_ _ _ _
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Is Realignment Coming?

For Boomer: "YOU ARE A MENTAL MIDGET IF YOU BELIEVE TECH WILL JOIN A CONFERENCE WITH MONROE CAMPUS, LIKEWISE USM & SOUTH AL!!!! LOLOLOLOL

Default Re: Is Realignment Coming?

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDawg View Post
    For Boomer: "YOU ARE A MENTAL MIDGET IF YOU BELIEVE TECH WILL JOIN A CONFERENCE WITH MONROE CAMPUS, LIKEWISE USM & SOUTH AL!!!! LOLOLOLOL
    good point, so please leave the university system they are in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    good point, so please leave the university system they are in as well.
    We already have an R3 school dont need 2

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I don't think ULM survives this long term. They can say they only use $4.5M of their transfer allowed, but once it all goes away next year that's $4.5M they won't have to fill that hole.

We no longer need non football playing schools because it's not about the markets. Four Divisions of Five Football playing schools would be ideal.

Just like when the realignment of the Wac took place, damned be the egos, this is about financial stability going forward. It you can not afford to fly your springs 900 miles, you can join the realignment or enjoy your ego in a lower division. It's time to crap, or get off the pot. Tech can posture all they want, some of their fans are starting to be more concerned about their program's financial future. And some of their fans are still beating their chest about a win against a mediocre Alabama team 23 years ago on web sites. Those fans still believe big sugar daddy Davison is going to back up his trucks loaded with cash to save them once again. This time around, no one is going to bail them out at the tune of $7M they transfer from the state. Good luck with that.
    Lord, we've been talking about ULM not surviving for over a decade now. I include them because until THEY say they can't do it, I assume they can (bowing to your intelligence of course lol). They don't have a lot of resources, but they also have virtually no debt. Bruno was good in that regard.

Little Rock is in the footprint and makes for a good travel partner for ASU. Besides, they've been in the Sun Belt as long as we have. UTA's proximity to Denton makes them a natural. They don't share in CFP revenue. I don't think nine is a good number for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Lord, we've been talking about ULM not surviving for over a decade now. I include them because until THEY say they can't do it, I assume they can (bowing to your intelligence of course lol). They don't have a lot of resources, but they also have virtually no debt. Bruno was good in that regard.

Little Rock is in the footprint and makes for a good travel partner for ASU. Besides, they've been in the Sun Belt as long as we have. UTA's proximity to Denton makes them a natural. They don't share in CFP revenue. I don't think nine is a good number for baseball.
    Will ULM get all their P5 game money if no fans or 25% are allowed

they are also down a money game this year ..

CharlieK is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDawg View Post
    Almost 1300 posts here. What a weird obsession you have.

CajunT is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Blog Entries

Sure, and we've been talking about Tech not having money for 20 years now and they've found away to keep their heads above water as well. But my point is this will be the greatest financial challenge we've experienced in decades, especially in Louisiana because our economy was already hurting before the pandemic. As per debt, we have over $200M at UL, but our operating budget helps us survive. And for the record, I don't leave ULM out to pacify the "dawg sack licking nation", I just don't believe they make the cut financially with the combination of lost season tickets revenue and the state transfer.

I'm willing to look at your point of non football playing schools for the sake of discussion. In a model of Four Divisions with Five Football playing programs, you mention ULAR and UTA for baseball. They would only address one side of the expanded conference, which non football playing programs would you add to the other side of the conference?

Well, if you go back to previous posts, my thought is based not on four divisions of five schools, but a ten team football league like we have now, plus the two non football schools. This league stretches from East Texas (UNT, Rice) to Alabama. I'm looking for a league that thinks only about us and not the rest of the Sun Belt or CUSA schools not listed.

Blog Entries

Well, if you go back to previous posts, my thought is based not on four divisions of five schools, but a ten team football league like we have now, plus the two non football schools. This league stretches from East Texas (UNT, Rice) to Alabama. I'm looking for a league that thinks only about us and not the rest of the Sun Belt or CUSA schools not listed.
    Okay, if we are talking about 2 Divisions instead of 4, I would prefer Rick Cleveland's model of 12.

"I'd take Southern Miss, UAB, Louisiana Tech, Rice, North Texas and Middle Tennessee State from CUSA. I'd take Arkansas State, South Alabama, Louisiana, Troy, Georgia Southern and Georgia State from the Sun Belt."

I believe it would give us a slightly stronger football conference and a marginally better TV contract with both ESPN and CST. With 12 schools, you don't need non football playing schools as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    Almost 1300 posts here. What a weird obsession you have.
    Ever been to ruston?

CharlieK is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    Ever been to ruston?
    Oh yes. I sure as ____ wouldn't advertise the fact I chose to live there for my college years.

Okay, if we are talking about 2 Divisions instead of 4, I would prefer Rick Cleveland's model of 12.

"I'd take Southern Miss, UAB, Louisiana Tech, Rice, North Texas and Middle Tennessee State from CUSA. I'd take Arkansas State, South Alabama, Louisiana, Troy, Georgia Southern and Georgia State from the Sun Belt."

I believe it would give us a slightly stronger football conference and a marginally better TV contract with both ESPN and CST. With 12 schools, you don't need non football playing schools as well.
    Not bad, but I don't like the travel with MTSU and the Georgia schools. Again, all of this is supposed to be predicated on reducing travel costs. While this doesn't bring us to App or CCU I don't think it goes are enough as far as travel is concerned.

Blog Entries

Not bad, but I don't like the travel with MTSU and the Georgia schools. Again, all of this is supposed to be predicated on reducing travel costs. While this doesn't bring us to App or CCU I don't think it goes are enough as far as travel is concerned.
    Well you could flip the two Georgia schools for Texas St and UTSA, but does that make you a better football conference? I don't think so and while the ultimate goal is to save money, football still drives the bus.

All schools are in the CST footprint and ESPN is still part of your package. Why is that important to us? Our largest alumni base is New Orleans/Northshore, Houston and Dallas. With that package we are in all those markets.

I also prefer the Rick Cleveland model, but how do you make that happen? Starting a new conference means no automatic bid. It also means a renegotiation of television contracts. Both of those things are potentially very distasteful to administrators. So, the practical way to do this is a merger. It spills more bile than blood in the short term.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Louisiana84 View Post
    I also prefer the Rick Cleveland model, but how do you make that happen? Starting a new conference means no automatic bid. It also means a renegotiation of television contracts. Both of those things are potentially very distasteful to administrators. So, the practical way to do this is a merger. It spills more bile than blood in the short term.
    If you could get these programs to come together, one or both conferences will not survive all those movements. So you would have to reach an agreement to use the name of an existing conference. You either remain the SBC or CUSA. The same will hold true for this schools that remain in those conferences. Neither conference will find enough programs to fill the void of the programs that have left.

Outside of the cave, in the bright sunlight.

If you could get these programs to come together, one or both conferences will not survive all those movements. So you would have to reach an agreement to use the name of an existing conference. You either remain the SBC or CUSA. The same will hold true for this schools that remain in those conferences. Neither conference will find enough programs to fill the void of the programs that have left.
    This is the only question that matters right now. Will the NCAA and the CFP issue the waivers needed to allow a new league to attain autobids and a share of the CFP money? If not, then this entire discussion is mute.

For Jay, we can can wishcast all we want about UTA and LR. The fact is they are an obstacle to realignment, not part of the solution.

Reality dictates we either make peace with NMSU and UTEP as conference mates or we do nothing realignment wise until we get autobids for an airport meeting conference like Cleveland suggested.

With all the schools that are still standing what would make sense is conference one: UTSA, Tx St, North Tex, Rice, Arkst, tech, ULM, UL, USM, Troy, South Al, and UAB..... conference two: MTSU, WKU, Marshall, ODU, Liberty, App St, Charlotte, Coastal, Gstate, Georgia Southern, Fiu, and FAU. The odd men out would be UTEP and NMSU. This is what is logical and they could schedule 2 cross conference non- con games for conference superiority.

Blog Entries

I don't think nine is a good number for baseball.
    Except on the field.

Nine is the perfect number for baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Reality dictates we either make peace with NMSU and UTEP as conference mates or we do nothing realignment wise until we get autobids for an airport meeting conference like Cleveland suggested.
    If this ever happens it will be quick and stealth, at a major airport (which rules out the crop duster field in the RGL Metroplex). Confidentiality will be paramount since there will be some fumble hurt involved.

LaTech, UNT, ASU, Rice, Louisiana, USM, USA, UAB, Troy, ULM. Add UTA and LR for non-football sports. I really could care less about who's in the conference that "we don't like". As long as there's a chance at good rivalries and travels costs are cut down. Let's stomp a mud-hole and walk it dry. As for great TV markets, fingers crossed. Regional TV might make more sense, given the reality that we are G-5. Make lemonade out of lemons on our way to 10+ wins and national rankings (among other things).

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast