sorta of what is happening at LSU.
    Also, the waiving of out-of-state tuition is overwhelming due to academic scholarships - good grades and high test scores of out-of-state students.
    Note that I said students not on scholarship. I also said that we should not subsidize in state students by keeping tuition at levels less than 1/2 that at similar universities in neighboring states.


    igeaux.mobi

  20. #120
    Boomer's Avatar
    Boomer is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    18,990

    Default Re: Student Migration

    Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    _ Note that I said students not on scholarship. I also said that we should not subsidize in state students by keeping tuition at levels less than 1/2 that at similar universities in neighboring states.


    igeaux.mobi _
    OK there has to be a reason

    BUT

    We are looking to go to 20K ---Why not as a kind of an Economics strategy let an out-of-state kid pay the same as Louisiana kids and keep the money in tuition and total fees that they would pay????? Say we get a thousand more from this plan ---What is wrong with taking in MORE money????


Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •