_ _ _ _
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Law School Coming to Shreveport

CajunVic is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Law School Coming to Shreveport

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    That is exactly what I meant. They don't give out law degrees without one studying law first. Can't practice without a degree.

But I get your fear, one could study and drop out.
    There is lots to fear these days, that's not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Help us out a little bit here, who exactly do you want on the bench - a plumber, maybe an electrician, a cabinet maker?
    Plumbers might do better. Also familiar with BS. Or human. Referring to re-elections. We don't like Congress. Or judges. But keep voting them in. It's us. Not them. They are doing what they are paid to do. Represent $$.

Quote Originally Posted by 60swerethebest View Post
    Plumbers might do better. Also familiar with BS. Or human. Referring to re-elections. We don't like Congress. Or judges. But keep voting them in. It's us. Not them. They are doing what they are paid to do. Represent $$.
    You don't have to keep voting the judges of DA that you have, but you have no choice but to vote lawyers into those positions.

A few years back I had a friend who left law practice and went into another field. She was quite successful and I asked her why she left. She laughed and said all her friends who aren't lawyers asked why she left the profession while all of her friends who are lawyers just say congratulations.

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Law School Coming to Shreveport

The premise is that you have to have a law degree to be a judge or DA. So, any discussion about having someone that does not meet that qualification in those positions is just BS.
    This is a relatively recent law, put in by lawyers [with our consent]. Until after WWII, you did not need any formal legal education to practice law; you just had to pass the bar exam. Some pretty shrewd lawyers had no degrees; some good [Abraham Lincoln], some not so good [Huey Long].

As far as judges go; we have had several Chief Justices of the US Supreme Court with no formal legal education. [As far as I have been able to determine, E.D. White, Jr. was the first Chief Justice with an actual law degree.]

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    This is a relatively recent law, put in by lawyers [with our consent]. Until after WWII, you did not need any formal legal education to practice law; you just had to pass the bar exam. Some pretty shrewd lawyers had no degrees; some good [Abraham Lincoln], some not so good [Huey Long].

As far as judges go; we have had several Chief Justices of the US Supreme Court with no formal legal education. [As far as I have been able to determine, E.D. White, Jr. was the first Chief Justice with an actual law degree.]
    I'm pretty sure that this has been in place long enough where there are no longer any living lawyers who have a license to practice law without a law degree.

VObserver is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I'm pretty sure that this has been in place long enough where there are no longer any living lawyers who have a license to practice law without a law degree.
    So am I; but that does not make it necessarily an absolute requirement. The laws requiring Judges to have law degrees can be changed. They won't be, but they certainly CAN be.

I knew one lawyer in Lafayette that did not have a law degree and he has passed at least 25 years now.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    So am I; but that does not make it necessarily an absolute requirement. The laws requiring Judges to have law degrees can be changed. They won't be, but they certainly CAN be.
    The people have their best interest in electing non lawyers, and yes we should change some absurd laws meant to protect a certain caste.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2