_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: Bye-Bye to sports talk radio?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    2,138

    Default Re: Bye-Bye to sports talk radio?

    Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    I think Harvard announced that they we going to all online courses this fall. We shall see.
    Correct.

    And, as was said back in March, the student-athletes are Students. Then Athletes.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    4,519

    Default Re: Bye-Bye to sports talk radio?

    On another note, The Cane Cutters will be on 1420 tonight starting at 6 (I think) unless it rains. It may not be much but it gives me something to listen to while working in my yard. I sure did miss Cajuns Baseball and softball this spring. It really kept me company in the spring. I even missed "the guys that sing" at the baseball games (well maybe not).

    Next week they will be playing the Round Rock Hairy Men. That's right the Round Rock Hairy Men. It's an away game but I would love to hear a radio broadcast of that.


  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,550
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Well, Alaska WAS the goal this summer. If I had to guess, there's not a lot of looting, protesting and wall to wall coverage going on up there.
    For a while I was hoping Alaska was going to avoid major COVID breakout. The positive case count was staying relatively low averaging around 10-20/day up until a week or two ago. Cases started increasing every week since then and continue to get worse.

    This is my third summer living in Anchorage and by far the least amount of tourists on the roads, campgrounds and fishing the rivers I have seen.

    It is nice for Alaskans to enjoy an a summer without the crowds but the financial effects to the state are scary. The tourism industry is obvious. What makes it worse is that last summer tourism also took a bad hit due to the forest fires that burned most of the summer.

    All O&G operators in Alaska, except for Hilcorp, has cold stacked all rotary rigs for the rest of 2020 and may not resume until H2 next year.

    With Tourism and O&G Industry having heavy layoffs it is going to be a long and darker than usual winter.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    7,729

    Default Re: Bye-Bye to sports talk radio?

    I forgot the most glaring example how bad sports broadcasting is...ESPN had a 2018 Eagles concert on Sunday night. If you're old enough to remember when MTV was just that...music. Ironic.


  5. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    But there may be as early as tomorrow.

    We all laughed at the Ivy League when they were the first to cancel their basketball tournament. And, they got ripped by the national talking heads for that decision.

    Then everyone else did the same thing.

    While I'm stopping short of predicting anything this time around, it is expected the Ivy League will announce on Wednesday they are pushing their fall sports, including football, back to the spring.
    If NCAA does in fact push fall sports to spring, is that change permanently?...or do you expect there to just be a quick turnaround for fall season (assuming things are settled by next fall)?

  6. #26
    DieHard1280's Avatar
    DieHard1280 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Harker Heights, TX
    Posts
    6,716

    Default Re: Bye-Bye to sports talk radio?

    Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    On another note, The Cane Cutters will be on 1420 tonight starting at 6 (I think) unless it rains. It may not be much but it gives me something to listen to while working in my yard. I sure did miss Cajuns Baseball and softball this spring. It really kept me company in the spring. I even missed "the guys that sing" at the baseball games (well maybe not).

    Next week they will be playing the Round Rock Hairy Men. That's right the Round Rock Hairy Men. It's an away game but I would love to hear a radio broadcast of that.
    Not sure of the story behind it, but there is a Hairy Man Road in Round Rock.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    12,308

    Default Re: Bye-Bye to sports talk radio?

    ESPN just announced huge changes to its radio schedule. Some that I am pretty confused about. Got rid of Mike Golic after over 20 years with the company with most of those years on my favorite show on radio (Mike and Mike). However, they put Keyshawn Johnson, Jay Williams and a Sportscenter anchor I've never heard of in prime morning hours? Take out Mike Greenberg and put him midday. No more SAS. This station will get less of my attention moving forward.


  8. #28
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,998

    Default Re: Bye-Bye to sports talk radio?

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    But there may be as early as tomorrow.

    We all laughed at the Ivy League when they were the first to cancel their basketball tournament. And, they got ripped by the national talking heads for that decision.

    Then everyone else did the same thing.

    While I'm stopping short of predicting anything this time around, it is expected the Ivy League will announce on Wednesday they are pushing their fall sports, including football, back to the spring.
    While the IVY spring decision is one I expect, I have a question in regards to it. What makes anyone think anything will be different in the spring? Virus will still be around then. Do they cancel at that point? Some say let's wait until there is a vaccine to play or have any resumption of normal life. That MAY never occur. Now, I do expect the virus to weaken as it mutates. That happens with virtually all things of this nature. The declining death rates in the face of rising case numbers is evidence this may already be occurring. Back to the original topic, although I don't think the world will have control of this by spring, I would expect games to occur then. When we get to that point, people will realize we need to LIVE with the virus still going.

  9. #29
    ragin50 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lafayette
    Posts
    1,213

    Default Re: Bye-Bye to sports talk radio?

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    ESPN just announced huge changes to its radio schedule. Some that I am pretty confused about. Got rid of Mike Golic after over 20 years with the company with most of those years on my favorite show on radio (Mike and Mike). However, they put Keyshawn Johnson, Jay Williams and a Sportscenter anchor I've never heard of in prime morning hours? Take out Mike Greenberg and put him midday. No more SAS. This station will get less of my attention moving forward.
    ESPN has gone so far crazy left, nothing they do is surprising. However, getting rid of Stephen A. Smith is a positive. Can't stand him.

