_ _ _ _
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Realignment Coming?

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Default Re: Is Realignment Coming?

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    You do see AD's talking about it.

You know who you don't see?

The CEO's.

And, they call the shots.
    Understand that too.

This just makes their inaction even harder to understand. They are political animals, and there is a lot of good PR to be had here for the presidents.

They can go on camera and say something like...

"In light of the financial crunch brought on by the COVID virus, I have decided to take actions to save the taxpayers of Louisiana as much money as possible. Part of the action plan will be moving our athletic programs to a new conference being formed. By doing this, we will be saving x-amount of dollars in travel expenses every year...."

Not only would they get points for being proactive in the taxpayers favor, they would move some of the heat away from academic areas that the REALLY don't want to cut.

My only conclusion for their inaction can be that travel expenses are not really that big of a problem, and they are used as a distraction tactic to shield poor performances in other areas.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Understand that too.

This just makes their inaction even harder to understand. They are political animals, and there is a lot of good PR to be had here for the presidents.

"In light of the financial crunch brought on by the COVID virus, I have decided to take actions to save the taxpayers of Louisiana as much money as possible. Part of the action plan will be moving our athletic programs to a new conference being formed. By doing this, we will be saving x-amount of dollars in travel expenses every year...."

Not only would they get points for being proactive in the taxpayers favor, they would move some of the heat away from academic areas that the REALLY don't want to cut.

My only conclusion for their inaction can be that travel expenses are not really that big of a problem, and they are used as a distraction tactic to shield poor performances in other areas.
    Their inaction isn't unusual for governments, and well heeled foundations. Instead of doing the logical things the leaders of these institutions will cater to the wrong groups. It's very typical of the various government, and government institutions.

Understand that too.

That just seems like short term thinking to me. I mean if travel costs were the only concern we could just join the Southland. But in a year or two when everything goes back to normal we're in a conference we don't really want to be in.

Also, I don't think you are taking into account that there are large entrance and exit fees to these conferences (as well as other expenses) that are much more expensive than a year or two of Sun Belt travel costs.

Cajunsmike is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    Why not attempt scheduling a football home and home with UTEP contingent upon scheduling a home and home basketball as part of the deal? We've been playing NMSU in football, why not UTEP? Might be more interesting than a MAC or FCS team. And I recall reading one of Jay's past columns there's a certain restaurant in El Paso he really likes.
    We made that proposal to NMSU and they were not interested. Not sure if UTEP would be interested.

CajunT is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Understand that too.

There are a lot of variables to the discussion. While conferences will make decisions together, there always will be discussions going on daily between AD's that will not be discussed publicly. I think no one believes there will be any realignment in the next year or two, but the discussion of scheduling alliances was going on at least four years ago and it will eventually be for football as well. The person that told me that would likely be the next phase in the G5 has been right on this subject all along. It is no coincidence that we recently agreed to play Southern Miss in football.

I spoke to two friends last night , one on staff at an SEC program and another at a CUSA program, and the idea that anyone can say for certain that there will be no schedule alliance between G5 football programs, or regional realignment is complete nonsense. Things are changing rapidly on the ground, and all conferences are still trying to work out attendance models that will keep themselves in compliance. Many things are being discussed amongst ADs and their coaching staffs. Some may never be agreed upon, but these are the people advising the presidents of these institutions.

Spot on T, lots of variables and, especially right now, lots of volatility in those variables. If there aren't a lot of ideas being discussed right now, then leaders aren't doing their due diligence. However, much like some are saying, how can people make decisions on canceling school for the Fall already, the same can be said for deciding on conference realignment during this time.

I would love to see a realignment, but rushing into something at this time seems foolhardy.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post

Also, I don't think you are taking into account that there are large entrance and exit fees to these conferences (as well as other expenses) that are much more expensive than a year or two of Sun Belt travel costs.
    There are ways around that.

Suppose CUSA decided that the CUSA-24 model was the way to go. To grease the skids, they could waive the entrance fees, and the SBC could preemptively end their exit fee clause.

If the schools really wanted to make something happen, they would do it.

There are ways around that.

Suppose CUSA decided that the CUSA-24 model was the way to go. To grease the skids, they could waive the entrance fees, and the SBC could preemptively end their exit fee clause.

If the schools really wanted to make something happen, they would do it.
    Sure, but wouldn't you have to get all 24 schools to agree first? I just don't see that happening.

CajunEXPRESS is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Sure, but wouldn't you have to get all 24 schools to agree first? I just don't see that happening.
    Probably don't even need a super majority to alter the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Probably don't even need a super majority to alter the rules.
    I think you need to accept the fact the schools don't believe what you believe.

The statement by the presidents that you called for can be almost identical talking about non conference scheduling...without the expense of being in a different league.

Why would ANY G-5 program move to a 24 member conference when 1) the money pie won't be any bigger and 2) the left behind conference will get filled with JMU, Liberty, Kennesaw and the rest of the programs wanting to move up? Television contract wise, it's suicide.

CSUA is the prime example where bigger wasn't better...what makes this 24 team "super conference" any better? G-5 is G-5 in the media world.

Word is that the biggest opponents to realignment in CUSA are La Tech, Marshall and Old Dominion. I can kind of understand the first two, but ODU is a real head scratcher.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    I think you need to accept the fact the schools don't believe what you believe.

The statement by the presidents that you called for can be almost identical talking about non conference scheduling...without the expense of being in a different league.
    Exactly, Jay. Presidents are much more comfortable with the devils they know than the devils don't, or in this case, the devils they used to know. If any movement happens, it will be out of sheer desperation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Word is that the biggest opponents to realignment in CUSA are La Tech, Marshall and Old Dominion. I can kind of understand the first two, but ODU is a real head scratcher.
    I get ODU they will probably be the odd man out like ULM and UTEP

La tech makes zero sense their budget is stretched out paper thin

That just seems like short term thinking to me. I mean if travel costs were the only concern we could just join the Southland. But in a year or two when everything goes back to normal we're in a conference we don't really want to be in.

If the conventional narrative is that many sports lose money and football drives everything. Technically not much football money has been lost yet, whereas sports that may have lost money on their own were cancelled, if so, wouldnt that have actually been a positive cash flow?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    I get ODU they will probably be the odd man out like ULM and UTEP

La tech makes zero sense their budget is stretched out paper thin
    La Tech and Marshall I get from an ego perspective. I don't agree with it, but I can understand it.

Unless they are talking about swapping out teams, I don't see any existing members being odd-men out. Two 12 team conferences, built out of the East and West seems to me would be the most cost-effective, least-change option.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    If the conventional narrative is that many sports lose money and football drives everything. Technically not much football money has been lost yet, whereas sports that may have lost money on their own were cancelled, if so, wouldnt that have actually been a positive cash flow?
    I am not sure I agree with this logic. The cost (expenses) of these teams didn't magically go away (Tuition, Room, Food, etc), while the income immediately stopped. These sports start off deep in the red and then chip away at that debt as the season progresses.

LaCajunsFan is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I like the idea of tx state joining cusa with all the other tx schools, and we take USM in their place....plus Marshall and UAB for good measure. Helps our conference and cripples cusa at the same time.

I am not sure I agree with this logic. The cost (expenses) of these teams didn't magically go away (Tuition, Room, Food, etc), while the income immediately stopped. These sports start off deep in the red and then chip away at that debt as the season progresses.
    I thought dorms were closed so shouldnt refunds be in order?...yes they kept salaries, many of these sports are not full counter.so.shouldnt have been on hook for full tuition cost....and way less travel. They wouldnt make it in to the black (some.might say either way) but seems they would be climbing out of the hole faster than digging?

La Tech and Marshall I get from an ego perspective. I don't agree with it, but I can understand it.

Unless they are talking about swapping out teams, I don't see any existing members being odd-men out. Two 12 team conferences, built out of the East and West seems to me would be the most cost-effective, least-change option.
    I doubt we see a true merger schools will group with other schools that give them the best TV contracts and travel affordability..

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast