_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sun Belt and the Transfer Portal (Baseball)

Default Sun Belt and the Transfer Portal (Baseball)

As of today, here is a breakdown of the players from the Sun Belt who have entered the transfer portal.

App State (1), Arkansas State (1), Coastal Carolina (2), Georgia Southern (0), Georgia State (4), Little Rock (4), Louisiana (8), South Alabama (3), Texas State (0), Troy (0), ULM (6), Troy (0)

Thus far only one player has transferred into the Sun Belt. A player from Alabama signed with ULM.

With seniors being allowed to return and three schools dropping baseball, there are a lot of players (I might say, the majority) who will no longer be playing D-1 Baseball.

Default Re: Sun Belt and the Transfer Portal

In your opinion, why does Louisiana have so many?

Does all of this... in your opinion... help Deggs or hurt Deggs?

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedFan View Post
    Numbers. Just a few seniors and a healthy signing class. Then seniors ruled eligible to come back. Then the draft reduced to five rounds. Deggs said after last fall when he had 40 something guys that he wasn't going to go through it again. Most, if not all of the guys in the portal are guys that didn't fit Deggs' system. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    Does all of this... in your opinion... help Deggs or hurt Deggs?
    I don't think it hurts. It helps because he won't have an unmanageable roster in the fall. Much fewer decisions to make.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Numbers. Just a few seniors and a healthy signing class. Then seniors ruled eligible to come back. Then the draft reduced to five rounds. Deggs said after last fall when he had 40 something guys that he wasn't going to go through it again. Most, if not all of the guys in the portal are guys that didn't fit Deggs' system. JMO.
    Cantrelle going to come back? I see his stock keeps dropping.

Not sure if he's coming back or not, the MLB draft is the most unpredictable (especially this year). But from the scouts I've spoken to his stock isn't dropping.

LaCajunsFan is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Re: Sun Belt and the Transfer Portal (Baseball)

Quote Originally Posted by Textitan View Post
    Not sure if he's coming back or not, the MLB draft is the most unpredictable (especially this year). But from the scouts I've spoken to his stock isn't dropping.
    I sure hope we get him back for at least one year.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL Baseball Re: Sun Belt and the Transfer Portal (Baseball)

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    I sure hope we get him back for at least one year.
    We know his history. He's a warm weather stud. The Wuhan took out the spring blossom.

Well, you must be seeing something none of us are seeing. It is possible he's dropped out of the top five rounds? I suppose. But I haven't seen anything that would indicate it.

IMO Louisiana under recruited the last 3 or so years and Deggs is bringing in better talent.

So who are the 8?

Quote Originally Posted by VajunCick View Post
    IMO Louisiana under recruited the last 3 or so years and Deggs is bringing in better talent.
    I agree with you on that.

wcd35 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post
    So who are the 8?
    https://d1baseball.com/featured/2020...nsfer-tracker/

Colton Frank, Tremaine Spears, David Williams, Jonathan Windham, Justin Greene and Brock Batty

They also list Brayden Jobert and Jake McDonald but neither of them were on the roster last year. Jobert is a Nicholls player so that's mislabeled and McDonald didnt make it to the final squad though he was here in the Fall

If there's another 2 that aren't listed, I'm just not sure. But in actuality, the D1 tracker is effectively 6 leaving.

Dupuy, Toro and Bourgeois are also gone, but not sure if their transferring to another school.

What schools dropped baseball??,

RaginDave is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Furman and Bowling Green, I believe.

CajunT is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    https://d1baseball.com/featured/2020...nsfer-tracker/

Colton Frank, Tremaine Spears, David Williams, Jonathan Windham, Justin Greene and Brock Batty

They also list Brayden Jobert and Jake McDonald but neither of them were on the roster last year. Jobert is a Nicholls player so that's mislabeled and McDonald didnt make it to the final squad though he was here in the Fall

If there's another 2 that aren't listed, I'm just not sure. But in actuality, the D1 tracker is effectively 6 leaving.
    Just for the few the guys that didn't make the meeting. On the subject of the transfer portal, Coach Deggs has been receiving anywhere near 40 to 50 inquires a week from potential transfers and they are evaluating the talent pool. Outside of being a graduate transfer, we are likely not going to take anyone else because the NCAA has not made the extra year official, so at this point many would have to sit out next season.

Coach Deggs also stated last fall there were around 45 athletes competing in practice. He wants to reduce that number for a much more manageable one this fall. He feel's with the number of returning athletes and new additions to the program, they won't have as many decisions to make on the final roster.

Those are just a few notes from the meeting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Just for the few the guys that didn't make the meeting. On the subject of the transfer portal, Coach Deggs has been receiving anywhere near 40 to 50 inquires a week from potential transfers and they are evaluating the talent pool. Outside of being a graduate transfer, we are likely not going to take anyone else because the NCAA has not made the extra year official, so at this point many would have to sit out next season.

Coach Deggs also stated last fall there were around 45 athletes competing in practice. He wants to reduce that number for a much more manageable one this fall. He feel's with the number of returning athletes and new additions to the program, they won't have as many decisions to make on the final roster.

Those are just a few notes from the meeting.

40 to 50 inquiries is outstanding. Apparently fellas want to play for him. Wonder what the talent level is of those asking.

CajunVic is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    40 to 50 inquiries is outstanding. Apparently fellas want to play for him. Wonder what the talent level is of those asking.
    Most are in the portal asking because the coach they played for last year did not ask them to play enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast