_ _ _ _
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus will impact MLB Draft-eligible Ragin' Cajuns

1. Default Coronavirus will impact MLB Draft-eligible Ragin' Cajuns

While the NCAA figures out how it is going to handle an extra year of eligibility for spring sport student-athletes whose 2020 seasons were canceled by the nation's coronavirus crisis, and as Major League Baseball determines whether it is even going to hold its annual player draft in June, UL coach Matt Deggs ponders how some of his top Ragin' Cajuns might be affected.

Dad04 is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Default MLB Draft Coach Deggs Point of View

Default Re: Coronavirus will impact MLB Draft-eligible Ragin' Cajuns

The more I learn about what might happen, the more I believe there won't be a blanked redshirt for everyone. It will be seniors only. JMO.

CajunVic is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    The more I learn about what might happen, the more I believe there won't be a blanked redshirt for everyone. It will be seniors only. JMO.
    Would they consider allowing the rest to burn a red shirt on this year?

For example, someone like 5 may prefer to redshirt and still go out next year as Junior rather than going out this year at .136.

I think that's on the table, but I would be surprised, based on what I heard, if this involves anything other than seniors.

CajunVic is online now Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

I think that's on the table, but I would be surprised, based on what I heard, if this involves anything other than seniors.
    If I understood Bab today, it sounded like they are expecting to have everyone back.

They only had about five seniors to begin with. The question here is if anyone other than seniors will get that year back.

If not, it means we'd have about 20 seniors next year if all the juniors return.

They only had about five seniors to begin with. The question here is if anyone other than seniors will get that year back.

If not, it means we'd have about 20 seniors next year if all the juniors return.
    To me the real dilemma comes in with players like 5 that are draft eligible. I don't know how many other Juniors have a realistic chance of being drafted. 5 may be inclined to come back if he is still a Junior next year. If he is a senior, not so much.

Agreed. But I'm not sure there's even going to be a draft this year.

So you don't think D1 will go the route that D2 and D3 went?

Agreed. But I'm not sure there's even going to be a draft this year.
    If that is the case, it is the Juniors who are really getting screwed. All of them will come out with no leverage to be paid. That is almost a worse outcome for them than what would happen to Seniors this year if they did nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    So you don't think D1 will go the route that D2 and D3 went?
    D3 has no scholarships.
    D2 doesn't have as many and they have a lot fewer spring sports.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    If that is the case, it is the Juniors who are really getting screwed. All of them will come out with no leverage to be paid. That is almost a worse outcome for them than what would happen to Seniors this year if they did nothing.
    Screwed compared to who? NYC running short on morgue space. Life is made up of circumstances beyond control. It would be bad luck to go from top 10 round slot money to senior sign. On the list of bad luck springs, it's very low, though.

So the draft will happen, but will be over like dat. 5-10 rounds and done. I am reading that giving everybody a redshirt year is not financially feasible. Most likely scenario is only seniors get a do over.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...-deal-stoppage

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    So the draft will happen, but will be over like dat. 5-10 rounds and done. I am reading that giving everybody a redshirt year is not financially feasible. Most likely scenario is only seniors get a do over.

Not financially feasible? The NCAA says the same thing about those 11.7 scholarships for a 35 man roster. Baseball always gets the screw job from the NCAA.

Screwed compared to who? NYC running short on morgue space. Life is made up of circumstances beyond control. It would be bad luck to go from top 10 round slot money to senior sign. On the list of bad luck springs, it's very low, though.
    The comment was only relative to the parties involved an not intended to diminish the shortage of morgue space.

Addressed that with Dr. Maggard yesterday. He said the only financial hit would be the seniors. He believes after year one, the NCAA will go back to 11.7 scholarships. What he did say is that coaches in year two would be faced with some tough decisions.

Kendall Rogers said last night in a tweet he doesn't think its a done deal that it will pass. He said two major conferences are against it. Folks are guessing Big 10 and Big 12 but no one knows for sure.

Addressed that with Dr. Maggard yesterday. He said the only financial hit would be the seniors. He believes after year one, the NCAA will go back to 11.7 scholarships. What he did say is that coaches in year two would be faced with some tough decisions.

Kendall Rogers said last night in a tweet he doesn't think its a done deal that it will pass. He said two major conferences are against it. Folks are guessing Big 10 and Big 12 but no one knows for sure.
    If cost is the issue, can't the extend eligibility without extending scholarships?

Most are only getting 25% to 40% anyhow.

If it is only 5 rounds, then there will be a crap ton of players returning to school, more HS players continuing to college or JUCO and a huge over supply of players for number of spots available.

Also, don't forget that at the same time, MLB is working hard to decrease the number of minor league teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    If it is only 5 rounds, then there will be a crap ton of players returning to school, more HS players continuing to college or JUCO and a huge over supply of players for number of spots available.

Also, don't forget that at the same time, MLB is working hard to decrease the number of minor league teams.
    There is real concern bunches of minor league teams will fold this year as a result of financial losses. The end result may be the increasing talent level in college. College coaches will have a better selection. Who knows how long it lasts though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast