_ _ _ _

Thread: Personal Reflection

Cajunsmike is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default Personal Reflection

Some of you may have heard I lost my baby brother (54 year old Phillip) to a sudden heart attack last weekend. Shown below is how I chose to honor his memory today. It has been a rough week but I am comforted by the many friends (including administrators and coaches from the Athletic Department) who have reached out to offer their support. I thank them all and all of you here I count a friends. Here are my remarks I gave today which was a difficult thing to do.

Eulogy for Phillip Hebert
    At this time, I would like to share some of my memories of my baby brother, Phillip, with you. Perhaps my remarks may spur some memories of your own. One of my earliest and happiest memories of course involves sports. One late afternoon in his pre teen years a neighborhood touch football game was organized in our large front yard. He was anxious to show the older kids he could hang with them so we let him get into the game. Highlight of the day was when I completed a deep slant pass to him which he took for a big gain. The smile on his face after that play could light up all of St. Anne. Around that same period in his life, I became his Biddy-basketball coach. That is where he learned that you can still help a team despite a limitation like lack of height simply by giving effort and understanding fundamentals. Later on he would apply that philosophy in his academic and professional career. 20 years later my son Ryan learned some of those same lessons when I became his Biddy-basketball coach. From this point on, I will always make that connection whenever Ryan and I get together to get some shots up.

As we moved into adulthood, we of course saw less and less of each other as is common in most families. However in the late 90's we were able to get together a little more frequently. That was a time when his family was just getting settled in Slidell while Lisa and I were raising our family in Kenner. That allowed us to occasionally get together for things like birthday parties and Mardi Gras Parades. Looking back now I wish we would have made a point to get the families together more frequently. Beyond those gatherings we occasionally would meet up at a Saints game or travel back this way for a Cajuns game. There was a 2 year stretch when he would drive over to Metairie on most Sunday nights for pickup basketball games at a local school gym organized by one of my friends. Ya'll may have a hard time believing this but when he and I were teamed together we would occasionally win a game or two. Again, something I wish I appreciated more at the time.

Once our family moved to Lafayette in 2002, we of course did not keep up with each other as well, other than holidays of course. However I do know he loved his job and was very proud to be an engineer with NASA. Working in the space program had been a dream of his since childhood. A couple of times where he was able to show off that NASA pride come to mind. One was when he frequently represented NASA at the annual Engineering Day on the UL Campus. Former College of Engineering Dean Mark Zappi tells me that when Phillip went shoot off the mini rocket in his display, it really got the attention of the High School students attending. That of course was the reaction Phillip was looking for. Another time was when he and my daughter Brittany, who was a UL student at the time, organized a tour of NASA for some Engineering majors. Brittany tells me that after the tour ended, many of those students told her that was the coolest thing they did in their college career. That of course pleased Phillip greatly. There is no doubt he loved all of his children and grandchildren as well. That is obvious in his reaction in all the pictures we see of him with them. I also know he enjoyed immensely his work with the Men's club at his church, Knights of Columbus activities, being a Boy Scout troop leader, working as a youth soccer referee, like me supporting the Ragin Cajuns, and of course following the New Orleans Saints. It would not surprise me if he is somewhere on the other side at this time still expressing his frustration at the blown call in the NFC championship game which occurred in January of 2019.

This happened much too quickly and all of us are still in shock. None of us know when we will be called home. In that regard this tragedy has reminded me that every day is precious and we should cherish every moment. In my time on this earth I have come to realize that the most fulfilling days are when we do something to bring happiness to others. Therefore I hope to work harder at being kind to every person I come in contact with regardless of any differences we may have. I hope that all of you make an attempt to do the same. Perhaps that by doing so we may occasionally bring enough joy to someone that they will respond with a smile like the one that Phillip had that day in his youth after catching that pass. Once again I hope that these personal memories of my brother will trigger memories that you can hold dear as the years go by.

CajunT is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Personal Reflection

Sorry Mike for your loss. I can't imagine losing either of my brothers right now in my life. I'm sorry for my late condolences, I was dealing with the lose of my first cousin to Brain Cancer last week. I certainly would have called you had I known.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Sad day for you Mike. I recall how you often mentioned your brother, especially with regards to the Cajuns. I felt like I knew him very well although I'd only met him occasionally. Remember all the best things.

Blog Entries

So sorry for your loss CajunMike.

LaCajunsFan is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Nice tribute. Sorry for your loss.

Well said sir. Tuck that away in your bible.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Well said sir. Tuck that away in your bible.
    Good suggestion. I will follow through on that

Mike, what a beautiful tribute. Your reminder of the model rocket engine clicked. That's where I met him. I don't know who enjoyed his demos more. Students or faculty. Please know you and all of your family will remain in our prayers.

I'm very sorry for the sudden loss of your brother. Thank you for sharing the heartfelt eulogy for him. Poignant reminder of all we have is time. And you were obviously good brothers to each other. Take care.

Mike, Sorry to hear this news. Although we don't know each other in the real world, it's fairly obvious through your post that you're a great guy who is a loyal friend and open minded. I have no doubt your brother probably shared these great characteristics. I'll certainly keep you and the rest of your family in my prayers.

Very sorry to hear of your loss Mike.

Sorry for your loss, Mike. What an inspiring tribute you gave! Prayers for you & your family.

So sorry for your loss, Mike. Life is so fragile. Big time props to you for your wonderful tribute to your beloved sibling. God Bless you all!

Very sorry for your loss Mike.

moorecajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Very sorry to hear this Mike. This is always a tough time and being able to lean on God is a big help!

I pray his family (including yours) will be comforted with him looking down on you.

Peace be with you.

So sorry for your loss Mike. I appreciate your tribute and it sounds like he was a great person, like your self.

My condolences, Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by 60swerethebest View Post
    Mike, what a beautiful tribute. Your reminder of the model rocket engine clicked. That's where I met him. I don't know who enjoyed his demos more. Students or faculty. Please know you and all of your family will remain in our prayers.
    Actually, I think Phil is the one who enjoyed his demonstration the most. My wife gave me some comfort yesterday when she reminded me that his godchild, my beautiful and brilliant daughter Brittany, continues his tradition of working in the space program. Brittany is an engineer with Harris, an aviation/space company on the Florida Space coast.

NASA has a real big lift off Wednesday. It's been a long time coming. Phil is going to have a heck of a view. God Bless him
    Loved your info on Brittany. We're all proud of her.