  10. #30
    CajunVic is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    9,142

    Default Re: Bye-Bye to sports talk radio?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    While the IVY spring decision is one I expect, I have a question in regards to it. What makes anyone think anything will be different in the spring? Virus will still be around then. Do they cancel at that point? Some say let's wait until there is a vaccine to play or have any resumption of normal life. That MAY never occur. Now, I do expect the virus to weaken as it mutates. That happens with virtually all things of this nature. The declining death rates in the face of rising case numbers is evidence this may already be occurring. Back to the original topic, although I don't think the world will have control of this by spring, I would expect games to occur then. When we get to that point, people will realize we need to LIVE with the virus still going.
    There is far less contact in spring sports like baseball and softball. I believe these have a much greater chance of succeeding in beating the virus and playing than sports like football, basketball and soccer. But you still have the quarantine issue in any sport that is the wild card in continuing play once a player is infected.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    12,308

    Default Re: Bye-Bye to sports talk radio?

    Quote Originally Posted by ragin50 View Post
    ESPN has gone so far crazy left, nothing they do is surprising. However, getting rid of Stephen A. Smith is a positive. Can't stand him.
    As much as SAS bugs me on "First Take" due to the confrontational nature of that show, he was much better as a radio personality as his show didn't take on that vibe. However, even if you disliked his show, he's now the highest rated guy on their network so i found it odd they would remove him from the radio but I guess they want him on TV more. I read somewhere that 4 or so years ago, First Take was the lowest rated show on their network, now, its the highest rated show on their network and a central figure in morning broadcasting. It shows you how much the industry and ESPN have changed and I'm not sure its for the better. Actually I'm pretty confident its not.

  12. #32
    Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    9,998

    Default Re: Bye-Bye to sports talk radio?

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    There is far less contact in spring sports like baseball and softball. I believe these have a much greater chance of succeeding in beating the virus and playing than sports like football, basketball and soccer. But you still have the quarantine issue in any sport that is the wild card in continuing play once a player is infected.
    I understand that. However, my point still remains that there will be likely nothing different in the spring than now. Case may be the same a year from now or a decade from now. At what point do sports get played what that being the case. The sports radio industry may not survive much longer without some actual games to discuss.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    12,308

    Default Re: Bye-Bye to sports talk radio?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I understand that. However, my point still remains that there will be likely nothing different in the spring than now. Case may be the same a year from now or a decade from now. At what point do sports get played what that being the case. The sports radio industry may not survive much longer without some actual games to discuss.
    Yeah, I don't think the nature of the sport is of concern. I think the concern is the passing of the virus in crowds.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    VA Beach, VA
    Posts
    6,508

    Default Re: Bye-Bye to sports talk radio?

    Quote Originally Posted by ragin50 View Post
    ESPN has gone so far crazy left, nothing they do is surprising. However, getting rid of Stephen A. Smith is a positive. Can't stand him.
    wow. i missed that, any details?

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    VA Beach, VA
    Posts
    6,508

    Default Re: Bye-Bye to sports talk radio?

    wow. smith just called mark levin. great conversation


  16. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,964

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    As much as SAS bugs me on "First Take" due to the confrontational nature of that show, he was much better as a radio personality as his show didn't take on that vibe. However, even if you disliked his show, he's now the highest rated guy on their network so i found it odd they would remove him from the radio but I guess they want him on TV more. I read somewhere that 4 or so years ago, First Take was the lowest rated show on their network, now, its the highest rated show on their network and a central figure in morning broadcasting. It shows you how much the industry and ESPN have changed and I'm not sure its for the better. Actually I'm pretty confident its not.
    I agree about SAS's radio program...much better listen than his character on TV...while a lot of people don't like him, I find him to be a very straight forward guy, can find right and wrong with matters regarding black, white, Asian, Mexican. I think he's very fair IMHO

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    VA Beach, VA
    Posts
    6,508

    Default Re: Bye-Bye to sports talk radio?

    Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Correct.

    And, as was said back in March, the student-athletes are Students. Then Athletes.
    Couldnt agree more....with that said how can anyone support playing sports if all academics is online only due to classrooms closed bc of covid? ...... Whats next letting student athletes fly in just for games? Why should HS sports be cancelled then, or why should you have to live near your HS or even be in the same state?

    Dont get me wrong, i dont think the schools or specifically the classrooms should be closed... But if they are....

    Not to mention who will know if these student first athletes are doing their own work online?

  18. #38
    Dad04's Avatar
    Dad04 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    337
    Posts
    6,983

    Default Re: Bye-Bye to sports talk radio?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I forgot the most glaring example how bad sports broadcasting is...ESPN had a 2018 Eagles concert on Sunday night. If you're old enough to remember when MTV was just that...music. Ironic.
    The audio quality was absolutely horrible. ESPN needs to leave music to others. No clue.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    12,308

    Default Re: Bye-Bye to sports talk radio?

    Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    wow. i missed that, any details?
    He was not fired. They just took him off radio likely to dedicate more time to First Take.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •