_ _ _ _
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 60 of 60

Thread: Hayden Cantrelle preparing for every crazy option with MLB draft

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    I am routinely called, and refer to myself, as a coonass. Does that make me racist against myself?
    It's all soooo tired and ridiculous. He's offended, she's offended, they're offended. Who gives a frick? I'm sick of it all

  2. #42
    Dad04's Avatar
    Dad04 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    337
    Posts
    6,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    No, in the proper context it means "stolen or cheated". There is nothing new in the use of this word. I would be more upset with a modern group of people in this country that refer to themselves as gypsies and their lifestyle.
    The verb is rooted in the noun Gypsy.

  3. #43
    Dad04's Avatar
    Dad04 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    337
    Posts
    6,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    It's all soooo tired and ridiculous. He's offended, she's offended, they're offended. Who gives a frick? I'm sick of it all
    Why even comment? You are obviously less apathetic than claimed.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,288

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Why even comment?
    Because your comment was sooo ____ing retarded

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,288

    Default Re: Hayden Cantrelle preparing for every crazy option with MLB draft

    Oh, was that offensive, too?


  6. #46
    CajunT's Avatar
    CajunT is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    12,237
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Hayden Cantrelle preparing for every crazy option with MLB draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    The verb is rooted in the noun Gypsy.
    And yet your average person hasn't a clue and doesn't care because the intent is not there. JMI

  7. #47
    Dad04's Avatar
    Dad04 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    337
    Posts
    6,983

    Default Re: Hayden Cantrelle preparing for every crazy option with MLB draft

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    And yet your average person hasn't a clue and doesn't care because the intent is not there. JMI
    Obviously. Some would care if they knew "gypped" or the more commonly used "jewed" were offensive. Some obviously don't care who they offend, intentionally or not, which was proven here. Just a social experiment.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Lafayette, LA
    Posts
    12,308

    Default Re: Hayden Cantrelle preparing for every crazy option with MLB draft

    Exactly, its not a race or protected class of people. It's a term people associate with. This whole argument is crazy. And to use "racial slur" was not appropriate for the context of the comment made earlier. If someone wants to be offended by it, as you appear to be, that is with them.

  9. #49
    CajunT's Avatar
    CajunT is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    12,237
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Hayden Cantrelle preparing for every crazy option with MLB draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Obviously. Some would care if they knew "gypped" or the more commonly used "jewed" were offensive. Some obviously don't care who they offend, intentionally or not, which was proven here. Just a social experiment.
    If you are Jewish, I can understand some sensitivity toward the word. But how can you know the intent without knowing the person? Should we make all words that people considered insensitive, illegal? For many people it was considered a colloquial term used for many years, without intent.

    Call me crazy, I know Jewish people are not monolithic in their views when it comes to politics and world events. But if I was a Jew, I would be more concerned with the wave of anti-semitic rhetoric today coming from Europe, the UN and college campuses across the United States instead of the unintended use of a word that may be considered insulting.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    23,502
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Hayden Cantrelle preparing for every crazy option with MLB draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    I am routinely called, and refer to myself, as a coonass. Does that make me racist against myself?
    Depends if its a 5K or a marathon.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Louisiana A
    Posts
    23,502
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Hayden Cantrelle preparing for every crazy option with MLB draft

    In the long run if a people really identify with the bigger word, the derogatory derivative should be avoided.


  12. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Paradise
    Posts
    20,629

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    I am routinely called, and refer to myself, as a coonass. Does that make me racist against myself?
    I've spoken to several people from around here that do take offense to being called a coonass.

  13. #53
    CajunEXPRESS's Avatar
    CajunEXPRESS is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    18,891

    Default Re: Hayden Cantrelle preparing for every crazy option with MLB draft

    Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I've spoken to several people from around here that do take offense to being called a coonass.
    As they should. It was always meant to be an insult. Still the Cajuns in their own way greatly diffused it. In modern vernacular de-weaponized it.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Flagship-Land
    Posts
    1,054

    Default Re: Hayden Cantrelle preparing for every crazy option with MLB draft

    Man, it must be the offsea...Oh never mind.

    I'm so offended.


  15. #55
    BeauCajun's Avatar
    BeauCajun is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Erath, La.
    Posts
    7,887

    Default Re: Hayden Cantrelle preparing for every crazy option with MLB draft

    Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaB View Post
    Man, it must be the offsea...Oh never mind.

    I'm so offended.
    Where's the band or fashion thread?

  16. #56
    Dad04's Avatar
    Dad04 is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    337
    Posts
    6,983

    Default Re: Hayden Cantrelle preparing for every crazy option with MLB draft

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    If you are Jewish, I can understand some sensitivity toward the word. But how can you know the intent without knowing the person? Should we make all words that people considered insensitive, illegal? For many people it was considered a colloquial term used for many years, without intent.

    Call me crazy, I know Jewish people are not monolithic in their views when it comes to politics and world events. But if I was a Jew, I would be more concerned with the wave of anti-semitic rhetoric today coming from Europe, the UN and college campuses across the United States instead of the unintended use of a word that may be considered insulting.
    If you don't know it's a slur you may find out the hard way. I can't be offended by redneck ignorance because I am not Jewish? That could be the most embarrassing rationalization for the use of slurs ever. Just wow. Shudda quit while you were ahead.

  17. #57
    CajunT's Avatar
    CajunT is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LAFAYETTE
    Posts
    12,237
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Hayden Cantrelle preparing for every crazy option with MLB draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    If you don't know it's a slur you may find out the hard way. I can't be offended by redneck ignorance because I am not Jewish? That could be the most embarrassing rationalization for the use of slurs ever. Just wow. Shudda quit while you were ahead.
    Good Lord, whatever! I'm almost certain you have insulted someone in life by saying something unintentionally. I'm also certain if you go through life searching for language, or actions from others that offend ,you will find them daily. Thanks, have a great Memorial Day!

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    VA Beach, VA
    Posts
    6,508

    Default Re: Hayden Cantrelle preparing for every crazy option with MLB draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    He didn't mean anything derogatory with his comment, if he even said it. Not every word in quotes in a paper was actually said. He might have used the term "screwed" and Foote softened it.

    I simply pointed out the ignorant use of the derogatory term as an example of behavior I personally find offensive. The comment is in a newspaper and fair game.

    If one person learned something, which has been acknowledged, then good.
    thats a good point...ive often seen 'lafayette' added to quotes

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    VA Beach, VA
    Posts
    6,508

    Default Re: Hayden Cantrelle preparing for every crazy option with MLB draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    I am routinely called, and refer to myself, as a coonass. Does that make me racist against myself?
    yes
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    VA Beach, VA
    Posts
    6,508

    Default Re: Hayden Cantrelle preparing for every crazy option with MLB draft

    i enjoyed the semantics\racism discussion very much.

    however,if i may ask an actual question about the draft.....how is one "ripped" off by a shortened draft, would it be more of a rio off to be drafted with nowhere to go and then maybe even released?

    with the extra year players seem to have greater options.

    some players could have actually gotten benefit of the doubt and improve their position by not playing.

    the draft was going to be shortened moving forward, regardless

    https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...-milb-changes/


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •