_ _ _ _
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Realignment Coming?

Default Re: Is Realignment Coming?

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    I like the idea of tx state joining cusa with all the other tx schools, and we take USM in their place....plus Marshall and UAB for good measure. Helps our conference and cripples cusa at the same time.
    Since we are just playing with this, wouldn't East and West conferences make more sense if the idea is to control costs, develop rivalries and increase attendance?

Western based conference

UTSA, Texas State, Rice, Louisiana, S. Miss, S. Alabama
    N. Texas, LA Tech, Ark State, UAB, ULM, ?

OR

UTEP, NMSU, UTSA, TX State, Rice, N. Texas
    Louisiana, S. Miss, S. Alabama, LA Tech, Ark State, UAB

Depends on if ULM and/or UTEP could be excluded.
    Also, all sports conferences, so UTA and UALR are out.

Eastern based conference

Marshall, App State, ODU, Charlotte, W. Ky, MT
    FAU, FIU, Troy, GA State, GA Southern, Coastal

LaCajunsFan is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Since we are just playing with this, wouldn't East and West conferences make more sense if the idea is to control costs, develop rivalries and increase attendance?

Western based conference

UTSA, Texas State, Rice, Louisiana, S. Miss, S. Alabama
    N. Texas, LA Tech, Ark State, UAB, ULM, ?

OR

UTEP, NMSU, UTSA, TX State, Rice, N. Texas
    Louisiana, S. Miss, S. Alabama, LA Tech, Ark State, UAB

Depends on if ULM and/or UTEP could be excluded.
    Also, all sports conferences, so UTA and UALR are out.

Eastern based conference

Marshall, App State, ODU, Charlotte, W. Ky, MT
    FAU, FIU, Troy, GA State, GA Southern, Coastal
    The problem with that is that it is too complex, sweeping and involves too many teams, etc. By keeping it simple we have a better chance of it happening, and we could accomplish a lot of our goals. But simple or complex, chances are they won't happen....although with the current situation who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    I doubt we see a true merger schools will group with other schools that give them the best TV contracts and travel affordability..
    I agree if more than two conferences get involved, however the more conferences involved the less chance anything happens. The easier and cleaner it is, the chances are much higher.

Total reorganization is not smart in my opinion. Regional scheduling is. In Olympic Sports we already schedule La Tech in most. Southern Miss comes on for hoops this year.

When you talk about just merging conferences and dividing by geography, you are now sending your volleyball, soccer and tennis teams to El Paso, along with men's and women's basketball. Not worth the expense folks. Getting schools like Tech, USM, Rice, UTSA, North Texas and UAB to agree solves most of the issues. Then add games against the Southland and you won't have to get on a plane except probably for one time per sport. And, you do it without spending all the money on logos, branding and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    I agree if more than two conferences get involved, however the more conferences involved the less chance anything happens. The easier and cleaner it is, the chances are much higher.
    No one gives crap about ODU with their financial troubles don't see them staying in fbs

I was 2 blocks from their campus in November and there was not 1 person wearing a odu shirt or hat and not a single singe anywhere off campus. The only thing that let me know it existed was the exit sign on the highway. Norfolk is a government town with a bunch of transplants so that will never change

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post

South - S. Miss, Tulane, Louisiana, Houston, Rice, Texas State, UTSA
    North - SMU, Tulsa, Memphis, N. Texas, LA Tech, Ark State, UAB
    This would be a HUGE step down for SMU and Houston.

Also, if you think LA Tech is hostile towards being associated with us in an athletic conference, Tulane would put up even more of a fight. They would probably rather shut down all athletics before being in a conference with us.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post

Also, if you think LA Tech is hostile towards being associated with us in an athletic conference, Tulane would put up even more of a fight. They would probably rather shut down all athletics before being in a conference with us.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I'm confident they'd do whatever it takes. Yeah they might need a few dozen gross of clothes pins but nobody's shutting down their athletics because it's just too low to be in with a couple they don't respect.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Total reorganization is not smart in my opinion. Regional scheduling is. In Olympic Sports we already schedule La Tech in most. Southern Miss comes on for hoops this year.

When you talk about just merging conferences and dividing by geography, you are now sending your volleyball, soccer and tennis teams to El Paso, along with men's and women's basketball. Not worth the expense folks. Getting schools like Tech, USM, Rice, UTSA, North Texas and UAB to agree solves most of the issues. Then add games against the Southland and you won't have to get on a plane except probably for one time per sport. And, you do it without spending all the money on logos, branding and the like.
    Do we send all of those squads to Conway, South Carolina?

asking for a friend...

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Do we send all of those squads to Conway, South Carolina?

asking for a friend...
    Yes you do. And, that's the point. The whole idea behind this is to cut travel costs and keep our teams off airplanes. UTEP is just a move sideways in that regard. The idea here is to solve the problem of travel, not just take it to a different location. I'll sign off tomorrow on a realignment that solves the problem. This proposal does not.

CajunT is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post

You are correct. Current members of the AAC will not take part in any conference realignment below them in the G5 unless there is any movement above them in the P5. They are the best positioned G5 conference financially and they have no interest in adding any new programs to their conference regardless of any savings in travel cost.

On the subject of Louisiana Tech, the fiscal calendar begins in July for all state universities. With the state budget shortfall coming, there will be no state money allowed to be used for athletics next year. In order for universities to receive matching federal funds, students must return to campus. There are going to be major holes in every state universities budget going forward and they will be forced to make choices that they haven't had to make in the past.

Hi! Southern Miss fan here. Someone on our Golden Eagle Pride 247 site mentioned the realignment threads here and after reading them I wanted to give perspective from outside UL, but still very interested, since we'd be involved with this as well. Lots of thoughts (after reading 2-3 long threads here), so I'll be covering many items and this'll be long.

First, Southern Miss fans are very interested in some form of C-USA/Sunbelt realignment. Regional is good and best of the best is better. We include UL in all such imagined future conferences, as you've really come on strong over the past decade and are a natural fit with Southern Miss.

The issue I see with the 3 conferences of 8, is that one (at least) won't have a Playoff Payout nor a NCAA Tournament guaranteed slot. It does have the potential of giving the bet travel and opening up the OOC schedule ore, but you'd have to be willing to give up money in the short term for a long term gain. It's possible the COVID-19 situation would open the NCAA up to allowing this? If so, the best of the best conference could happen easily too.

The C-USA 24 has two major issues. The first is a version of the above issue. Currently C-USA teams are splitting NCAA Tournament and Football Playoff money 14 ways and the Sunbelt is splitting these 10 ways. If we are just one conference then they could get away with giving us one share to split 24 ways. Even if they give us both shares, the Sunbelt teams are getting a lesser amount (1/12th vs 1/10th). The second major issue is that we'd only have 1 guaranteed Basketball Tournament slot vs 2 current ones. I don't see the C-USA 24 being worthy of multiple bids in its current state.

Other C-USA schools: LaTech is fine with UL but refuses to be in a conference with ULM. WKU and MTSU are like App and Georgia Southern, connected at the hip. ODU has (by far) the largest athletic budget in C-USA. They like the idea of a East Coast league with good basketball schools. Most eastern schools seem to really like them. UAB (like Southern Miss) is in the center of the two conferences and both East and West suggestions often include them. Not sure which way they'd want to go. Likely they are like USM and would like to stay int he center rather than the most eastern team in a western conference or most western team in an eastern conference. UTEP seems resigned that they will have to go independent if conferences realign for geographical reasons. All their sports sucking right now is really bad timing. FIU and FAU are concerned about this possibility but not resigned to it like UTEP.

My dream combination of C-USA and Sunbelt would be:
    Southern Miss, UL, LaTech, UAB, Troy, MTSU, WKU, App, Georgia Southern
    then zero to three of: Arkansas State, Marshall, USA, GA State, Rice, or UNT.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Luckyshot View Post
    Hi! Southern Miss fan here. Someone on our Golden Eagle Pride 247 site mentioned the realignment threads here and after reading them I wanted to give perspective from outside UL, but still very interested, since we'd be involved with this as well. Lots of thoughts (after reading 2-3 long threads here), so I'll be covering many items and this'll be long.

First, Southern Miss fans are very interested in some form of C-USA/Sunbelt realignment. Regional is good and best of the best is better. We include UL in all such imagined future conferences, as you've really come on strong over the past decade and are a natural fit with Southern Miss.

The issue I see with the 3 conferences of 8, is that one (at least) won't have a Playoff Payout nor a NCAA Tournament guaranteed slot. It does have the potential of giving the bet travel and opening up the OOC schedule ore, but you'd have to be willing to give up money in the short term for a long term gain. It's possible the COVID-19 situation would open the NCAA up to allowing this? If so, the best of the best conference could happen easily too.

The C-USA 24 has two major issues. The first is a version of the above issue. Currently C-USA teams are splitting NCAA Tournament and Football Playoff money 14 ways and the Sunbelt is splitting these 10 ways. If we are just one conference then they could get away with giving us one share to split 24 ways. Even if they give us both shares, the Sunbelt teams are getting a lesser amount (1/12th vs 1/10th). The second major issue is that we'd only have 1 guaranteed Basketball Tournament slot vs 2 current ones. I don't see the C-USA 24 being worthy of multiple bids in its current state.

Other C-USA schools: LaTech is fine with UL but refuses to be in a conference with ULM. WKU and MTSU are like App and Georgia Southern, connected at the hip. ODU has (by far) the largest athletic budget in C-USA. They like the idea of a East Coast league with good basketball schools. Most eastern schools seem to really like them. UAB (like Southern Miss) is in the center of the two conferences and both East and West suggestions often include them. Not sure which way they'd want to go. Likely they are like USM and would like to stay int he center rather than the most eastern team in a western conference or most western team in an eastern conference. UTEP seems resigned that they will have to go independent if conferences realign for geographical reasons. All their sports sucking right now is really bad timing. FIU and FAU are concerned about this possibility but not resigned to it like UTEP.

Thanks.. Good read with interesting outsider points.

CajunT is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Not if you have realignment within the two conferences. The playoff payment would remain in place. If you create an entirely new conference by another name entirely, you would have to apply for a waiver, which would likely not happen.

Nice take, but please, athletically we're Louisiana or UL. Respectfully asking, no ULL, please...otherwise, you'll start seeing USMH..

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: Is Realignment Coming?

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Nice take, but please, athletically we're Louisiana or UL. Respectfully asking, no ULL, please...otherwise, you'll start seeing USMH..
    If you think that double L was from an innocent lack of knowledge I've got some very cheap bridges for sale on the I-10! Send your cash to cheapbridgesUganda.com.

Welcome Lucky. Very interesting comments. I think Louisiana and USM can help each other tremendously going forward. I hope some sort of regional alliance will happen soon.

Welcome! It's great to see a perspective from a Southern Miss fan, and I am definitely glad to hear that you and your fellow fans would like to see us in a conference together. It would be a great rivalry across the board for both schools.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Yes you do. And, that's the point. The whole idea behind this is to cut travel costs and keep our teams off airplanes. UTEP is just a move sideways in that regard. The idea here is to solve the problem of travel, not just take it to a different location. I'll sign off tomorrow on a realignment that solves the problem. This proposal does not.
    Let's send UTEP the way of New Mexico State and Idaho. Problem Solved LOL.

Not sure about MBB, but football, softball and baseball would definitely benefit from a regular schedule with USM. Throw in USA with softball/baseball and you got tri-State rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Let's send UTEP the way of New Mexico State and Idaho. Problem Solved LOL.
    I agree. UTEP is just bad geographically.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast